Print Page | Close Window

Vinyl comeback

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Music
Forum Name: Record Shops
Forum Description: Just where do we buy records? (Record shops welcome here!)
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4258
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vinyl comeback
Posted By: Bonzo
Subject: Vinyl comeback
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
Not sure if this is the right place but a feed from Auntie Beeb announces that Sony will start pressing vinyl again for the first time since 1989. Production to start in March next year. 

Bit nonplussed with this news as an article in one of the magazines last year was all doom and gloom about vinyl production due to the age and lack of spares for the ancient equipment used in record production. 

Or is just that Sony have invested in building new machines when others wouldn't. I suppose all will be revealed in the fullness of time, but looking rosy if players like this enter the game.

Replies:
Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:40am
I read an article saying the same thing today. Sony are huge. They'll invest in new gear, surely?

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Bonzo
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:47am
That was my initial thought because when I read the article I found it had to believe that someone hadn't had spare lathe cutting heads made, can't be beyond an engineers skill (might be expensive) but people have parts for old cars made all the time. Looking forward to some of their back catalogue being reissued, better start saving.

Posted By: sheepskinstu
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:33pm
An interesting development certainly especially if they have indeed invested in new equipment. Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.

Posted By: Bi-wire
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:01pm
Yes. I saw this article too. I hope something good comes of it although, wasn't it Sony that was hell bent on replacing vinyl with their CD technology in the 80s and started vinyl's demise? That said, for some of us vinyl never really went away. For me, it became the enthusiasts end of the music spectrum. Like a good bottle of wine to be appreciated rather than CD's weekday vin ordinare.

-------------
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.

Depends on the wax used to cut the master and swarf removal. Also the cleanliness of the electroless plating solutions used to make the stamper from it.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: sheepskinstu
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:24pm
That's very interesting Graham. There's a fascination with using 180g vinyl but some of my best pressings are much lighter than this. Some of the mastering isn't the best either especially now it's digital.

I'm very happy that vinyl is still on an upward curve but I hope it doesn't become quantity over quality.

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.

Depends on the wax used to cut the master and swarf removal. Also the cleanliness of the electroless plating solutions used to make the stamper from it.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 4:29am

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
Having recently peered at various styli through a 250x microscope and tried to examine tham at 800x, I was reminded just how tiny the tips are and how wonderful records players are. Any dust that lands on the record can probably be cleaned off but otherwise will be heard through a hi-fi as noise. As Graham wrote above dirt that has been cut or impressed into the surface due to contamination of the media used in the process stages will leave its sound permanently in the record we receive.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
i've been hearing about HD vinyl records anyone got any news on this if and when it's coming
one thing i know it'll be expenive i bet

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:54pm
In what context?

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm
https://www.whathifi.com/news/hd-vinyl-promises-better-sound-and-cheaper-production" rel="nofollow - https://www.whathifi.com/news/hd-vinyl-promises-better-sound-and-cheaper-production

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:23pm
Doesn’t sound very likely or anything I would wish to be concerned about. If someone has a spurious idea let’s try and patient it!

Posted By: chapsjon
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:03am
I for one am (mostly) happy about the vinyl comeback. I feel so much more connected to the music being able to physically touch it, and actually like having to get up and flip the record. Vinyl is rarely background music to me. I am almost always listening, unlike digital, especially files. Where I'm not quite so happy is with the some rising costs on vintage records, but I think overall even that is worth it because it has kept some used record shops in business and opened others. Also, Discogs is am great resource for vinyl, and maybe wouldn't have nearly the number of sellers with such variety without incentive for profit.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:36pm
I probably said this before but my feelings on the current vinyl trend are mixed. Frankly I'm waiting for the mainstream portion of it to die down a bit, which I think is going to happen. Remember Beanie Babies, comic books, and baseball cards? All those things went through trends with market prices being severely inflated until they crashed. 

I said this elsewhere but you can already see mainstream shops in the U.S. like mall stores, B&N, and Amazon reducing their vinyl stock or doing liquidation. 

I think when the dust settles, vinyl will be back to a thing for audiophiles, music nerds, record collectors, etc. and fans of niche genres that have done well on vinyl over the years. I also think when the fad of half-baked popular reissues on colored vinyl and such dies down we'll get better quality pressings overall with less of the problems that have been an issue recently like off-center, factory warps, non-fill, etc. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: kgilroy
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:57pm
Agreed. It does have the symptoms of a fad. I think that CDs are also on the way out eventually. Streaming is so easy and convenient that I think it will continue to grow as the primary source of music and develop with more Hi Res options. That's how both my children listen to music.

Personally I prefer vinyl to any other format and I am very happy about the current situation since there are so many good LPs being produced.

I listen to Hi Res PCM and DSD files on my computer as background to whatever tasks I am doing online but digital still doesn't make me as happy as vinyl.

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:13am
Some of the recent LPs I've bought have sounded poor & will do the reputation of records no good at all,
but LP SQ always did vary widely. When at its best it is unbeatable.
I hope CD stays around for a lot longer. Ironically CD sound has really matured now -
just as some are trying to kill it off, as many tried to kill off Vinyl in the 80s & 90s.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
I am old enough to have started out with records, cassette tapes and even briefly 8 track before embracing CDs. As you know the early CDs were horrible but to me they sounded great at the time. I got caught up in all the enthusiasm for the new technology. I moved to SACD, XRCD etc looking for better sound and was quite happy for a while. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I got back into vinyl.

Some CDs do sound quite good but at least for me I find them a bit fatiguing after a while. I have uploaded my collection to my computer.

I can only speak from personal experience and possibly it would have been different with better equipment.

-------------
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Some of the recent LPs I've bought have sounded poor & will do the reputation of records no good at all,
but LP SQ always did vary widely. When at its best it is unbeatable.
I hope CD stays around for a lot longer. Ironically CD sound has really matured now -
just as some are trying to kill it off, as many tried to kill off Vinyl in the 80s & 90s.

CD has already been severely cut back due to flagging sales. I suspect this will continue until CD becomes a niche format, which it kind of already is right now. Majors and even indies have already been cutting back on CD releases and reissues. I still like the format and will continue to play it no matter what. I have over 4,000 of them and still buy new and used CDs on a regular basis. 

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

I am old enough to have started out with records, cassette tapes and even briefly 8 track before embracing CDs. As you know the early CDs were horrible but to me they sounded great at the time. I got caught up in all the enthusiasm for the new technology. I moved to SACD, XRCD etc looking for better sound and was quite happy for a while. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I got back into vinyl.

Some CDs do sound quite good but at least for me I find them a bit fatiguing after a while. I have uploaded my collection to my computer.

I can only speak from personal experience and possibly it would have been different with better equipment.

CD is very much a case by case thing. The overall sound of a CD will depend greatly on the quality of the original recording, what source was used, and how it was mastered. Just like with LP - there are horrible sounding pressings and good sounding pressings of any given album that's been pressed up a truckload of times. 

I have ripped a large portion of my collection to FLAC but I still prefer playing the physical discs when I can, for purely subjective reasons. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:14am
I prefer vinyl to CD if I have an option. Some of that is because of the poor quality of many early CDs, some because I grew of with vinyl and there's some nostalgia involved, but much of it is that to my ear it often sounds better. As I said before, I prefer physical formats partly due to the greater "connection" to the music. Even preferring vinyl, I have hundreds of CDs and will buy a CD over files if an album is not available on vinyl. I have ripped my CD collection to FLAC for those times when I am away from home or the convenience of setting up a playlist for background music. In these cases, I use my Mac mini and Audirvana to play my music files.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:36am
I think that it may be a generational thing. My adult son listens to music exclusively through streaming services as does my daughter.
Their comment when listening to records on my system was "wow, you don't know what you're missing"   Basically meaning that if you have never heard well recorded music on a good system you have no reference point relative to what you are used to. So if more people have the opportunity perhaps this will prolong the current vinyl resurgence.
However the trend with data, video and music is to move away from local sources to a cloud based system and even though my kids were knocked out by the sound of my rig they are not rushing out to buy turntables. They have other life priorities.

-------------
Keith

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

I think that it may be a generational thing. My adult son listens to music exclusively through streaming services as does my daughter.
Their comment when listening to records on my system was "wow, you don't know what you're missing"   Basically meaning that if you have never heard well recorded music on a good system you have no reference point relative to what you are used to. So if more people have the opportunity perhaps this will prolong the current vinyl resurgence.
However the trend with data, video and music is to move away from local sources to a cloud based system and even though my kids were knocked out by the sound of my rig they are not rushing out to buy turntables. They have other life priorities.

It's not just a generational thing...it's also due to the fact that most people are not music nerds, audiophiles, record collectors, etc. They just listen to music casually and like top 40, the flavor of the month, or a handful of particular artists. For them streaming to a pair of cheap BT headphones or a mono BT speaker is good enough for them. People that care about music enough to get better sound will do so, even if that means doing a modest upgrade like buying a better pair of headphones or a pair of decent powered speakers. Some of those folks will then upgrade again later. 

-------------

Posted By: WigglyWoo
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:27am
It's certainly true that my kids go for convenience but they do also value good quality sound (perhaps from growing up with my obsession around it) and even the tactile nature of vinyl and the closer connection with their favourite artists...

CD is great but limited by the constraints of the Red Book standard (44kHz, 16bit) - a good HD recording at 24bit, 96kHz sounds more similar to vinyl in terms of detail but without the surface noise, pops and crackles etc. hence from a sound perspective is probably the most ideal... but there's nothing like the physical experience of playing a record...

-------------
Solo ULDE; Reflex M; Accession MC+Enigma and other tomfoolery...

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:15pm
Good point well made Patientot. I bumped into a friend of mine over Christmas who said I had changed his life by recommending he buy a decent portable player and headphones to enjoy his music rather than a mobile phone. And visitors to my living room comment on hearing more of the music than they've heard before, and that's at levels you talk over!

I agree about the pleasure of planning a record... dropping the arm and lid (dust in my house) and being in the chair before the music starts. Nice.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:58pm
I guess time will tell and frankly it doesn't really matter how people listen to music as long as they get pleasure from it.
Digital music technology is getting better all the time and there is obviously some demand for higher quality audio once people are exposed to it.
It is likely that multiple options will exist for a long time. I was late to the game - didn't really put together a decent system until I was in my late 30's - cd based. Now that I am retired I have the time to explore
I suspect that many members of the forum listen to music in different ways. My primary system is vinyl based and I have yet to find anything better.   However I also listen on my Mac mini feeding a Dac and powered speakers on my desk, with iTunes managing my library and an inexpensive app called BitPerfect playing the music. (a bit off topic but I highly recommend it)
I also have an SACD player which can sound very good. In addition I stream music from my Mac to other parts of my house using Apple Airport Express.

Sorry to ramble a bit ( comes with age)

Anyway Vinyl Rules !!!

-------------
Keith

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 12:52pm
My kids default to streaming most of their music, but since they grew up with my love for music and preference for physical formats and vinyl when I can get it, they also have record players and some vinyl. They only use it on occasion, but at they do hear a difference and appreciate the physical format for special music: the ability to look at the cover, read liner notes, and be more present with the music as you drop the needle. For me, while I love music, it is the entire experience of vinyl that resonates with me.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 1:35pm
This Apollo/Transco fire is certainly not good news for the vinyl resurgence.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/apollo-transco-vinyl-lacquer-fire/ - https://thevinylfactory.com/news/apollo-transco-vinyl-lacquer-fire/

-------------
Keith

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:25pm
Agreed. I was in my local HMV store at the weekend and noticed the huge record display had been scaled back, maybe the resurgence is coming to an end for now?

-------------
Jon

Posted By: elwood p dowd
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 8:54am
yeah, it was over a year ago, but could argue that that is more to do with the way hmv struggled, was taken over & is changing its business model maybe?

the queues at pressing plants are currently huge - okay, partly due to there being fewer of them - but know of at least one group that is not releasing a physical version of their new single due to the delays 

nb - not sure how much covid or b****t has affected this

-------------
this is why events unnerve me

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

yeah, it was over a year ago, but could argue that that is more to do with the way hmv struggled, was taken over & is changing its business model maybe?

the queues at pressing plants are currently huge - okay, partly due to there being fewer of them - but know of at least one group that is not releasing a physical version of their new single due to the delays 

nb - not sure how much covid or b****t has affected this

HMV has been gone in North America for a long time. Here we had big box stores like Best Buy and Barnes and Noble try to cash-in on the vinyl trend. Big box stores use metrics and will jump on trend bandwagons when they can but it doesn't always work for them. For example, bobblehead figurines, or beanie babies years back. Vinyl is not going to be a game-changer for these stores.

RE: pressing plants, they were straining under demand before C-19. Fads like RSD made things worse every year. Things are bad now because more people are working from home and using money they would've spent on other things to buy more records and hi-fi gear. That means releases are selling out faster and labels need to do additional pressing runs. Many plants here had to close for 3 months or more and then had employees get sick. That created additional backlog.

A friend is having a record pressed at one of the few NA plants that didn't have a huge lead time. Most here are looking at 6-8 months. Now the plant is telling him his record is delayed. They've done this twice now. When the record finally does get done, in the end he'll end up waiting the same amount of time as if he had the record pressed elsewhere. One thing to remember is that independent projects for these plants are low priority. When a major comes knocking and needs more Taylor Swift LPs or banana shaped picture discs for RSD, your project will get "bumped" even if you were first in line.

-------------

Posted By: elwood p dowd
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:06pm
yeah always been the way with majors
lol at the banana shaped picture discs, was there one for the dickies or did you make it up - it's very plausible & only a matter of time before there is one if so.....

newbury comics over there that do exclusive presses too

-------------
this is why events unnerve me

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

yeah always been the way with majors
lol at the banana shaped picture discs, was there one for the dickies or did you make it up - it's very plausible & only a matter of time before there is one if so.....

newbury comics over there that do exclusive presses too

I made it up, but there are loads of fad/crap/gimmick RSD releases every year. Very rarely is there anything I really want or need anymore. The majors scrape the barrel at this point and have effectively co-opted RSD from what it was supposed to be. It doesn't really help indie stores either in every case, because many are forced to order large amounts of records on business credit cards in order to avoid missing out on traffic. Then after RSD is over some of the releases sit around for months or years unsold. One store near me created a huge "old RSD" section for that stuff and started marking down everything.

Newbury pressings are just colored vinyl versions of records you can get elsewhere using the same exact metalwork. In rare cases they have used mother/father plates from old, desirable audiophile editions - like with a couple of Sonny Rollins titles.

-------------

Posted By: TimW
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
RSD - There are only so many Dave Lee Roth yellow splatter vinyl live albums a person needs. It my case it’s none.

All the small labels I buy from have reported massive lead times on pressing vinyl. One I pre-ordered in Feb is not out until late September. RSD and the aforementioned majors just get in the way pressing copies of Ed Sheeran LPs for people who probably don’t have a turntable or taste.Dead

-------------
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:19pm
there are loads of fad/crap/gimmick RSD releases every year. Very rarely is there anything I really want or need anymore. The majors scrape the barrel at this point

Sorry to say, I couldn't agree more, it's no longer a date in my calendar.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 5:22pm
I was just thinking of RSD and the last time I was at my favourite record shop I asked them about it and they said to me they do good on the day but better on online when they put the stuff that did not sell up for sail but they did say to me that there is a lot of crap that comes from the big labels, gimmicks they try to avoid. I looked and a lot of what I seen was old stuff being remarketed, that says to me the majors are just trying to make money out of us. this shop I go to do not tend to sell records from small labels and their own. By the way there was not one thing that interested me the last RSD

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:20pm
Yes, I think there is a creative gap between the record shops we love and the record companies' usually naff RSD gimmicks.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Sylvain
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:44pm

Vinyl...... but not as you would have known it .......

Recordings are mostly done by 24bit or even 32bit mixing console. Digital and my last read was ''new digital lathe'' being used to cut the Vinyl......and I also read of '' plug-ins'' digital tone to replicate any near analogue sound ...but synthetic.....You know the acoustic reverberations in an air cavity and old Goldring RIAA equalisation when we hear it........ 

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm
Jon
Talking about naff stuff, As for vinyl, bring out something on coloured vinyl when you can get it in black cheaper this is just an exercise in making money out of fans and this goes for digital remasters too, what was wrong with the old copy?
I was reading online a while back in that some record shops were not getting involved in promoting RSD at all as they did not see it as a good way making money and some went as far as to say they felt that they were ripping off their customers. they also were saying they were better off promoting new artists and or new music. People like you and me, a lot on this forum will go to a record shop what ever anyway so what they were saying is, it was not bring in new customers

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 10:02pm
Yes I agree about coloured vinyl being the added extra rather than (good) new material on vinyl.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net