Print Page | Close Window

Gram Amp 2 Communicator vs Schiit Mani

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4373
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gram Amp 2 Communicator vs Schiit Mani
Posted By: RobDon
Subject: Gram Amp 2 Communicator vs Schiit Mani
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:26am
I have the Gram Amp 2 Communicator on loan just now and it sounds wonderful, very impressed with it and it's giving me the sound I've been looking for. I've got the Rega Fono MM Mk2 which is very good but the Communicator is better! Can't imagine how good it must sound with the PSU1 as well!

BUT ... I've never heard the Schiit Mani but it gets glowing reviews, it costs £149 shipped compared to £175 for the Communicator. I have read reviews though which say the Mani is not shielded and can pick up interference and hiss, etc. which I know the Communicator doesn't have problems with, the one I'm trialling is silent. I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy a Communicator and later the PSU1 for it. Big smile

Has anyone had the opportunity to hear both amps and compare them before I pull the trigger and order a Communicator? I'd be saving for the PSU1 as well!

Replies:
Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:41pm
You definitely won't regret buying a Communicator Rob. I've never heard one with a PSU1 but having heard what the linear supply does with other items of Graham's kit it will definitely improve it even more.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:08pm
If the designers haven't taken into account the need for proper EMC compliance to combat interference what else have they overlooked? Such basic oversights bring into question the competence of the designers and manufacturers.
I have a Gram Amp3 Fanfare, Genera and Reflex M, all of which perform brilliantly and don't appear to suffer from RF interference.
All benefit when powered by the PSU1, cleaner Bass and wider soundstage being the most prominent improvements in my opinion.
I know which way I would go.

Happy listening
Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:51pm
Best way would be to try the other brand at home to see how it suits you then you know you will have the best option for you. If you cannot home demo you probably have your answer.

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
Don't think there is any way I can test a Schiit Mani at home. Currently loving testing the Gram Amp 2 Communicator though - I think my mind is already made up!!! Thumbs Up

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 5:29pm
Well if it can't be tried wouldn't entertain it personally however good any write ups
May be.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Well if it can't be tried wouldn't entertain it personally however good any write ups
May be.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:12pm
Good for you Rob and it's good the loan scheme helps many of us audition HFC/GSP gear. I agree your ears should decide what's best, not the words you read online.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:08pm
Agreed, I probably wouldn't have bought a Gram Amp 2 Communicator until I heard just how good it really is with my own ears! Much more detail and open, clear 3D sound compared to my Rega Fono MM Mk2. I'll be ordering one this week then saving for the PSU1 upgrade.

Posted By: dillon
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:00pm
I had a Mani in my system to demo for a friend for a couple weeks. Its basic and half decent for the dosh. But the Grammy amp is in a different league. Easy choice!

I roll with a Revelation M, by the way.

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:46pm
I have a Schiit Mani coming tomorrow, so I will compare them directly over the next week or so. They have a 15 day return policy so if it sucks or isn't as good as the Communicator I'll be sending it back and ordering a Communicator. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by RobDon RobDon wrote:

I have a Schiit Mani coming tomorrow, so I will compare them directly over the next week or so. They have a 15 day return policy so if it sucks or isn't as good as the Communicator I'll be sending it back and ordering a Communicator. Thumbs Up

I'm a bit confused, because you wrote:

Agreed, I probably wouldn't have bought a Gram Amp 2 Communicator until I heard just how good it really is with my own ears!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:55pm
Sorry yes, I meant I was going to buy one after hearing it. I really want to hear the Schiit Mani though before I make a final decision.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 11:40am
OK so I got the Schiit Mani and have been running it for 2 days now. I'll run it for another couple of days to make sure it's past the burn in stage but so far it sounds very good, silent so no signs of any RF interference, humming, etc. just silent. 

Early days for the Mani but out of curiosity I switched back to the Communicator. Wow - sounds much better than the Mani at the moment. More detail, more 'musical', bigger 3 dimensional sound stage, it's louder too.

If the Mani doesn't improve, open up and become more musical then the clear winner will be the Communicator. Wink

Apparently Schiit products can take 100-300 hours to fully burn in:

"I have read and heard from several people that most of the Schiit products are going to take well into 100+ hours of "burn-in" to start really opening up and closer to 300 hours of burn-in time to really sound their best. Something to keep in mind. "

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 4:50pm
We have a winner!

After spending 5 days listening to both the Schiit mani and the Communicator, same LP's over and over to compare the sound (Steely Dan, Dave Brubeck, Yes, Kraftwerk, Earl Klugh, Daft Punk plus others) - I have to say although the Mani is very good, the Communicator still sounds better! Not a huge difference but still the Communicator offers better detail, more realistic instruments, more air between them too so you can hear each instrument more clearly, just all round more 'musical' than the Mani. Thumbs Up

I am returning the Mani and have placed an order for a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator from Audio Affair, with their 10% off just now I got one for £157.50. Big smile

I'll get the PSU1 at a later date.  

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:46pm
You've still got the loan unit for another week Rob so happy listening to the GA2 until your own unit arrives.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 10:38pm
That's the plan yes! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 8:18pm
Can anyone tell me how big a difference the PSU1 makes to the Communicator? Is it a noticeable improvement or only slight?

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:43pm
"My Audion Silver Knight pre has a superb valve phono stage, but only one, I needed two. Enter a 'White Knight' in the form of Graham Slee. He happily supplied two of his GramAmp2 phono stages. These are wonderful devices for beer money and my experience with them made me consider them capable of showing up front-end differences even at the high-end. I was right... Graham even included the optional bigger power supplies, which managed to lift the performance, particularly the sense of scale and openness, to a point where at times they were a match for the Audion stage..."

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/turntabletest01_e.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/turntabletest01_e.html

(17 year old review by Geoff Husband, TNT Audio magazine)

(you can also borrow a PSU1 from the loaner program)

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:26am
OK great, my Communicator arrives today so I'd like to try out a PSU1 before I splash £185 on one.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm

OK great, my Communicator arrives today so I'd like to try out a PSU1 before I splash £185 on one.

Please PM Jon (Fatmangolf) unless you already have.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm
OK great, I've sent him a PM, thank you.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 2:00pm
PM received. Loan soon

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Cyreg
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:23pm

Can anyone tell me how big a difference the PSU1 makes to the Communicator? Is it a noticeable improvement or only slight?

And Rob…..???
how did it work out for you with PSU1 on the Gramamp 2 Communicator II?

-------------
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   

Posted By: latinaudio
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm
Yeah Rob.
I also want to know your experience before jumping the wagon and spent on the PSUI.
I have a Reflex M Green, maybe the best investment in my rig.
That said, I tell others that it sounds way above its price, and at almost half the price of the Accesion is the entry ticket to real hi-end.
I find it to be the sweet spot in the Graham line, maybe the PSUI upgrade  is not worth the extra cash...
Comments welcome!

-------------
"Music nourishes the spirit"

Posted By: Cyreg
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:20pm
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/gram-amp-2-communicator-ii_topic4436.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/gram-amp-2-communicator-ii_topic4436.html

-------------
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net