Print Page | Close Window

Raspberry Pi streaming

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Digital Audio
Forum Name: Computer Audio
Forum Description: Is computer audio here to stay or is it just another flavour of the month?
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2344
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Raspberry Pi streaming
Posted By: morris_minor
Subject: Raspberry Pi streaming
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 5:28pm
A big thanks to ICL1P (Ifor) for dropping in this afternoon and bringing his Raspberry Pi/Digi for me to audition.

It took all of 5 minutes to get the device up and running on my system taking music files from my Mac and streaming to the Majestic (in place of a Cambridge Audio NP30).

It took less time to convince me that I need to get one (well, two actually) to replace my CA kit which has never really impressed. Since both the NP30 and the Stream Magic 6 feed external DACs half the functionality is redundant, and the resale value of both could probably fund around 8 Pi/Digis.

In terms of sound, it was as good as the DAC, which, of course, in the Majestic's case is truly excellent. With browser and app options for controlling the Pi (running Volumio or Rune) do you really need anything else? A big case with knobs and a fancy display? (Not that the CA kit has anywhere near a fancy display).

You have to think that the Hi-Fi manufacturer's approach to audio streaming (GSP excepted!) is to put a premium price on the kit to help their bottom line - and dress it up with marketing-speak to justify it. The success of Slim Devices' Squeezeboxes was due, in part, to them being priced as computer peripherals, not hifi. With the R Pi the wheel seems to have turned full circle. . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Replies:
Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:55pm
This is very interesting Bob, the more I read about the Pi/Digi combo the more intrigued I am for my own system

Would this work streaming music wirelessly from a NAS server in another room and if so, at what resolution for FLAC files (or does the Pi need to be connected by ethernet cable)? Maybe Ifor/Ian or another Pi user could answer if you don't know

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

This is very interesting Bob, the more I read about the Pi/Digi combo the more intrigued I am for my own system

Would this work streaming music wirelessly from a NAS server in another room and if so, at what resolution for FLAC files (or does the Pi need to be connected by ethernet cable)? Maybe Ifor/Ian or another Pi user could answer if you don't know

Andrew, I've avoid wireless (you would need a wifi dongle for the Pi) because it doesn't work well in my house. My Pi is connected by Ethernet and Homeplugs to an an external hard disk connected to my iMac in a different room.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:09pm
Thanks Ifor....that could pose a challenge because the music room is in an extension with the original outside wall of the house between it and the hall (where the server sits) so running ethernet is going to be difficult. I suppose homeplugs might be possible but the music room has a dedicated ring main not running via the consumer unit and I am not even sure the link would work

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:10pm
In your situation I would be drilling through the wall and putting an Ethernet cable through. My wall is two foot thick and then I would have to circumnavigate a fireplace.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 11:10pm
Good stuff! Hoping to be joining you in Pi streaming shortly.

So it sounds good into the Maj? Using coax? Or optical? What resolutions are you trying? Interested to know.

Graham

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:02am
It was a fairly quick test - more a proof of concept, so I didn't explicitly try hi-res files. Connection to Majestic was coax Lautus.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Good stuff! Hoping to be joining you in Pi streaming shortly.

So it sounds good into the Maj? Using coax? Or optical? What resolutions are you trying? Interested to know.

Graham

Virtually all my music is Apple Lossless (ALAC) at CD quality.  I normally connect to my DAC by coaxial, but have tested optical.  The highest resolution album I have is Paul & Linda McCartney's RAM.  I have it in WAV and ALAC at 32bit 96kHz.  I've just tested both versions through coaxial and optical (now playing).  I have a few FLAC flies at CD quality and obviously some MP3s.  All play OK by both connections.

When I had the loan Majestic I tried out both coaxial and optical on CD resolution files only.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

The highest resolution album I have is Paul & Linda McCartney's RAM.  I have it in WAV and ALAC at 32bit 96kHz.  I've just tested both versions through coaxial and optical (now playing).
It dropped out for a second just now.  The timing coincided exactly with be opening the magnetic cover of my iPad.  Coincidence?  I don't know.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 10:51am
R Pi B+ and Digi+ now ordered . . . Smile

All this talk of Model A, B and B+ takes me back to the days of the BBC micro. Just a coincidence - basic (sic.) computing for the masses . . . ?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

R Pi B+ and Digi+ now ordered . . . 

1 or 2 Bob?

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 2:33pm
All we need now is the software updates from Rune or Volumio to accomodate the changes from Pi B to Pi B+ to enable the Digi+. My B+ continues to work well, learnt that the settings will remain after power off providing you shut down first, rather than just disconnecting the power. We live and learn....

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 2:52pm

R Pi B+ and Digi+ now ordered . . . 

1 or 2 Bob?
Just the one - for now . . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: marshmid
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 3:47pm
I would not be surprised if the A and B harked back to the BBC Micro. David Braben, is mentioned in the setting up of Raspberry Pi who was the author of Elite, the only computer game I have really played.
In the Raspian download, there is an image of Risc OS.

Off topic but a new version of Elite is imminent (Kickstarter funded).

I bought a Raspbery B+ but have now decided to buy a model B as well since it may be some time until the software is amended. In addition, there is a wealth of projects that work with the model B.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:42am
I never imagined I'd ever get a computer in a jiffy bag poked through my letter box. The Pi has landed, the Digi+ will take longer I'm told.

And Elite! I loved this game!  . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:25pm

the Digi+ will take longer I'm told.

Hopefully the Rune or Volumio will have caught up by the time it arrives.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:17pm
Reading around the Raspberry Pi forums, my impression was that only 1 or two folk have got the Digi+ working with either Volumio or Rune. Most seems to have problems. Thanks for confirming that for me Ifor.

I have now received my Pi version B and awaiting the Digi. Once I get these working together,then I will buy the Digi+ for my Pi+.

Re: Elite
Bob, please call me Commander in future.

Marsh

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by marshmid marshmid wrote:

Reading around the Raspberry Pi forums, my impression was that only 1 or two folk have got the Digi+ working with either Volumio or Rune. Most seems to have problems. Thanks for confirming that for me Ifor.

Marsh

I think it needs some real programming knowledge to get the Digi+ and Pi B+ working. I can't get Volumio to work at all with the Pi B+. I've got close a few times with Rune, but for now have settled on using Rune and the USB output into the Majestic.  It's still quite impressive, but that's what the Majestic does, it takes all but the lowest definition files and makes them into Music.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:25am

Re: Elite
Bob, please call me Commander in future.

Marsh
Yes, Sir! (Is your surname Jameson by any chance? LOL)

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
Bob,
You have a better memory than me. That we be a good pub Quiz question. Only those older than 50 would would know!

I have now done some reading around the subject of Raspberry Pi streaming and not feeling enlightened. There is a massive amount of documentation on Rasbian & RasbpianMC but it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe Ifor could provide some pointers?

I certainly would be grateful.

Marsh

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:24pm

I have now done some reading around the subject of Raspberry Pi streaming and not feeling enlightened. There is a massive amount of documentation on Rasbian & RasbpianMC but it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe Ifor could provide some pointers?

I certainly would be grateful.

Marsh

There were only three fora I needed to look at: HiFiBerry, Volumio and Rune Audio. If you're looking to get a R Pi B working with a HiFiBerry Digi it's all covered. If you're looking to get a R Pi B+ working with a HiFiBerry Digi+ you will find that one or two people have got it working and you may wish to try their fixes or wait "a few days" for the beta of Rune 0.3, which should have it covered. I don't know when Volumio will have it covered.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:47am

Bob,
You have a better memory than me. That we be a good pub Quiz question. Only those older than 50 would would know!
Not a good memory! I http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_%28video_game%29 - cheated ...

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 7:41am
HiFiBerry has just announced that picoreplayer is the first distribution to include support for the HiFiBerry Digi.
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home
http://www.hifiberry.com/news/

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:17am
That's a good find, Ifor. Looks like a good solution for extending or replacing Squeezeboxes.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:45am

That's a good find, Ifor. Looks like a good solution for extending or replacing Squeezeboxes.
Bob, you can also hunt out Squeezeplug, which should do the same.  I tried it before I got Volumio working, but could't get it to work.  This was before I got Volumio and Rune working.  I think my failure with Squeezeplug was because I could't get the share to mount, which was also the problem I had with Volumio and Rune initially.

I don't know whether or not Squeezeplug is + compatible yet, but I doubt it.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 12:27pm
Ifor wrote

HiFiBerry has just announced that picoreplayer is the first distribution to include support for the HiFiBerry Digi.

Thanks for these links; picoplayer.com is well documented with the configurations required to get it working. That should be a great help.

The News section also claims the latest release "Supports the new raspberry B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ and Digi+ cards. Supports the new IQaudIO+ card as well."

Marsh

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:12pm
Yes, it was support for the plus versions of HiFiBerry Digi and RPi B that I was intending to point out, but I missed out the +!!
I'm assuming that people here won't be interested in the bits that include a a DAC, like the HiFiBerry DAC and DAC+ and the IQaudIO bits.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 6:30pm

Ifor wrote

Thanks for these links; picoplayer.com is well documented with the configurations required to get it working. That should be a great help.

The News section also claims the latest release "Supports the new raspberry B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ and Digi+ cards. Supports the new IQaudIO+ card as well."

Marsh

I've loaded Picoplayer onto the Pi B+/Digi+ and installed Logitech Media server. I'm pleased to report that it all works via SPDIF/coax, toslink is lit up so I assume that is also active . A little time needed now to assess usability and most importantly Sound Quality.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

A little time needed now to assess usability and most importantly Sound Quality.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it and of other distributions when they become available.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 1:55pm
+1 to that.

Marsh

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 2:01pm
This thread, if it develops, might be of interest to manufacturers of DACs and Streamers.

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/rpi-as-appliance-t457.html

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:47pm
Digi+ just arrived. Now just need Rune to pull their finger out for v.03 beta . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:54pm

Digi+ just arrived. Now just need Rune to pull their finger out for v.03 beta . . .
On Sunday, we're going away to Trinidad & Tobago for a couple of weeks.  I hope v.03 beta is released by the time I get back and that you and Ian have ironed out any issues.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:57pm
Enjoy your holiday Ifor! I'll phone you daily with progress reports . . .  

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 5:01pm

Enjoy your holiday Ifor! I'll phone you daily with progress reports . . .  
Thanks Bob.  No need to phone and the number you have is my work mobile so I'm not taking that with me!  You can put the updates here or email me; I'll check both if I get good WiFi.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 8:40pm

I'd recommend that you give PiCore Player a try, particularly if you already have squeezebox devices. If not then you'll also need to install Logitech Media player.

So far I have found the piCore + Logitech Media player to operate easily and smoothly with the pi B+ and Digi+. The PC interface is certainly faster and easier to use than Rune; although the setup procedure is a little less obvious, but quite do-able if you follow the instructions!!
The sound quality via the digi+ SPDIF output is somewhat better than USB directly from the pi B+ with either Rune or piCore.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:43pm
Ian, are you all PC? Bob, if you try PiCore let me know how you get on with the Mac. I might give it a go when I get back, but I've no problem with the speed or interface of Volumio and Rune.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:51pm

Ian, are you all PC?

I try to be, particularly in Public, but it can be rather tiresome.
On the other hand, my computers are all Windows based.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 9:56pm

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 8:48am

The PC interface is certainly faster and easier to use than Rune;

MPoD (iPhone) and MPaD (iPad) are good alternatives to the Rune and Volumio UIs. I think there's also Droid MPD for Android devices.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:08am

On Sunday, we're going away to Trinidad & Tobago for a couple of weeks.  I hope v.03 beta is released by the time I get back and that you and Ian have ironed out any issues.

Obviously it was just wishful thinking.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:29am
I hope you had a good time in T&T Ifor . . . 

And yes, no advances on the fruit filled pastry front. Disapprove

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:41am
Rune Audio has announced that Spotify will be integrated into the 0.3beta release. Apparently this is a big thing.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:43am
Good news about Spotify. I use it a fair amount, and the kids do all the time. When I can get a R Pi working in the living room system with a hopefully-good Spotify interface on Rune maybe I can persuade the kids to abandon bluetooth streaming from their iPhone/Pods in favour of a better quality sound? Or is that a Squadron of Pork approaching out of the sun . . . ? Disapprove

If Spotify integration is what's holding up 0.3beta I wish they'd held it off to 0.4 so 3 gets released sooner!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:34pm
Rune 0.3Beta is due on October 29th! Thumbs Up

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:45pm

Such confidence Bob?!

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:23pm
I just got the newsletter too. Good news!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 4:37pm

Such confidence Bob?!
LOL
In my defence, I did say it was "due" on the 29th, not that it would actually materialise then . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:17am
Volumio 1.5 is available for download. It claims compatibility with R Pi B+, but I don't know whether it's compatible with the HiFiBerry Digi+.

No sign of a Rune 1.3 beta a few minutes ago.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:55am

Volumio 1.5 is available for download. It claims compatibility with R Pi B+, but I don't know whether it's compatible with the HiFiBerry Digi+.

No sign of a Rune 1.3 beta a few minutes ago.

Don't despair, 14 hours of today yet to go in Italy.

I'll have a look at Volumio, haven't yet made it work on the Pi B+, but if it has the latest kernels configured it should have the HiFiBerry connectivity.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 9:52am
I noticed that V1.5 has a selection option for HIFiBerry +, but I don't know whether this will work for Digi+ as well as DAC+. No doubt you will find out Ian.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 9:58am
Ifor,
SD card being prepared now.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 10:39am
I've got Curved Air playing through V1.5 in the sitting room as I work, in silence, in the study.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:15pm
V1.5 works OK on the B+ and with the Digi+! Sounds quite good so far......
Now to come to terms with the GUI and loading/editing new Webradio feeds.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:25pm

V1.5 works OK on the B+ and with the Digi+! Sounds quite good so far......
Now to come to terms with the GUI and loading/editing new Webradio feeds.
That's good news.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 3:18pm
I am currently downloading RA 0.3beta.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 3:20pm
Likewise!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 5:19pm

Such confidence Bob?!
Oh ye of little faith! Approve

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 5:39pm
I'm now listening through RA0.3b.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:30pm

Such confidence Bob?!
Oh ye of little faith! Approve
Forgive me father LOL

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:04pm
Rune Audio 3.0beta also working for me. MPD settings changes sometimes cause it to frreze, but now they're all set and everything sounds fine.
It's still difficult to choose between Rune and PiCorePlayer. Nothing in it SQ wise. If you're used to Logitech Media server and Squeezebox, then PiCore is probably easier to use.

-------------

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:14pm
So we've gone from Flying Pigs to Hog Heaven in a few hours. Sweet! I'm tempted to join you in the despite having working Squeezebox Touches.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:46am
I just saw this over at Rune.

Re: RuneAudio 0.3-beta for Raspberry Pi
by matt » Today, 03:03

I just thought I'd mention that I had been using picoreplayer for the past couple of weeks while waiting for the beta to come out and i thought it sounded pretty good.
Well I'd have to say that runeaudio 0.3 beta absolutely blows it away as far as sound quality goes. Combined with the hifiberry dac+ , my system has never sounded so good, I am stunned!!     
I am sitting on my couch listening to some Sade with a big grin on my face, I dont think I'll be going back to work this afternoon.   
Well done to the RuneAudio team.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:38am
Consume Mode ...

... which is when tracks disappear from from the playlist after playing is my preferred "playlist" mode.  It equates to taking a CD from the shelf, putting it in the CDP and it putting it back on the shelf when it's finished playing.  This mode is turned off by default in the new releases of both Volumio and Rune.

I sought help and this is the guidance I was given:

Rune

Hi ICLlP,
we temporarily removed that from the UI long ago.
Anyway you can always toggle consume mode calling these urls:

ON:  http://runeaudio.local/command/?cmd=consume%201 - http://runeaudio.local/command/?cmd=consume%201
OFF:  http://runeaudio.local/command/?cmd=consume%200 - http://runeaudio.local/command/?cmd=consume%200
(or put your player's IP instead of "runeaudio.local")

Volumio

http://volumio.org/forum/how-turn-consume-mode-t1938.html#p8152 - How do I turn on Consume Mode v1.5

http://volumio.org/forum/how-turn-consume-mode-t1938.html?sid=4ed34010890ca6dabcbaa53acabcf5fb#p8152">Post by  http://volumio.org/forum/member1199.html?sid=4ed34010890ca6dabcbaa53acabcf5fb - joda2  » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 pm 

under the circle with the playing time you find 4 buttons, number 4 is the consumer mode (the others are: play random, repeat only one track and repeat the whole playlist)

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:40am

. . . .  MPD settings changes sometimes cause it to frreze, but now they're all set and everything sounds fine.
I have this problem - but it's not going away . . .

Setup NAS share went fine, updating music files started, then changed volume to fixed out (probably unnecessary since I'd be using the S/PDIF on the Digi+), and then all I had was the connecting spinner.

Cut the power, reflashed the card image expecting to start from scratch with the NAS setup, but I still just get the connecting spinner - this time from power up. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

(I might reformat the card, then reflash the image . . . all a bit frustrating really Confused )

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:48am
Bob, I had it with Rune also. I could ssh in from Terminal, but sudo shutdown -r now did not work.  Others have reported this.  So, I just switched the Pi off and on at the wall wart, without reflashing the card, and all was good.  I think you might have to reflash again.

If you want to try Volumio I have the secret advance setting needed to set up the OS X share.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:25am
Thanks Ifor. The reformat and reflash seems to have done the trick. The library is now updating. How long for 25,000 tracks, I wonder?

If I don't get on with Rune I might take up your offer of the secret setting for Volumio (but wouldn't you have to kill me if you told me?) . . . Though thinking about it, I'm getting my library from a Windows Home Server box so don't need an OS X setting  . . .Ermm  

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:14am
Well, I'm getting there.

Library updated. Playlist playing - but no sound through Digi+ and I can't see where to enable it. The Runeaudio settings for output only give analogue/HDMI as choices.  (And there's a little green light on the Digi+ so it appears to be connected ok.)

And I switched to Spotify, which loads up fine and "plays" (no sound yet!) - but I can't switch back to the network mount!

Any ideas?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:55am
Ok - got it working now. Switch to digi+ from the I2S list!

Got out of Spotify too.

Look like it's good to go! Pheww!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm
First impressions of RPi-Digi+ are very encouraging. It does everything I was doing with the Stream Magic 6 plus has a far better UI. Though I do miss an Album view, that the search only partly makes up for (maybe in a later release?).

Rubbish pic below of RPi on the device it'll be replacing, with the Lautus going off to the Majestic DAC.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:24pm
Bob, you can turn on Album Art in Rune, but not in Volumio.  Remember you can also try MPoD and MPaD on you iPhone and iPad.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:51pm
Thanks Ifor. Yes, I'd turned album art on, but it was the browse by albums, not artists, view I was missing. E.g. you want Schickelburger's 99th Symphony and you can't remember who was playing it . . .

Yes, the search would turn up all the tracks, but you'd have to add them individually to the playlist. Being a lazy old git . . .. however MPaD does have an album view so I'm sorted!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 6:43pm
An interesting (I think) observation about updating the MPD with both V and RA.

Until today I had several folders within my Music folder e.g. Ripped by Rip, Ripped by Max, Ripped by iTunes, Ripped by XLD, Amazon MP3, FLAC and Other Downloaded Music. Basically each time I changed the ripping application I use I changed the folder the files were stored in. It put an extra irritating level into browsing, but at least I knew where it came from. Really important; not! MPD indexed it all pretty quickly, or least seemed to. At lunchtime today I put everything in one folder and got rid of the empties. Reindexing has taken forever.

One other observation. MPaD and MPoD are not working with V. Or is it RA? Whichever, it's broken for now with one, but not the other.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 6:44pm

... however MPaD does have an album view so I'm sorted!

Excellent!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:43pm
Rune seems to be working well now, save the problems which most others also seem to be experiencing with changing settings in mPD etc..
All I now have to do is work out how to feed Qobuz from Laptop to Rune before my trial expires. It appears that on Win 8.1 the Qobuz app only has WASAPI as an output option. Any one have any ideas?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:39pm
Ian & Bob, have either you tried any hi res stuff through Rune yet? The highest sample rate I've got is 96 kHz and I've not tried it yet.

0.3 alpha didn't work for me; there were lots of dropouts so for the last few months I've been using Volumio. This Rune 0.3 beta seems to be working really well so I rewarded them for their efforts, as I saw you did Ian. Mind you I rewarded them for 0.3 alpha even though it didn't work for me. I was encouraged by the improvements they had made to the UI. I'll probably keep supporting both until I feel one has pulled so far ahead of the other that I pin my colours to the mast. I do prefer the blue UI to the green UI.

All mindless drivel above, but it's gone a bit quiet around here.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 9:55am
Ifor, I had some 96kHz files in the playlist yesterday and didn't notice any issues. I may have a couple of 192kHz tracks so if I can find them I'll give them a whirl. Mind you 192 is totally OTT so I wouldn't be upset if these didn't play well. 

I was having a closer look at MPaD too, and have been quite impressed with the functionality - the search especially.  Connection to the RPi is always immediate, which after the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic (sic.) app is a blessed relief. The CA streamers will be on eBay as soon as my second RPi-Digi+ is up and running (ordered yesterday).

I've a question about SDHC cards. Runeaudio say a minimum of 4GB is needed and that faster cards give a more responsive performance. So I use 8Gb Class 10. Would bigger capacity, or faster cards give any benefits do you reckon?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:12am

I've a question about SDHC cards. Runeaudio say a minimum of 4GB is needed and that faster cards give a more responsive performance. So I use 8Gb Class 10. Would bigger capacity, or faster cards give any benefits do you reckon?

I've four SDHC cards. 3 x Transcend 8GB Class 10 and 1 x PNY 8 GB Class 4. I've not noticed any difference. I did have a card that I couldn't get to work, but I don't remember what it was.
If you find any 192 kHz tracks in your library I would be interested to know how they play. If they play OK I won't go out of my way to avoid them, but I won't be hunting them out.
This morning I've turned on album art in the Rune UI. I'm sort of expecting it to be an issue, but if it is I can happily do without it.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:01am
I can't find my 192kHz files, but you can download examples from here:

http://www.2l.no/hires/ - http://www.2l.no/hires/  

as well as 96kHz samples for comparison, and even DXD versions at 352.8kHz . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 5:40pm
Bob, regarding the "speed" of cards, there are some interesting comments on the Rune forum. whilst the higher class cards can read/write faster they are optimised for larger files and don't necessarily work any faster in the Pi with Rune as the file sizes aren't so large and some have observed better performance with smaller lower class cards.
See here: http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/sd-card-recommendation-t494.html#p3039 - http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/sd-card-recommendation-t494.html#p3039

I shall try my 3 different cards to see if there is any significant variation.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 9:12pm
Thanks for the link, Ian.

I guess all the while it works smoothly there's nothing to worry about.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 9:36pm
If it ain't broke........

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:05am

Though I do miss an Album view, that the search only partly makes up for (maybe in a later release?).

Apparently this is already being worked on and is scheduled for Rune v4.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:47pm
Rune has dropped out a couple of times this evening. I wonder whether my Ethernet over mains is to blame. It wouldn't be easy to wire it direct.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:52pm
Ethernet over power connections is sh*te at the best of times - I'd run wired wherever possible.
Mind you I would say that - I do that kind of thing for a living.
If I didn't live so far away from you I'd offer to help running cable ....

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Ethernet over power connections is sh*te at the best of times - I'd run wired wherever possible.
Mind you I would say that - I do that kind of thing for a living.
If I didn't live so far away from you I'd offer to help running cable ....

If you ever move let me know.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:19am
Well, we had a short power cut last night (not a sign of things to come I hope . . ) and though the Pi had rebooted there was no sound from the S/PDIF output even though the settings had been retained.

I tried rebooting, re-applying settings (then the MPD setup froze Angry - I trust this'll be high on the 0.4beta list of things to do!) to no avail.

Reformatted card, re-imaged it, set it up again. Connected ok but just got the spinner over the playback screen. Re-applied the power and it booted ok, with the settings - and sound - now working.

All in all a bit of a faff! The price of early adoption, eh? Ermm

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:04pm
A few weeks ago we had a power cut and I had to reformat my Volumio card.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:23pm
Must admit that after a promising start with V0.3Beta it all seems to be falling apart. Sources page doesn't load most of the time, my NAS is perpetually updating and everything is painfully slow. One can only take so much of the spinning wheel. On the forum there was comment that it could be related to the cache in Firefox, so I tried IE11 - even worse.
I think I shall take a few deep breaths, try a new image and see how it goes.
I have every sympathy for the developers in trying to get the new version to market as it were. The 0.3alpha is quite an impressive Interface with good functionality and ease of use, albeit no HiFiBerry Digi+ but through USB it works very well into the Majestic.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:52pm
I'm not having these problems with 0.4beta.  I've now flashed two cards with RA 0.4b and in a few minutes I'll have a second flashed with Volumio 1.5.  At least I'll be up and running again in no time if a card does get corrupted.  Apparently there is a fix for Volumio not working with MPDroid, and I assume MPaD, which I'll try shortly.

In the longterm I would like to go all the way with ethernet without having to using Homeplugs.  I've just to workout where to run the cable.  Hopefully it would stop the very occasional dropouts I get.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 2:08pm

I'm not having these problems with 0.4beta.

0.4beta?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 2:12pm
Reading the comments from Ifor, Bob & Ian, I commend them all for their persistence - a very interesting topic. It sounds like there is still a way to go before this becomes a totally viable replacement for my working Squeezebox Touch network, including the need to drill a brick external wall. One day maybe....

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
Andrew, as an existing Squeezebox user, the PiB+, HiFiBerry Digi+, Edimax USB WiFi and piCoreplayer combination might be a winner. Not sure whether you can or would need to control it from the touch or other Squeezebox controller.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 3:18pm

I'm not having these problems with 0.4beta.

0.4beta?

Oops! No, of course I mean 0.3 beta.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 4:23pm
ICL1P, you had me so excited with RA 0.4beta even though I new it was too soon!

I had planned to write up my experiences with the RPi as a Linux virgin. However, the mainboard of my main computer has died and I have already wasted a day checking other options. Luckily I have a board of the same vintage but is of a different make. So I will have to reinstall from scratch. I have backups of my data disk and a clone of the Windows OS. However, the latter is no real use with a different motherboard.

re:Raspberry Pi

Amazing device. I have a B and Berry Digi and a B+ and IQaudio DAC+ (the latter designed and made in Scotland, it says).
I have both working with Rune after I realised I had to install Logitech Media Server. It runs fine with the same card in both machines. I just select the appropriate driver in LMS.

However, the sound quality of both systems in Rune & Volumio is staggeringly good when they work. I had assumed I was doing something wrong when settings vanished, so it is nice to know it is just not me.

One great thing about the IQ DAC+ is that has a headphone out socket. The sound from that is great through a Solo ULDE and AKG 550 headphones and it also provides a monitor that sound is working..

However, the best quality sound, when it worked, was from the Digi output through an old DAC and amplifier. I'm sure with output into Majestic the sound would be, well, majestic. Either way these result in a larger system.

I wonder if there is an opportunity here for Graham. Maybe a small DAC and amplifier. DAC with coax and USB input.

I agree that we are a few months away from stable software. These authors do amazing work for very little reward and I hate to see them occasionally pilloried on the Vol & Rune forums.

I will write more when my main computer is functioning again - but don't hold your breath.

Marsh

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:41pm
Marsh,

Why the need for LMS?

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 8:27pm
Most of the problems I'm experiencing appear to be due to Firefox, Rune 0.3beta seems to work OK with IE. Curious as 0.3alpha worked fine with Firefox.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:09am
There are some starnge things going on. Late last night I set up Rune V0.3beta using IE11, all seemed to work, although screen changes were at times slow with lots of spinning wheels. Nevertheless all worked, NAS all loaded, "radio" stations available, USB sources identified. Sound was good quality, no stuttering up to 96khz. Impressive!
Out of curiosity I tried access via Firefox, now the GUI works perfectly, very fast changes between Library/source screens, Playback and Queue tabs, no spinning wheels, 2-3 secs max change time between settings, MPD screens. Marvellous!!
I suspect that ACX has made some changes, picked up through auto update.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 6:02pm
A big apology in my recent update on my progress with the Raspberry Pi software. In my second paragraph I erroneously stated success with Rune and Logitech Media Server. It should read success with Pi Core and Logitech.... All other references to Rune are correct.

Pi Core appears to be very stable and I can use the same card in both Hifiberry Digi and IQaudio DAC+ and you only need to chose the correct option on the web page configurator. Unfortunately the sound output,in my opinion, is not as good as from Volumio & Rune

Ifor, I think you can be forgiven for typing a digit incorrectly in a message, I don't think I can for getting a product name wrong. So it again looks like the 'naughty corner' for me tonight!

Ian, I'm glad you are having some success with Rune. Keep at it!
Is it a Digi or Digi+ you are using?

Just in case my question got buried in my last message.

Do members of this sub forum not believe there is an opportunity for Graham to tailor a sweet sounding small mid-priced DAC with coax or optical inputs? Maybe the market is just too small.

Marsh

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 6:06pm

Do members of this sub forum not believe there is an opportunity for Graham to tailor a sweet sounding small mid-priced DAC with coax or optical inputs? Maybe the market is just too small.

Marsh

There could indeed be, but for me I think it will become coupled with a Majestic, when I've found the best moment ...

... she really did like the Majestic, but there's the kitchen ...

-------------
Ifor
=====

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net