Print Page | Close Window

What prompted you to buy a GSP product?

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Find what you're looking for here!
Forum Name: Buying a headphone amp, phono preamp or hi-fi accessory?
Forum Description: Find what you're looking for here! Links to our websites and more...
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1985
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What prompted you to buy a GSP product?
Posted By: morris_minor
Subject: What prompted you to buy a GSP product?
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm
You can vote multiple times in this poll as you may have bought your Graham Slee product after doing more than one of the above, and you maybe have a different response if you have more than one item.

The Poll software only allows 5 choices, so if you bought after reading a review could you post here saying if the review was in print or online, or was a user review from this forum, please?

Also post here if the choices don't cover your experience - any influences on your purchase decisions you care to share would be most welcome.

Many thanks! Thumbs Up

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Replies:
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm
I've started the  ball rolling . . 

My first piece of GSP kit was the Era Gold V bought on the strength of online reviews.

Other pieces were a result of the forum loan scheme, and GSP's reputation.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:32pm
It was an online review for the Grado GS1000i in which the Solo used was highly praised as well. It got me intrigued so I did some light research before deciding to take the great chance of purchasing it without having heard it beforehand. It turned out to be a great buy indeed and later led to the purchases of CuSat 50's, a Reflex M and Spatia cables and links. Now I'm hoping to get a pair of Proprii next.

-------------
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:44pm
On line comments/reviews pointed me toward the forum, which in turn led to a home loan.  Resistance is futile!

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:43pm
I had become aware of GSP over a couple of years via various reviews, audio forums and dealer comments, never actively looking to purchase anything but the impression was always positive

When I replaced my turntable in early 2012, the dealer encouraged me to buy another brand of phono stage and I also asked to audition a Gram-Amp 2SE because he lists GSP products as part of his range and I wanted to see for myself

He obtained a trial sample (in a deeper plastic case I recall, not as shown on the current GSP website) but gave no advice about burn-in etc. I had it for 4 or 5 days

My method of audition was to play for a few hours through one phono stage, then the same albums with the other. However, I used a single wall socket (the only one free), therefore always listening to each 'cold'. As a result, I chose the other brand because the 2SE sounded thin and quite brittle even though the dynamics and musicality were clearly there. I really wanted to like it but I did not know that I should allow a few days for it to settle

Later on in 2012, after replacing other elements of my system, vinyl was sounding inferior to the digital sources and I was restless. I happened to see a second hand Reflex for sale at a really good price and had already discovered (by stumbling on this forum) that the phono stage should have been powered up continuously so I took a chance

Probably because this was pre-owned, it sounded pretty good from the start and after a few days, really great. Suffice to say that I have subsequently arranged to upgrade this to the latest Reflex-M spec. I have also used the loan scheme to audition and purchase cables for my complete system

It's a real pity when a dealer does not understand or educate customers properly about the need to listen over an extended period - I wonder how many others have had a brief audition and failed to realise just how special this equipment is?

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:39pm

Looking for reviews of a pair of speakers on that auction site led me to discover tnt-audio and their style and non-commercial approach impressed me enough to read more on their site.

Having resurrected my old Sansui turntable and already discovered the delights of better cartridges I was unknowingly on a path to serious investment in audio.  Being still in frugal mode at that time, I did try one of their recommendations for a cheapie phono stage that they endorsed and was suitably impressed when that bettered the built-in stage of my then NAD 7225 receiver.

I then purchased a fairly new P2 with a nice DV 10x5 cartridge and the seeds of penury were well sown.  I enquired of the former owner what phono stage he had been using and he kindly loaned me the DV-P75 that he had been using.  The price was a little disturbing, but it did nice things for the DV cartridge but was not as impressive with the DL-110 that I paradoxically preferred.

I knew then that I would need to spend around that amount at least to obtain the betterment that I sought.  My candidates narrowed down to Trichord, Lehmann & GSP.

None were available for audition here and even dealers for the former 2 were difficult to track down.

I then read Geoff Husbands review on tnt-audio and noted both his outstanding evaluation of the Era Gold V/Exp combination and also gathered something of the determination of the man behind them who seemed to keep trying until he came up with something very special.  I read something of Geoffs conversations with Graham and learnt more both about his attitudes and the need for constant power on.  I was to learn more of the reasoning behind this later from other sources and my own and others experiences with various other equipment which also benefits in like manner.

By then quite enthusiastic about the prospect of trying the Era Gold V and having steeled myself for the cost, I discovered that the Australian dealer, decibelhifi in Brisbane, offered 14 days free return, my fate was sealed. Wink   I ordered and paid for it and when it arrived, I found it did all that the DV stage did for the DV cartridge and more and that it also did as much for the Denon.

There was never any risk that it would go back.

It would be fair to say that the 3 factors in my decision were, in reverse order, the availablity of a fairly risk free trial, an outstanding review (seconded by one M. Fremer of some note) and the very positive impression of the designer that I had gained.

Subsequently I have upgraded to the Reflex when it came out, then added the Exp and now the Revelation, of which I may have more to say when it is fully developed and I have opportunity to put it through its paces.  I have also added a Solo and various cables and built a Genera, all of which have proved my faith in our hosts ability to use both his knowledge and his ears to achieve exceedingly gratifying results.

I have been known to loan the EGV out after I obtained the Reflex, with the effect of adding more happy users to the family, although, unlike Bob, I did eventually let it go to a new home.

I would echo your closing sentiments Andrew, at least our nearly sole dealer out here is prepared to offer the 14 day return to allow folk to trial at leisure.  Hopefully he will continue to prosper.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 6:06pm
A couple of months ago i decided i needed a new headphone amplifier, the one i had was finding it hard to drive the (higher impedence)new sennheisers.I started to do some research.
A look through the Buyers Guide at the back of What HiFi to see what was available and what was worth putting on a short list,anyway narrowed my choice down to two,and both were expensive £600+but what the hell i wanted quality One was made by somebody called Graham Slee and produced right here in YORKSHIRE the other somewhere down south, unfortunately the local dealer here in LEEDS doesnt stock either allthough he stocks the electronica made by the other company.So lets see if we can find some reviews.Googling headphone amplifiers brought up a host of web sites and reviews were read but the only ones i could find were for Graham Slees products I also managed to find some reviews on a certain site that are buyer reviews and all except one were quite positive.
the negative one was from somebody who thought the Nova he had purchased sounded worse than the headphone out on his integrated amp and to ignore the 200hrs burn in time and send the HP amp straight back(and yes i can see the 2 obvious flaws in that argument)anyway i dismissed him as an anal orifice although he did nearly put me of my purchase. By this time i had also found Graham Slees website and read some good things about their products but then i would would i not?
Anyway a couple of weeks of deliberating (£600+ could turn out to be a bloody expensive mistake)
and there was still no sign of a local supplier)i logged on to the GSP website and hit the button to buy
Eleven days later a parcel arrived on my doorstep and my ears told me i had not made a mistake
it was one of the best HiFi (in the true meaning of HiFi)purchases i had ever made
So a happy ending and who doesn't like happy endings and there is my story of how i got where i am now.

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:25pm
After obsessively researching the HD600 and HD650 last year, I encountered the Solo headphone amplifier being sold as a bundle with the HD650 on Ebay. So I searched for Graham Slee, found the site, did some reading then sent an email to GSPAudio about whether the ULDE would get the most out of the HD600 I had bought. Graham swiftly got back to me with a very comprehensive, honest and lengthy reply and gave a passing mention of his thoughts on the HD600, saying that his "preference was for the HD250" Shocked. I was curious about this statement so I decided to hunt down a HD250, especially when he said that the HD250 and HD800 were "very close"! When I finally did get one in my hands, I first felt that the HD250 and HD600 were both great (roughly equivalent). But after using the HD250 for a while and buying new earpads, I discovered that the HD250 was indeed superior. With this realisation, I knew that Graham must be the "real deal" that I had been searching for. And now... he is stuck with me... Embarrassed

Poor sod... LOL

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:31pm
Several years ago I wanted to have a louder headphone option for late night listening and did some research where I saw a What Hi-Fi review of the Novo headphone amp and found there was a DAK version I could build. One of my best purchases and an easy build which opened my ears to high quality music. It was the start of the GSP experience for me. Next I bought the first DAK Genera kit... if you've read my posts you know the rest.

At the risk of being crude GSP is 0% of the B/S and 100% of the music.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

He obtained a trial sample (in a deeper plastic case I recall, not as shown on the current GSP website) but gave no advice about burn-in etc. I had it for 4 or 5 days.

The dealer should never have been sent a 9 year old version of the product and the distributor responsible no longer distributes our products in the UK (this was not the first problem of this kind  we had).

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: Fredric
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm
I was constantly researching online for my best options after getting a good deal on a pair of Denon 7100. At the end, the mix of positive reviews (cant remember were anymore) and the personal presence of the founder himself, Graham, was what swayed me into getting a Slee headphone amp. I had never heard of GS audio before starting my headphone amp research (I reside in Norway).

I had already decided on buying it when I was confronted with getting a free trial (the loan program on the forums here), so I went for the free trial first. At the end I was honoured with having the option of donating the cost of the amp to a charitable organisation. So all in all one of the best shopping experiences I have ever had.

You should add "Eccentric owner" to the poll options :P or at least something like "Supporting personal handcraft/produce". If this was "Insert big brand here" and "made by low payed human robots in" "insert poor country here" I would probably never had bought this, even though price and product would have been the same. (I'm not saying the product is not worth the money, because the product (Solo UL) is probably best in class)

Posted By: hotmog
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:04pm
I had a pair of HD650s that I'd bought secondhand on eBay. They were powered from the headphone socket of my Arcam Alpha 9 amp. However I wasn't happy with the sound quality, which was lacking detail and bass depth. Based on the HD650's reviews, I thought they must be capable of more, so I started looking at alternative cables as a way to achieve this. At the time I never knew that such things as dedicated headphone amps even existed, and naively thought that a cable upgrade was the only option available.

However my Google searches soon educated me otherwise and led me inexorably to Graham Slee's excellent website. Soon after, I found a Solo + PSU1 for a bargain price on Gumtree, and had it upgraded it to a U/L within a month. I also got a Voyager for my travels, and through this forum discovered the superb HD250 which now accompanies it wherever I go.

Google is your friend, Graham! Thumbs Up

-------------
http://www.victorian-breweriana.uk - Hotmog's Victorian Breweriana

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 11:00am
Got my Gram Amp 2se after lots of lots of research (almost bought a German one) on the internet. Can't remember where I came across Slee but did find a couple of reviews that pointed to a sound more preferable to my previous first choice.

I them came across Graham's Green Solo pilot scheme and not being sure about cans i thought this was worth a punt. It was and I a have upgraded to a ULDE this year.

Through the green solo program I came across the green Reflex scheme and the thought of a cheaper intro to the higher end was something I was definitely interested in. Again I have upgraded to ULDE.

The only issue I had with those early Greens was the early smps (no chirping now) so those have been banished with the arrival of two PSU1's.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 10:51pm
Remembered now I first came across the name Slee in a 3 way review of phono stages, just can't remember we which magazine.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Posted By: globeschmidts
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 1:57am
I just have received my Gram Amp 2SE two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I'm back into vinyl after a decade of abstinence. What a way to get back in to this great hobby.
After a lot of reading through forums and reviews I decided to get my Graham Slee preamp. I checked but could't find a dealership here in Houston. So went ahaed and ordered online to give it a try. Great choice. It's staying for good.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 11:02am
Welcome to the forum, Michael.

It's great you're enjoying the GA2SE and rediscovering your vinyl!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Cyreg
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 12:53pm
I voted for a dealers demonstration, here's why....

In 2006 I bought a new Era Gold V with than available lineair wallwart.
Went from CyrusIII(with phono) to Cyrus 8VS(no phono).
Read some good reviews and made appointment for listeningsession on the Gramamp2 and SE versions.
That was at the then dealer/importer here in Holland.
And.....I came out with the EGV, which sounded much better at that time than the 2SE (different beast now).

Later added a PSU1 and later still a 2007 model Solo (info from RockGrotto;remember Graham?) and later on more different models of phonoamps and headphoneamps......

-------------
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   

Posted By: RedCloudFuneral
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:09pm
None of the above. Fate. Smile I was looking for a phono-amp under $350 and had just about settled on the Gram Amp 2, when a 2SE and PSU1 came up on Audiogon right in my price range. I really don't know why I settled on a GS phono-amp in the first place, I just went with my intuition.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by RedCloudFuneral RedCloudFuneral wrote:

None of the above. Fate. Smile I was looking for a phono-amp under $350 and had just about settled on the Gram Amp 2, when a 2SE and PSU1 came up on Audiogon right in my price range. I really don't know why I settled on a GS phono-amp in the first place, I just went with my intuition.

The hand of Fate was guiding you wisely .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:31pm
Looks like it's the age of the passive dealer? Only 9% bought after a dealer demo.

If a man has good corn or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell, or can make better chairs or knives, crucibles, church organs, phono stages, headphone amps, interconnects, monoblocks, a USB DAC, than anybody else, you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house, though it be in the woods.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson

The problem being that if people haven't been told then they won't know.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:36pm
Maybe it's time for the GSP MSA Roadshow.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Agreed, but not MSA's because they're into private parking fines...

"...a diabetic motorist who was concerned about his blood sugar levels was hit with a fine for spending more than two hours in a motorway service area."

( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10350681/AA-warns-of-surge-in-private-parking-fines.html - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10350681/AA-warns-of-surge-in-private-parking-fines.html )

I'd rather pay smaller private hotels for a function room.

I have a problem driving for more than 3 hours when my right hip goes into incredible pain - old age happening early, but as soon as I can escape the design and development mode, I'm very tempted to get it under way.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Agreed, but not MSA's because they're into private parking fines...

Good point!
What would you do for partnering equipment, or would you consider linking up with a couple of other Brit Cos?

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: oldagetraveller
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 7:31am
On private land it is NOT a "fine" but a speculative invoice.
Fines are only issued by courts and local councils.

-------------
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 2:07pm
An intimidating speculative invoice with a corporate legal department behind it. The word is that people are pressured into paying up. I don't want to put my prospective customers, friends and existing customers through their torture.

-------------

Posted By: kwmac
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 2:52pm
Just thought I would give a late shout out for my local GSP dealer who was instrumental in my purchase of a Voyager and ULDE. As I have an existing “big DAC” from another maker, he will again be instrumental in auditioning the new ‘Big DAC’ which will hopefully lead to purchase.
He is generally very supportive of GSP kit for its sound quality and relative value proposition. I do not have need for a Bitzie at present, but he really talked it up as a very slick little device last time I was in for a visit. 

Steve

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:15pm
It's great to know there are some supportive dealers around, Steve!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 7:19pm
Great dealer Steve! You can tell him I said so on your next visit. I don't know who he is mind you...

-------------

Posted By: nils1953
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 11:06pm
I have just very recently ordered a Reflex M with the PSU after "significant amount off revew and forum reading. What finally tipped me in the GSP direction, I believe, was the direct communication with Graham and the direct comments I received. I had seriously considered two other alternatvis ( one German and one Swedish) when the honesty and straightforwardness of Graham' feed-back, together with the drive towards a warmer more analog or valve sounding sound, made me decide.
I will receive the kit mid January and am really looking forward to that. I have now also decided that I woul like to try the GSP interconnects based on the positive comments I have read. I will have to buy them to try them as I live in Norway, but if they are half as good as it "sounds" (prdon the pun), it will save me from the enthusiastic salesman trying to upgrade my American cables here in Norway...and at the same time save a not insignificant sum of money that can rather go towards a pick-up upgrade. I have Rega RP 40 with the standard Elys 40 and am considering upgrading to either the Rega Exact or, probably the Ortofon 2M Black...the latter which I know Graham is testing and liking. Anyone else with experience from these cartridges? My set-up is otherwise Hegel and System Audio and sounding quite good, but I miss a little bit of the old natural flow of sound which is why I look to GSP.

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 11:28am
I read a review of the product, found the forum and saw how happy people were about the products. I also notice how widely the headphone amps get used for demonstrations at HiFi shows.
I have tried them in my system and they work well. I am keeping mine.

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by nils1953 nils1953 wrote:

I have Rega RP 40 with the standard Elys 40 and am considering upgrading to either the Rega Exact or, probably the Ortofon 2M Black...the latter which I know Graham is testing and liking. Anyone else with experience from these cartridges? 
I use the 2M Black on a Rega RP6 with Reflex M and Lautus/Spatia cable throughout the system. I auditioned the 2M against an Exact when I purchased the TT and the Exact sounded dull and lifeless by comparison. I also like a replaceable/interchangeable stylus, using a lower cost 'Blue' for less serious listening. Rega MM styli are integral to the cartridge

The 2Ms are considered 'neutral' and I agree with this - when fitted to my Rega TT the sound is lively and punchy (as I like it), not coloured at all. It seems completely natural to me - like a smoother digital sound if that makes sense. If you are looking for a 'warm' vinyl sound then this may not be ideal though

The GSP cables are fantastic value for money and had a significant and positive impact on my system - as did the Reflex M

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 11:04am
My journey with GSP started a few years back when I was looking for a decent In Ear Monitor (IEM) to use instead of the ones supplied with my then new iPod Classic.

I found a review for Shure IEMs where the reviewer had paired them with a GSP Voyager. I was also ignorant at that time about the existence of things like headphone amps, so was quite intrigued. The review was extremely positive about both products, so I sought out GSP on Google.

It was Graham's obvious integrity and honest commercial values, which chime with my own set of values, that persuaded me to buy the Voyager. I also bought the Shure IEMs and have never regretted the purchase of either product.

Since then I have purchased a Revelation, Novo, Proprius and cables. I currently have a preorder for the Big DAC, which is eagerly awaited. One day I hope to be able to purchase a Solo ULDE.

When it comes to advertising GSP products I believe that Graham's obvious honesty, integrity, depth of knowledge and experience is the best advertisement the company could have!

Regards
Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Posted By: sumertelse
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:42pm
I found out about GSP through various online reviews. I've just ordered my first bit of kit today, Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition. Can't wait:)

So the glowing reviews & the fact that GSP is a local company to me is what made my choice.

-------------
Wayne

Posted By: kirschv
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 7:47am
My first and up to now only GSP diamond is a Solo headamp with Green Power supply.

I was looking for a new and better headamp while the Project Headbox sounded a little like feet fallen into sleep Smile 

I made the choice because of a recommendation of a German distributor from Berlin who offered me the Solo as an alternative to a Rega product. I trusted his remarks, and the result is brilliant. What a superb sound is coming out of this little box Clap

And it´s much better as the phone-out of the Naim´s Supernait which I can listen to at the moment. But this is another story....

In the meantime I got some more GSP impressions through a cable testing as part of the Europe loaner programme. And a Reflex M is the next thing on my wishlist.

-------------
Volker

Posted By: slinger
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:09pm
I needed an entry level phono-preamp and the gram Amp 2 Communicator fit the bill to a tee, getting excellent reviews everywhere in the "most-bang-for-your-buck" category.  I also got the chance to pick up a Novo headphone amp second hand for two hundred quid.  It was in perfect condition and still boxed, so that was just a no-brainer. Big smile

-------------
Paul
----------
SYSTEM - Black Boxes, Silver Boxes, Wire, and some rather pretty Wooden boxes.

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by kirschv kirschv wrote:

My first and up to now only GSP diamond is a Solo headamp with Green Power supply.

Can I recommend that when funds allow you upgrade the power supply to the psu1 this will give a further upgrade in sound over the green power supply.

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Posted By: TWM
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 1:58am
I bought the Graham Amp 2SE based upon the recommendation of a dealer, Mr. Galen Carol of San Antonio, Texas, to use with my RP6.

I've been extremely happy with it, and am just about ready to upgrade my interconnects with another purchase from Graham.

Posted By: Martin1
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 2:14pm
Hi TWM
Way to go,more hours of happy listening,keep up the good work ,and welcome from one newby to another.
Martin (aka Martin 1 )

-------------
Novo Solo SRGII PSU1 Cusat 50 Senn:250 Senn: 540II & Big Wish List

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:41am
I auditioned an Era Gold V and was impressed enough to hang the expense and buy a Reflex M. I subsequently accessed the Australian loan scheme for a pair of Proprii, which made a deep impression on me. While saving for a pair my circumstances changed and I was in need of a DAC instead. After reading every word of every post about the Majestic I took the plunge. Now I just have to find the cash for those Proprii...
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Wuss
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:55am
My Novo headphone amp was recommended by Paul at the best Hi-Fi store in Falkirk Scotland. I can honestly say I'm well impressed and as I'm still in the burn in stage it just gets better and better. Clap 

-------------
Jack

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 1:30pm
Must admit it was the good review of the Era Gold in HiFi News in 2004 & a similarly
enthusiastic online review at TNT Audio (which went into some detail of the unit's development
& the painstaking care taken!) which prompted an Era Gold V buy.
I was never very happy with the slightly vague sound of the EAR valve unit I had before & the
Era Gold was much more the sound I was after.
Moved on to a Reflex M a few years later for even better sound.
Never looked backSmile.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:41pm
That was my path into Era Gold V ownership too, Rich. I was coming from a phono stage in an Audiolab 8000A. The EGV is still doing the business in my living room system . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: robbiec
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 1:45pm
I was researching an upgrade to my Turntable and found Graham Slee almost by accident. A bit of research and I ordered a Genera, and am now in process of starting to build a complete Slee Amp / Dac setup which will probably take me a few years :-) Transparency of design goals, being able to have a chat with John before ordering, the ability to start with a kit and learn more about amplification in a day than you would in a year with a pre configured unit, this forum. All standout reasons for me to buy into the GSP club.  

-------------
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia

Posted By: marshmid
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 2:38pm
Welcome to the club, Robbie.

There is wealth of expertise and down-to earth-knowledge in this site. Of course knowledge can be a dangerous thing and you may end up spending too much time reading and ultimately too much time spending money!

However, you will be in good company.

Marsh

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 8:37pm
A warm welcome from me too.
My GSP adventure started with a Fanfare phono amp, then the Genera, both quite brilliant in their ability to make music.
But as Marsh says, beware, it can all be addictive. Nonetheless I am proud to be the owner of a Majestic DAC, Reflex M and Solo ULDE. I've now stopped worrying about the upgrade disease and my enjoyment of music is now at an all time high. After all the music is what it should all be about.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:01am
Thank you for joining our community Robbie. I started with a DAK Novo kit from GSP, and then the DAK Genera when it came out. I agree about the pleasure and knowledge these kits bring, and they sound great.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:03am
Thanks for the welcomes and warnings . My plan is this:
DAK Genera
DAK Novo
Then a PSU1 driving both
Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A Kit
Link them altogether with Cu50 and Spatia cabling then wait patiently for about 6 months while they all bed in and settle down. Sources will be my old Debut III with 2M Red and my Jolla mobile which has about 50 flac albums.
Only problems I see going forward is my lack of experience with a soldering iron and my old Cambridge Audio A5 which is quite old and won't be in the same class as everything else. Then again, a couple of Propri make a good long term goal.

-------------

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:16am
Have you seen that Ash has a pair of kit LS3/5as for sale?
See: http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20141115111452&KW=LS3 - http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20141115111452&KW=LS3

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:34am
Good call Ian. Yeah, I have a pair of Stirling Broadcast Kit LS3/5A for sale. They've been sat in their box for weeks now. They've been up on ebay for quite a while but the only response I received for them was from a guy in America wanting to buy them, and I'm not shipping them all the way out there.

I'll show you the listing. They look new and sound really good; I just prefer my K1000, that's all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Replacement-LS3-5a-Kit-Loudspeaker-Pair-ready-to-use-/111500993511

Personal collection from Weymouth but if you help me to organise shipping, I could maybe ship to Ireland... Not that familiar with posting large items so I'd need a bit of help.

As long as I end up with at least £400 overall for the pair, I'm happy.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 6:36pm
They look lovely Ash, tempting, very tempting. I want to build a set myself though. Today is an anniversary of sorts for me, 21 years ago today, I built my first PC and it led me to a career in IT. I find it difficult to learn by theory, more of a break it,fix it type :-) and that will be my process for my audio journey.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 6:47pm
Okay, no worries. The option is there if needed. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Sturgus
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 1:09am
I bought my Era-Gold and Elevator after hearing the Jazz Club / Elevator at a friend's house. It was a very nice combo.
Sturgus

-------------
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:55am
Hi, I bought my Reflex M with the PSU 1 plus Lautus phono and Spatia loudspeaker cables based on reviews and info from this forum. I have not regretted it a second...even if the new Accession upsets me as one always wants "the best available"....but can't always afford to upgrade as and when the upgrading-itch sets in. Have been considering the Elevator, but that expense must then be coupled to a MC representing a clear upgrade from the 2M Black...and that will cost a penny or two as well...maybe better to test out a very good offer on a Cartridgeman Music Maker Classic. Anyone with experience from that cartridge? I read that the cartridge was indeed developed using a Reflex M...is that correct?
Based on my very satisfactory experience with the Reflex, I have also  purchased a Bitzie set with the Lautus USB cable and, a Solo ULDE also with cables to connect.
Again very satisfactory, but I found that I was not a headphone-man and have sold the headphones and the Solo..but kept the Bitzie just in case...
The Bitzie works wonderfully with the iPhone 6 I have.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:02am
Hi Nils,
The Musicmaker can be a tad fussy about the arm it is used with & also record condition.
It is smooth sounding, detailed & dynamic - especially if it is well matched.
What's your turntable & arm?

GSP stages are strong recommendations of the Musicmaker's designer.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
Hi and thanks Rich,
I have an Avid Diva 2 SP with an SME 309 arm.
Do you have any experience from this combo with the Classic?

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:41am
Hi Nils,
I haven't used the Classic with your combo but the 309 is a high quality design & should
match the MM's requirement for arm with less than 13g effective mass.
It would be well worth contacting Len Gregory however who I'm sure will give you honest
& sound advice on compatibility.
I've used the Classic with a Roksan Artemiz, a Rega 301, Rega 1000 & AudioMods Classic.
The basic Regas are not the best match as the bearings are not of good enough quality
but the others were good - particularly the AudioMods.

-------------

Posted By: latinaudio
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:40pm
Hi.
After 3 years belonging to this forum, I bought 4 days ago a Reflex M with green power supply.
Living in South America, I had no choice: reviews were the only way to know a little about the Reflex or any phono stage.
There is a very influential person and analog guru in America: Mr. Michael Fremer, of analogplanet.com and Stereophile magazine. He has wrote capsules reviews of the Grand Amp, Era Gold and Reflex, always with great accolades.
I contacted him for advice, sending a brief description of my hifi rig, and the answer was... go for the Graham! Comparisons at the time were: Musical Fidelity M1ViNL, Rega Aria, Lehmann Audio Black Cube SEII...
The other reason was the incredible info and friendship I received from this forum, letting me understand many cues of the product and the almost unanimous satisfaction for the brand.
I´m waiting for my Reflex to arrive, so I have no more comments now, but I´ll do a review ASAP.
For now... thanksClap, Graham!!

-------------
"Music nourishes the spirit"

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 8:21am
Originally posted by latinaudio latinaudio wrote:

... go for the Graham! 
Thumbs Up I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by latinaudio latinaudio wrote:

... go for the Graham! 
Thumbs Up I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

+1

You're in for an aural treat.

-------------

Posted By: Eric
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 6:59pm
I was looking for a new and better phono preamp and ended up at GSP home page. After that I read some reviews and decided to give it a chance. i found a used Elevator EXP and bought it. With the Elevator the sound was much better then with med my SUT. 

Right now I´m testing Accession and Reflex M and have problem to decide which one to buy. Accessions have som extra functions, but I'm not sure that I will use them. Any suggestions?

I also testing GSP Spatia speaker cables. I like them a lot.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm
Hej Eric, If you don't need the Accession functions, then treat them as equal & my suggestion is to let your ears decide Yin Yang

I use and enjoy both these phono stages. In fact, this week I have listened mostly via the Reflex M in spite of a slight preference for the Accession.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Eric
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:07pm
I have to make some extra listening och testing during the weekend as I have to send them back next week (loan).

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 1:58am
Hi Eric,
if you collect Classical or Jazz and might buy older pressings of particular performances, then the extra equalisations of the Accession might be of use.  
If you wish to digitise your records then the variable output of the Accession might be of use.  
The mono switch is also available on the Reflex M if requested at time of order.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: Ernie
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:37pm
Hi All,
I hadn't had my turntable running after a house move and my preamp didn't have a phono input. I read a few reviews and bought an Era V on spec. Wow! I didn't remember my aging lp12 ever sounding that good!

Sort of got the bug then and wondered what the Proprius power amps sounded like and promptly loaned a pair. Completely blown away by the shear clarity, voices hanging in the air in front of me, the realism of plucked strings and struck drums. So I bought a pair and a Majestic too even though I'd never heard one and cabled them all together with GSP cables.

Just bought an Accession can't wait for it to arrive!

So mixture of review and loan for me. The biggest draw for me was the engineering though. As an electrical engineer myself Graham and team's no nonsense approach to good engineering practice was the thing that really got me hooked.

-------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:58pm
Agreed, Ernie,
    I started out through the loan scheme and there followed a Reflex M. After that I borrowed the Proprius pair and subsequently purchased them. I bought the Majestic without audition and I love it. I was exposed to the cables through the loan scheme, as well. Elevator EXP was ordered this week.
Happy times.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:42pm
Topic reset after member posted in wrong area

-------------

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:12pm
I first got interested in Graham Slee phono when Michael Fremer posted on Analog Planet some sound clips who weren't identified. Each sound clip was a recording of a phono stage. The Era gold from Graham was one of my favorite. After that, I loaned a Reflex M. It was fantastic...I the called a dealer to get an Accession and I never looked back!!! 

-------------
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse

Posted By: DeadWax
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:55pm
I bought my first GSP product (Novo) when I was first setting up my system purely based on the general feeling I got from reviews of many different products, not necessarily from the reviews of the Novo. Reviews of the Novo itself were good however it was the overall positive sense I got from other reviews which made me feel that I could trust in Graham's products.
Some years later I loaned a Reflex and was blown away by what I was hearing. Unfortunately this did not lead to a purchase due to a sudden change in living arrangements, however thoughts of it have nibbled away at me ever since. We are now a few years on and the Accession has since launched... it is this beauty that now occupies my thoughts Big smile

-------------
Andy R
Lincoln, UK

Posted By: musicdude
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:21pm
I got introduced in 2004 to GSP products when I needed a phono preamp because my new amplifier had no onboard phono pre. By reading reviews I decided to get the Gram Amp 2SE. I was very much satisfied with it until I upgraded to the Reflex M.....  Big smile

-------------
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:41pm
I voted for "home trial". Nothing is better than trying a piece of equipment in your home, in your system, with your ears. Reviews can be useful in narrowing the field of choices or illuminating a product one might not have considered but they can only tell me so much. The home trial was what made me want to buy a Reflex M. My unit is on order now and I'm excited to get it! The loaner program is great - I wish other manufacturers would do something similar. 

Posted By: SnrDidcot
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 8:38pm
Rather oddly I came to Graham Slee products via Facebook. I posted my then current set-up to a Facebook group I'm a member of asking for advice on potential future upgrades. When it came to the phono amp a large recommendations were for Graham Slee. And to cut a long story short , that's how I'm now here.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:20am
I remember reading an early Hi-Fi+ feature comparing phono preamps that had variable EQ. The Slee was by far the cheapest (less than half, maybe?), but competed well against the exotica. I be,Eve the final summation was that for real world price and performance, you’d be more than happy to live with the Slee.

-------------

Posted By: nemu
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:52am
I got interested in the Accession MM reading in the Internet, searching for an affordabel phono preamp for second smaller hifi-system. Using this fine preamp now for over two and half years, in very distinct setups, I noticed that I very often prefer the Accession MM against much more expensive opponents. Congratulations Graham to develop and build such a fine piece of equipment.

Yesterday I orderd an Accession MC/Enigma.  I am very curious whether it will meet my high expactations I have from listening to the Accession MM.

Best wishes
Stephan

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
The Accession MM is a bit of a bargain Stephan & it seems to gathering quite a following
of admirers.
The Acc MC is unlikely to disappoint.Smile
Enjoy your music.

-------------

Posted By: WigglyWoo
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:45pm
I really can't remember how I first came across GSP...

But the first product I bought was the Solo back in the days when I had a Rega Ear at work and was mostly listening via headphones at home due to a young family and inquisitive fingers!.

I subsequently upgraded my Solo to the ULDE spec...

And then when I got back into vinyl (don't judge!) I tried the Reflex M via the loaner programme and immediately bought one to replace my Rega Fono.

With the family now grown/growing up am upgrading my TT (and getting a proper HiFi again) and looking to step-up to the Accession MC+Enigma...

GSP is a brand I'm very loyal to and trust ... as an engineer, I appreciate Graham's blogs and transparency, and GSP's terrific value for money.  Long may it continue!

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

I appreciate Graham's blogs and transparency, and GSP's terrific value for money. 
You've hit the nail very firmly on the head! I suspect that's why we're all fans Wink .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: miT
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:58pm
It was quite a while ago but having been a headphone user for quite a while through my teens, I was looking at upgrading to a grown up system. Being on a modest income, the increased value of a headphone system appealed and this led to me discovering headphone amps, etc.

After a surprisingly good review in What HiFi, I discovered Graham Slee Projects / GSP Audio as it then was and invested in a Novo. This forum has been an instrumental part of my maturing over the years and ultimately led me to understand why the world of reviews are such a farce. Funny that the very magazine that got me here was left behind many years ago!!

I am a dedicated fan because as mentioned in other posts, Graham's honesty and openness about his designs gives me no reason to search elsewhere. I completely trust what he designs and see no reason to believe I know better; that simply would not be true.

Posted By: lwdykes
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

It was quite a while ago but having been a headphone user for quite a while through my teens, I was looking at upgrading to a grown up system. Being on a modest income, the increased value of a headphone system appealed and this led to me discovering headphone amps, etc.

After a surprisingly good review in What HiFi, I discovered Graham Slee Projects / GSP Audio as it then was and invested in a Novo. This forum has been an instrumental part of my maturing over the years and ultimately led me to understand why the world of reviews are such a farce. Funny that the very magazine that got me here was left behind many years ago!!

I am a dedicated fan because as mentioned in other posts, Graham's honesty and openness about his designs gives me no reason to search elsewhere. I completely trust what he designs and see no reason to believe I know better; that simply would not be true.

I too first experienced headphones in my teens; grew up listening to great psychedelic progressive music such as Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc.

Over the past few years I started collecting vinyl again (like many of us) and upgrading my electronics. It was my wife who purchased a nice set of headphones for me (maybe too loud for her late at night! LOL) as I had hinted I wanted a pair. I already had a decent phono stage, but was not even aware of headphone amps until I discovered Graham Slee products through my internet research.  Thanks to BAK and the GS loaner program (great program!), I was able to try out some equipment. What a huge difference in my headphone experience!! The dynamics, separation, clarity of bass (no longer washed out and muddy) is amazing!

I immediately ordered the GS Solo Ultra-Linear Headphone Amp, which I enjoy frequently. Next on my list is the Accession preamp to upgrade my current phono stage. I have a lot of 1960s mono stuff (Beatles, Stones, etc), so plan to order mine with mono switch.

I am really enjoying my music and GS products!

Posted By: RZangpo2
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
New owner here. I read Michael Fremer's review of the Accession M and thought, This is just what I'm looking for. The higher-end phono stages out there cater mostly to MC. While most claim they can do both, it seemed to me that paying megabucks for a MM/MC phono stage meant a big waste of money, as I would never use the MC section. An excellent MM-only phono stage was just what I needed.

Then I read further reviews of the Accession M. The praise was universal, and the price was right. I took the plunge, thinking I had little to lose. I could always sell the Accession on if I didn't like it.

Well, my new Accession M arrived yesterday. Of course it needs more burn-in, but right out of the box the sound astonished me. Recently I listened to a $300,000 system at a dealer demo. The Accession moved me appreciably closer to the $300k sound. (I know price is no guarantee of quality, but the expensive system did sound good!) That system had a $28,000 phono preamp. You could say that I just saved myself $26,500.

So far the Accession impresses me most with its retrieval of the sort of micro-detail that makes recorded music sound "live." (Fremer said the same thing.) Soundstaging and imaging are superb. I may post a more detailed review after the Accession has had a chance to settle in. But so far I'm loving it!

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by RZangpo2 RZangpo2 wrote:

New owner here. I read Michael Fremer's review of the Accession M and thought, This is just what I'm looking for. The higher-end phono stages out there cater mostly to MC. While most claim they can do both, it seemed to me that paying megabucks for a MM/MC phono stage meant a big waste of money, as I would never use the MC section. An excellent MM-only phono stage was just what I needed.

Then I read further reviews of the Accession M. The praise was universal, and the price was right. I took the plunge, thinking I had little to lose. I could always sell the Accession on if I didn't like it.

Well, my new Accession M arrived yesterday. Of course it needs more burn-in, but right out of the box the sound astonished me. Recently I listened to a $300,000 system at a dealer demo. The Accession moved me appreciably closer to the $300k sound. (I know price is no guarantee of quality, but the expensive system did sound good!) That system had a $28,000 phono preamp. You could say that I just saved myself $26,500.

So far the Accession impresses me most with its retrieval of the sort of micro-detail that makes recorded music sound "live." (Fremer said the same thing.) Soundstaging and imaging are superb. I may post a more detailed review after the Accession has had a chance to settle in. But so far I'm loving it!

Thanks for the great review. I am looking at upgrading to the Accession myself. This helps.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:21am
Most manufacturers would sell their soul for an endorsement like that. 
Well put.

-------------

Posted By: Robnpg
Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:39pm
As a noob, I am torn between a dedicated MM stage vs one which handles MM/MC. The GSP line was one highly recommended for this purpose. I can't wait to find out more. 

Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:56pm
I upgraded to the Accession M a couple months ago. I had already installed the GS Solo UL DE Headphone Amp last year (amazing) and knew I wanted to upgrade to GS phono stage as well. I thought about the Reflex, but great reviews like the one above got me looking at the Accession. The Accession M was definitely the right decision for me. It sounds stellar! I'm hearing all kinds of subtle detail I never noticed before in music I have listened to all my life. A few weeks later I also upgraded my speakers to Revel F206 (almost went with the larger F208s) which further enhanced stage presence. These upgrades made a HUGE difference in my sound system. To say I am very pleased with my Accession M would be an understatement. Bruce Kohl & John Cadman were a great help and fantastic to work with. Bruce especially was a wealth of information and very gracious with his time over the phone. I also highly recommend the unique GS loaner program which gives the the opportunity to test GS products with your system and determine which ones are best for you. 

-------------
Larry

Marantz SR7013/Rotel RMB1555/Oppo BDP-103/Technics SL-1700 (Ortofon 2M Bronze)/Thorens TD-145 (Shure V15 Type III, Jico)/Accession M/GS Solo UL DE/Revel F206/JL Audio E10 Sub

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by lwdykes lwdykes wrote:

I upgraded to the Accession M a couple months ago...
 Bruce Kohl & John Cadman were a great help and fantastic to work with. Bruce especially was a wealth of information and very gracious with his time over the phone. I also highly recommend the unique GS loaner program which gives the the opportunity to test GS products with your system and determine which ones are best for you. 

Glad to be 
"Here to Help"
Bruce

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Posted By: patientot
Date Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Robnpg Robnpg wrote:

As a noob, I am torn between a dedicated MM stage vs one which handles MM/MC. The GSP line was one highly recommended for this purpose. I can't wait to find out more. 

I had a couple of MM/MC switchable units and what I eventually realized is that MCs in my price range didn't do it for me so I never bothered buying an MC cart. As such the MC switches never got used. No regrets upgrading to a GS MM only unit. If I really wanted to go the MC route I'd get an Elevator or one of the GS MC only phono preamps. What I learned is that more adjustments on a phono stage do not necessarily lead to better sound quality overall IME. There are many inexpensive MM/MC phono stages on the market but I'm inclined to think some of these do neither really well. Of course it depends on the particular units you are looking at. Some more expensive MM/MC units are really just meant to be MC units with MM thrown in as an afterthought I think...

-------------
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:46am
The way I look at it is when spending say £600 on a phono amp if you buy one with both MM MC the money will be split between the both and if you are only going use say MM part then you are better off spending that on one that's MM only.( I think for sound quality) That's what I did with my last inter amp I did not need a phono amp or head phono amp built in has I had my GSs for that.
Well that's just my thinking any way.  

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:48pm
The poll would only allow me to choose one of the five answers. Reading reviews prompted my interest and got me investigating GS products, but it was the home trial and assistance from senior members that really initiated my decision to purchase.

-------------
Larry

Marantz SR7013/Rotel RMB1555/Oppo BDP-103/Technics SL-1700 (Ortofon 2M Bronze)/Thorens TD-145 (Shure V15 Type III, Jico)/Accession M/GS Solo UL DE/Revel F206/JL Audio E10 Sub

Posted By: mrtickles
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:34pm
Hi All,

I'm a stranger, new to this place :) I've just picked up a Solo SRG II to properly drive a pair of ATHR70X headphones for monitoring in my small studio.

Must say hugely impressed with the clarity and now I want the Majestic! Lovely listening experience even with these reference headphones.

Scott

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:26pm
Hi Scott
I just have the Solo and I was too (Impressed) I'm using HD 600s, I just wished I'd gone for the SRG II but at the time I thought it was overkill for my needs, I never took my own advice and that's always go for the best you can afford (that way you have room for improvement) that way you have more of a up grade options

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Bluesman 70
Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:08am
Hi all i  to started out with a GS solo headphone amp to replace my entry level Rega bought online it was a good improvement found the GS site and after a few months  purchased a PSU1 this to improved the overall sound of my Grado sr80. Lock down came and i decided to improve my vinyl and with help from John C and the loaner program i purchased the Accession mm phono stage and PSU 1 Enigma and Cusat interconnect and it was the best thing i did many more hours in my listening room 

-------------
Avid Ingenium tt /Project Carbon arm/Ortofon 2M Bronze /Naim XS Intergated amp/ Accession mm Phono stage/Enigma pus1/CUsat50 interconnect/ Naim CDX2/ GS Solo Headphone amp Thiel CS 1.6 Coherent Source

Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:22pm
Graham
I'm in the process of replacing my cables with GS cables. I have the Lautus going from the amp to the Solo (to improve Bass) and CuSat50 from the CD player to amp so far, Both of which have improved the sound to my ears. Now all I have to do is replace the cables from turntable to the Reflex M to the amp. This will take longer than I 1st had in mind as I'm getting into computer audio to back up my CDs, But I will get there, How far I am going with the computer side of things I don't know? The money (all of which) I have spent on the CD writer and SSD storage was ear marked for the cables.

-------------

Posted By: Shively65
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:35pm
Bruce was so incredibly helpful and generous with his time and helping me with the trial of a reflex pre amp.  It was hard to imagine such a huge improvement in sound and having the ability to do a trial made all the difference.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net