Print Page | Close Window

Mark Audio Sale

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Classified Section
Forum Name: Complementary Products
Forum Description: Posts from forum members who are also producers of complimentary products
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4188
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mark Audio Sale
Posted By: KJFAudio
Subject: Mark Audio Sale
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
For the army of Mark Audio Driver users here and elsewhere we are having an Easter sale on Mark Audio drivers with 10 % off the whole range and an extra 5% off the hugely popular Alpair 7.

Pop along to http://mailchi.mp/294505a6e23a/happy-easter-speaker-builders" rel="nofollow - this URL for voucher codes and more info.

Hope this is cool Graham? Remove it if not.

Stefan

-------------
UK/EU dealer for Mark Audio Drivers and Manufacturer of speaker kits

Replies:
Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:48pm
That reminds me. I still want to try a pair of those Alpair 5 Gen 2 as earspeakers to beat my K1000. I could drive them loud enough from just the Bitzie line out probably as their efficiency is high. Perfect for high fidelity away from mains power supply.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:47pm
You should, i was looking forward to seeing a photo of you wearing those!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:54am
But will it beat a speaker box with a huge carpet roll hanging out the back?

Btw, is Mark doing okay?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:29pm
Oh, it definitely will, I've mentioned to a few people along the way about your ideas and they've all asked for a photo

Mark is not doing too badly at the moment. He's going to be over here for a couple of month again from mid May. I'll do some more videos with him so if you want any questions asking be sure to let me know. We'll also be running a speaker building workshop or two which might be of interest to some of you here.

I'll.make announcements​ when I've formed it up a bit.

Sorry if some of you have swung by the site today, I've killed it! I'll extend the sale to compensate.

Stefan

-------------

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 6:13am
Originally posted by KJFAudio KJFAudio wrote:

For the army of Mark Audio Driver users here and elsewhere we are having an Easter sale on Mark Audio drivers with 10 % off the whole range and an extra 5% off the hugely popular Alpair 7.

Pop along to http://mailchi.mp/294505a6e23a/happy-easter-speaker-builders" rel="nofollow - this URL for voucher codes and more info.

Hope this is cool Graham? Remove it if not.

Stefan

It would be totally wrong for an established company to do this, but you are a guy trying to make it with a new business which could also be of benefit to our members. I also was given a helping hand when I started. We will discuss this further offline.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm
Thanks Graham, you're a star. There aren't many forum owners that would allow this and I take my hat off to you for being so cool about giving a leg up.

For those of you who popped to the website yesterday to look at the Frugel horn stuff and found it broken, it's fixed now Smile I've extended the voucher codes to midnight Friday by way of an apology as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 4:03pm
I suppose I better allocate some time to go over there and make another order before Friday. I do have enough speaker drivers already but I get really greedy when it comes to hoarding cutting edge audio electronics (GSP) and transducers (MA) that I probably won't be able to resist the temptation.

Is Mark designing any more drivers at the current time or is he focussing on his health?

And I do want to buy a 10MAOP pair at some point. It's expensive I know but I want to try a cone material with a different emittance characteristic. I trust MA highly to produce a well engineered product that justifies its cost.

-------------

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by KJFAudio KJFAudio wrote:

Thanks Graham, you're a star. There aren't many forum owners that would allow this and I take my hat off to you for being so cool about giving a leg up.

It is possible he's only feeling so generous because it's his birthday.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:47am
Topic moved from "Transducers, Speakers, Mics..." to this new "Complementary Products" forum (here in the Classified Section), which is a more appropriate place to advertise a complementary product offer. This frees up the other forums for subjective, objective and technical discussion.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:15am
Thanks Graham :)

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I suppose I better allocate some time to go over there and make another order before Friday. I do have enough speaker drivers already but I get really greedy when it comes to hoarding cutting edge audio electronics (GSP) and transducers (MA) that I probably won't be able to resist the temptation.

Is Mark designing any more drivers at the current time or is he focussing on his health?

And I do want to buy a 10MAOP pair at some point. It's expensive I know but I want to try a cone material with a different emittance characteristic. I trust MA highly to produce a well engineered product that justifies its cost.

Yes Mark is designing drivers but nothing up for new release soon. His health has taken some time obviously as has his new Sota range of finished speakers.

Ash if you build those Alpair 5 headphones and come over here and let me do a photo shoot of you, I'll give you a permanent 10% voucher code!

Stefan

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:51pm
I'll have to hold the speakers out in front of my ears whilst they're playing and see if they sound promising. If so, I would have to make a simple headband for them or sew fixtures into a beanie hat or something to suspend them out in front of my face. It could be a useful listening reference for setting up the bigger MA drivers out in the room, which will be worth looking silly for. I'm not going back to conventional headphones as there is no further progress to be made down that route.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Finally took the time to order a pair of Alpair 5 Gen 2 in grey. I look forward to hooking them up to the Bitzie and having a listen. Stefan, if it's next day delivery, could you hang on to them and dispatch them on Tuesday so I am here to receive them on Wednesday?

-------------

Posted By: Wiscos
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:42am
Sounds a really interesting idea... Good luck with the experiment!

Date Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:12pm
The Bitzie is able to drive the Mark Audio Alpair 5 Gen 2 speaker pair directly, to a more or less adequate listening level for earspeaker and close proximity listening.

Stefan, what is the impedance/resistance of the Alpair 5 Gen 2?

Graham, I know I'm using the Bitzie outside of its intended purpose by driving a pair of small speakers with it but... beyond the 2-3 o'clock position on the Bitzie pot, distortion (compressed dynamic range) creeps into the playback so I can't use it any further clockwise. Is this problem due to the low impedance of what is being driven? My K1000 can play without distortion fully clockwise. Do I need to add in a fixed resistor of about 100 Ohms (or less??) on each channel.

(I will also try connecting them through a pair of Proprius and get back to you)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:20am
3.6 ohm is the average RE.

Likely much to low for a headphone amp, hopefully Graham will be along to give you advice on his specific amp. If you just added padding you'd likely reduce the distortion but also reduce the level.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:22am
Yeah, I guessed that by adding fixed resistance, the level will be reduced so won't really get much more out of them. I'm glad I asked. I didn't realise the impedance was as low as that. I don't want to be more or less shorting the Bitzie or Proprius outputs. Although the Proprius pot will be down low, adding quite a bit of fixed resistance to the output.

Graham, what was that Bitzie distortion? A warning sign that the output impedance is too low and too much current is being drawn?

I obviously then kept the dial at 2 o'clock or less and the Alpair 5 sounded really good. Very clear neutral and tonally accurate sound. Not much bass but only listened without a baffle or box so far.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:05pm
Bass should be fine when you drive them with a proper amp like the Proprius I'd have thought. When your ears are closer to the driver than the width of the cone you don't really have to worry about baffle step and front rear cancellation because of 'proximity effect'

Stefan

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:23pm
I'll certainly give them a go. More bang for buck than the K1000 already. Just need to tweak. Such an impedance is maybe even a bit low for the Proprius. I will have to check that with Graham too.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:50pm
I'd not have thought so, 4 Ohm speakers are pretty common and loads of speakers drop well below a couple of Ohms. I'm sure a competent designer like Graham would cater for lowish impedance drivers. Maybe they can't double output as impedance halves , Graham would have to confirm. On the other hand I cant imagine you would be using more than fractions or thier potential output anyway.

Stefan

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:58pm
Just looked at the specs, they pretty much double thier output into 4 ohms to about 45 W, can't imagine you using more than about a Watt or two at most. The distortion figures are given for 4 ohms as well and they are as low as almost any I've seen, so crack on.

Stefan

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:04pm
I will try them with the Proprius soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:31am
I've decided that the Alpair 5 Gen 2 aren't for me. Not enough sound emitting area and my interest for headphone-type mounting is not going to continue. It is nice not having to wear anything on the head. I prefer the bigger 10 and 12 drivers. Might even try a 7P again with my 12PW. The sound of those was at least on par with my K1000. Think my overall preference will be for the paper drivers. Stefan, do you have any cheap scraps of slim timber that I can buy? Could you cut some holes in them for 10 and 12 drivers?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 9:23am
Shame, I've been really looking forward to seeing those photos..

The Alpair 5 is by far my favourite driver, I just had to move them out of the room I work in because I couldn't stop listening to them...

I might have some timber, what are you thinking? Email me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net