Print Page | Close Window

"You just don't get it man!"

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Music
Forum Name: Archetypal Genesis, Floyd and Yes Generation Stuff!
Forum Description: Hippie music from the 60's and 70's mainly to do with Rock
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2560
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 7:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "You just don't get it man!"
Posted By: miT
Subject: "You just don't get it man!"
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:04pm
Hi guys,

Before we get to the problem (and explanation for why I've posted in this section), here's some background:

I'm 30 and ever since I was a baby, I've loved music. If the word audiophile comes from the ancient Greek(?) "philia" meaning "love of", then I truly am a member of that club as I love all genres of music and happily expand my horizons. I was brought up listening to my parents' collections of rock 'n' roll to pop to motown to jazz to (what I shall define as) classic rock and to this day still love them. Elvis, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Phil Collins, ELO... The list goes on and my music tastes have expanded as I have grown to be as diverse as classical to metal, drum and bass to jazz, RnB to folk, you name it, I love it.

But! To this day, I have never understood (shields raised) Pink Floyd! They come up on every inch of the web as bands to listen to so I know I must be missing something, but what? Please fellow GSPers, educate me. And can you also highlight some good songs of theirs to ease me into please? Thanks.

*retreats to safe distance*

Replies:
Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:17pm
Hi Tim,
 Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon" is a classic and I think is in a class of it's own.
The music moves you, especially if you have speakers that can reproduce the deep bass, added to the rest of the hearing/feeling frequency spectrum.

This album will test any sound system to the maximum... if you can hear the very quiet voices in the music, your system is reproducing all of the audio information.Wink Plus I love the deep bass.Smile

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:35pm
If you have listened to them and fail to understand what the fuss is about then just accept that you don't get what it is they did.
I happen to like Pink Floyd, but I first heard them in 1974 when I was 12 years old, so you could say I grew up on them.

The first Floyd album I heard was their 1973 epic "The Dark Side Of The Moon", the album that brought them to mass market and remained in the top 100 album chart for many years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon
So that's where I suggest you start Smile

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:45pm
Thanks guys. Yeah, Dark Side of the Moon is always getting mentioned.

Just to clarify I have only heard one song of theirs, partly due to having too much other music, so I haven't written them off. I just didn't know where to start. In the same way I don't get "moved" by Led Zeppelin as a whole but LOVE Kashmir, Stairway to Heaven, etc.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Tim, a few individual Pink Floyd song suggestions rather than 'prog' as such: Money from DSOTM, maybe the title track or Shine On You Crazy Diamond from Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb from The Wall or High Hopes from the Division Bell. From their early days but still catchy, try Arnold Layne or See Emily Play

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Which Floyd song have you heard?

Posted By: JamesD
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:45pm
For what it's worth I can well appreciate why some people like Pink Floyd but it doesn't rock my boat either. It's a bit like hi-fi itself, buy the electronics and the records/CDs etc. that makes YOU enjoy the music and not just what the "majority" rave about... One of my favourite vinyl singles is "Life in a Northern Town" by the Dream Academy, as it reminds me of trips 'up north' with my family in the 80's. It's probably not everyone's thing but I don't care one iota!

-------------
Aren't ears brilliant

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:58pm
There is no law that says you should like Pink Floyd, perhaps there should be!
They have a quite diverse catalogue and to dismiss them on the strength of one song is unfair to both you and them. Listen a little further and perhaps you will get it, if not, so be it, we'll accept that!
I can't pretend to like everything, individual artists apart, I have little time for RnB (as against the real Rhythm & Blues) or Drum and Bass as genres, but does that matter? Only to me.
Listen to what you like and enjoy it. Oh, and you really should listen to a bit more Led Zep!!

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:24pm
Pink Floyd. Intended for a particular audience IMO. Happy to be one, but understand that different age-groups won't get the message (not really intended for them). The clue comes up in the heavily Water's influenced latter works. Almost prophetic... in fact, possibly greater than almost Wink

Oh, and the Syd era? Well, there had to be a "hook".

As for the likes of Genesis, they changed over time, except that they don't think they did. I doubt Gabriel could ever tell the true story - and often didn't for the fun of it. Evolved into a charts group.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

There is no law that says you should like Pink Floyd, perhaps there should be!

And if I were the judge it would be, "Off with his head"!

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Happy to be one, but understand that different age-groups won't get the message (not really intended for them).

My son (30) and daughter (27) love Pink Floyd, but they were brought up with it and without a lot of stuff that Tim's parents obviously enjoy that I wouldn't give shelf space to. Each to his own!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:50pm
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far guys. If this were any other forum, I would have been burned at the stake by now.

I think my exposure to Pink Floyd has been limited because I have been out there discovering everything else so I just haven't had the time. But as I'm about to have a system capable of doing them justice, I've given up on new "music" and my music listening has evolved to being more focussed (critical listening as opposed to background), I want to see what I've been missing out on!

Chris - I think it was Wish You Were Here. After listening to it again just now (on my phone), I can see potential...

JamesD - I hear you there. My mum used to have Phil Collins - ... But Seriously in the car all the time and I hated it when I was little but now I couldn't live without it!

BackinBlack - As mentioned earlier I have not dismissed them, just too many other bands over too great a time period to listen to as well.

Graham - We'll see as I work my way through their back catalogue.

ICL1P - Haha! And that is why I want to be educated by yourselves: too many people are closed off to "other types" of music but I refuse to conform. As you implied, maybe early exposure helps with a kick in the "right" direction?

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:53am
Tim, there is a similar thread running on the WHFSV forum. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/pink-floyd-compilation
At least I only had you beheaded as opposed to burned at the stake.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:36am
Having become aware of the Floyd I have quite a vivid memory of the first time time I heard Wish You Were Here.

It was on release day in September 1975.
One of the older lads at school (for my first 3 years of secondary education I boarded at Kent School, Hostert, near Monchengladbach) had ordered up a copy, and I was one of a group of lads admitted into the opening and first spin of the record.
Seeing that black cellophane outer sleeve being carefully slit with a razor, and the inner sleeve being carefully removed with its precious contents, the artwork, the postcards all leading up to the record being removed from its inner sleeve and carefully placed on the record player, and the hushed anticipation as the needle was lowered into the groove.

The long fade in of Shine On You Crazy Diamond drew us all in, Gilmour's mournful guitar solo broke into the fade in, and from there we were all mesmerised.

Happy days Smile

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:10am
Thanks ICL1P. I rarely check What Hifi as they lost my trust long ago.

True, a quick death is always better.

Chris - Sounds like an experience and a half!

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:34am
Hi Tim,
Floyd's last album with Waters - The Final Cut, is one you should try to hear.
It's my favourite Floyd album by far but many seem to hate it...
Given the state the band were allegedly in at the time it's a miracle it was ever completed.
'It's a miracle' ... Waters' solo album  'Amused to Death' well worth hearing if you like
latter Waters period Floyd.
The last, title track, still hits home after countless plays.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Posted By: McHolmeM
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:40am
I am of the 'progressive rock' generation that was exposed to much innovative music and grew up with it, listening to and seeing bands the like of which are currently featured on Charles Hazlewood's Radio 2 series the second part of which was broadcast yesterday evening. 

So far as Pink Floyd is concerned I was introduced to them during the Syd Barrett era and this interest continued well beyond, saw them live many times the first occasion being the only time they toured Atom Heart Mother which was with a full orchestra. Meddle is the title that probably gets played the most but also The Endless River, sobering thought that 43 years separates the release of the two titles. Confused       

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

Chris - Sounds like an experience and a half!

There quite were a few moments like that around that time.
Bohemian Rhapsody was released later that year, followed by A Night At The Opera (last of the truly great Queen albums IMO - Roy Thomas Baker didn't work on any of the following albums).
Genesis released A Trick Of The Tail the following Summer.

Single of '76 for me was "Couldn't Get It Right" by the Climax Blues Band.

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:22am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Hi Tim,
Floyd's last album with Waters - The Final Cut, is one you should try to hear.
It's my favourite Floyd album by far but many seem to hate it...
Given the state the band were allegedly in at the time it's a miracle it was ever completed.
'It's a miracle' ... Waters' solo album  'Amused to Death' well worth hearing if you like
latter Waters period Floyd.
The last, title track, still hits home after countless plays.

In full agreement here. They are, or became, a "words" band - often 'very cutting' words - rather than what is generally accepted to be progressive rock. The music was still in evidence all the way through the band's career, but it began to take on a backdrop to accompany what Water's wanted to express.

I suppose it all depends on listening taste, and those who like a particular Floyd playing style will not find it on every album.

However, the words - the lyrics or sentiments - are key to a liking of the Pink Floyd journey. As I noted earlier, they - the words - will only have a connection with a particular sort, and that type of people cannot be easily 'pigeonholed' - they don't fit a mould like the following of some bands.

In a way, you'd have to have an affinity or even some sense of kinship with Water's life (and Syd's before him) to be able to latch-on and have a clue. That mindset is not in everybody, and so their works will definitely not appeal to all.

If it had not been for the musicianship of all the members, the "messages" would have never been shared with as many. There are "red herrings" amongst their catalogue which makes you wonder how they fit: the answer here is that they don't fit (IMO) - they were just meanderings from the path - albums like Obscured by Clouds fall into that category.

I shall have to try and piece together a list of albums which I think fit the "journey" I am trying (with great difficulty) to describe. A job for later.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:48am
Yes, Waters' words (a more apt description than 'lyrics' perhaps) on The Final Cut are very cutting
indeed. Especially in the wake of the recently ended Falkland's war.
Serious, heavy & earnest music, superbly played & recorded.
Look forward to your Floyd journey list Graham.

-------------

Posted By: marshmid
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

"Seeing that black cellophane outer sleeve being carefully slit with a razor, and the inner sleeve being carefully removed with its precious contents, the artwork, the postcards all leading up to the record being removed from its inner sleeve and carefully placed on the record player, and the hushed anticipation as the needle was lowered into the groove."

An almost poetic description of that special moment when the vinyl was removed from it's cover.

I have never opened a CD and felt that 'special moment.'

Thanks for the memories Chris.

Marsh

-------------
Marsh
-------------------
Reflex M, Solo UDLE

Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Yes, Waters' words (a more apt description than 'lyrics' perhaps) on The Final Cut are very cutting
indeed. Especially in the wake of the recently ended Falkland's war.
Serious, heavy & earnest music, superbly played & recorded.
Look forward to your Floyd journey list Graham.

OK, here goes.

Like many an early 70's working youth it was almost obligatory to own a stereo to be "like one's pals" and then to own the then 'trending' albums. I did the first part but found my own way regarding the second part.

My initial introduction to Pink Floyd has a lot in common with many others in that I bought a copy of Dark Side of the Moon. Musically the stereo system I had was considerably bereft so I didn't "get off on the music", but I found the lyrics intriguing. I got the feeling that the music was somehow taking the urine out of "the establishment" and even out of a popular UK TV comedy: "Are You Being Served". The lyrics on the other hand were unique and to a youth still "wet behind the ears" little made much sense, but I suppose they were laying down some foundations of an enquiring mind. I mentioned the word prophetic in an ealier reply. A prophecy - probably too religeous a word, so let me call it premonition (a description I note Water's uses) - is about a future time and what it will be like. I think anybody who listened with such intent as I did who cannot see that much of it came to be must be in a different world. Words like dark forebodings were not used casually, but I think I'm right in saying that "cuts" of meaningless trash recorded from passing members of the public were dubbed onto "Brain Damage" (without actually checking to get my facts right), as if to make the point that people would be too interested in "small things" to take any notice of any "warning".

Wanting more of what Pink Floyd offered I scoured the record shops of Sheffield and found a couple of albums: Relics and A Nice Pair. What a contrast! It just didn't sound like the same band. I had one of those moments where you go "I've just blown £4 on trash" (a lot of money back then). The difference was that these earlier works were under the leadership of Syd Barrett. At the time just one track stood out as being close to the Pink Floyd I knew from Dark Side, and that was Interstellar Overdrive from the £1 "discount" Relics. Great on a Haffler quadrasound system by the way.

The very next release was Wish You Were Here. This felt like a very difficult album for me, I wasn't sure if I wanted to follow Pink Floyd anymore. Watching the story of Wish You Were Here on TV more recently I now realise it was very difficult for the band too. They had a difficult time getting it together, and had to bring in Roy Harper from another studio to perform Have A Cigar because Water's couldn't do the range. I can understand them wanting to pay homage to the burnt out Syd Barrett, but not being a Barrett follower (too young) I just didn't get it. By this time Floyd were too detached from a northern audience, whereas Roy Harper wasn't (I was able to attend one of his concerts in Sheffield, but couldn't afford to ever see the southern centric Floyd). Perhaps because of this album I ventured into different avenues of progressive musicians.

Because of the 70's progressive "culture" I found myself biding the time through night long "journeys" listening to a much wider range of music - often played on portable equipment of dubious quality - but boy did it sound good. Whilst there I discovered more Pink Floyd material, and one in particular: Meddle which I found fascinating, especially the full side track Echoes. Another one which was highly ammusing was Ummagumma. Had it not been for these I doubt I would have had anymore interest in the group.

As the 70s drew on I was introduced to another Pink Floyd album which suitably impressed me and I have the copy I bought to this day - that being Animals. I consider Animals to be the closest thing to Dark Side of the Moon that they'd done to that time. Again there was the criticism or anti-establishment lyrics which the older generation (like mum and dad) found so insulting. I suppose it could have been taken that way, but today we see a very different picture of that "safe" establishment, and I think Floyd were right to bring it up. As for the plastic pig above Battersea power station, I think that stole much attention from the album's intent - a good marketing trick but you either followed Pink Floyd for who they were, or you followed somebody else.

Because shortly after that time my life took on a much different route I think this is a good place to stop what I'll call part one of my Floyd journey.

-------------

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:13am
Interesting take with which I mostly concur.

I think the thing with Floyd Mk II (i.e post Barrett) is they were not very prolific songwriters.. at least until Waters got into his stride. & therefore a bit inconsistent & even lazy if Mason is to be believed.

Albums tended to be patchy. Meddle for instance, Echoes is still a track I really enjoy & One of these days - the rest sounds like outtakes from a different album. DOTM was probably the 1st album that was consistent and good too. Wish You Were Here although it sounds consistent has for me only 2 outstanding tracks... Shine On Part 1 & the title track. The rest sounds like filler. Animals I think is a very underrated album, I still enjoy it. I started losing interest in them after that. I don't get the Wall... I mean I understand what it's about but it doesn't resonate with me. However, there are gems to be found throughout their career & I've always loved Gilmours guitar playing. Some of their early stuff  is really good, I like the Pompei film, Masons energy was quite a revelation compared to the rather plodding drum tracks in later stuff.

I've seen them I think 4 times, the last being the Division Bell tour and it was always an event.

I should also say that though I didn't particuarly like the heavy lyrical content of the Wall (or even a lot of the music) I think Waters' solo album Amused to Death is brilliant.

Despite all that, still one of my top bands ever

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:40pm
Graham, I really must thank you. Not only for a journey into your past and your outstanding audio creations but also for this forum. I can think of no other AV related forum that affords "less travelled" music fans like myself the opportunity to learn from the experience of others without fear of belittling! And thank you to everyone else who has contributed so far; Floyd has obviously been an important part of the most influential period of growing up for many of you so I will definitely try my hardest to do them justice.

In view of all the responses, I thought I'd briefly clarify something. The reason for my Floyd interest is because while my music tastes have always been eclectic, I haven't looked deeply into artists of the past, even some of my favourites (although I naturally have big collections of them). My music journey has now taken me to the place where I want to start filling in some holes in my collection. The likes of BB King, Eric Clapton, Eva Cassidy, etc are easy because a greatest hits album is a springboard but where do you start with Floyd? Thanks to everyone here, now I know.

I had the opportunity to start this morning on my way to work (thank you 4g+YouTube+Aux in) and listened to DotM and the start of Wish You Were Here. I completely understand why they are recommended; on a decent system, DotM must jump out at you from all directions! So far I like most of what I hear but I'd need to listen at home to focus on the lyrics. A few tracks have stood out particularly but I can't tell you which due to driving. I shall give the other recommendations a (digital) spin over the days ahead.

ICL1P - Thanks again for the WHF link. I had a quick read through and now understand what people mean about needing to listen to the whole album(s). Life in London rarely permits such indulgences but when I complete my new system, I will ensure I start!

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 5:58pm
This thread's whetting my appetite for delving more into Floyd. I've only got DSOTM (vinyl and SACD) and The Division Bell (on vinyl). So lots more to discover . . .

And, yes, whole album listening is important. Another plus point for vinyl - the effort to skip around between tracks is just too much (for me at least) . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:06pm

without fear of belittling!

Yes, that is an important rule here, and it's because virtually all audio forums are so incredibly evil...

On one I am described as a buffoon. I guess it takes one to know one... (intended as a dig at other audio forum members in general Clown)

-------------

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Yes, that is an important rule here, and it's because virtually all audio forums are so incredibly evil...

Not just audio forums

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:57pm
Yup.. the whole internetz is evil... however it does have stuff like this Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

The standout track from The Wall & this is worth checking out for a guitar masterclass & a flavour of what a latterday Floyd show was like.  I was at one of those nights in Earls Court, mostly with my chin on the floor  - gobsmacked i think it's called. My mate however left at half time, he said it was Censored. Takes all sorts. Notgreat vid quality, there used to be a better version around that fell foul of copyright laws..aah well!

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:36pm
Though not the real thing, I would thoroughly recommend popping along to one of Brit Floyds' concerts later this year. The musicianship is second to none and with some original Floyd video clips creates a quite authentic Pink Floyd experience.
I would most certainly not label them as a tribute band, they are accomplished musicians playing music written by Pink Floyd, much as orchestras play works by other classic(al) composers.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:01am
Hi, I have listened to all of the earlier Pink Floyd works though not for some years.  There could be an argument of emporers new clothes with Pink Floyd though broadly agree with many comments over variable musival content from some of their albums from excellent to very average.

The one album I perhaps do take a slightly differnt view is 'The Wall' which I throughly enjoy, there is a range of content and probably my personal favourite overall.

I do have a common Vinyl/CD of DSOM and having recently been listening to some other 70s prog rock (including Genesis - trick of the tale and Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery '76 version) the CDs do not really deliver the impact, power and complexity of the vinyl. 

Whilst I don't wish to get too involved in the vinyl vs CD debate this era of recordings does not appear to my system/ears to transfer too well, complex passages continued to hold together on my vinyl which I hadn't played for some time than the CDs I had become more accustomed to which tended to get a bit edgy  confused by comparison.  Maybe time to dig out some more vinyl!

Richard

(Leema Antilla vs Dynavector XX2-2, Mission 774 Original, Luxman PD 441, Elevator & Revelation)

Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:06am
I for one take other sites/reviewers with an extremely large pinch of salt Graham! They think you're a bafoon? HA! I bet if you got them to review your equipment after you added 3x "0"s to the price, they'd worship anything you said! Fools...

I'm slowly making my way through the suggestions guys, thanks. I listened to Wish You Were Here this morning. It certainly had some great songs but I must agree with someone's earlier comment about there being few stand out tracks. I'm currently listening to Animals and I love that each album is so completely different. The guitar solos are so enjoyable too! I can see myself chilling out to them.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:44am
Reading through this thread has encouraged me to re-evaluate Animals so next time I see it in a 2nd hand rack I may well buy it again. I originally got the LP back when it was released but sold it a few years later - I just couldn't take to it

Maybe I just have a 'problem' with double albums because as well as Animals, I am not a fan of the Wall apart from the odd track, I couldn't get enough of Gabriel era Genesis but never liked much of The Lamb Lies Down and although The Who is still my all time favourite band, I own but do not like Tommy at all (not so with Quadrophenia though, that is fabulous)

By the way, anyone who likes Floyd really should listen to a double LP (Embarrassed) by Airbag called All Rights Removed - side 4: Homesick 1-111, the long instrumental parts might as well be Wright and Gilmour at their melodic best

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:45pm

It certainly had some great songs but I must agree with someone's earlier comment about there being few stand out tracks.

With a few exceptions, I struggle with the concept of listening to some Floyd songs; it's about albums, not songs.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

With a few exceptions, I struggle with the concept of listening to some Floyd songs; it's about albums, not songs.

Don't struggle ICL1P. As recommended by all your good selves, that's what I have been doing (albeit while driving so with less focus than I could achieve at home). As each album stands alone anyway, it would be pointless to do so. But I'd rather give them credit by liking some songs on an album than writing off a whole album. As you said, there can be exceptions...

In all fairness, there are few albums of any artist where I love every song so it's not exactly a surprise. But as I said, I like what I hear.

Posted By: mitch65
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

The one album I perhaps do take a slightly differnt view is 'The Wall' which I throughly enjoy, there is a range of content and probably my personal favourite overall.

(Leema Antilla vs Dynavector XX2-2, Mission 774 Original, Luxman PD 441, Elevator & Revelation)

This was the first album I'd heard from Pink Floyd and, as a 14 year old at the time, this was the one that resonated with me (as did the film 3 years later) the most and remains my favourite.
The Final Cut, was a difficult album to listen to at the time (probably a generation too late to fully understand the message) but after revisiting many years later I have come to like it a lot.

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Posted By: discrete badger
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:39pm
I like The Final Cut, but agree it isn't easy to listen to. Waters' angst at Thatcher and the tension between the band members seems to have soaked into every recorded second. For me it's the bleakest and most desolate of the PF output, even more so than The Wall.

There are some fine songs on there, especially the soaring Waters ballads "The Fletcher Memorial Home" and the title track. The Gilmour song doesn't do much for me apart from the irony in the lyrics.

Date Posted: 24 May 2015 at 2:13am
I think "Not Now John" could have been used to greater effect. Instead of "Feck All That..." a simple change to "Feck All Left..." would have brought it into context with the rest of the album. Perhaps David wasn't given the plot?

This might give the impression that I'm anti-Gilmour - I am pro-Gilmour as much as pro-Waters - I even bought Division Bell. However, being a lover of concept albums I didn't see this as being a unified story - just a collection of songs.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:24am
TFC isn't a concept album in the way The Wall was perhaps, but it is nevertheless topical.
It was in particular I thought, a quite savage attack from Waters on the 'overgrown infant'
politicians - the  'Colonial wasters of life & limb'. The incapability or unwillingness to learn
from recent history.
Not easy listening. Many PF fans would probably rather listen to songs about journeys to
the heart of the sun.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:57am
After a nice, relaxing break, I'm back at work which means more Floyd. I have been researching the band (among others) recently so now I understand their story better. I listened to WYWH again this morning and loved it; being stress-free first certainly helps! I love the guitar (I used to play, although who didn't?) and Gilmour's solos were highly enjoyable! Give me more like Shine on!

I have decided to work my way through their albums in order so I look forward to hearing starting that when I finish my first job.

P.S. I was chatting to dad about Floyd and a few other bands the other day and it turns out he used to have DSotM and loved it! I feel cheated... [;p]

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:03am

P.S. I was chatting to dad about Floyd and a few other bands the other day and it turns out he used to have DSotM and loved it! I feel cheated... [;p]

His guilty secret, eh? LOL

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:19pm
If only! Sadly he just "grew out of" hifi and got rid of his vinyl. Kids, ay?

I spent way too much time driving today but after Wish You Were Here (love that album!), I worked my way through the following:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle

I definitely don't get the Barrett era/first two albums; I guess it only works if you're on LSD? Either way for me, Floyd got into a good swing from '70 as I love the last two and will definitely add them to my shopping list.

Roll on tomorrow...

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:21pm
Of the 2 "Barrett" albums I prefer the second, which happens to be the one he has the least input.
Fave songs for me are "Let There Be More Light", "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun", and "A Saucerful Of Secrets".

Don't give up on the early stuff just yet - some of my favourite albums I didn't really like on first listening because I didn't get what the artist was doing.
Sometimes it took years before things started to fall into place for me.
Some albums revealed their secrets as my audio system's resolving capabilities improved.
Some albums I finally got by hearing the artist's influences.
It's worth making the effort - nothing that comes easy has any real value.

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:02pm
I love PATGOD.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:19am
Thanks Chris. Relying on the van's system isn't ideal for a first listen but I shall keep trying. I agree about more effort in = greater results; that's why I've done so much additional research (the back-story, etc) to give Floyd the best chance to win me over. Three albums to buy and counting!

I'm interested ICL1P, what is it you love about it?

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:40am

I'm interested ICL1P, what is it you love about it?

Gerald, and the music!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 10:09am
"I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house I don't know why I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old but he's a good mouse"

From "Bike", the title of which should be self-explanatory...

Mr Barratt must have had some weird chat-up lines, but then again given the context it wouldn't matter - they were soon in the other room Wink

Plenty of innuendo on that one!

Nothing really prophetic or "seer of visions" about "Piper" IMO. I reckon the "seer" thing must have been a more private thing between Barrett and Waters.

However, the album's title, which was first "coined" in Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame in 1908 did have a meaning. It signalled the begining of the end of the Empire which the writer, who's day job was at the Bank of England, disguised quite well.

Quite a good title for the debut studio album, this was the dawning of Pink Floyd and they definitely were the pipers! Waters went on to bemoan the way of his country (our country) and the world after taking on the position of lyricist after Barrett's departure, in several albums, becoming more and more serious about it.

Early albums were more on the fun side but still taking a poke at the establishment with such as Arnold Layne, "takes two to know" (just my opinion).

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:26pm
Graham, you get much deeper into the lyrics than I do. I must miss a lot by just listening to the music.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Graham, you get much deeper into the lyrics than I do. I must miss a lot by just listening to the music.

That makes two of us

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:42pm
Make that three. I think I'm listening to different music to Graham! Either that or he made himself a special, extra insightful amp that he listens on...

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:49pm
No, just the same gear except it's all GSPaudio from tonearm cable end to speaker terminals (or headphone jack plug).

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:56pm
I better go clean out my ears then...

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 11:40pm
It could be a Yorkshire thing... it is such an economical language that an upbringing with it conditions you into understanding what people mean without hearing it in plain english (and sometimes only hearing a hint). Vocal inflection is often used to emphasize the point and if you listen very hard (I pinched that from Stairway to Heaven LOL) you can often sense a particular meaning like the silent wink on Arnold Lane... Wink

I must also admit that I'm into the words as much as the music. Song is an important thing and in history was often a way of sharing information without sounding like it - a bit like rhyme.

Try "Learning to Fly" from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and you might find a bit of Floyd innuendo, continued in "One Slip".

Still on that album, "Dogs of War" shocked many Americans who saw it as being what Pink Floyd wanted to do, when it should be obvious that they're singing it as if they're the "dogs" to show how "dogs" think and behave - an exposé.

"On The Turning Away" cements much of their earlier work and DSoTM especially. From that you will find - if you don't already - that the word dark or darkness is nothing to do with lighting conditions, and light means enlightenment. As the "prof" says at the end of DSoTM "there is no dark side of the moon really, as a matter of fact it is all dark" - neither were they referring to the moon...

Perhaps it was because I was one of those youths searching for enlightenment as part of the late 60's early 70's thing? I must add that I'm not one of those who plays records in reverse to find hidden meanings - that's a load of crap IMO - however it does sound like "satan's wood shed" if you play Zep's Stairway to Heaven backwards LOL. The real meaning however is in the normal direction of play!

And before I forget, "Lapse" is an album without Waters, so Gilmour is of the same ilk even if he isn't into doing an entire concept album - concepts are there but mixed in with tracks containing other concepts.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:00am
One more thing (two actually).

Same album ("Lapse"), listen to the track called "Sorrow" which features the lyrics "...silence that speaks so much louder than words..." which sums up a lot of what the song is about.

Musicianship is excellent and the album is worth buying just for the music. Going back to "Sorrow" last track on the LP album, listen out for Mason "calling time" on Gilmour with the biggest kick of the bass drum I've ever heard from Mason.

-------------

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:20am
You illustrate very well what I have found myself, that what I take from a piece of music, a book, a play or a film depends very much on what I bring to it.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me so far. I've gone a bit quiet in this thread so I thought I'd post a little update.

I made it to The Wall but couldn't get past it (no pun intended) as it is a brutal listen and kind of turned me off (the film didn't help... ), but that could be due to needing a break, not just from the Floyd. I really want to re-listen to the others I liked so far (Atom Heart Mother to Wish You Were Here) so I will buy the remastered CDs soon so that I can listen to them on a proper system. To make it a worthy experience, I'm buying a set of HD540s from Ash and will replace my current gear with a powered Bitzie at the end of the month as the rest of it is on hold.

In the meantime I've started on ELP, The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits and after years of delaying, southern rock. Fitting as prog and southern were (apparently) warring for attention in the 70s.

Anyhoo, that's it from me.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:40pm
You might like to amend your post Wink
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/28/copyright-reform - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/28/copyright-reform

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm
What post?

Thanks!!

Posted By: dillon
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:08pm
As a punk in 1978 the very last thing we could endure was prog rock! Especially the Floyd and their nefarious imitators..doodle this..long doodle that. Roll on to the heady acid house days of 1988 to 1994 and we'll wouldn't ya know it the Floyd are in high fashion and always being played at my house post clubbing. I never got them in 78..but as with all things in life and growing, im happy to have had an evolution in music appreciation. Where former things less likely melt away. But not for Genesis or a good many other sub par prog rockers - thank you very much Rick Bleedin Wakeman. I accidently also happen to know ole vegetable head himself from Gong - Steve Hillage - personally. He's bonkers yes.

Now I'm one of their biggest fans! Shine on you crazy diamonds...

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:30pm
While I wasn't a punk in '78 (or born for that matter), I was a fan of harder, modern rock bands (i.e. Muse, Linkin Park, some metal, etc) before my tastes matured to include the Floyd. I guess what I'm saying is we come from different generations of harder/rawer music but we've met in the middle at Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
Indeed mate. Indeed.

I havent got any first issue Floyd pressings on vinyl. I do have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs mastered one and its my fave mastering of all. Just astounding. There is also a 2015 digital remaster from Germany which is very different to others I have heard. No details on if its official or unofficial though? I am not a fan of any of the recent digital remasters by the record company. The albums is processed to sound completely noise free etc. And loses its vitality..in other words becomes boring.

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 11:39pm
I've also got the Mo-Fi DSOTM, early 80's vintage I think, very thin vinyl anyway. It's noticably better than the 30th anniversary heavyweight vinyl reissue I bought about 10 years ago which sounds like the speakers are behind a curtain. I wish I still had the copy I bought on the day the album was first released. Can't remember if the label was blue or black but I somehow feel it was better than either of the copies I have now.  Probably rose tinted specs as we all know musical memory only lasts 10secs.. not 40 years!!

Incidentally I checked discogs to see if I could find an early 70's pressing. A near mint UK 1st pressing with the blue label and both posters & stickers untouched was only.................................... £2400.00 Confused

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:36am
Yikes! So vinyl is becoming even more elitist then...

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:11am
Yeah, I've never understood that "collector" mentality. How can an album that's sold between 30 & 40 million be rare? I only buy for the music, couldn't care less if it has all the stickers, posters & what not as long as the vinyl is good. In fairness a decent early 70's US copy can be had for 50 bucks down to as little as 7 dollars

-------------
Dave

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:20pm
Indeed I can see how a unique item like the Mona Lisa has a high value but mass produced electric guitars go for silly money, anyone for a 1959 Les Paul?

Luckily there are a lot of second hand records at more reasonable prices than £2,400. Perhaps it's just the emergence of high end 'investment' market in old vinyl already seen in art, wine, cars, etc.?

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:42pm
Its a bleedin minefield!

There are companies claiming to sell the best or "hottest pressings" of widely available vinyl for silly money. They decide of course what that actually means but a handful of rich customers, maybe even just 10 or so, keep these shops in very good bizznezz. One such bloke makes so much dosh he can afford to live extremely comfortably. Guess Graham's in the wroing business😤

-------------

Posted By: lwdykes
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:43pm
I just picked up a NM- UK pressing of Pink Floyd's "A Nice Pair" on vinyl.  That is a good way to get both Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets -- good quality pressings -- without breaking the bank.  You have to be careful which pressing you order...I've read that both the US and Japanese pressings of ANP swap out the studio version of Astronomy Domine for the live version.

Posted By: brubacca
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:50pm
Not to totally change the subject, but I feel similarly about the bank KISS.  I don't get it..  

-------------
Regards,
Charlie
Pennsylvania, USA

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net