Print Page | Close Window

A weekend with the Lautus

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: Cables and Interconnects
Forum Name: Write A Review
Forum Description: Open to all our satisfied interconnect owners - share your experiences here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1807
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 3:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A weekend with the Lautus
Posted By: bronzeage
Subject: A weekend with the Lautus
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:22pm
So, following on from my initial impressions in the original Lautus thread, I thought it would help if I expanded a bit on what I was using to test, and the results of comparison to a £100 cable (I won't name it to protect the real friendly chap from the planet Pluto)

My source is a modded Marantz CD-63 SE, into a Rotel 05SE -> TQ Black cable-> Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers + BK Gemini sub.

Also tested using Sony BD-380 playing 320K MP3s via USB

I tested with various tracks, mostly jazz / classical with some general pop/rock thrown in.

My 'test case' was the re-issue of Moanin by Art Blakey - that has some mumbled conversation at the beginning that a lesser cable can't unravel, and some very harsh trumpet that is ear-bleedingly painful if not tamed.

As might be expected, the gap between the Lautus and the other cable closed compared to my sub-£70 cables.  I would say in terms of detail retrieval, there was nothing much in it, and maybe the other cable had a slight advantage in terms of how it handled the human voice.

However, the Lautus really excelled in how it handled bass and mids - strong, deep and very, very clear, unlike anything else I have heard to date, textures are very rich in detail and tone.

Also, you don't get any feeling of agitation - the background is deathly silent, and you can turn up the volume to a much higher degree without worry. Quite a plus point when listening to orchestral music.

Both cables made sense and controlled the test CD, and at their respective price points, provide excellent value for money.

When listening to MP3s, again the Lautus edged ahead, probably even more than through the CD player. It really smooths out the rough edges, but not at the expense of detail.

Personally, I would stump up the extra to get the Lautus - and will do so once I save up the funds !

Replies:
Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:41pm
Thanks for the detailed review bronzeage! Your findings mirror mine with the Lautus USB cable when I had the Bitzie on loan - and indeed with Graham's other cables; smooth, deep and detailed. I spent decades as a "cable sceptic" before Graham's offerings shone a light in the right place for me.

I'm just playing my CD of (well, rip of) Moanin' - quite an old one, so probably not the remastered version - on my study system, which is GSP cable-free at the moment Cry - and, yes Lee Morgan's trumpet does have an, er, "edge" to it: will need to try it on the living room kit, which is all GSP'd up to compare . . Smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 4:06pm

Thanks morris_minor

Check out track three in particular (or might be track two, depending on the breakdown) - the opening bars are painful on many I system I have tried. It's been mentioned the re-master is brighter, possibly due to the producers poor hearing  (!)

Chord Chameleon plus could also tame it, but at the cost of losing a lot of bass, but still better than not using it.

I really don't want cables to make a difference - but they do, oh yes, they do. Thanks goodness for the loan programme, because it can be very expensive to find out just what works for you.

Graham - bring out a power chord and spare us.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:13pm
Oh, power cords! I've only just got my head round signal cables . . Wink  Next it'll be audiophile fuses, gold-plated wall sockets, dedicated mains spurs, and your own audiophile regenerator. (And I know all of these things exist, it's just that, being an old-fogey, I prefer not to think about them . . . Wacko ).

But, yes - signal cables DO make a difference . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:39pm
I did a lot of experimentation on power cords and power supplies a few years ago and I had to conclude that most ideas simply made matters worse.

However, although I still think it a bit daft that a different bit of wire hanging off the end of around 100 metres of 2.5mm² twin and earth in a house ring main circuit, can make any difference, I may have a go even if it's just for fun.

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:50pm
I share your sceptism, but keep an open mind. Like most, I also don't have unlimited funds and concentrate on achieving most significant difference for the most reasonable cost!

Posted By: mitch65
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

I share your sceptism, but keep an open mind. Like most, I also don't have unlimited funds and concentrate on achieving most significant difference for the most reasonable cost!

Thumbs Up

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 12:45pm
I have been fortunate enough to be able to mess around with a few different power cables - I can tell you that a good one really can make an audible difference, particularly in improving clarity of source components. I too was a sceptic, but the effect is repeatible every time I switch cables.

Amplifiers seem a trickier proposition. I haven't come a across a cable yet that actually improves sound, as opposed to just changing it, mostly for the worst.

What I can say for sure is that plugging into an average extender does make a noticeable downgrade in terms of dynamics. I don't have a fancy one to say if that improves matters, so I make sure I plug my amp directly into a wall socket.

There are various reatailers, who will let you try before you buy, or offer a 30 day refund etc, so if you are simply curious, like I was, there is a way to find out if they do anything for you.

Of course, if you are happy with what you are hearing in the first place - no need to bother.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm
My time with the Lautus is over - and what a thoroughly enjoyable time it was.
It has really opened my ears as to the possibilities a great interconnect can have.
I'm going to see if I can trial an even more expensive one (~£300) to see if that takes me to yet another level, of if the Lautus is simply a world beater, because it was hard to imagine just where the improvements would come from and whether they are worth the cost - but curiosity forces me to at least try to find out.

Either way, I will be saving up for at least one Lautus, because at worst I can use it to make two digital coax connections - bonus !

Posted By: dillon
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 1:56pm
I'm into my second day with the Bitzie and Lautus USB. The Bitzie is very impressive. But I have to say the Lautus is even more impressive. I have a Furutech F2 cable which is rather good, but experimenting with the Lautus into my existing Furutech DAC was the real eye opener - more micro detail, a more balanced sound stage and extra clarity at all frequencies. Music hangs together with so much more analogue freedom and conviction, as I like to call it. Still a week or so more of testing the Bitzie... but I will definitely be acquiring the Lautus immediately regardless of the Bitzie. Slam dunk from Graham!

-------------
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs

Posted By: Stewboss
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 3:47pm
It's a great cable and a mighty double act!

-------------
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650

Posted By: Aussie Mick
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:50pm
Hi all,
    I've just received my Lautus phono-phono interconnects and have slotted them into my system for some burning in. I have a CD player with dual analogue outs so I'm running my long time cables (big name Americans!) alongside the new Lautus. This way I'll be able to do a direct comparison by switching inputs on my amp. Short term results were that from cold the Lautus was a long way behind, but after two hours had caught up. Four hours and it has pulled ahead. A bit more detailed, much richer colour palette, more solid 3D vocals and a deeper soundstage.
     In the same box came my Lautus coax cable and TRS to XLR Libran balanced cable, both awaiting the arrival of my new Majestic DAC. More to follow when the cables have a week on them and the Majestic has arrived.
Exciting times. Pride of ownership.
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 3:00pm
As weird as this sounds, bend your Lautus cables a little along their length to ensure the core is detached from the sheath all the way along.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 3:13pm

The Lautus Phono I/Cs are excellent cables Mick (& the CuSat).

I also ran some 'big name' US cables costing around 3-4 times the GSPs from CD player
to amp & swapped them for Lautus & found the Lautus improved soundstaging & overall resolution.They're staying!
Lucky chap getting a Majestic - I'm saving for oneSmile.

-------------
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:57pm
Thanks Ash and Rich,
        Getting a Majestic was serendipitous: I'd been saving for Proprii when room reorganisation within the house left me without a DAC in my main system. I kept saving and eventually had enough for the Majestic. Now the long road towards Proprii begins again!
Mick.

-------------
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:53am
Update. 24 hours gone. You know that feeling you get with a bad head cold, where everything sounds slightly muted and closed in? That's how my old cables now sound compared to the Lautus. What used to sound like better bass with the old cable now sounds like more (too much) bass, the soundstage is shallow and high percussion sounds are all tizz, no body.
The Lautus is the opposite. Rich and balanced.
Mick.

-------------

Posted By: msphil
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Thanks Ash and Rich,
        Getting a Majestic was serendipitous: I'd been saving for Proprii when room reorganisation within the house left me without a DAC in my main system. I kept saving and eventually had enough for the Majestic. Now the long road towards Proprii begins again!
Mick.

Hi Mick, as someone who has recently taken ownership of a pair of Proprius amps I can tell you that they are well worth saving for. I'm really pleased with my system which also includes the Majestic. Brilliant hi-fi!

-------------
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 12:27pm
Alrighty then. Don't I feel the fool! I've read in these pages time and again about the synergy between GSP products, but if my reaction to my latest change is any indication, there was a big chunk of my brain that wasn't on board. My new Lautus interconnects have been in situ for four days now, running between CD player and amp. The CD player has been on shuffle repeat all that time to help out the burn in process. Tonight I finally installed them in their intended destination, from Reflex M to amp.
   The gains in body, colour, groove and sound stage are remarkable. The sense of three dimensional, solid bodies is wonderful. The Lautus is doing things for the Reflex M that it wasn't doing for the CD player, despite my comments a few posts back about comparisons with my big name US cable.
    Amplification is currently an ageing Arcam Alpha 9 integrated, but when my Majestic arrives early this week it will take over preamp duties and the Alpha 9 will be used as power amp. With a suite of Lautus and Libran cable hooking it all together I'm hoping for more of the synergy I'm enjoying right now.
Cheers,
Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 12:36pm
Cannonball Adderley is on fire and "Mars" from Adrian Boult's LPO Planets recording on EMI is frightening. In the best way.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net