Forum Description: Because it's #AllAboutTheMusic
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2018
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 1:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Vinyl
Posted By: BAK
Subject: New Vinyl
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 9:32pm
https://www.facebook.com/TheAlanParsonsProject?ref=stream&hc_location=stream - The Alan Parsons Project
The vinyl version of the 35th Anniversary Legacy edition of I Robot is released next week. It is a Deluxe gatefold with 2 LPs and an 8 page booklet. It contains all 14 bonus tracks included in the CD version. Released by Music on Vinyl. Click here to pre-order and purchase copies (please note that copies are shipped from the US, for rest of world you may get better postage rates if you try ordering from a local on-line retailer)

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-alan-parsons-project.com%2Fstore%23vinyl%2Firobot35th&h=AAQE8jsVVAQEm3eLsMn-LYAwPlLaVtAPCXF2gq-QLsEkGaw&s=1 - http://www.the-alan-parsons-project.com/store#vinyl/irobot35th
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=583549141709329&set=a.134312789966302.26392.102421776488737&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf">
The vinyl version of the 35th Anniversary Legacy edition of I Robot is released next week. It is a Deluxe gatefold with 2 LPs and an 8 page booklet. It contains all 14 bonus tracks included in the CD version. Released by Music on Vinyl. Click here to pre-order and purchase copies (please note that copies are shipped from the US, for rest of world you may get better postage rates if you try ordering from a local on-line retailer)

http://www.the-alan-parsons-project.com/store#vinyl/irobot35th

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 11:49pm
I just bought Joe Bonamassa's "Driving towards the daylight" on vinyl. I thought it was a fine album on CD but this is a great cut that comes to life on vinyl.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:00am
I have a Classic Records 180gm issue of I Robot along with the remastered CD with the demo tracks etc. Am now thinking - can I justify this new issue? Confused

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I have a Classic Records 180gm issue of I Robot along with the remastered CD with the demo tracks etc. Am now thinking - can I justify this new issue? Confused

Thanks Bruce & Bob

It's a fabulous album & I only have the original vinyl which is getting a bit long in the tooth. I think I will get this - £24 on Amazon UK seems pretty good

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm
Does anyone listen to "Duran Duran" by Duran Duran (aka the Wedding Album)?
There are a some songs I like on it.
If you do have one of these on vinyl, could you tell me the record label and catalog # ?
I am searching to get a better copy from sellers on Amazon in the US.

This is what I found out so far; EMI with 9 tracks, or EMC #3372, or Capitol #ST-12158.
The cover has black & white photos of several wedding couples on it.

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:04pm
Hi all...
 I found that I can get only the Capitol #ST-12158 on new vinyl.
Available through Amazon.
I may get the James Bond 50th anniversary album on CD
and the "Duran Duran" by Duran Duran (aka the Wedding Album) on CD also.
I am not crazy about all of their songs, but I do enjoy:
"Ordinary World" and "Come Undone" and "View To A Kill".

-------------
Bruce

Posted By: Lucabeer
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:43pm
The Wedding Album is a fine album indeed, although a bit uneven. Check out their latest (All you need is now), which is a surprising return to form after 20 years of lacklustre efforts! But avoid the vinyl: I went through 3 copies, and they all sucked (surface noise and distortion due to hot mastering).

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:07am
Having bought Carole Kings Tapestry on 180gm and found there were audible scratches on both sides I returned this to the seller. The second one arrived and one side was fine but the other has one enormous scuff and across the first three tracks together with 2 other scuff/scratches. Not good for new vinyl from a reputable source.

As they were out of stock and to avoid return costs they said keep it.

I looked to reorder on line but had the choice - same again from elsewhere? I noticed some original master pressings and also double 45 pressing.

In the end I opted for the 45rpm pressing from original analogue tapes I believe it says.

First off the pressing was great and silent.

Sound? It was certainly superior dynamics clarity, width, depth, naturalness.

Was it worth the extra, almost certainly not in this case as I have concluded the underlying recording as suspected is pretty low fi, whilst vocals far better, they remained lacking clarity and bit hard at times and rolled off at top end. Maybe I should try another EQ on my Accession.

Would like to try a well recorded 45 albkum, just a case of which one!

Posted By: McHolmeM
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:57am
The price premium on 45 rpm 'audiophile' vinyl dictates cautious selection.

I have only one in my collection - the MFSL version of Billy Joel's The Stranger issued in 2013. This supplements the CBS copy I bought in 1977 which has stood the test of time very well.

To mitigate the cost of new vinyl I redeem Nectar points and convert them into vouchers to spend on eBay, there's plenty of reputable sellers listed and a wide choice of titles.  

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
My record (pun intended) with new vinyl has good of late, but that changed at Christmas.

I bought the Led Zeppelin at the BBC set, and record 2 of the set was dished.
It went back.

Pink Floyd's last, "The Endless River" had a pressing fault on side 1 of the 1st disc that was due to a piece of crud pressed into the groove.
Another gripe with this album is that it's a double LP set, with a single LP's worth of material. Why?
It too went back.

Alison Krauss & Unions Station's "Paper Airplane" was noticably warped.
I just put it back in its sleeve and packed it up for return shipping - it didn't even make it onto the TT platter.

Thankfully all the above were bought from the online company with the name of a South American River, and all returns were pre paid.

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Having bought Carole Kings Tapestry on 180gm and found there were audible scratches on both sides I returned this to the seller. The second one arrived and one side was fine but the other has one enormous scuff and across the first three tracks together with 2 other scuff/scratches. Not good for new vinyl from a reputable source.

As they were out of stock and to avoid return costs they said keep it.

I looked to reorder on line but had the choice - same again from elsewhere? I noticed some original master pressings and also double 45 pressing.

In the end I opted for the 45rpm pressing from original analogue tapes I believe it says.

First off the pressing was great and silent.

Sound? It was certainly superior dynamics clarity, width, depth, naturalness.

Was it worth the extra, almost certainly not in this case as I have concluded the underlying recording as suspected is pretty low fi, whilst vocals far better, they remained lacking clarity and bit hard at times and rolled off at top end. Maybe I should try another EQ on my Accession.

Would like to try a well recorded 45 albkum, just a case of which one!

Tapestry is a great record, but it's not the greatest of recordings.

Well recorded examples of the 2x45rpm LP?
High Masekela's "Hope"
Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue"
Weather Report's "Heavy Weather"
Jeff Buckley's "Grace"

They all sound wonderful - they all sound great on standard pressings, but the dynamics you can get from 45rpm cutting takes things to a higher level.
Sadly none of the above come cheap.

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 3:51pm
Elbow's vinyl is always 45rpm.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 1:58pm
I have just been listening to the 45rpm remastered Peter Gabriel Birdy soundtrack x2 LP and I must say that it (my copy?) is the quietest piece of vinyl I have yet purchased - no static, pops clicks or surface noise whatsoever. It is very well mastered too.

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 7:44am
check out the band. Half Japanese. Why Not, on Fire Records

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 8:15pm
Today I got on vinyl, Manic Street Preachers "The Ultra Vivid Lament" not a bad album but not one of their best it's a bit samey. I do like the band and have most of their albums but it's got to the point were like most bands-artists I like I prefer their earlier stuff.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 5:15pm
I was trying to start saving money from this month but just got a email from Bandcamp, Gabriella Cohen as a new album coming out just heard from Bandcamp website three of the tracks, I got to have it.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Shively65
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:50pm
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/84556/Counting_Crows-August_And_Everything_After-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record%20 - https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/84556/Counting_Crows-August_And_Everything_After-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

This Counting Crowes Album as a 45RPM is mind blowing good-cannot believe how great it sounds.  Well worth the cost.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 3:45pm
Today for some reason I just can't get into my music so I have been going through this forum, This week I picked up an original copy of Blondie "Parallel Lines" on vinyl second hand and compared it with the new copy I got a few years ago and the second hand copy all bit it in vary good condition sounded a lot better, I'm wondering weather the newer copy may have been digitally remastered in some way. Don't get me wrong the new copy sounds good but the original sounded better.

-------------

Posted By: Andy75
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 8:33pm
I was fortunate enough to stumble across a copy of the MoFi Miles Davis In a Silent Way at a bargain price. I’ve just finished spinning it now: it’s a flawless copy and sounds incredible. 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:33pm
Editors EBM
Just finished listening to it, It's not bad but not their best, for me that's "The Back Room" Maybe another album I'm going to have to listen to twice Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:49pm
The Back Room is very good and I like your generous second chance approach to albums. Have you got any Interpol albums btw?

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:00pm
I have found in the past not to dismiss an album on the first listen. Years ago I dug out an album I had, that I bought years before and on the 2nd listen I quit liked it. I don't want to make that mistake again.
No I haven't got any Interpol albums, I have heard of them but not got round to listening to their music, any recommendations?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:04pm
I respect the approach Jon. I would suggest Turn on the bright lights or Antics.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:10pm
Thanks Jon.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:18pm
I think you will recognise Joy Division and other British bands in Interpol's sound. I think that helps to make Turn on the bright lights appeal, hearing a band with influences that we share with them.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 7:49pm
Jon.
Yes I've heard that before about this band.
Just been listening to the Editors new album AGAIN and as I suspected it's growing on me.

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:28pm
Not a huge Interpol fan.

I thought Antics was their best album and never got into anything else. Especially on their first album, which seems to be the fan favorite, they sound heavily influenced by the Chameleons. Not the same caliber of band IMHO though.

My 2 cents.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 8:03pm
Splashed out this week and treated myself to a(n overpriced) copy of Black Sabbath on black and purple vinyl. I have some of the tracks on a CD compilation, but have never owned the album. A friend had bought the original Vertigo pressing when it was first released, but somehow I never did. Perhaps I was suffering from wallet dysfunction at the time, it was a long time ago - but better late than never!

Coincidentally this week I found a CD reissue of their 1975 album Sabotage in a charity shop, an album I'm unfamiliar with. I've only had one listen as yet, but wasn't bowled over, especially by the (IMHO) over-long and tedious Megalomania, but I won't judge it on just one play, I'll be having another listen over the weekend.

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 9:41am
Give Sabotage a few listens.
When I first heard it - arguably their last great album - back in around 1980 or so , it took a
few listens to get but eventually it hit home - in a big way & I still love it.
For a 1975 album it has immense power and attack with Osbourne at his best. 
Sabbath were never too keen on the 'Heavy Metal' label but - arguably again - little recorded
since in this genre betters this 47 year old release. 

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 7:40am

-------------

Posted By: TheScorpionsTale
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Give Sabotage a few listens.
When I first heard it - arguably their last great album - back in around 1980 or so , it took a
few listens to get but eventually it hit home - in a big way & I still love it.
For a 1975 album it has immense power and attack with Osbourne at his best. 
Sabbath were never too keen on the 'Heavy Metal' label but - arguably again - little recorded
since in this genre betters this 47 year old release. 

Thanks Rich, I'll certainly give it more time, just looking for the chance to do some serious listening, the last few days have been overtaken by events!

-------------
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Is it anything like their classics, I'm talking 80s stuff

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:13am
The Tipping Point is nearly up there with TFF's 80's albums. It's much better than their previous 
album from 2004 - Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, which we all thought was going to be their last.

-------------

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:50pm
I agree that Tipping Point is a very good TFF album musically. One thing I don't like about is the compressed production and mastering. The CD mastering is compressed with an inch of its life. The downmix from the Blu-Ray version is a bit more dynamic, but I can still guess that a lot of compression was used during the recording process.

I passed on the vinyl version of the album because there were pressing problems with the copies distributed in the U.S. and I didn't think it would sound much better than the CD.

Never heard "Everyone Loves" - I should probably pick up a copy at some point. Recently I have been listening to Seeds of Love and Elemental a bit. Not my favorites from the band but they have their moments.

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
The reason I asked is, I have or more to the point had music by bands I like and their latest is to me (IMO) has been bad or too samey, Bands like Simple Minds, Greenday and Levellers. Take Levellers as a case in point, The last album I bought by them I ended up thinking that I already had this album (samey) so I went and check to see if I had it and double checked I was that certain and I hadn't, after that I never bought any more of their albums. I'll have to check out TFF's new album on youtube or their website to see (listen) for myself before spending my money. I have been doing this a lot lately and it as saved me money.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net