Print Page | Close Window

Accession MC or MM stage plus Elevator

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4456
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession MC or MM stage plus Elevator
Posted By: Jeremyh
Subject: Accession MC or MM stage plus Elevator
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:12pm
My first posting so please forgive any breaches of etiquette.  

I have a Garrard 301 with Audio Technica OC9, very basic phono stage which I am looking to replace, feeding an Audio Note Meishu valve amp driving some old ProAc supertower speakers.  I was considering investigating the Accession all in one MC stage but was wondering whether anyone had yet had a chance to compare its performance with an Accession MM stage and Elevator?  Is one arrangement more "tweakable" than the other?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:45am
Welcome to the forum Jeremy.

A very interesting question, one that many of us are waiting to find the answer to Wink

-------------
Derek

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 3:33pm
Another welcome from me, Jeremy.

Yes, the Accession MC is waited with baited breath . . . ShockedTongue

The Accession (MM) + EXP route does of course give the option of using both high and low output cartridges, but if you're only a low-output user then, well . . .  

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:35pm
Thanks for joining us Jeremy on the forum. It's not too late to join the UK queue for the Accession MC, I'll be first although I'll have listen through the burn-in period then send it out to the next person.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:51pm
Bob's poimt about keeping the MM and MC options open is a good one. Moreover the Accession MM has switchable capacitor load options and the Elevator EXP has resistance loading options for MC so they should get the best out of either cartridge type. That has been my epereinmce in practice too!

I am interested in seeing the MC load options of the Accession MC.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I am interested in seeing the MC load options of the Accession MC.

The https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/accession-mc-phono-preamp.html" rel="nofollow - product page gives loading options as 

Quote 500, 300, 100 and 75 Ohms (300 plus 100 both on)

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm
Thanks Bob, I like the product page.

What is the capacitative loading?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Seems as though my original question was a little premature!  

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks Bob, I like the product page.

What is the capacitative loading?

There isn't any (now) as such. 2 stage RF filtering is provided.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
Thanks Graham

-------------
Jon

Posted By: savakntr
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:14pm
Hi Jeremy,

I am running on this combo right now.
The Elevator with Accession MM is, for now , the best combination to use with an MC cartridge.
Two days ago I had auditioned the Gryphon Sonett and believe me although it was good, at no point wanted to get it and replace the Graham Slee combo.

On the other hand the loading options that the elevator  is providing  are not easily found.
My Kiseki purple heart sounds perfectly at 800 ohms and I do not know how it would sound with Accession MC, but I will find out for sure.

TIP:  last Friday, I got the AnalogMagik software with the LPs and  had a Torus isolator transformer installed and connected with the the Graham Slee combo and my preamp. The cartridge allignment and the power isolator simply made the sound from another planet.

an Audiofool

-------------
If you aren’t thoroughly confused, you haven’t been thoroughly informed

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:37pm
Thanks for the advice, very glad to hear that the Graham Slee combo stands up well to the Gryphon - there is certainly a financial advantage! You note that the Elevator settings are not easy, is it a matter of trial and error until the sound is right?

Posted By: savakntr
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:38pm
The opposite, the settings are very easy.
The thing is that you have to try combinations to see what is right for your ears.

-------------
If you aren’t thoroughly confused, you haven’t been thoroughly informed

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net