Print Page | Close Window

Newbie Hello

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4546
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Newbie Hello
Posted By: Dotwop
Subject: Newbie Hello
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:56am
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Darin Edwards and I currently live in Jersey, Channel Islands, originally from South Africa. I have always been into music, along with my dad, who had an awesome Naim system until his house burnt down in South Africa.
I have only recently started getting into vinyl again having purchased a Sony PS-HX500 turntable. I have a set of Polk Audio RTi A7 floor standers and a Yamaha RXV672 amp. A pretty middle of the range setup, but it sounds good to me and thats the most important thing.
The Sony has a built in preamp, but I am considering getting an external preamp to improve things.
Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: Old skool
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 2:24pm
Hello & welcome (fairly new here myself tbh).

Dude, you MUST get a separate pre amp if you like ur vinyl!

Best upgrade I ever did was buy a Gram Amp 2SE,15 odd years ago for my Rega P3. 

Transforms it completely. Night & day. 

Just upgraded to a Revelation M. Literally hearing it for the first time as I type this into my phone!!

Crikey it’s GOOD!  Mind you the old one still sings. 
Amazing for the money.  I wouldn’t look anywhere else mate. You’ve found it. 

I have family in Muizenburg btw 👍🏼

-------------
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....

Posted By: Dotwop
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
Howzit Tim,
Thanks for the info boet. I am dying to try one out, in fact I have asked Jon if I can borrow one on the loan scheme to see if it suits my system at all. I have a sister that lives in Cape Town near Kenilworth Race Course. Lakka place. Im from PE originally, spent most of my life there. Im grateful for your reply, I am once again excited to try and get a preamp
Darin

PS if you have upgraded, are you going t sell your Gram Amp?

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Hi Darin

I was out in Cape Town end of Feb/ early March this year.  Still got the tan!  Mind you, it's hotter here in Kent now!

Re my old Gram Amp, I kinda promised it to a mate who's bang into his vinyl but still uses the built-in phono stage on his amp (BIG no no).

He won't shell out for one cos he thinks his integrated amp is pretty good so should have a good phono stage (seriously, it cant be, sharing a power supply & sitting inside an amplifier).

Really just giving it to him to prove a point.  You'd never go back once you've heard the difference.

My old one would be considered a budget product but I think it punches well above it weight.
Yeah, the new Revelation M is better. Next level Sh*t.  To be fair, I've only just plugged the new one in & they take 72hrs to warm up.  Sounding better by the minute.
However, they cost £740 + a £155 power supply if you want the best out of it.  Think the old one was more like £170 back in the day.  Real giant killer.

Honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with any of Graham Slee's gear.  Love the ethos too.
Where else can actually speak to the guy who designed & but it??
 I shall be after some of their cables as soon as budget allows (just spent most of our savings on a supercharger kit for my old E46 M3. Try explaining that to the Mrs!).

Too many projects, not enough time & money.  Arrghhhh!

-------------
I think so....

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 8:50pm
Thanks for joining us Darin, I've just replied to your PM and should be able to arrange your loan. Comparing to your existing stage is the best way to assess the options.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:28pm
Welcome to the party Darin.
A stand alone phono amp will be an improvement over almost any integrated, especially if it's one of Grahams designs.
I hope you enjoy the loan amp, let us know how you get on.

Happy Listening
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 7:31pm
Another welcome from me, Darin. Enjoy your loan amp!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:51pm
try it & see. 
Can’t say fairer than that. 

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:25am
hi Darin, and welcome! The customer service is exemplary, too.
Enjoy the loan.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Enrae9
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 6:15pm
Hi All
I'm Neil
I think I've been a member quite a while but can't remember if I posted here to introduce myself
I have been following Grahams Phonos since I met a member of another forum who was an electrical engineer/part time magazine reviewer and big fan of Grahams
Anyway I've been on a journey with my vinyl kit and I've found myself without a phono stage for more than 18 months now - although a friend who likes to box swap has loaned me quite a few reasonably priced stages
I think I'll read a lot more about the Accession here and try and get some feedback
Thanks

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:23pm
Thanks joining us Neil. My feedback on the Accession is they are both great and I suggest borrowing the appropriate one asap.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:00pm
Welcome Neil, now's the time to get a loan of a phono stage, if you can stretch to the Accession, you'll be pleasantly surprised just how good vinyl can be.

Happy Listening 
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks joining us Neil. My feedback on the Accession is they are both great and I suggest borrowing the appropriate one asap.

Yeah I've been reading through all the posts since they were announced
I have an Origin Live Deck and Arm and Steve Baker raves about the Accession
I recently tried an AuroraSound Vida which is highly regarded, i found it very good with some tracks but generally on most of the tracks i use for reference'the top end was lifeless and clinical (I'm not great at reviewsConfused)
I will probably take you up on the offer 

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Welcome Neil, now's the time to get a loan of a phono stage, if you can stretch to the Accession, you'll be pleasantly surprised just how good vinyl can be.

Happy Listening 
Ian

Thanks Ian
From what I've read so far I think it'll be a nice surprise getting to hear the Accession - I'm looking forward to hearing it or should I say Hearing the Music !!

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:07pm
You've hit the nail on the head there.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: onthebeach
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:17am
Hi
I’ve just joined this forum to get some advice and tap the knowledge of the members especially regarding phono amps.
I have a new L*nn Majik with 9cc arm and Adikt mm cart,Rega elex r amp into ATC smc11 speakers also have a Cyrus cdt and Arcam irdac ii but vinyl is what I listen to most.
So I’ve decided that the best upgrade would be a phono amp but which one.Would I see a marked improvement with the communicator?Or would I have to aim higher?
I look forward to any advice 
Mark 

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
My advice would be to try them both on loan. 
Maybe with a pair of interconnects.

-------------
I think so....

Posted By: onthebeach
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm
Thanks Old Skool I’ve just sent John a message.
Cheers 

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by onthebeach onthebeach wrote:

Hi
I’ve just joined this forum to get some advice and tap the knowledge of the members especially regarding phono amps.
I have a new L*nn Majik with 9cc arm and Adikt mm cart,Rega elex r amp into ATC smc11 speakers also have a Cyrus cdt and Arcam irdac ii but vinyl is what I listen to most.
So I’ve decided that the best upgrade would be a phono amp but which one.Would I see a marked improvement with the communicator?Or would I have to aim higher?
I look forward to any advice 
Mark 
Welcome to the forum Mark!

With the equipment you have I would say aim higher than a Communicator - good as that is. A Reflex M or an Accession would make a great partner with your front end. But the loan scheme is definitely the way to go to find out for yourself.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:27pm
Thanks for joining us Mark and for your PM. I think trying an Era Gold V is a smart move and hope it will increase your listening pleasure.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: hippyeverafter
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm
Hi,

Welcome to the forum and the world of Graham Slee. I have a Majestic Dac, A pair of Proprius, Accession and a Solo Ultra Linear. The best compliment any manufacturer or Owner can get is " Wow it's like being there live " and that's what my Brother said to me when playing a cd. So enjoy.

-------------
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:09pm
Well said Terry's brother!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: DeVries
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 7:10pm
Hi All,
Just recently joined and have received a loaner Reflex M / PSU from US loan program coordinator @BAK (Thanks Bruce!). 
Man...!...... this is one suhweet phono preamp! I’m already seriously impressed. I think I’m hearing, for the first time, what my Harbeth Super 5’s are capable of. 
Amazing clarity and a soundstage I’ve never experienced before. So locked-in and expansive. The weight and focus of the low end is jaw dropping. 
Wonderful!!

-------------
- Stuart

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:14pm
Thanks for joining the community Stuart and sharing our enjoyment of records through the Graham Slee gear. Those are nice speakers what is your source equipment please?

-------------
Jon

Posted By: DeVries
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks for joining the community Stuart and sharing our enjoyment of records through the Graham Slee gear. Those are nice speakers what is your source equipment please?

Thanks for the welcome!
I’m using a MoFi Ultradeck turntable with their Ultratracker mm cartridge and 10” tone arm. For power I use a 1978 Marantz 2285b that I bought new and had refurbished a few years ago. 

-------------
- Stuart

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 9:28pm
You are most welcome Stuart. Others will add to it and that's decent gear you have. It shows that good equipment lasts and just needs a service now and then.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Starman53
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
I found this forum from another website that stocks Graham Slee amps and headphone amps. I can name if permitted as this chap in England also builds cartridges and sells vinyl.
Anyway, my name is Peter, I have a L*nn LP12, which I have owned for 40 years and recently upgraded it by having the following fitted: Kore, Ekos SE/1 Arm, Urika phono stage and Krystal MC cartridge, plus Radikal power supply.
I also have a Klimax DS streamer and Klimax Kontrol.
Speakers are Adam's Artist 6 Aktiv.
I am interested in returning to a passive system, which then requires amplification plus new speakers.
So far I have had  home demo of L*nn amps and Kudos X2 speakers. I am interested in hearing the GS amps once I have obtained my speakers

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:00pm
Hi Peter,
Welcome to the forum. Proprius amps all the way then. Connect your pre amp with Libran balanced interconnects and you’re away.

Two choices longer balanced interconnects to get the amps over to the speakers with a short speaker cable or the more traditional short interconnects with longer speaker cable runs.

Try the Spatia speaker cables while you’re at it.

Chris

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:05pm
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply, from looking at the various images, the amps (mono) can be fitted to the backs of the speakers. Plenty of ideas to think about
Peter

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:45pm
Some serious upgrades to that LP12 Peter. Wonder what the Urika would sound like via a Majestic dac?

Chris

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:51pm
Hi Chris,
When I get my speakers, then that would be the time to try

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:39pm
Thanks for joining us David. I believe you are UK based so please let me know if I can help with a Proprius amp and cables loan.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:04pm
Hi Jon,
When I get some speakers I will be in touch, thanks.
David

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:15pm
Glad to help when you are ready David.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: goloba
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:06pm
Hi, another newbie here!
My name's Alex and I live in the german city where Porsche and Mercedes-Benz has its headquarter ;-)
Why am I here? Although I'm happy with my hifi-gear since almost 20 years and I rather buy vinyl records than equipment, I accidentally discovered the Accession C in the www and fell a little bit in love. Maybe it could be the first step to build up a minimal phono system (my only musical source is a (little pimped up) REGA P25 with an Ortofon Rondo Red retipped with a Shibata needle). After reading a little bit about the Accession I stumbled upon the loaner program and here I am.
Kind regards,
Alex

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm
Welcome to the forum Alex! 

You've definitely come to the right place for fine sounding phono amps - and the loan scheme is an ideal place to find out for yourself what Graham's kit can do for you. Smile

The Accessions (both MM and MC models) are at the top of their game, and pair the Accession MC with an Enigma PSU1 and you'll have possibly the last phono amp you'll ever need!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:54pm
Welcome Alex, you will need to contact CageyH (Kevin), he is the European loan coordinator. Actually he just took over from Suggs, so this will be new to you both.

Click the dropdown to the right of your username and select Send Private Message, and paste CageyH where it says To Username, and make your request.

Here's hoping you'll love it.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 5:45am
Originally posted by goloba goloba wrote:

Hi, another newbie here!
My name's Alex and I live in the german city where Porsche and Mercedes-Benz has its headquarter ;-)
Why am I here? Although I'm happy with my hifi-gear since almost 20 years and I rather buy vinyl records than equipment, I accidentally discovered the Accession C in the www and fell a little bit in love. Maybe it could be the first step to build up a minimal phono system (my only musical source is a (little pimped up) REGA P25 with an Ortofon Rondo Red retipped with a Shibata needle). After reading a little bit about the Accession I stumbled upon the loaner program and here I am.
Kind regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

Welcome aboard.
Drop me a PM with your address and I will be in touch about the loan of the Accession C.

Regards,

Kevin

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:57pm
Hi Jon,
I have seen some speakers that I really like. I have a friend in Hull who has them: Totem Tribe Towers
Is it possible to get 2 of the mono Proprius amps to demo with these speakers.
Regards
David

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 10:21pm
Yes try the loan scheme but fanthorpes in hull are Graham Slee dealers?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 11:17pm
Yes but they don't have the speakers that I want to demo,
I have emailed them

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net