Forum Description: Because it's #AllAboutTheMusic
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4417
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 1:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Vinyl Quality Experience
Posted By: hippyeverafter
Subject: New Vinyl Quality Experience
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:57am
I have been listening to Vinyl since the late Sixties and a had modest collection of about 400 LP's and almost all bog standard copies not worth trying to sell on!. A couple of years ago I made the decision to donate them all to charity and rebuild with a more eclectic library. As I had most on CD ( Now ripped to FLAC )and in digital it was not a hard decision to make and so now I have about 100 LP's including boxed sets purchased since then. My experience with the quality of these newly acquired titles ranges from excellent ( no surface noise, pops or clicks ) to downright taking the Mick. For example two Eric Clapton boxed sets that were so dirty ( Looks like they had been dragged along the floor ) to loud pops and clicks and being unplayable. The latest disaster was a " Stranger Things " limited edition boxed set that was so noisy that at times it was hard to hear any music at all, These and others were sent back  for an exchange or refund. Incidentally I always clean new Vinyl on my RCM. As far as I am aware rarely had this experience in the past. Vinyl may be in a resurgence phase but Caveat EmptorAngry.

-------------
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:56pm
Wise words of warning. I buy and clean (using a RCM as you do) more second hand vinyl than new releases. Similar experiences to you on the latter Terry, some great cuts and some atrocious with a few sounding like squashed digital mixed cut too hot onto vinyl.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: oldagetraveller
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:07am
Like Jon, I tend to buy second hand l.p.s and clean them on a r.c.m..
The majority of the new stuff I have bought has been awful, clicks, pops, very poor with regards sound quality, scuffs and scratches on the record surface (sealed copies), warped etc.. Most returned to sender for refund then a used, original sought.
Don't get me started on the proudly emblazoned "digitally remastered" (on re-issues) either.LOL

-------------
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.

Posted By: McHolmeM
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:13pm
For me recent new vinyl purchases have also been a bit of a mixed bag. The most recent, The Secret Sisters You Don't Own Me Anymore, was however first class in all areas. In fact the fella responsible for the vinyl cut even gets a credit on the liner notes. 

Had an unusual experience last year with a MoFi Ultradisc box set. Having been a long time fan of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly I thought I'd treat myself to this limited edition version. It was ordered direct from the US last May and box set #816 duly arrived in October following release. 

The two records were put through a RCM and I thought I'd do a back-to-back comparison with my 1982 original copy. So side one of the old version was played first and then the needle dropped on the first track of LP One of the Ultradisc...but it wasn't I.G.Y. that I heard but New Frontier which is the first track of LP Two.

Somehow the most expensive record I've ever purchased only had 75% of the music as tracks 5 and 6 had been duplicated and appeared on both discs!

Complained to MoFi and photographed the inscribed matrix info of all four sides and emailed it to them and eventually - last week - a correct LP One arrived.  

The Ultradisc version is a treat to listen to and maybe I've got the only three-disc box set of The Nightfly in the universe!   

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:09pm
Thanks Malcolm - on Saturday I played the original Nightfly LP to a friend who wanted to listen to my system & although it is beautifully mastered, I have always felt that some tracks seem a bit bass light. In what ways does the Ultradisk improve on the original please?

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: Bi-wire
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 3:35pm
I find it's all a bit variable, though 'back in the day' when all we had was vinyl it could be pretty shoddy then too. I realise we're paying a premium for vinyl now and expect something for it but, perhaps our expectations are too high? Recently, most of the new vinyl I've bought has been ok and I tend to be selective when it comes to used stuff. Either way, it all goes through an RCM first.

-------------
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50

Posted By: McHolmeM
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:19pm
In answer to your question, Andrew, the word that springs to mind is expansive. 

The Ultradisc One-Step process appears to lift a veil on the music with the result that the presentation within the soundstage is enhanced in a pleasant unified manner which draws the listener in. The tuneful bass is certainly 'fatter' and deeper; in addition the multi-layered backing vocals are more prominent across the soundstage. 

Not a lot wrong with the original vinyl but this version elevates the music to a whole new level of enjoyment.

Maybe sound even better with an Accession MC...perhaps time to consider upgrading my Reflex C (which celebrates its third birthday this month)!  

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:36pm
That's a great review Malcolm, it almost made me order a copy.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:33pm
Please forgive an aside on RCM's from an earlier post on this thread.

One of my work colleagues just got a second hand RCM and used it yesterday. It removed almost all the low level crackle and a lot of pops/clicks, he described the LP as being black and shiny afterwards. Used or new a quick clean does help the music shine. No I am not on commission!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:23pm
I bought a number of second hand records today on a trip to a rather damp Whitby. I'm cleaning most of them tonight and playing a few whilst I work on the remainder. RCM's are great once you have one.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Baflar
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi all!  I'm not sure if there is a 'right' place to post this.  It's certainly about new vinyl, and about the experience, though it's really a very unusual hope for help!

My sister has just given me a birthday present of Mahler's Symphony No.8 by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Georg Solti (Decca).  New!  But, weirdly, the enclosed notes and libretto are for the version by The London Symphony Orchestra and Leonard Bernstein (CBS).  When I discovered this, my sister phoned the supplier, who was surprised, but said that was how it was supplied to him!

As you can imagine, enjoyment is definitely enhanced if you've got the right notes for the LPs concerned!  I'm wondering if, by any WQofF, anyone on this splendid forum site can solve the problem: how can I get hold of the right leaflet/booklet (or whatever it is) in any form?  Download, photocopy - I don't mind!  I'd happily pay a modest sum, too!

This feels a bit like casting out a message in a bottle, but... any helpful suggestion welcomed!

(P.S.  I had a look on the prestoclassical website, but they don't supply the leaflet to download.)

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 8:32pm
By coincidence, today I am visiting a music loving friend in Boise Idaho & he has the Hi-Res digi version. Here are screen shots of the attached booklet but I'm not sure if this is what would be with the LP:

(images downsized as file sizes are large)

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:40am
Surely the retailer will get you another new set to replace what you have? It seems at the very least fair trade laws would mean you can get hold of the actual paid for product?
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:20pm
For me new vinyl has been all over the place in terms of quality. I tend to pay attention to where things are pressed before buying. In the U.S., the bottom tier plants are United and Rainbo IME. The biggest problems with records pressed at these plants is non-fill and off-centeredness. Warps straight from the factory are also common because the plants are under a lot of pressure with the vinyl comeback trend to produce things as quickly as possible and make as many records as they can. So they don't allow LPs to fully cool when they come off the presses and cram them into jackets and shrinkwrap them too soon. That usually results in some type of warping. 

The better plants IME are RTI, QRP, Record Industry (Holland), and Pallas (Germany). But even there, there is no guarantee you will get a record free of defects. I usually wait for reviews and don't jump the gun with preorders or buy something right when it is released. Sometimes a new release or reissue will have a whole run with many reports of various defects. For those I usually wait it out, pass entirely, or try to buy from a retailer that is going to work with me if I get a bad copy. 

A few months ago I had to return two audiophile label jazz reissues that were pressed at one of the better plants listed above. They were warped right out of the package, probably due to the reason I mentioned above. Luckily the retailer was willing to work with me and accept the return, then inspect replacement copies for me. It's still a hassle and I had to pay to send the records back but they came through in the end. Many shops and retailers won't take returns or exchanges on new vinyl whatsoever. 

At B&M shops, I generally prefer to buy used or unsealed LPs. I can inspect them, and if there is a problem after I clean and play them the better shops in my area will at least allow me to return the LP for 100% store credit or give me a no questions asked refund. With new vinyl they won't always do that. 

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
In November I bought and really enjoyed three of the remastered Kat Bush albums on vinyl: The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, and Aerial. No clicks and I like the slightly increased dynamic range. Great to finally have Aerial as an LP and new copies of the other two.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

In November I bought and really enjoyed three of the remastered Kat Bush albums on vinyl: The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, and Aerial. No clicks and I like the slightly increased dynamic range. Great to finally have Aerial as an LP and new copies of the other two.

Very nice. I'm keeping track of reports on quality on those. I'd like to get the Dreaming remastered either on CD or LP. For HOL I think I'm good because I have AF reissue done by Hoffman and Gray and I can't imagine any version bettering it. I never had Aerial so I'll have to get it on some format. Also Red Shoes is missing from my collection. I don't like her pre-Dreaming stuff too much so I'm going to pass on those. 

Posted By: Baflar
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:50pm
For some unaccountable reason, I missed the post by Drewan77 about the Solti Mahler-8, until a few days ago!  Thanks, Andrew for the screen shots.  It goes part-way to shedding some light on whatever print material may have accompanied the original vinyl release.  Apparently, the original contained a 21-page booklet: rather more pages than your Idaho friend has!  I've no idea whether the original booklet was one of those slightly annoying enclosures that have the same thing in several languages, or whether it's really very informative and all in English.  I'm guessing that it does contain the full libretto however.

The vinyl release is still officially available new, but it seems to have been caught in the massive queue for production that is affecting supplies worldwide of anything other than the most popular LPs.  My sister attempted to get me a new copy, but was put off so many times over several months that she resorted to getting me a 'Near Mint' second-hand copy - hence the surprise at the wrong enclosure and the inability of the supplier to do anything about it!  Ho hum... Disapprove

Posted By: disjmr
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
The original Solti Mahler 8 release was 2 LP’s boxed, with a 21 page LP sized booklet. Only 2 pages of detailed notes in English, but it does have the full libretto in German, English & French, plus lots of photos. Certainly worth trying to get a hold of..

-------------
John R

Posted By: sheepskinstu
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:23pm
I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm

That sounds extremely frustrating. I had the same experience recently with two copies of Moses Boyd's Displaced Diaspora LP. I ended up giving up and just getting the CD. In some cases a looping groove like that can be fixed by using a conical stylus (never anything else!) and backcueing the loop several times. That will often leave a soft popping noise though, and it's not something we should have to put up with on a brand new LP, much less an expensive boxset. 

Earlier this year a friend gifted me an expensive 4xLP set and on the final side there was a deep scratch from poor factory handling. The rest of the set sounds amazing so you can imagine my disappointment. Trying to work with the label to get the issue sorted out. 

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:17pm
I was bought the ‘mama Mia - here we go again’ for Christmas double album.  I like the music and the recording is good (a lot better than cinema as perhaps should be expected).

Fly in the ointment, the pressing.  Returned 1 as there was an unseen background surface noise - no clicks but just an annoying swish for a Third of every revolution on the quieter tracks on side 1 in particular.

This was bought from HMV Newcastle and swapped at HMV in Hull.  Whilst ‘better’ it is still similarly noisy despite both havimh a good clean in my RCM and wonder if anyone else wants to admit to owning this and if so whether good or similar findings?

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

That sounds extremely frustrating. I had the same experience recently with two copies of Moses Boyd's Displaced Diaspora LP. I ended up giving up and just getting the CD. In some cases a looping groove like that can be fixed by using a conical stylus (never anything else!) and backcueing the loop several times. That will often leave a soft popping noise though, and it's not something we should have to put up with on a brand new LP, much less an expensive boxset. 

Earlier this year a friend gifted me an expensive 4xLP set and on the final side there was a deep scratch from poor factory handling. The rest of the set sounds amazing so you can imagine my disappointment. Trying to work with the label to get the issue sorted out. 

Sorry, only just seen your reply. In the end, I was torn between trying to do as you suggested or just sending it back as the set appears to be out of stock at most popular retailers unfortunately. Anyway, sent it back for a refund. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement that's sensibly priced. 

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:31pm
finally played my second Christmas record; Staying at Tamaras’ George Ezra.  Whilst music does what it says in the tin, recording reminds me of the first GE album and why I tend to buy little modern music.

The recording in many ways is fine detailed and generally clean but remains lacking in true dynamics/compressed an ‘loud’.

I have my adjustable gain set to listen between 10 and 11.00 on the clock face, the latter being as loud as I normally go unless the recording is particularly low when I have been known to push towards 12.00.  I found myself listening at little more than 9.00 so altered my adjustable gain to suit.

From memory the vocals are cleaner and crisper than his first album although haven’t played for a few months as other system improvements have taken place.

At least the pressing have proved ok with no noise between tracks; without much by way of quiet passages this shouldn’t intrude anyway!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
In follow up to the earlier comments re the re-mastered Kate Bush albums I bought a copy of ' kick inside' last weekend.

I haven't heard this for over 30 years and there were a few good tracks I had forgotten about.

Given that the only common component is my turntable and with the passage of time my recollection may have been a little wide of the mark but with these factors in mind the recording was good, Kate's voice carried the usual power though felt the overall balance had been morphed in to a more forward presentation with the lower frequencies 'flattened' with less power than I recall (albeit possibly connected to the last time listening the speakers had huge bass weight and scale) albeit what was heard today was tight and pretty enjoyable.  It would be interesting to compare with 'an original' though suspect the balance may have been tinkered with in the remastering?

As a footnote I thought I had one of Bobs 'warped' record (as seen on YouTube!) as when I looked at side B track two the arm was rising and falling quite significantly!  However, I freed off some surplus plastic from around the spindle hole and it was thereafter flat and the sound improved being a little warmer and less forward - maybe an unwanted artefact contributing to side 1;this now being warmer, sweeter and better balanced.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:41am

I have this box set and found the SQ excellent with very few pops and clicks and very low surface noise. Also have the Breaking Bad coloured vinyl box set and the quality is excellent on every disc in the set, Something I was not expecting considering the track record concerning coloured vinyl. Just shows what a lottery collecting vinyl today is.

-------------
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:27am
Yes but is it any different from the variances in quality in the 70s or 80s?  From my experiences it doesn’t appear so.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm
I think bad pressings have been prevalent in every decade. I think it's just one of those things that come with vinyl as a recording medium. Frustrating nonetheless. Smile

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
Just played a new independent local record shop purchase (Bug Vinyl) support the local trade of Jeff Wayne’s concept album War of the Worlds.

Enjoyed the music and whilst over 30 years since I have heard the vinyl album sound is very good; massive soundstage, powerful, tight, detailed and sweet.  Very clean and detailed vocals from Essex, Lynott, Burton and Covington amongst others.

Unlike my Kate Bush purchase this was a better recording that the original (from memory) and a quiet pressing too.

Recommended if you like the music.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:30pm
Two recent new records I've received have been pressed well:

The first one is Pure Pleasure's reissue of Billy Harper's Capra Black. Great 70s jazz originally on the Strata East label. 

The other is a reissue on the Paradise of Bachelors label of Mike Cooper's Trout Steel. Semi-obscure singer-songwriter stuff with some jazz and psychedelic touches. 

Both recommended. 

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:58pm
I have also had my share of quality issues with new releases even from the best pressing plants.
Recently had an issue with Muddy Waters 45 rpm from Analogue Productions - surface noise that I could not clean away.

Even with a MoFi 1-step of Stevie Ray Vaughan - this was actually more cosmetic than functional although I expect perfection at that price.

On the plus side 95% of what I buy has been great and online stores such as Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds have excellent customer service and in both cases sent me replacement discs without hesitation.

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
I have a copy of Lol Creme/Kevin Godley " Consequences " Cleaned the three discs with my Project VCS and I must say they sound superb considering it was released in 1977 and would put my modern pressings to shame!.

-------------
Terry

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:43pm
How do you like your Project VCS? I have yet to invest in a machine. Been doing it using Spin-Clean. How loud is it?

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
The Project VCS does what it says on the tin. It is essential for cleaning new records then putting them in a replacement anti static sleeve. Made the mistake once playing a new purchase before cleaning and you would not believe the crap left on the stylus after playing. It is fairly noisy so best to shut the door or use when the other half is not at home but I normally only use it on one album at a time. Also it is fairly heavy so needs to be in a static location although I have utilised an old HiFi stand on casters so store it in a cupboard.

-------------
Terry

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
The Moth is also a good cleaner & is the same idea as the VCS. It's quite loud - similar to a domestic vacuum cleaner but not so bad that you need ear defenders as some report.
A cleaner like this - or an ultrasonic - is almost essential for anyone getting back into vinyl seriously.
As Terry says, even new records are often full of muck & static & many 2nd hand ones play
beautifully after a clean.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:00pm
I support Rich's comments about the benefits and necessity of record cleaning.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:07pm
Good to see you back Jon, trust all is well.

Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:18pm
I'm okay, thank you Ian.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Good to see you back Jon, trust all is well.

Ian
+1

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:32pm
Thanks Ifor.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net