Print Page | Close Window

Music Maker III or Soundsmith Zephyr III

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: MM: Moving Magnet | MC: Moving Coil
Forum Description: Learn about the differences between moving magnet and moving coil cartridges here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4246
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 2:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music Maker III or Soundsmith Zephyr III
Posted By: Aussie Mick
Subject: Music Maker III or Soundsmith Zephyr III
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:44am
Hi All,
The Soundsmith Zepher III is currently available for a decent price, and the Catridge Man Music Maker III is heavily discounted, too. Is anyone using these carts currently? Or indeed has anyone heard both of them within a reasonable timeframe to let you muse on their strengths and weaknesses?

I'm currently using an Ortofon 2M Black and wondering where some fun money might end up.
Cheers,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:40am
I can thoroughly recommend the Hana SH.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:51pm
Who is discounting the Music Maker? It's on my desired list, but the price has been the main bar to getting one.

Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:23am
I have switched from 2M Black to a Hana SH and i am not regretting it in the slightest.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:24am
To answer the above...

Elusivedisc is offering the Music Maker discounted.

I'm assuming the recommendation is for the high output version of the Hana? I'm not up for step up yet, so it must be used with the Reflex M (hopefully Accession before too long!)

The reason I'm asking about those two particular carts is that I'm interested in what MI does. They're well reviewed, but hearing one in the flesh is not going to happen any time soon.

Steve, can you tell me a little bit about the differences between the 2M Black and the Hana?

Chris, why Hana? Have you also experienced the 2M Black or Bronze?

Thanks all,
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:13am
For me the 2M black in my system always teetered on the edge of hardness, I noticed that the I wasn't listening to records as much. It also seemed a very sensitive tracker. 

I didn't dislike the 2M , I even the replaced the needle so you could say I had two, I just wasn't enjoying it as much.

As for the differences , its a couple of months now but I would would say that the Hana is less forensic, slightly warmer and perhaps slight less detailed bass, but more enjoyable. 

I guess I am saying that I am listening to the record rather than examining it, also at 2g tracks better. 

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:21am
Thanks, Steve,
     I felt a few of the same things about the Black. However, I've managed to alleviate the problems in my system largely by experimenting with various shims under my RB808 arm. Tail down a little and the hardness went away completely, but the detail was preserved untouched. A MC loving friend said he thought it the best hed ever heard the Black, and I tend to agree. He's still rather happy with his various MC carts, though!
Mick.

-------------

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Chris, why Hana? Have you also experienced the 2M Black or Bronze?

I heard a 2M Red a while ago, and it didn't disgrace itself.
A friend has a Rondo Bronze, and that sounds nice too, especially since it's had its stylus and cantilever replaced by Van den Hul.
Another friend has a Hana SL, and I really liked what I heard with that, so when my last cart started to sound a bit past it I decided to go for the SH.

S = Shibata stylus
L = low output
H = high output

My reason for going for the high output?
It's fit and forget, with none of the tedious larking about with loading and capacitance - sometimes it gets down to splitting hairs, and I'd rather just listen to music.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:34pm
Thanks, Chris.

-------------

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:30am
Hi Mick,
I used a MM3 for a few years & it is a very good cartridge but can be a little fussy about vinyl quality.
With a well recorded, clean record in good nick it is smooth & dynamic.
I'm not sure whether I had it set up very well but I was never too happy with its tracking, especially
at side ends, although it might have been a mismatch with the Artemiz arm it was used in.
Its also not recommended with a lower-range Rega arm, but worked well in an Audiomods. 

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm
I've read a few places the same comment about not being kind to less than quiet vinyl. Still, the 2M Black cops the same criticism, yet I've found it to be terrific.

Maybe I need to rethink this cart upgrade business and think much longer term? Koetsu and an Elevator?

Mick.

-------------

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:36pm
Whilst I have very fond koetsu memories from the early 80s black and rosewood these Open up a whole new price bracket including other brands. Welcome to a parallel and more expensive universe!!

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
Yeah...and my kids go to private school...maybe they don't need lunch?

-------------

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 4:50pm
Can you sell/part ex the kids?

When I was looking for a cartridge about 10 years ago I stumbled across Graham's products. Whilst really enjoying the koetsu s in the past I could not justify spending the amounts on the black at the time and after long auditioning session of phono stages marks and 4 or 5 cartridges settled on the dynavector xx2-2. There are others on the forum who share this model.

Whilst I am not suggesting it is the best out there (though appeared very good at the price) you may not need to go through koetsu prices - other than money the hardest thing may be auditioning a selection.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:09pm
The reviewer Graham Budd used an Audio Note IQ3 for his review of the Accession on TNT mentioned
in the recent thread.
It works superbly with the Reflex M too - I use that combo. Great tracking ability with no fuss & bother
on busy music at side ends. Like Ian Botham once was - a top quality all-rounder!
It's possible to start with the IQ1 - which is excellent in itself - & upgrade the stylus assembly to IQ2 & 3.

-------------

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:39pm
I can second that comment Rich (I use an IQ3 with the Accession & sometimes Reflex M). The IQ2 stylus is extremely similar sounding & even a Goldring 1042 stylus in the IQ body sounds great and tracks just as well.

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: SiE
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Who is discounting the Music Maker?
Leonard is, if you ask him nicely. Just bought an MM3 for a round £700, to which I am greatly looking forward. I'm assured by one-and-all that an Audiomods pick-up arm, the MM and a phono amp from Graham will all play very nicely together, thank you very much!

-------------
Simon, Bristol--------------------------------------
Quad ESLs & valves with Mac, Quad CD & SME vinyl sources (model 10 with SME series 3 and rega-tubed arm, sundry cartridges and Gram Amp 2)

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:10pm
Len G. is quite keen on Our Man's phono stages & the Audiomods is one of the best arms for the MM3.
Enjoy it.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:59pm
I haven't heard the IQ1-3 but do own a well used Music Maker III which I thought sounded great before I played a lot of records on it. I think I got it for £650 but that was about five years ago.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 8:27am
Len Gregory gave me an excellent trade in deal on my old MM for a Musicmaster a while ago.
The Musicmaster is a refinement of the MM3 & Classic & is one of the best carts I've had the
pleasure to own. It is an excellent partner with Audiomods arms & the ReflexM & Accession.
 I believe Len G sells this by reputation & word of mouth as it is not advertised.

-------------

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm
Am I right in understanding that MusicMaker cartridges don’t have a user replaceable stylus?

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:18am
That's right Ifor, they're based on the Grado body but the stylus assembly is fixed in place
with the MM cartridges.
I would think Len G. would probably offer a very reasonably priced stylus replacement job.

-------------

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:57pm
Thanks Rich.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net