Print Page | Close Window

Accession first impressions/Review

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Graham Slee Phono Stages
Forum Description: Questions, answers, and product information zone for Graham Slee Phono Stage Preamps
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2673
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession first impressions/Review
Posted By: Drewan77
Subject: Accession first impressions/Review
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:23pm
I had arranged to visit John Cadman yesterday as he was building me a Rega TT-PSU twin switch & cables, supplied by a 24vAC GSP PSU1. Suffice to say it all works perfectly and the TT-PSU now switches 33.3 or 45 to either Rega from the GSP power supply.

Imagine my delight and surprise when he also informed me that I could have the first of two finished Accessions to take away and evaluate. Graham knows that I travel a lot with work and I had asked a long time ago to trial the ’new phono stage’ when it was available so he made sure one was finished whilst I am home for a while…… YES! - my own ‘Key to Accession’ (sorry couldn’t resist).

The Accession has been in my system for only one day and I’m not sure I possess the vocabulary to properly describe my first impressions but I’ll give it a try, making notes as I listen to various LPs….

The best words I can find to express what I am hearing are: smooth, silky, delicate, ambient, or in two words: absolutely beautiful. The AT150ANV has never sounded quite like this before - silky as in smooth & sensual but not lacking in any way with dynamics, just that it no longer sounds slightly ’hi-fi’ and is more natural than I could have reasonably expected.

Where I normally hear a strong and holographic soundstage with layered imaging, I now have the addition of what I can only describe as individual reverb and tiny ’echoes’ around vocals or instruments. I can sense the original recording space interacting with each microphone for the first time…. I guess you call this ‘ambience’ and it really draws you in to the music. Delicate, because there is an ethereal ‘floaty’ quality, especially with percussion (I don’t mean drums specifically, the closest way I can describe this is as when I listened to some Martin Logan or Quad electrostatics, a sort of 3D shimmer to cymbals, tambourines, brushes etc). i suppose it was always there on the recordings but the remaining mush and interference has been stripped away from the tiny source signal and this beautiful effect is really noticeable on a revealing system - my Alu/magnesium driver OBs with ribbon tweeters do seem to share many of the qualities of electrosatics. The first album I played (Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy) was so realistic, it was quite a shock to hear something I had spun through the Reflex the previous day now sounding so perfect - and very different.

I then pulled out the most tortuous LP I think I possess - ‘Buffy Sainte-Marie - She Used to Wanna Be a Ballerina’ where her slightly warbling, sustained vocals are normally very grating and harsh, almost unlistenable on some of the carts I have used in the past and still rather nasty on the 2M Black and AT150. The warbles are still there but now the vocals are etched and crisp, the shrillness has gone. Neil Youngs’  ‘Helpless’ properly conveyed the emotion in her performance to me for the first time without being masked by treble nastiness. Clever stuff.

Moving to the other extreme, a Sep 2015 album, ‘Golden Void - Berkana’ is quite a busy, dullish recording with rather compressed dynamics. The Accession manages to add a nice shimmer to the top end and reveals layers within the lower frequencies where previously it was rather ‘muddy’. Whatever ambience the recording possessed is now there (great music by the way).

And so it goes on…simple plucked guitar & vocal on ‘Bert Jansch - Live at the 12 Bar’ produces a very realistic strike & sustain on the strings, BJ sits right in front of you and the audience sound all-enveloping and ‘really there’ when they applaud. On another album, the 180gm reissue of Yello - Stella, the tracks ‘Desire’ and ‘Sometimes (Dr Hirsch)’ have a thunderous and atmospheric instrumental soundstage which Dieter Meirs’ deep, resonating vocals cleanly cut through and that ambience is very present once again in spite of a lot going on. ‘Oh Yeah’ is a rather corny track but on both versions of the song it’s amazing how much clarity and sharpness this new phono stage brings to the proceedings. In fact, all Yello albums are superbly recorded/mastered and most could be reference LPs as far as quality goes. They really excel through the Accession to a degree that I’ve not heard before.

Finally, I wanted to see what effect, if any the Accession has on albums recorded with slightly sibilant vocals. There are very few in my collection but I recalled that the proggy LP ’Trafalgar’ by the Bee Gees was among the worst (similar in style to the superb Odessa which does not have any). The first thing immediately apparent was the ‘shimmering’ clarity of the percussion and the separation among the voices - that word ‘ambience’ comes to mind once again. I really enjoyed hearing this album again (Maurices’ song ‘It’s Just The Way’ could very easily be The Beatles and sounds superb) and became so immersed that I realised as side 2 finished that I had not noticed any sibilance. I know the Accession cannot be credited with this, it’s probabaly that I am using my new turntable, an outboard motor, GSP power supply etc and I took even greater care with alignment and setup this time. I then played through again and on this occasion tried really hard not to immerse myself in the music. Sure enough I then found it - some slightly sharp ssss’s on the Barry Gibb vocal, title track Trafalgar, not really sibilant any more though. I will try and remember which one of the Billy Joel albums had some sibilance and play that as well in the next couple of days. Another very noticeable effect is the drum simulating gunfire at the start of and during ‘Lion In Winter’. The faint echo deep away to the left (in my room, somewhere beyond the rear wall) stands out in a way I never heard before. I resisted a strong urge to play this album a third consecutive time but will pull out Odessa sometime soon.

At times here I may sound like I am recommending albums just as much as appraising the Accession. That is because this little box seems to have stripped everything right back to what must have been part of the original mastering and I have been noticing so much more from and within the music itself rather than the piece of electronics. If that’s so, then Graham has really hit the target this time.

I had not realised my system was capable of an improvement by this magnitude, particularly the smooth and shimmering treble and the airy ambience. Whereas music through the Reflex M is fabulous, what I am now hearing is truly stunning (the difference between this and the Reflex M is greater than the Reflex M to my Reflex Era Gold, which are actually quite similar. The Reflex Era Gold and its PSU1 will be going up for sale when I buy this). I also know with confidence that this is going to tower over every digital format that I possess (sorry Majestic, I still love you) but I can’t bring myself to stop playing vinyl at the moment.

Who knows how long it will take or where this will end up once it is fully burned in…. Graham confirms that it is mine if I decide to buy & keep it. Anyway at risk of just seeming like a GSP fanboy, I think I have made my point. This will deserve its place as the flagship MM stage in the GSP lineup and I expect MC users will similarly enthuse when partnered with an Elevator. It is a remarkable product and will not be going back!

(The settings I am using are - fixed output, Eq-RIAA, cap load 100pF)

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Replies:
Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:04pm
Thanks for a great review Andrew! It really makes me miss my turntable, Reflex M and record collection I've stored away but it's sadly not for studio living.
At least I'm still thoroughly enjoying the incredible Bitzie, but as any vinyl hi-fi enthusiast knows it's just not the same... Ouch

-------------
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:39pm
You've described it really well with the examples. Thanks Andrew. I look forward to hear an Accession in my own system soon.

Well done on the Rega with TT and PSU1. That sounds like a great investment and makes me think I must follow up on my turbo-TT for the GyroDec.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:48pm
Any idea on the cost of the new Phono Stage?
Just working out if I have to sell a kidney.

-------------
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Yes, both John and Graham have confirmed the retail price to me but it may not be for me to pass that on. From what I was told, it is yet another GSP bargain. I suggest you PM either

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:13pm
Exciting!

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:08pm
Andrew, an excellent review, seems that you like it!
Temptation is before me, again.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Yes, both John and Graham have confirmed the retail price to me but it may not be for me to pass that on. From what I was told, it is yet another GSP bargain. I suggest you PM either

As this is the GSP forum, I would hope that the price would be shared by the manufacturers. Wink
It sounds like a really interesting product. One that I would love to try.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 2:19pm

Thanks for the disturbing review Andrew.

Sounds like more expense chez moi Cry

Will be interested to hear what Jon thinks with the Exp and an MC cartridge.

At least you have just had a lucky escape Kevin - not sure I am going to be so lucky avoiding the spell of the Majestic.

Hopefully some more of these latest wonders will be rolling out of the ovens shortly so more of us can be seduced.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

I'm wondering the same

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 6:40pm
Sigh more overtime required.  Unhappy

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

I'm wondering the same

As am I.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Martin1
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 11:45pm
Wish list just got bigger.

Martin

-------------
Novo Solo SRGII PSU1 Cusat 50 Senn:250 Senn: 540II & Big Wish List

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 10:29am
Unless you count a Reflex M plus Elevator EXP as "one" phono stage, we have never priced a phono preamp above £1,000...

And we the won't be doing that with the Accession either.

It falls short of all the "EQ's" offered on the Revelation, so it should cost less than that.

Priced to sell, we decided on £800.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 11:35am
After a few days with the Accession, I have re-visited my original posting & still stand by everything I put down. Graham has applied to patent something quite unique here, the technicalities of which I don’t fully understand - but what I do understand is what I hear. I don’t feel I have exaggerated anything and as I said, I also don’t think I have the vocabulary to properly articulate what my system is doing.

Very late Friday night, I dragged myself away from the music and the volume had been pretty loud when I finished. I then noticed some hiss through the speakers so I flicked the Accession mono switch and it halved but was still just about there. I then changed over to the Reflex M on another input and it was gone. I should clarify that this hiss is not apparent once the stylus hits the vinyl as it is below the level of surface noise so pretty irrelevant unless someone is a specs-maniac or obsessive over these things (or a bat).

I then sent a quick PM to Graham to ask about this. His reply goes along the lines of zero distortion and a bit of hiss or a bit of distortion and zero hiss - there is no other way with this unique patentable approach. I guess the hiss is similar to that produced by an MC stage & now I see why he does not produce a pure MC version.

I will happily take the zero distortion option when it sounds like it does when music is playing.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Unless you count a Reflex M plus Elevator EXP as "one" phono stage, we have never priced a phono preamp above £1,000...

And we the won't be doing that with the Accession either.

It falls short of all the "EQ's" offered on the Revelation, so it should cost less than that.

Priced to sell, we decided on £800.

That sounds reasonable from all I have read about the sound quality on offer.
I take it that is the price with PSU1 supplied?

I can't wait for the loan scheme units to be available.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:02pm
I asked whether it included the PSU1 & the answer was yes.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:05pm
I can feel my wallet getting lighter and a second hand Revelation M appearing on the market.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I can feel my wallet getting lighter and a second hand Revelation M appearing on the market.

Likewise!

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 2:53pm
Hi very interesting. Do you perceive the hiss could be an issue with an Elevator EXP?

As to the selling price this is rather interesting. Should price be based on cost plus a margin to cover development and profit OR should it reflect the benefit/improvement. Graham believes in the former which is good for us. If lotus were able to create an S class's merc beating car for £30k would it be reasonable to sell for that or double/triple the price?

I don't think anyone would quibble over a little more £950? But perhaps not until we have all bought one who wants to!!!!

Richard

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 5:03pm
I cannot comment on the Elevator because I only use MM but I guess Graham may have something to say.

As for cost, I did suggest a higher price to Graham once I saw just how good this is but he is comfortable with the price point they have chosen relative to the rest of the range and the competition. I would happily pay more.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 5:31pm
As you'll be aware I have an Elevator EXP, Revelation M, Majestic, Proprius. When the street is quiet I can just hear a soft hiss from my listening position just over 2m from my floor standing speakers but it is drowned out by the great sounding music I get, the news on TV, or just the Sky HD box's cooling fan.

Having heard the Roadshow demo at Rotherham and read Andrew's comments I think it is a fair price for a top notch preamp.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm
To put it into context, the original design Era Gold V has very similar measured S/N as the Accession.

The Accession isn't designed to produce noise.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 6:46pm
Spec Time...

Ref 0dBu out (775mV) set to RIAA EQ

S/N ratio 20Hz - 20kHz: 64dB (no weighting); 68dB (a wtd); 66dB (CCIR Q-Pk)

Gain: 43dB

Equivalent input noise: -109dB (CCIR Q-Pk)

Distortion -

Variable out (including output buffer stage)

THD ratio - 100Hz: 0.02%; 1kHz: 0.005%; 10kHz: 0.006%

Fixed out

THD ratio - 100Hz: 0.02%; 1kHz: 0.005%; 10kHz: 0.002%

RIAA tracking: +/- 0.2 dB

Note regarding noise:

Comparing the Reflex M to the Accession, the noise is only 2dB worse for the same measurement technique. Equipment used for test: Audio Precision AP525 audio analyser.

However, the noise spread is calculated by the analyser over the entire audio band and the two phono preamp technologies differ.

For a full explanation see my blog articles "A Different Approach To Record EQ" in five parts starting with this one: http://www.blog-gspaudio.co.uk/a-different-approach-to-record-eq-part-1/ - http://www.blog-gspaudio.co.uk/a-different-approach-to-record-eq-part-1/

As the cartridge is EQ'd first and then boost is applied to the higher frequencies to EQ the record, then the noise spread will be more noticeable in the 2kHz to 4kHz band. This does not mean that the noise exceeds the specification at any point, but might be heard with a shift toward the hearing's more sensitive region.

To understand the workings of noise I highly recommend the "dither" chapter of this video:

Go to 11 mins 40 seconds in.

In analogue we can't manipulate noise like in digital, we can only tell it as it is.

Some systems, especially those with tailored EQ (such as Andrew's) might be revealing of more hiss than others.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:47pm
Great video, thanks Graham. I wasn't concerned before and I am not now.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: pcourtney
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm
very good video, I watched it all, and Monty gets his point over well !

some of the basics I had forgotten since I was taught them in the mid seventies, so it was more than informative for me :-) 

need to sell some of my hifi to fund the Accession, I think it will sit nicely between my amp and the Goldring GL75 that I am re-building with a nice black Corian plinth, along these lines 

http://www.ptpaudio.com/solid12.html

Posted By: shashirao
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 4:09am
And finally the Accession arrives at my door step...hurrah!

Neatly packed in twin packs at the silver beauties - Accession, Elevator Exp...and one strong sturdy piece of Lautus cable. 

Today being a work day, I still cannot resist "working" on the Accession setup on the side. I am currently breaking in my brand new Palo Santos Presentation cart...it has had around 80 hours of play so far.

Off comes the Revelation C with the UK-to-US power transformer (long story!). Making the connections are easy.

I notice at the back of the Accession, the switches are preset to 100ohms...perfect for my cart. I set the Elevator to 100ohms too. As for the Elevator...the front panel choices...flat or a specific curve. I always find the most joy with the RCA curve. For the initial tests, I decide to try out some Stereo recordings.

Making the electrical connections - keep the PSU units far apart, the shelf is cleared of all other stuff...just the P******t Extension turntable, the Celebration cartridge, my favorite 5pin DIN cable out of the turntable into the Elevator. Lautus from Elevator to Accession and Lautus again to my digital recorder...all unbalanced RCA.

I am assuming the Accession requires a breakin time of at least 100-200 hours...but I am keen to start listening...how the heck can it exceed my well tuned tasted spoilt by years of Revelation and the recent experience with Reflex M.

First impressions...as the sound hits my ears. Now I will have to get real technical...so bear with all the technical jargon Wink

The familiar sound of the MC cartridge elevated to that perfect level of clarity...reminds one of Reflex. But it sounds different. It is like Graham Slee has employed a few hundred tiny industrious mice or maybe pixies. The sole purpose of these minions is to get into the grooves of the vinyl...and polish each and every instrument being played. I always had clarity...but now it sounds like I have clarity played on shiny brand new instruments. The mice/pixies take care to ensure each instrument is tuned to perfection and play as they will live. But in this listening...the sound of each instrument wavers...as in each instrument can be heard in their varying volume as they start, roll off or move into the background as other aspects of the rendition take over.

Another very obvious observation is the vocals. The attention is drawn towards the voice..the singer...the pronunciation, enunciation and even those momentary pause. Till now my focus has been on the instruments...the quest has been to listen to as many instruments as possible...as if that is a testament of excellent playback. But with the Accession, I am drawn to the voice...keen to hear the singer. I think this is a good thing...since that is the purpose/intent of the composer. 

And then there is the additional zones of music. So far I have heard music with various degrees of sound separation - but mostly restricted within the 180 degrees of listening...left ear to right...with some recordings evening placing instruments at 135 degrees or 45 degrees. With the Accession, there is a sense of music all around...more than 180 degrees. The stereo recordings are enhanced to a great extent...the soundstage is wider than I have ever heard these tracks before. I am quite sure those pixies tuning individual instruments have a lot to do with this 3D reproduction of sounds. Now I can finally give stiff competition to those elevated souls who prefer to listen to their music in the superior 5.1 speaker setup Dead 

A comment on the inherent noise of vinyl playback...the crackle of an well played/beaten up vinyls. Now the Presentation cartridge is a very arrogant and unforgiving taskmaster....especially to the imperfections of the vinyl. Give it an excellent vinyl to track..it will deliver quality sound unparalleled. But a beaten up vinyl - the imperfections will be laid stark, bare. And with the pre-amps, I have always found the Revelation to be more forgiving than the Reflex. However with the Accession, the crackle is interesting to listen to. Firstly it is eliminated to a great extent...however when the cart hits a bad spot...the crackle is produced with accuracy. It is almost as if one can point at the spot and side of the groove wall that has the imperfection. Also the crackle is kind of blended or played without hindering one's listen to the actual music. This is interesting...because earlier I would cringe when I hear the bad spots on a horribly beaten up vinyl. With the current setup...it is not only well managed...but dare I say...musical. Strange eh! But I need to test this out more...with different recordings and see how noise is handled.

And speaking of different sounds...I also played a duophonic recording. And the mice and the pixies deliver. In Stereo reproduction with the Presentation cartridge...and the Accession/Elevator, this soundtrack sounds the most satisfying...like a well balanced orchestra. I think the enhanced clarity and detail of individual instruments have made listening of these duophonic recording bearable. But the jury is still out...I have some more horrible duophonic experiments to throw at this setup. Plus I need to also try the Miyajima Zero and the mono path...hoping for better joy there...since these vinyls can be played as Mono. So more on that in the coming days.

And finally I put on a Mono recording. Ok...I am doing many things incorrect here...the Presentation cartridge is really not Mono friendly...but it expands the soundstage so well...irresistible. With the Accession, I prefer the switch at Stereo (as opposed to Mono)...surprise surprise. The overall experience is nice...but I think I prefer this setup with the Revelation C. Or maybe it is my fond hindsight. 

I recall a wider soundstage with the Revelation...but also more noise since I am playing these with a stereo cartridge. The real test for the Accession in the coming days is with the Miyajima carts...the Kansui and the Zero. I cannot wait to setup these big boys.

I am just imagine supersized and super efficient mice...because the Kansui has definitely impressed me with its attention to detail, its ability to play almost anything thrown at it...with amazing clarity and detail. And then there is the Zero's meatiness. So far what little I have heard of the Accession, I can only expect something amazing and out of the world. Quite honestly with all the permutation and combinations, I might have to make a card for each vinyl...with recommendations on the cart to use, the Elevator/Accession or Revelation setup, configuration values, etc.

All I can say is that the Accession has matched my excitement and unrealistic expectations that has been honed for the past several weeks with the Reflex and Revelation. And as I desired, the Accession promises many many months of interesting experiments and payback in terms of aural experiences. I think I should consider retiring early Smile

Cheers
Shashi

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:29pm
It's great to hear your first impressions of the Accession, Shashi! I'm quite taken with the notion of Graham's minions polishing the instruments as they escape from the grooves . . LOL

The Accession is indeed a remarkable box of tricks, and you have the cartridges to make it work hard for its living! It always amazes me how much information can be retrieved from a wobbly groove in a piece of plastic.

Retiring early to spend more time with your vinyl seems an eminently sensible thing to do! Especially if you have a different setup marked for each album Shocked

Please keep us informed of your forthcoming experiences . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:00pm
Thank you very interesting review.

I suspect your assessing may still be burning in so may change a little yet?

I cannot recall seeing comments in connection with surface notice before do any other users have similar experiences? I have been of the view that equipment shouldn't emphasise surface imperfections and would never entertain the warts and all view of say a Decca London.

Are you able to quantify the key differences between revelation (c?) reflex (m) and accession?

Regards Richard

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:38pm
Absolutely - I am in the burning stage for both my Presentation cartridge (60-80 hours so far) and the Accession, Elevator components (8-12 hours running, 1-2 hours of play).

As for the surface noise...maybe I am romanticizing the sound of the crackle. But please keep in mind...for the burning in stage I use really beaten up vinyls....like the 6th or 7th copy of the albums I love. These are vinyls the doctor gave up on after the first look. I employ one of the best cleaning process that ensures vinyls are clean. I also store them with lotsa care...more than my kids and pet I would say Smile

For instance...let me give you an example of what I did the first thing morning. I have this trouble child of a vinyl. First it is a duophonic recording...so basically it plays all the bass on the left speaker...and the treble sounds on the right...and the vocals mostly on the right. Now compound the issue with a bad pressing...the company HMV did a horrible job pressing this vinyl from the get go. And the cherry on top is that...this is a vinyl in high demand...published in 1972...and I decided to play my 5th copy...which is beaten up bad. It has more scratches than Leanardo Di Caprio ever got from that bear in the Revenant Big smile

So I decided to play this vinyl...first thing in the morning today...hoping to listen to the worst possible. 

I won't romanticize by saying it was all clear and pristine. The crackle is unavoidable regardless of the burn in time. However I must say...I heard one of the best reproduction so far of this recording. And the main reason I can discern is because of the additional clarity and detail from the instruments played.

I tell you it is those mice/minions at play. The clarity of the instrument play is so stark...that it actually distracts from the grumbling of the beaten up vinyl. And as I mentioned earlier...the crackle seems more "understandable"...in the sense..that I can almost visualize the damaged groove. But because the vocals and instruments have more clarity...the playback is enjoyable. The performance is also more balanced...I can still hear most bass instruments on the left, treble to the right...but because I can clearly hear the different percussion instruments..the bass is layered and can be differentiated...between the drums and congas. This has helped the treble sounds from taking over and making the listening noisy as before.

The last track of the soundtrack is a musical piece...from the 70s...excessive cheesy electronics...the fad in those days. There are quite a lot of psychedelic sounds like someone on an acid trip. So till date my experience of this track has been almost warbled sounds...doubled with surface imperfection noise. However this morning with the Accession/Presentation setup...I think I actually got the point of this piece of music...and was amazed at all the different instruments in there. 

I am confident that my experience will only get better...because a: the equipment will burn in...and b: I am keenly looking at employing the tried and tested Miyajima products...which I have found to be the best handlers of this style of music/pressing. 

So yes...more prose and poetic prose to follow in ode of those minions hard at work Smile

Cheers
Shashi

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 9:34pm
Thanks I think I see you point i.e. Surface noise is perhaps more isolated, and therefore more distinct and less mushed up with everything else?

Would be interested in comparisons vs reflex & rev also

Richard

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:48am
A quick note on something different with the Accession. With many of the older 70s and 80s recordings in India...I would hear the bleeding sound between tracks. Basically this is the sound of the next track that you can hear before the track begins. This has been especially irritating because it meant when the track actually plays...there is advance music being heard/played. This is apparent especially during the quieter passages. 

I have noticed with the Accession, there is a remarkable correction of this sound bleed. So I can still hear the next track a few millisecs before it starts...but the sound is more controlled. Each track now plays with a clean start and end...in sync. So no overlap with any sound bleed. 

This sound bleed is something one hears often with bad quality audio tapes...when Side 1 ends..you can actually hear the other side faintly played in reverse. With vinyls I thought it had to do with reading the grooves.

So one more sound issue now corrected with the Accession...I am happier. 

Today I setup the Miyajima Zero to test a few mono recordings. The Accession sound is comparable with the Reflex - both handle the meaty playback of the zero...there is good amount of bass and treble...each instrument is heard clearly. 

But for some reason I remember the Reflex fondly as well matched with the Zero in virtually eliminating any noise from the track. The reproduction was right in the center. 

With the Accession the listening experience is a little different. The soundstage is a bit wider...perhaps the minion's efforts are very obvious...I am following subtle instruments like the violin or guitar strums till the end. Maybe it is the newbie effect...but I am focusing more with the Accession. With the Reflex I remember listening to a track as a whole. With the Accession I am more alert to the subtleties. 

I cannot wait for all the components of this setup to settle down...because this is certainly a huge step up in sound reproduction for me. Now I will have to digitally archive my collection all over again....good times...good times :)

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:32am
I think what you're describing is pre-echo, where thin groove walls allow the break-through of signal from the "adjacent" groove. I know I've heard this before but I can't remember which records exhibited this . . 

Quote . . this is certainly a huge step up in sound reproduction for me. Now I will have to digitally archive my collection all over again. . .
This same thought crossed my mind when I started using the Accession. Smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:00am
Intertsing. I had always concluded the bleeding as described was down to the master tapes these older recorded tracks suffered from - some of my 60s beach boys albums.   next time I notice may see if I have the cd. I think do you wanna dance may be one example by the BBs. What is curious though is how the accession reduces this effect?   

Interesting but strange. Hope it continues to improve and will expect another informed update when completely ru. In!

Regards
Richard

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Intertsing. I had always concluded the bleeding as described was down to the master tapes these older recorded tracks suffered from - some of my 60s beach boys albums.   next time I notice may see if I have the cd. I think do you wanna dance may be one example by the BBs. What is curious though is how the accession reduces this effect?   

Interesting but strange. Hope it continues to improve and will expect another informed update when completely ru. In!

Regards
Richard

I too thought the "bleeding as described was down to the master tapes these older recorded tracks suffered from".
 Maybe the clarification of Graham's improved cartridge equalization has brought the "intended" sound of the recording to the surface... above the "pre-echo".

Then of course; there be minions!Wink

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:00pm
Pre-echo could, of course, also be from the master tape bleeding signal through. . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:22pm
"Pre-echo could, of course, also be from the master tape bleeding signal through. . . ."

With many master tape recordings done on 1 inch wide tape this is very possible.
 ... especially because the master tape are recorded using 16 tracks or more,
16 tracks means there are 16 recording tape heads; a very tight fit even on 1 inch wide tape.
 Some master tapes were made on 24 tracks, even 32.

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:09pm
Pre-echo it is...and the master tape sounds more like the source than thin walls. Because in my experience...it is on certain recordings/vinyls only...even from the same company/era. So quality variance in the vinyl production is a lower suspect. Also with some of the recordings...you can hear the click (of the player turned on)...start of the hum...and in some cases the initial squeak of the rollers or the tape setting in. 

The down side of accurate reproduction is that you also get to hear the imperfections. In a couple of rare instance...I have heard human vocals before/after the track...an exclaim, someone talking caught on tape.

But yeah - I have certainly noticed a change (a reduction) in the pre-echo sounds from the vinyls with the Accession. 

Also noticed an interesting thing...never knew this before. I was tinkering with the PSU unit...changing the polarity to check if it made any difference to the sound. Well...no joy there...did not hear a perceptible difference...but was surprised to see the playback continue as I unplugged first the Elevator PSU and then the Accession - I was expecting pulling the plug would break the loop and the sound will stop. Or maybe there was enough charge left for that few seconds as I changed the polarity. 

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:31am
Sorry to bombard and hijack this topic...but had one more Accession observation this afternoon that I needed to share.

Today is Day 3 with the Accession turned ON...and Day 2 of the Miyajima cartridge (already broken in). I did the usual routine of playing my most beaten up vinyls...not expecting anything...but with the intent to burn in the setup.

And wham...I start hearing distinct changes. Once again I will have to get extremely technical to explain this in detail.

It seems Graham's Minions were busy at work as I slept. They seemed to have grown muscles and probably multiplied. 

The first aspect is the pre-echo at the start and in between tracks. There were two vinyls that I knew had this issue. I had recently digitized them with the Reflex. The pre-echo has reduced...almost to a point that now I have to strain to hear them...if they exist. It almost seems like somehow the sound is better aligned. The vinyls play as they are supposed to...at the start of Track 1...there is the thud (cart landing), initial hiss/crackle as the needle sets in...and we enter a dark tunnel...a distinct switch to music only zone. So definitely an improvement.

The second aspect is on the crackle/hiss from surface imperfections, badly worn grooves. Since yesterday I am on Mono only mode...which meant that I expected a good reduction of noise due to the strengths of a mono playback setup. But I hear an overall improvement in any unavoidable noise. Not sure how best to explain it...but it almost sounds localized/separated and non-intrusive - if they are present at all. 

In fact I had to double check the vinyls I had picked up for today's testing...I was worried I might have picked my better vinyls by mistake.  Nope...still the same beaten up vinyls. 

I was so impressed that instead of wasting the playback, I actually started recording/digitizing the output. With this scale of sound improvement, I am glad Graham does not charge for each use/play of songs thru his brand equipment. Maybe I will be finally be able to sell off my 3rd and 4th copies that I had collected in paranoia (of losing the music) :)

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 2:32am
Pre-echo is print-through of the magnetic energy from the portion of tape where the recording starts, onto the tape which was wound onto the take up spool the previous revolution. For people like me who used to edit tapes, listening for the pre-echo coupled with the lightning reflexes I once had helped me drop the cueing lever at just the right point where the program started.

Pre-echo isn't only printed through at the start of the work, it is a constant which happens all the way along the length of the tape - caused by print-through.

The intermodulation caused by harmonics using an "homogenous" combination of cartridge response plus record response, coming about because of the gain involved in doing it that way, will I suppose give some compression effect making the pre-echo more obvious.

By "un-homogenising" the two historically independent curves, and processing them in different stages might well reduce intermodulation and harmonic effects - and indeed the high frequency distortion of the Accession is an order of magnitude better - such that the possible compression is reduced.

-------------

Posted By: jprod
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 4:20am
Is the accession available in the US for purchase yet?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 8:34am
Hi John, the US works on "pull" - we don't "push", so you need to call Rome Castellanes at Starbrandz in Las Vegas. Sorry I don't have his number right now as my data drive failed and has gone to the shop for recovery.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:46pm
Hello Graham. I did the sensible thing and "pulled" directly from you. Thanks for your help and John's help. I was duly impressed with your customer service and you both answered all my questions, even on a Saturday! Once I receive the accession I will post my impressions and I will soon have an se2 to sell.
Thanks again and I can't wait to receive it!

My system is a marantz tt15s1 turntable with a parasound p5 preamp and a parasound halo a21 amp feeding an old pair of swan diva 4.1 speakers

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 8:35pm
Just hooked it up for the first time last night and played tin pan alley from the Stevie Ray Vaughn box set 45 rpm. My initial impression is .....WOW!!! The biggest difference I noticed between the accession and the amp2 is the lack of background pops from the lp (a lower noise floor ). Also the music reproduction is very 3 dimensional. The amp2 did a very good job in this department but the accession takes it to a whole new level. I will let it burn in for a solid 2 weeks and will repost a more detailed review then.

A big thanks to Graham and the boys- they were phenomenal to deal with and even answered my questions on a Saturday. Their customer service is something all businesses should strive for. Bravo !!! You have a fan for life.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:14am

It certainly wastes no time declaring its intentions.

Less than 24 hours in, listening to the Amadeus Quartet playing Haydn and cannot recall hearing the individual instrument voices so clearly delineated before.

Other favourites seem fresh and new with some goosebump moments amongst them.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:42am
It's good to know the Accession fan club is growing! Big smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 4:29pm
It's like having a new record collection.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 5:52am
I've finally placed an order for an Accession and I've a couple of questions for you guys who have already got one.

1. I'll be using it with my EXP which already sets the cartridge loading, so should the dipswitches  on the back be switched out?
2. Currently, when I listen to headphones I feel the sound is better if my Reflex is fed straight into my headphone amp rather than being routed through the tape outs on my main amp. This however means switching cables around each time I want to change over and I am lazy.  My idea is that I'll use the fixed outputs of the Accession into my headphone amp and use the variable outs direct into the power amp stage of my amp and use the Accession volume control. I have the option to bypass the main amp pre-stage completely and as I only use one source typically it's no loss of function. Anyone else use their's in this way? I will experiment with the options anyway I guess.

I'm now gonna settle down and wait impatiently and when it does arrive I'll be offering my much loved Reflex for sale - priced to sell.

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:54am
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

I'll be using it with my EXP which already sets the cartridge loading, so should the dipswitches  on the back be switched out?
I asked Graham the same question. His reply was that the switches could be in any position when used with an Elevator - but try it both ways and see if there's an audible difference . . I couldn't hear one. 

Fixed outputs to a headphone amp and variable into a power amp sounds an excellent idea! A great minimalist system for the maximum fidelity Wink.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: IntempestaNocte
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:34pm
Whilst gazing longingly at the Accession page on the new website I noticed something that worried me.  It says 'Special Introductory Price' Shocked
Don't know if anybody has asked about this already but I am rather worried.  When is the price going to go up? And what is the usual price going to be?
I really want one but it is going to take at least a couple of months for me to get the cash together, especially as I need to sell some stuff first.  And I've just found out I've got an oil leak to get fixed, as if my vandalised wing mirror and my leaky tyre weren't annoying enough.  Should I just give up now? or am I panicking over nothing?
I have no doubt it is worth more than it is currently selling for but my purse strings won't stretch that far.  So I'll have to go back to saving for a Reflex instead.

-------------
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:53pm
Keep calm as I have lots of other things to think about over the next two or three months.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 9:45pm
Accession first impressions.

Accession arrived and plugged in to my fully burned in PSU for just over 50 hours now and started some listening after pulling Revelation M out of service.

Front end hardware
Dynavector XX2-2 low output mc
Elevator

Whole system is fed by dedicated consumer unit, mains ring + earthing rod, upgraded mains socket, specialist mains block, power leads to amp together with upgraded power leads (not my top of the range ones) to the two PSUs.

Music so far?
Buggles - age of plastic
Bellamy brothers -Bellamy brothers
Alan Parsons project - tales of mystery & imagination
Bee gees - greatest hits
Earth wind & fire - I am
China crisis -flaunt the imperfection
Art garfunkel - breakaway

Very pleased so far and will outline some of my notes below:
*Crisper sound when cleaning stylus or hitting record
*low frequencies - tighter, more punchy, greater lower bass power, more bass poise, more drive
*mid band - more open, purer, more attack, vocals cleaner and greater separation
*treble - sweeter, and more delicate

Overall balance possibly a little brighter, lighter in balance in a good way.

More natural in every area
Appears more dynamic/headroom as if a limiter has been taken off
Bigger sound
Wider
More focused/less diffused sound
Reduced what I perceived were bass colourations in my turntable

Whilst I can't say I have noticed any appreciable difference in surface noise the music is coming more out of silence; an effect I have noticed with cable upgrades particularly mains cables.
Hasn't really done the 'not noticed those instruments or music within the music' which sometimes happens (yet anyway).

Not sure how to make my next point but will try anyway.

My vinyl system had some attributes which I could not attain from my CD system Leema Antila 2S Eco But the latter had certain attributes which vinyl lacked particularly huge bass power, scale and dynamics.

With the Accession it appears to pull out the best of both worlds and minimises any negatives in the vinyl set up.

I am mindful that it is my first session with nearly 55 hours racked up but don't really want to turn it off.

I will after a session tomorrow revert back to the Revelation which remains powered up usually the best test. I am sure I will enjoy it but likely miss most of the above in one way or another.

Having owned an Era gold v and revelation M I will try and quantify the differences in magnitude between them after switching back tomorrow albeit about two weeks short of running in.

First impressions are that if I had spent a Grand or two on a new arm or turntable and had the sound now evident I would have thought if money well spent.

Summing up initial thoughts in a few words?

Natural, pure and dynamic and
no regrets so far!

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:36am
As an Accession owner I am delighted to hear someone else enjoying it as much as I do. After a few months with the preamp I am still enjoying the difference it makes to my records and your review highlights most of the benefits I have felt.

'Natural' is right as instruments sound more like real life and voices sound real. Definitely more dynamic and the Accession opens up the music with my easily hearing different parts in the recording. I think we're hearing what the record was meant to sound like and above all the music is enticing.

Looking forward to an equally eloquent and insightful part 2.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:10am

Natural, pure and dynamic
Now that's a strapline for the website, Graham . . . Thumbs Up

As Jon said, looking forward to part 2 Richard! Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:14pm

... the Accession opens up the music with my easily hearing different parts in the recording. I think we're hearing what the record was meant to sound like and above all the music is enticing

This and other similar impressions crop up again & again. It seems to me to be the key thing with the Accession. In retrieving fabulous detail it doesn't dissect the music, laying everything bare.. it seems to somehow invite you in and allow you to focus on whatever element of a mix interests you at any given time. Totally unforced and natural sounding it really does make instruments sound like living things. "Real" in fact. I'm grateful Graham also keeps his prices "real" or this kind of pleasure would be out of my reach.

Unquestionably the best phono stage I've heard. End of.

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 1:00am
. . . part 2.

Had another extended session tonight, around 75 hours on the clock.

Views remained as previously, consistent across all music, this time some other material including a few treasured 12" 45 singles from the 80's.

Difficult to pick out particular strong points as the sound is consistently good, with no apparent shortcomings but if pushed vocals are exceptionally well separated and layered, some vocals such as Abba and Bee Gees become far more distinctly separate vocal lines
rather than a wall of sound. One or my few 'new' albums which has never excelled sounded far more open (George Ezra) around his vocals.

Low bass is handled very well if present clean, tight, extended and powerful, possibly due to the middle bass being better controlled and more articulate maybe less obvious. Never felt inclined to turn off the music in a highly fatigue free session.

The one thing that attracted me the Era Gold V in the first place was that it sounded 'right'. Passing through the Revelation and now on to the Accession this continues to sound 'right' but even more so.

Moved back to the Revelation later on this evening which had remained powered up but for a few seconds. As commented upon previously when brushing the stylus, the Revelation was less crisp and fuller sounding.

The Revelation remained very good to listen to but had a 'softer' sonic signature to the sound and a little slower and narrower soundstage (the Revelation soundstage width was the most tangible attributes in my system over the Era Gold). My brother who was also present commented that he enjoyed the music as much as with the Revelation, I didn't feel quite the same but goes to prove we all here things a little differently and think he was impressed!

As time was getting on I decided to switch back to the Accession again relatively quickly. Rather worryingly, no sound! Oops, interconnects in the wrong sockets! Phew!!!

Unusually when going back to the Accession, changes were more obvious, width and soundstage in particular. Clarity, purity, naturalness all there as before and sounded right again.

So where does this rank in the scheme of things?

I never had the chance to compare my Era Gold V to my vintage Integrated Luxman Amp + SUT so cannot comment on the Era Gold other than when I compared with other similarly priced Phono stages from well known manufacturers in the dealer which the Era Gold V won hands down.

The Revelation was a more subtle upgrade on the Era Gold, improved clarity and far wider sound stage and by ear a more even frequency balance with better defined bass in particular. As commented at the time I preferred on balance the Era Gold V with my upgraded Figure of 8 power cable to the Revelation with the std Figure of 8 power lead as supplied.

The scale of the improvement is on a different scale with the Accession.

By way of illustration I will use the following basic scoring system:

Era Gold V with Std power lead           1
Era Gold V with upgraded power lead   2.5
Revelation M with Standard power lead 2
Revelation M with upgraded power lead 3.5
Accession (incl same upgraded power lead) 9-10?

The changes are NOT at all subtle.

Basing other hardware changes on the same basic scoring system over the last few years:

Leema Antila 1 CD Player -1 vs Leema Antila 2S eco - +3.5
Leema Tucana 1 Amp -1 vs Leema Tucana 2 - +4 to 5
In both cases I would have absolutely no hesitation in preferring the mark 1s with my upgraded power leads, not in the same ballpark.
My very high spec power block + 8 or 9 but again different in nature.

In terms of magnitude I would say the difference is probably a fraction greater than my latest power lead upgrades to amp and CD player, different in nature though the starting point was high in the first place (in both cases I suppose).

Bigger than my latest interconnect upgrades (although again high starting point) + 6.5 to 7.5

A close comparison I can make in magnitude AND nature was my latest speaker cable upgrade. In both cases the soundstage, mid-band vocal areas really excelled in very similar ways as was the dynamics, speed and definition, extension and power within the bass. A relatively close run race though in terms of naturalness and speed across the board but the speaker cables had the edge overall though from a price point of view the Accession improvement was far, far better value albeit only on Vinyl.

I am mindful the run in process remains maybe 15% burned in, so I am not sure what the next 400 hours will bring, only good things I expect.

Any niggles? Only the blacks bolts holding the front plate on and John has very kindly sent some silver ones. Not sure on surface noise. I have a feeling it may be a fraction more obvious but more detached (as commented by others?) Otherwise sound, absolutely NOT!

I still think this remains exceptionally good value and as said when the price was first released from a business perspective underpriced in terms of performance, but then it does enable more of us to enjoy it!

Thank you Graham (& John).

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 11:24am
Thanks for this thorough and insightful review Richard, especially the comparative ratings.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 2:51pm
A great "part 2" as well, Richard. This thread needs to be mandatory reading for all potential phono stage buyers  . . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Wizard lizard
Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 2:29pm
I must of read this thread about 4 times now, and think I've set my heart on the accession. I've ordered the reflex m psu1 for the home trial as the accession is not available yet. If I like what I hear I will probably pull the trigger on accession, as a lot of the reflex users have upgraded to this noting big improvements.
It's hard to find reviews on this product being so new, but with the detailed anayalsis from users on this forum has been a great help. Thank you

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:12pm
Welcome to the forum, John!

I'm sure you'll love the Reflex, and the Accession even more. It's got lots of great features and makes your vinyl sing . . Wink

What cart/deck will you be using?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:28pm
^^ Wot Bob said.

If you like what the Reflex does, and it IS very good indeed, then the Accession does all that & then raises the bar. Don't know what made Graham think of doing the EQ that way, but it was an inspired moment. Fabulously, joyously musical.

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:58pm
I'm using a Rega rp8 exact 2 but my preamp is one I used on an old table the tube box s. I know I'm not getting the most out of my current setup and im eger for more. I'm excited to hear the magic that graham and the gang create.

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:58pm
Welcome John - you will want for nothing more when you get an Accession, I know I never will.

By the way... would you be a fan of King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard by any chance? Great lo-fi band and I'm especially liking their last 2 LPs. 'Psychotic psychedelic garage rock' sums them up nicely

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 11 May 2016 at 10:54pm
Noting previous comments on introductory pricing I note one Midlands dealer is selling the accession at £899! Think direct GSP purchases are they way forward with your discount!

Richard

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:36am
I do like my psych preferably 60's 70's, although I have come across King gizzard before but I think i subconsciously wrote it as its trying to escape my brain.

Date Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:26pm
After a two week period of dormancy i would like to think my Accession is now fully burned in, previous listening ended at around 2 weeks or so.

Whilst most of my further listening has been on unfamiliar vinyl (Cat Stevens greatest hits - thanks MSPhil & Donna summer bad girls - all 4 sides) both have been very enjoyable. Further impressions are that vocal region in particular has opened out in terms of imaging, depth, width and clarity.
Other changes? Again difficult to say but a greater sense of drive and general clarity, tighter, faster bass perhaps and seem to be noting speed changes to bass lines which hadn't been evident before. Given these were 'untried' and pre-owned (Donna summer unlikely to have been well cared for) they demonstrated very quiet backgrounds. This was one area in the first two weeks that I was perhaps slightly less impressed with and subjectively higher than my old Revelation M.

Probably more of the same but I have both of the above on CD and the vinyl presentation is more 'relaxed' - this is no to suggest payed back and soft sounding but merely enjoyable.

Also spun my 1979 Gibson Brothers - Cuba - never a brilliant recording but sounded as clean and focused oas reasonably expected and bass surprisingly clean and well presented - will have to pull my 12" single to play another day.

Currently working through Genesis Trick of the tail - this does not appear to suit CD never sounds quite right.   Vinyl through the Accession did sound very good, great vocals, dynamics, scale and as with the above the music flowed very well throughout with no sense of fatigue. Complex passages are handled very well this appears a common feature of both the Accession and my Dynavector cartridge.

Overall I remain delighted, thanks Graham (and Phil...)

Posted By: Sturgus
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 6:17am
I have been listening for a little over 2 weeks. The Accession is a very,very good phonostage. It best my Era Gold in all areas. Larger soundstage, instrument placement, less congestion, and much quieter in the groove. This pre is just very natural sounding, almost like it's not there. I am truly impressed. It is sounding so good that I have yet to listen to the Reflex-M that I also have on loan. I have to try it out though I don't much care to. I have become addicted to the Accession. More to come later. I just have to borrow a ski mask and go to the nearest bank.😁
Sturgus

-------------
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:20am
Sturges a very good summary and sits with my own findings. I suspect you will find the reflex retains some of the soundstage (I find the era quite narrow) but suspect you won't last too long with the reflex as too many substantial benefits of the accession will be missing.

Good luck and let us know how you conclude.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:34pm
It appears TNT audio have an accession for review - see April review of ortofon 2m black . . .

Watch that space!

Posted By: IntempestaNocte
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 6:37pm
Big smile Much excitement, in about two weeks time I will be inserting a new bit of text in my sig in between the Rega RP6 and my PM6005 and it is going to read "> Graham Slee Accession >"!

I will sadly, have to leave it burning-in while I go away for a week before I get to play with it, damn holidays! LOL  I will post my impressions on here once I have had a good listen to it.  Now all I need to do is get someone to lock me in a room with my Okki Nokki some time next week so I can get all my favourite records cleaned up ready.

-------------
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
Congratulations Scott, the Accession is going to make your LPs really sing Thumbs Up

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 11:00am
Agreed. You are in for a treat Scott. I've not posted my own review as I've struggled to find the right words without sounding OTT. But anyone who is in the market for a top phono stage at any price should hear this thing before wasting their money elsewhere. Dammit..even if u only listen to CD you should still buy one - it's that good!!!
Get that old okki nokki fired up and get scrubbing

-------------
Dave

Posted By: Sturgus
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 5:57am
The deed is done. The Accession is on its way as I write this. Hopefully Graham will stop all this design foolishness and let me be.
Sturgus

-------------
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox

Posted By: khulloeen
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:44pm
After reading through these posts I am wondering if I should have bought the Accession directly (I have ordered one through the loan program). It was sent to me yesterday after superb dialog with the European loan program representative Derek Suggate (thank you very much). I'am rely looking forward to testing the Accession with my Thorens TD 320 MKii, Ortofon OM2 Black, NAD T758 and Dali Rubicon. Thank you very much guys - this is a great forum !

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:59pm
Welcome to the forum, Kjell! 

i'm sure you'll enjoy your time with the Accession . . Wink

Let us know how you get on . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: khulloeen
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:58pm
Thank you - I will leave a report once the testing has started!

Posted By: TheIncredibleHoke
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 12:51am
So when I started thinking about GSP phono stages I thought about the Era Gold V. Then the Reflex M. Now you crazy people have me considering the Accession. However, my integrated amp is a modest Peachtree Nova 65se. Nothing to write home about and I'm not sure that spending more on my phono pre is the best way to upgrade. I definitely want the best phono preamp I can afford, but upgrading my Peachtree is not in the cards. I enjoy it a great deal and it scores high on the WAF scale. 

So, am I better off sticking with the Era Gold V or Reflex M to match with my Peachtree. Or should I consider the Accession?

Thanks!

-------------
Shawn

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 1:19am
My amp is an "ever so 'umble" NAD C320BEE, and while it has its shortcomings, it has shown on more than one occasion that it's more than capable of showing what equipment upstream of it is capable of doing.

I have a trusty Gram Amp 2SE/PSU1 that was a permanent fixture.
It was ousted by a Reflex M/PSU1, which, fed by my new Hana SH cart has pretty well stopped me playing file based audio. And my FBA is pretty damned good.

I would suggest that your amp is more than capable.
The Accession has been well received here, so try it at your fiscal peril.
The Reflex M is an astonishingly good phono preamp.
The Accession is......
The only answer is to trial it, and make your own decision.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 7:24am
I have owned all 3 - Era Gold, Reflex M & Accession & whilst the first two sound pretty similar, the Accession is in another league in my system.

Having said that, I spent last evening listening to several albums through the Reflex M (as I do regularly) & if I had never heard an Accession, this would still be my phono stage of choice.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 1:56pm
Chris, that's good to know. I think it's now down to the Reflex M and Accession. I'm sure the Era Gold is fantastic, but people seem to really love these two. Thanks for your impressions; super helpful to hear from people with similar level gear.

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

I have owned all 3 - Era Gold, Reflex M & Accession & whilst the first two sound pretty similar, the Accession is in another league in my system.

Having said that, I spent last evening listening to several albums through the Reflex M (as I do regularly) & if I had never heard an Accession, this would still be my phono stage of choice.

Andrew, maybe I should just listen to the Reflex M w/o the Accession and I'll never know what I was missing? Nah... I'm too weak. Smile

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 6:47pm
Apart from the sound, the Accession has features that can be very useful. Like both a fixed and a variable output - great for feeding both an amp and an ADC for ripping. There's three EQ settings, a mono switch, and variable loading via dip switches on the back for precise tailoring of the sound.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Apart from the sound, the Accession has features that can be very useful. Like both a fixed and a variable output - great for feeding both an amp and an ADC for ripping. There's three EQ settings, a mono switch, and variable loading via dip switches on the back for precise tailoring of the sound.

I would definitely use the mono switch, but can't see the ADC being useful for me personally.

The EQ settings might be nice though as I have some older records from 1950s early 1960s.

Apart from the extra settings/controls, do people think the sound quality is that much better than the Reflex? Slightly better? Much better?

Just trying to get a feel for the differences.

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:55pm
Easy one to answer I think.

On a sliding scale of 1 to 10, I owned an era gold v for about 5 years, revelation m and now accession (revelation broadly a reflex m with the additional equalisation) though stand to be corrected.

Whilst very good if I placed the era gold V at 1 and the accession at 10 I would is the revelation M at about 2?

Yes if is so much better in my system in combo with a low output MC, elevator and upgraded power cables on all devices for comparison purposes.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:03am

Easy one to answer I think.

On a sliding scale of 1 to 10, I owned an era gold v for about 5 years, revelation m and now accession (revelation broadly a reflex m with the additional equalisation) though stand to be corrected.

Whilst very good if I placed the era gold V at 1 and the accession at 10 I would is the revelation M at about 2?

Yes if is so much better in my system in combo with a low output MC, elevator and upgraded power cables on all devices for comparison purposes.

Wow! I was expecting something like 6, 7, or 8 on a scale of 1-10. I can live with a 7 or 8. But I don't know if I can live with a 2 knowing a 10 is just a bit more. 

Today I've been thinking that the Reflex might be a sweet spot for sound with just a bit less function. Not so sure now!

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:26am
I think it might be rather easy to over read Richards comparison.
I would say that the difference between the Accession and the Reflex is much more apparent than the difference between the Reflex and the EGV.
Playing with 1 - 10 scales I would rather that the EGV were 6, the Reflex 7 and the Accession 10.
I have owned and lived with all 3 plus a Revelation M.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:05am
I've never heard the EGV but I owned a Reflex (partnered with an Elevator) for many years and was happy in the certainty that it was as good as it gets at anything like the price. A very capable phono stage and one I would happily have used forever....until Graham invented the Accession! The Accession is emphatically better in a way I still find it hard to decribe. It's not as simple as more detail or better soundstaging, although it does seem somewhat better in both of those things, it just seems to make music sound more real, more palpable...more enjoyable! A bit of Barnsley magic has been added.

If cost isn't prohibitive, thats the one to go for, knowing you'll probably never ever need to upgrade it no matter how your system develops. If you are certain you won't be changing anything then the Reflex (or EGV) might just be the ticket. As ever, the loan scheme is the best way to be sure - try a couple of models and see when you stop hearing an improvement.

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:59am
Yes Daveg agree with what you are saying and TG yes my comments weren't to suggest in anyway the Era gold was anything less than very good - just on the starting point for the scale you have a difference of 1 in a scale of 5, I have a difference of two in a scale of 10 so think we are on the same lines there. Out of interest did you find much audible difference between reflex and revelation?

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:00am

I think it might be rather easy to over read Richards comparison.
I would say that the difference between the Accession and the Reflex is much more apparent than the difference between the Reflex and the EGV.
Playing with 1 - 10 scales I would rather that the EGV were 6, the Reflex 7 and the Accession 10.
I have owned and lived with all 3 plus a Revelation M.

That's about what I expected. I think I'll try out the Reflex and the Accession and hope my aging ears can't tell the difference!

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:02am
Thank you, Dave. Cost is definitely always an issue, which is why I'm hoping the Reflex can get me in a happy place. Honestly, anything will probably give me a big improvement over my 6 yo old NAD PP2 preamp. I could stretch of the Accession if my ears told me I had to. 

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:29pm
I liked the Genera, GA2SE, Reflex/Revelation M, and the Accession. They are all very good and musical VFM at their price points. Warning: if you hear an Accession you'll probably want to buy it.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 12:21am

I liked the Genera, GA2SE, Reflex/Revelation M, and the Accession. They are all very good and musical VFM at their price points. Warning: if you hear an Accession you'll probably want to buy it.

Ha, that's not helping me. Wink

I can buy a Reflex this month or wait another month and buy the Accession. Maybe I shouldn't even bother with the in home trial of the Accesssion. Nah, I'll always wonder what could have been...

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 9:01am
I wanted to try an accession but one wasn't available at the time. I would be 100% staggered staggered if you tried an accession and any other in Graham's great range and didn't buy the accession. What I would say is that if you do try AN other you will have a huge smile I'm knowing rather than wondering what the AN Other would have been like.

Depends whether to wish to short cut the purchase timescales or not?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:45pm
That's the big question, Richard. Do I want to buy now and be 60-70% there with the Reflex or wait another month or so and go all in with the Accession.

This seems like the audiophile's choice. There's always that extra bit of performance to be had for another price bump. Confused

-------------
Shawn

Posted By: Kachui
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 2:49am
Been very happy with the Reflex M and Elevator...until I read through this forum thread...Pinch

...have just pulled the trigger and ordered the Accession! 

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Kachui Kachui wrote:

Been very happy with the Reflex M and Elevator...until I read through this forum thread...Pinch

You won't be disappointed! Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: oldagetraveller
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 11:27am

+1.Smile

I decided to trial an Accession and went on the waiting list. I cancelled the trial (sorry for messing you around Jon)and also pulled the trigger without an audition.
It replaced a Reflex M and in spite of being happy with the R M the Accession, even without any real burn in time, took things up to a different level.
Now fully burnt in I would not go back to the R M. Well I would if I didn't have the Accession.Big smile

-------------
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:18pm

You're not helping! Wink

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by oldagetraveller oldagetraveller wrote:

+1.Smile

I decided to trial an Accession and went on the waiting list. I cancelled the trial (sorry for messing you around Jon)and also pulled the trigger without an audition.
It replaced a Reflex M and in spite of being happy with the R M the Accession, even without any real burn in time, took things up to a different level.
Now fully burnt in I would not go back to the R M. Well I would if I didn't have the Accession.Big smile

Peter, can you give me a sense of the difference you are hearing from the Reflex to the Accession? It seems like people like the Reflex M - until they hear the Accession. Is it that crazy of a difference? Or were there things that you didn't like about the Reflex soundwise?

-------------
Shawn

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:49pm
+2!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net