Print Page | Close Window

Hi to all

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: New Members Corner
Forum Description: Introduce yourself here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4240
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hi to all
Posted By: izafireman
Subject: Hi to all
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:08pm
Not sure if I have found the correct area to introduce myself but here goes. I shall paste the introduction I did last night in order to join.

My name is Pete and I used to be a fireman before being retired at the age of 47 for health reasons , hence my user name. The reason I have joined the forum is to hopefully gain more appreciation and understanding regarding my system and how I can expand on my listening experience.
The system I have was never planned as such and chopped and changed over the years due to me buying ''blind'' or due to poor advice, but hey , we have all been there I bet. Luckily I am now dealing with a great guy in my area who I have know for years and trust .....infact he has my turntable as I type and servicing it so I am chomping at the bit waiting!

So the system I have is as follows.
Pink Triangle Export , probably the least used ever in existence as for many years it was boxed up whilst I was in the RAF. The tone arm is a Moth arm which I believe was sold as ''Another Moth Arm'' which is actually a Tabriz with no markings , this arm is currently being re-wired from the original.

I have had two cartridges over the years, Goldring 1022 which I liked and a then a Grado Reference Platinum which I needed smelling salts for ....sorry Grado owners but it wasn't my cup of tea as so laid back. I am now having the cartridge changed to a Dynavector 10x5 .

The amp and pre amp I own are Audio Analogue Bellini and Donezetti which although many years old are like new as once again were boxed up most of their lives to. Now at last I have my components set up as such and settled and I have added a dedicated 4mm ring main and separate earth and upgraded my speaker cables along with interconnects and system mains cables. Finally my speakers are Quadral Aurum Altans which I must say I love.

So now the reason I am here.
There is no doubt I haven't heard the best from the Pink and other components and I could ''squeeze out'' more with a better arm but before that upgrade I am pretty sure a better option would be a decent phono stage as I am relying on the one in my pre-amp at the moment, which I am guessing is not the best option.

I suppose my listening experience at the moment is somewhat limited as some of the tracks I played (be it with the Grado cartridge I had, as still need to hear the Dynavector) were Ok, but others were lacking to say the least. I am afraid I am not the best with words but although some tracks drew me in and sounded like more room was bigger than it was , sounds were above, to the side and above the speakers but other tracks sounded like they were below the level or the speaker height and I found myself sliding down the sofa in order to listen to them. Hopefully that description will make sense.

So will a phono pre amp make a big difference and if so which one would compliment the components I have?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Replies:
Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Hello and welcome.

You have a good front end with the PT & arm.

What you describe re the low soundstage sounds either like the sound needs opening up Component or cables and or perhaps the speakers need tilting back or raising a little?

I am sure you will find other sound advice and some very good phono stages (and more) here.
Richard

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:22pm
In terms of the phone stage this will depend on your budget as they appear to get simply better the highe up,the range you travel.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:28pm
Hi Richard , not sure but I would expect a minimum of £400 - maybe £600 but the upper limit would depend on if the difference in price made a huge difference. With regards to the cables, the speaker cables are Nordost White Lightning (I think) , interconnects are audio quest but I connect remember the exact ones. Mains cables , once again I cannot remember but they have NRG printed on them, afraid the boxes they came in are in the loft ((

The speakers are level and yes I thought they might need tilting back. They were around 2 inches higher but I had to lower the stands. I thought the low sound stage might also be due to how the recordings were originally made as some albums are ok.

Cheers

Pete

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:25am
Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.
You have some quite decent kit there. I spent many happy years listening to my Audio Analogue Maestro CD player, Bellini preamp and Maestro monoblocks (all 90s vintage). The weakest part was the phono stage, which I replaced with firstly a Fanfare then Genera, then my current Reflex M ( +AT150).
The Audio Analogue kit is now retired and replaced with a Majestic and DIY "Gainclones" (pending Proprius replacements ).
Based on this I would recommend you try a Reflex from the loan programme and see how you get on.
The loan programme is run by Fatmangolf aka Jon, just drop him a PM and he'll let you know what's available and when.

Ian

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:12am
Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply.
Yes my Bellini / Donisetta are from around 2001 I think, maybe just before. I did have the capacitors changed around 3 years ago as they had dried. After looking at the phono stages again I saw the Reflex and will contact Jon when my Pink returns in a couple of weeks. I know they chap who is serving it for me likes the Dynavector phono stage very much and I was looking out for a second hand mark 2 version. I was also trying to find out more about the new Arcam phono stage also. But that was before I decided to spen a couple of hundred £s more if it got me better results and of course before I found Graham's forum.

Pete

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:44pm
Welcome to our community Peter. Please feel free to PM when you are ready.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: itsmanhattan
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 12:12am
Welcome to the forum. Lot's of good gems here to read and learn from, especially previous posts from back in the day. Good luck.

-------------
Manhattan

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net