Print Page | Close Window

Just joined

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: Claiming your member's discount
Forum Description: Club Loyal Activity Discount for all posting members
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2414
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Just joined
Posted By: Art frames
Subject: Just joined
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 2:22pm
Hi everyone

I have just joined. Previously I looked in from time to time but already I am glad I did.

Both Graham and John have made me feel welcome already. And I can tell that I will be made welcome even when I ask obvious stuff.

I'm hoping to make changes to my systems which is always stressful. The first is to upgrade the solo and Graham has already given me his advice, which seems very straightforward. Once Christmas is over and the postman has had a rest.

But then I will be looking to do much more with the hard drive of vinyl rips I have gathered. 

I am a big fan of vinyl. But I am still learning about what I can mention on your site (other brands and things) so I will tread carefully before I leap.

Looking forward to learning lots and taking part where I can.

(Hoping this doesn't turn up in the wrong section of the forum)

Peter

-------------
Peter

Replies:
Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 2:25pm
Welcome Peter.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 2:27pm
That was fast....thank you! Smile

-------------
Peter

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 2:55pm
Welcome to the forum Peter!

As there is no risk of any undue competition when it comes to turntables and cartridges they are both safe and fair game to discuss openly and endorse as you like I believe. It's when it comes to products that directly compete with Graham's own produce that there is a discouragement for natural reasons.

Anyhow, I hope you'll feel right at home here and choose to stick around. It really is a very nice corner of the world wide web and you learn new stuff all the time, even though a lot of the more technical things here go straight above my head I must confess. Smile

-------------
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:24pm
Hi Peter, and a warm Welcome from me too.
As you will have noticed we're a friendly bunch, so please do join in with any questions or observations you may have.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:45pm
Johan

Thank you.

I understand that, I would not be looking to endorse anything in particular just pick up thoughts and what people find works.  

The things that particularly interest me are the best ways to avoid the (in my opinion) harsh sound of some digital which is just as annoying as the bad quality of some vinyl which drove me to CDs. But having latterly moved back to vinyl I realise how nasty some CDs are and how bad they sound. I am also finding vinyl is not universally wonderful with quite a few recent purchases being disappointing. 

I have some lovely vinyl (with a rejuvenated linn turntable) and some lovely vinyl rips on my Mac desktop prepared by friends and myself (but in a different room). And am trying to decide on the best way to enjoy them without turning my hifi into my computer and vice versa. I am not sure I buy into streaming, I tried it and wasn't totally convinced but I am in no hurry and it is getting better. I have burned lots of the vinyl rips into DVD audio discs which work very well (using a Marantz bluray/sacd/dvd-a player). They sound much better than any digital downloads, SACDs etc...to me.

The thing I look for most is how the sound makes me feel. Analogue seems to make me happier, my feet tap and I smile. 

But I am waffling.

Thank you for the welcome

-------------
Peter

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:46pm
Ian

Yes very friendly. Thank you. Smile

-------------
Peter

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Art frames Art frames wrote:

The thing I look for most is how the sound makes me feel. Analogue seems to make me happier, my feet tap and I smile. 

But I am waffling.

Welcome. Sincere waffling like this is good.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
Another welcome Peter, from me

I listen to and enjoy all music formats and have found that the Majestic works wonders with digital sources, producing a smooth analogue-like sound unlike any other DAC I have owned or heard previously. Inputs are so versatile that you can use coax, optical or usb digital and also run an analogue turntable through via RCA analogue. It's well worth borrowing one on the loan scheme

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Another welcome Peter, from me

I listen to and enjoy all music formats and have found that the Majestic works wonders with digital sources, producing a smooth analogue-like sound unlike any other DAC I have owned or heard previously. Inputs are so versatile that you can use coax, optical or usb digital and also run an analogue turntable through via RCA analogue. It's well worth borrowing one on the loan scheme

+1Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
Another welcome from me, Peter . . .

If you have a hard drive full of vinyl rips you could do a lot worse than connect it to a little Raspberry Pi mini-computer. A few of us use it for streaming, but you can plug in a USB drive too. The big advantage of trying this is its cost - or lack of it! "Cheap-as-chips" comes to mind!

http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/raspberry-pi-streaming_topic2344.html - Have a look here.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: msphil
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Art frames Art frames wrote:

Johan

The things that particularly interest me are the best ways to avoid the (in my opinion) harsh sound of some digital which is just as annoying as the bad quality of some vinyl which drove me to CDs. But having latterly moved back to vinyl I realise how nasty some CDs are and how bad they sound. I am also finding vinyl is not universally wonderful with quite a few recent purchases being disappointing. 

I have some lovely vinyl (with a rejuvenated linn turntable) and some lovely vinyl rips on my Mac desktop prepared by friends and myself (but in a different room). And am trying to decide on the best way to enjoy them without turning my hifi into my computer and vice versa. I am not sure I buy into streaming, I tried it and wasn't totally convinced but I am in no hurry and it is getting better. I have burned lots of the vinyl rips into DVD audio discs which work very well (using a Marantz bluray/sacd/dvd-a player). They sound much better than any digital downloads, SACDs etc...to me.

But I am waffling.

Thank you for the welcome

I can certainly recommend the Majestic for digital sources. It is superb! It produces a valve like, analogue sound with bags of detail and musicality. I was so impressed I bought two. One for the bedroom (for use with Grado PS 1000 headphones and the Solo ULDE) and one for the lounge with a Squeezebox touch streaming music  to the Majestic from an Apple Mac, a pair of Proprius monobloc amplifiers and a pair of PMC Touch 8 speakers. Both systems, especially the one in the lounge, sound fantastic. With both systems I use GSP interconnects and speaker cables.

The local PMC speaker representative has told me that my system sounds better than the demonstration rig that they use for hi-fi shows (costing in excess of £15,000! It's certainly the best hi-fi system I have heard. If you have any doubts about what I'm saying try borrowing a Majestic (and other items) from the loans scheme.

-------------
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:32pm
Welcome aboard Peter. You've joined lots of enthusiastic and helpful music lovers as you'll know already.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:41pm
Thank you. lots of ideas, which seem to point to retrying my squeezebox but with a majestic dac. I also have an old mac mini to rig up. I have put lots of music on a portable hard drive and can stream via apple TV (but that is mostly for my sons to watch YouTube)

I didn't try the touch through a dac. As I didn't have one at the time. I also didn't have ethernet to the hifi (I fixed that recently too). So maybe a retry of streaming would be in order. 

I do have a nice dac now, not the majestic. Graham wasn't making one at the time I checked. 

I read through a huge discussion before he did (admittedly a while ago) whilst I was trying to make the squeezebox (since gifted to my son) work nicely. That discussion I presume became the first dac. 

Things move on very quickly. 

-------------
Peter

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:49pm
I wish you would all stop recommending the Majestic to everyone that drops by here. I don't want them to run out before I'm allowed to get one!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 7:59pm
Shouldn't you be gluing, sanding, varnishing or something constructive? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Shouldn't you be gluing, sanding, varnishing or something constructive? Wink

I was hoping to help the boy with the speakers today, but he got up late and spent the day (afternoon) making chilli jam and generally making the kitchen sticky.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:16pm
Speakers or Chilli Jam - a difficult choice!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net