Print Page | Close Window

I show mine, you show me yours...

Printed From: Graham Slee Hifi System Components
Category: And the rest
Forum Name: Audio System Set-Up
Forum Description: Discussions about getting the best from your system (Digital section now moved)
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1780
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 4:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I show mine, you show me yours...
Posted By: musicdude
Subject: I show mine, you show me yours...
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:55am
We are talking a lot about our much loved analog gear. What about showing off what we have, so we can appreciate each others gear? I'll start... Approve

-------------
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.

Replies:
Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:23am
Great idea musicdude. Hope you don't mind me moving it here.

Graham

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:37am
Not at all. I wasn't sure were to put it.
Thanks

-------------
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:15am
Nice TT, musicdude! 'Scuse me for asking - what is it? I believe I do recognise the phono amp, however Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 3:59pm
Looks to be a Pro-ject Xtension with a Grado pickup. A real beauty, and I bet she sings even prettier still.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 6:37pm
Very nice photo Musicdude! I'll photograph my SL1210/II and upload it when I get a chance.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Nice TT, musicdude! 'Scuse me for asking - what is it? I believe I do recognise the phono amp, however Wink

Suede guessed it right. It's the ProJect Extension 10. Ohhh, it sings very well. Big smile

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:06pm
I've got the same Project puck Musicdude!

Here's my SL1210 mark II with an Achromat 1200, the OL arm and Musicmaker III:
I fitted the blue LEDS and they do switch off.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:08am
Looks very nice with the blue led's. I'll bet it sounds nice too! Thumbs Up

-------------
Andy

Posted By: mitch65
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:25am
Rega RP6 on a Mission Isoplat with Goldring G1042 in a very fetching pink LOL

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm
That is a very fetching color ...  LOL

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by musicdude musicdude wrote:

I'm officially in touch with my feminine sideWink, TBH it's more of a powder pink so quite subtle and matches my chimney breast. It's also 'wife friendly'.....Smile

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Posted By: kwmac
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm

You guys are making me very jealous! Never mind how they sound, turntables are just so damn cool! I switched ‘teams’ from analogue to digital a while ago. Actually, didn’t so much ‘switch’ as went through a personal musical dry spell where I gave everything away. At the point of return, I chose digital. I still miss a lot of those old records which are not available, or mastered such that they sound like crap compared to the analogue original.

Anyway, nice gear! Enjoy!

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by mitch65 mitch65 wrote:

I'm officially in touch with my feminine sideWink, TBH it's more of a powder pink so quite subtle and matches my chimney breast. It's also 'wife friendly'.....Smile

Wife friendly, I thought so. LOL

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:00am
A tasteful shade - is it salmon pink? It's very close to the hue of my mobile phone pouch.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:55am
So if I make stuff in pink it will increase my sales?

-------------
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Undoubtedly! And all the other lifestyle shades too. Silver is just so last century . . .Ermm

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

A tasteful shade - is it salmon pink? It's very close to the hue of my mobile phone pouch.

Not really salmon pink (don't know what you'd call it really)Confused

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Undoubtedly! And all the other lifestyle shades too. Silver is just so last century . . .Ermm

Pinks good, they'd look like a battenburg, yumBig smile

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:30pm
From the picture it looks to be Island label pink. Quite appropriate for a turntable Smile.
Other nice colours would be Chrysalis green or CBS orange Wink

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

From the picture it looks to be Island label pink. Quite appropriate for a turntable Smile.
Other nice colours would be Chrysalis green or CBS orange Wink

That's pretty close Thumbs Up

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 5:34pm
It's my 50th in a couple of years, think I'll ask for one of theseLOL

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:04pm
Nice cake, I need one of these soon... 

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:13pm
Honestly I had ordered this before I saw that cool blue cake:

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:54am
I was feeling a bit left out Embarrassed so here's my little collection, starting with one I sold to get the rest (making a nice profit too Wink).

So, a Gyro SE with Tecnoarm and Goldring 1042. Lovely deck, but I needed to move to automated cueing because of a muscle condition, so it had to go. Cry

The first to come after the Gyro was this little Technics SL7 parallel tracker. I'd owned one back in the '80s when they were new and super-cool, so knew how good they sounded. £100 off the well-known auction site, another £100 for a thorough service, new capacitors, connectors, feet. Performance remarkably close to the Gyro with the solidity that direct drive gives.

The SL7 was soon joined by its bigger cousin - the Technics SL-QL1, functionally identical except for the SL7's ability to play vertically (always a good party trick LOL). The QL1 was not only serviced, but tricked out with an external power supply, upgraded bearing, additional damping, new feet and connectors, and a blingtastic copper-bonded platter. This one definitely has the edge over the Gyro IMO - total costs around £600.

The SL7 is currently on loan to a mate for vinyl-ripping duties, and the QL1 has migrated to the living room system. So the office system (which easily gets the most use as I'm fortunate to be able to work from home most of the time thanks to Broadband and VPNs) now sports a Sony PS-X600 Biotracer. This is, so far, unmodded apart from a nice gloss acrylic mat. Thankfully the motors in the arm that control damping and VTF (aside from the cueing functions) work perfectly, and the speed stability from the direct drive is exemplary. Since this was shipped from Kazakhstan (though the item was "located" in Oxford) this was a great relief. The seller must have spent hours packing it . . .

The Sony is seen here with a Pickering XV15-625E, though this gets less use since I found a NOS SAE1000E HOMC - which has some moving coil sparkle allied with the warm, deep sound that makes analogue so appealing to me.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 1:42pm
That's a fine collection Bob.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 3:25pm
Thank you Jon.

Inspired by the ice-blue lights, such as your 1210 sports (love the mat BTW!) I tried putting blue LEDs at the back of the acrylic bases so the front and side edges were illuminated in a display of the best possible taste . . . It looked like this:

A bit OTT for a humble disc spinner Embarrassed

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 3:35pm
Nice wheels!
The Oyaide platter mat is excellent. It sounds even better than it looks, as it should for £230! I also swapped the Focalpods for Isonoe feet and the bass is tighter even at quite high volumes. So they work as promised.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 3:48pm
Do you use a disc clamp or weight Jon?

The SL7 has its own "stabiliser" built into the lid (mainly so you can play it vertically); the QL1 doesn't have space for one. I use the Michell clamp on the Sony because it worked well on the Gyro (as you'd expect), and my tests with the acrylic mat seem to give a tighter, faster sound. I had contemplated a heavy weight - but feared for the TT bearing (maybe unnecessarily?). 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 4:01pm
Hi Bob I use a Project puck which weighs about 700 grammes and is made of brass. I also have a few clamps including a KAB and an EON spider.
I prefer using the weight on the SL1210, it stops the Achromat sliding (thank tg for the tip) and ensures the LP sits in the concave Oyaide. On the P3-24 I think it depends on the record although the KAB sounds good most of the time.

I used to worry about the P3-24 bearing and decided I would not leave the weight on the platter except when in use. It was fine after a year or two use of use. No sign of bearing or spindle damage last time I cleaned and re-oiled. So I take the same approach with the SL1210 and weight.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: oldagetraveller
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 4:39pm
Hopefully the pic. will show!
Quick image of my SL1210. Achromat, Origin Live arm and the superb Denon DL110 HOMC.
I'll post pics. of my wonderful (I think so anyway) 1999 Pink Triangle and Roksan Radius as they are put into use.Smile

-------------
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm

I was feeling a bit left out Embarrassed so here's my little collection, starting with one I sold to get the rest (making a nice profit too Wink).

So, a Gyro SE with Tecnoarm and Goldring 1042. Lovely deck, but I needed to move to automated cueing because of a muscle condition, so it had to go. Cry

The first to come after the Gyro was this little Technics SL7 parallel tracker. I'd owned one back in the '80s when they were new and super-cool, so knew how good they sounded. £100 off the well-known auction site, another £100 for a thorough service, new capacitors, connectors, feet. Performance remarkably close to the Gyro with the solidity that direct drive gives.

The SL7 was soon joined by its bigger cousin - the Technics SL-QL1, functionally identical except for the SL7's ability to play vertically (always a good party trick LOL). The QL1 was not only serviced, but tricked out with an external power supply, upgraded bearing, additional damping, new feet and connectors, and a blingtastic copper-bonded platter. This one definitely has the edge over the Gyro IMO - total costs around £600.

The SL7 is currently on loan to a mate for vinyl-ripping duties, and the QL1 has migrated to the living room system. So the office system (which easily gets the most use as I'm fortunate to be able to work from home most of the time thanks to Broadband and VPNs) now sports a Sony PS-X600 Biotracer. This is, so far, unmodded apart from a nice gloss acrylic mat. Thankfully the motors in the arm that control damping and VTF (aside from the cueing functions) work perfectly, and the speed stability from the direct drive is exemplary. Since this was shipped from Kazakhstan (though the item was "located" in Oxford) this was a great relief. The seller must have spent hours packing it . . .

The Sony is seen here with a Pickering XV15-625E, though this gets less use since I found a NOS SAE1000E HOMC - which has some moving coil sparkle allied with the warm, deep sound that makes analogue so appealing to me.

Now that's just showing off Cry

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:43pm
Wow, quite the collection of killer turntables you've got there Bob!
I'm a little intrigued by the SL-QL1, how does it sound when played vertically? Is it just a very cool gimmick or does it actually sound as good as when playing it in the normal fashion too?

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:51pm

I left out this one: 

That's showing off!  LOL

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:02pm

Wow, quite the collection of killer turntables you've got there Bob!
I'm a little intrigued by the SL-QL1, how does it sound when played vertically? Is it just a very cool gimmick or does it actually sound as good as when playing it in the normal fashion too?
It's the little SL7 that works vertically - and very well it does to! The arm is dynamically balanced, and I do believe there was an advert back in the day showing it working upside down Shocked. (The only trouble with that is the record would fall out when you open it . . LOL).

When I had my first SL7 I lived in a little bedsit and was strapped for space, so the SL7 was vertical the whole time I was there. I've only had my current SL7 vertical once - I made a little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8b0tP0p9uQ - video   - and TBH didn't really do any sound quality checks. But it sounded fine when I played it this way. 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm

I left out this one: 

That's showing off!  LOL

Wow cool! Cool

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 7:58pm

I left out this one: 

That's showing off!  LOL

Wow cool! Cool

That's an amazing turntable! Congratulation! Thumbs Up

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:49pm

That's an amazing turntable! Congratulation! Thumbs Up
Er, that's not really mine . I'd like to hear it, though ....

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:13pm
Wow! The tonearms alone are pretty impressive.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by oldagetraveller oldagetraveller wrote:

Quick image of my SL1210. Achromat, Origin Live arm and the superb Denon DL110 HOMC.
I'll post pics. of my wonderful (I think so anyway) 1999 Pink Triangle and Roksan Radius as they are put into use.Smile

Thanks OAT. It's good to see another SL1210 and OL arm, I've enjoyed mine. The Achromat really lifts the sound from the stock rubber mat.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 9:23pm

Thanks OAT. It's good to see another SL1210 and OL arm, I've enjoyed mine. The Achromat really lifts the sound from the stock rubber mat.

Lot of hogwash about DDs (bloody belt-drive crowd Wink), I'm glad I owned one, wasn't for me in the end but that bass! I don't think I've ever heard a turntable go as low as a 1200/1210Clap

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 12:17am

Wow! The tonearms alone are pretty impressive.
SME 3012 and a Series V-12 ?

-------------
Andy

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 11:28am
"(bloody belt-drive crowd Wink)" Alright then! Smile
Pink Triangle Tarantella fitted with Roksan Nima and Denon DL304 MC.

-------------
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 11:41am

"(bloody belt-drive crowd Wink)" Alright then! Smile

You don't many of those floating about Smile

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 12:04pm

"(bloody belt-drive crowd Wink)" Alright then! Smile
That's very cool! 

I'm reminded of the film of A Clockwork Orange for some reason (though I believe it was a Transcriptors Saturn (?) in that) - maybe the triangular base . . . 

Could start a new thread "turntables in films". I was re-watching Blade Runner a short while ago, and Deckard (Harrison Ford) had a Technics SL7 (vertical) in his gloomy apartment.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 1:48pm
I think it was a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference that Alex listened to his "lovely, lovely Ludwig van" on.

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 1:50pm
Same ideas and similar design to the Funk Firm turntables. Arthur Khoubesserian was a designer for PT and it's fairly obvious he had  a hand in Funk Firm. Pink Triangle Projects disappeared in 1999.
Here's a review from 1998! http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl091998.htm

-------------
Peter

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:04pm

Well here's my humble record spinner. With a few minor mods to it it still manages to make me weep within with pure joy and musical bliss Big smile
Blows my £400 DAC completely out of the water too it does.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:30pm

Well here's my humble record spinner. With a few minor mods to it it still manages to make me weep within with pure joy and musical bliss Big smile

I was as a bit concerned I had my Reflex too close to my turntable but I guess not Smile

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:59pm
I haven't heard or noticed any adverse effects from keeping it near the TT, I just make sure to keep the PSU1's at a distance from any equipment. Smile

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:00pm

I haven't heard or noticed any adverse effects from keeping it near the TT, I just make sure to keep the PSU1's at a distance from any equipment. Smile

I couldn't afford the PSU1Cry

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm

I didn't know the Reflex was sold without them as an option, but at least you have an easy pick on your upgrade list Smile

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 10:33pm

I didn't know the Reflex was sold without them as an option, but at least you have an easy pick on your upgrade list Smile

That's true Wink

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 1:50pm
"Inspired" Manticore Mantra and very "new" Technics SL-7.

Manticore Mantra

Plinth braced and reveneered in light oak by Inspire HiFi
Glass platter and felt mat replaced with Inspire's acrylic platter and Acri-Mat
Rega RB 301 tonearm with Goldring G1042 cartridge.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:15pm
Nice one Ifor! Another G1042 user I see - a very good "all-round" cartridge . . .

And it's good to see your SL7 installed too Big smile. Where you have it would be a prime candidate for the wedges that were available when new for the SL7/10/15. They're now rarer than hen's teeth - though anyone with some woodworking skills could knock a pair up easily enough I should think.

Here they are under a '10:

Have you tried yours out vertically, yet? (Stand it up on its back, by the hinges for the lid - but hold the lid when you press the Open button!). Very cool! Cool

(Actually it's always best to press down slightly on the lid when opening, and press the Open button when closing as the lugs in the perspex lid have been known to break over time. I know of one SL7 owner who uses a pile of books to keep the lid shut when playing - the spring in the disc stabiliser pushes the lid open a little otherwise . . )

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:44pm

Nice one Ifor! And it's good to see your SL7 installed too. Where you have it would be a prime candidate for the wedges that were available when new for the SL7/10/15. They're now rarer than hen's teeth - though anyone with some woodworking skills could knock a pair up easily enough I should think.

I want one! Unfortunately I haven't the skills

Have you tried yours out vertically, yet?

I haven't yet

(Actually it's always best to press down slightly on the lid when opening, and press the Open button when closing as the lugs in the perspex lid have been known to break over time. I know of one SL7 owner who uses a pile of books to keep the lid shut when playing - the spring in the disc stabiliser pushes the lid open a little otherwise . . )

Thanks for that advice Bob.

BTW it sounds really rather good through the Reflex. So convenient for playing my 45 rpm 12" vinyl.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

BTW it sounds really rather good through the Reflex. So convenient for playing my 45 rpm 12" vinyl.
That's excellent Ifor. The P22 is a class cartridge, certainly in the same league as your 1042... Enjoy !

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Bi-wire
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 4:49pm
Some lovely kit on display in this thread. Thought I would add my modest contribution:

Orbe SE with SME IV and Dynavector DV20X2L. The boxes just visible under the TT are my GSP Revelation M and a GSP Solo SRGII. The Revelation is fed from a step-up transformer, as the Dynavector is a low output MC, and it in turn feeds a passive pre- and then on to some tubes. One day I might take advantage of the loaner programme to try an Elevator in place of the SUT but for now, I'm more than happy with this set-up.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 5:06pm
You're being very modest Bi-wire! Your Orbe/SME/DV is one serious piece of kit Thumbs Up . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Bi-wire
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm

You're being very modest Bi-wire! Your Orbe/SME/DV is one serious piece of kit Thumbs Up . 

That's very kind of you to say, Bob. It's certainly a very capable performer, getting as much music as possible out of those grooves. Teamed with Graham's Revelation M and my other bits and bobs I do take some pleasure in stunning members of the digital generation (neices, nephews, etc) into silence when they hear what it can do.

Peter

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 6:20pm
Lovely turntable Peter, what a treat for your records and the ears of your visitors.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 12:45am
I feel like I'm the only member here who doesn't regularly use vinyl haha. I have some but I don't have much space in my room to set it up. LOL I'm more of a Bitzie guy. Embarrassed

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 12:50am
These vinyl turntables look extremely well-made. Wow, my humble vinyl turntable was about £90 when I bought it from Comet a few years ago haha. Embarrassed The turntables displayed here must cost several hundred pounds, if not a few thousand pounds, with all the accessories. Shocked

EDIT: Definitely several thousand pounds! The materials are top notch.

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:34pm

Here is my Gyrodec with a 2nd hand Origin Live Conqueror with an Ortofon 2M Black good sounds but must be (Linn aside) be the fiddliest turntable and arm around to setup.

The phones are a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900s

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:41pm
The build quality of that turntable is amazing! Shocked All this equipment must add up to several thousand pounds (GBP).

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:04pm

I was as a bit concerned I had my Reflex too close to my turntable but I guess not Smile

I just tried listening attentively while moving my Reflex a little further from the turntable and darn it if I don't think it improves just a little in sound, especially getting slightly more bite in the bass. The strange thing though is that this means moving the phono stage closer to a loudspeaker instead and intuitively I'd think that would screw more with it. Confused
Now just like Freddy Mercury did I'm living on my own but next time I have friend over I'll try and get him to help me conduct a blind test.

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:21pm

For a little nostalgia, I found a pic of what was my very first turntable.

Gave many hours of pleasure as a teenager playing my 7" 45's and a couple of Elvis Presley LPs I saved up for - kept me off mum and dad's stereo in the living room as well - I expect they thought it money well spent Wink

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 7:18pm

I just tried listening attentively while moving my Reflex a little further from the turntable and darn it if I don't think it improves just a little in sound, especially getting slightly more bite in the bass. The strange thing though is that this means moving the phono stage closer to a loudspeaker instead and intuitively I'd think that would screw more with it. Confused
Now just like Freddy Mercury did I'm living on my own but next time I have friend over I'll try and get him to help me conduct a blind test.

I might try putting the Reflex on the floor when my amplifier comes back from it's service and see if that makes an difference.

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:52pm
Please do tell then if you can discern any difference yourself.

And that's a really impressive turntable Steve! I see you too use the 2M Black Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:15am
This is my set-up, a one-off prototype for the eventual Kuzma Stabi XL. I use this with a Triplanar arm and Lyra Titan i cartridge, all sitting on an active Vibraplane support which in turn sits on a Finite Elemente stand.

I have this used this set-up, pretty well untouched for over thirteen years now and it still sounds wonderful Smile..made even better with the addition of the Reflex M and Elevator of course Wink

http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/uploads/794/014.JPG

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Suggs Suggs wrote:

This is my set-up, a one-off prototype for the eventual Kuzma Stabi XL. I use this with a Triplanar arm and Lyra Titan i cartridge, all sitting on an active Vibraplane support which in turn sits on a Finite Elemente stand.
Wow! Very, very nice, Suggs! Clap

It must give you a nice feeling knowing your TT is literally unique . . Smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 1:40pm
Thanks Bob.

In a way , yes, but it also means that it has virtually zero re-sale value when that day eventually arrives Unhappy

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:25pm
Wow, that tonearm looks like you nicked it off a space shuttle!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:46pm

Wow, that tonearm looks like you nicked it off a space shuttle!

Looks veeeery nice Smile

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:51pm

Thanks Bob.

In a way , yes, but it also means that it has virtually zero re-sale value when that day eventually arrives Unhappy
Do you think so? I reckon an "audiophile collector" would snap it up . . . if not I'll give you a tenner for it LOL.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:57pm
Suggs that is an impressive turntable and Bob, you're too kind!

Since its last portrait my SL1210 has gone "double-0" as I repainted it in metallic silver over the weekend. I am thinking about carbon fibre effect next time. And it still sounds very good to me!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: JamesD
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
I watched a BBC documentary program about Nile Rodgers on iPlayer over the weekend, it was good to see some sections of video showing what I think was a 1200 (or was it a 1210...) playing some great 70's disco music Wink

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 12:27am
I remember it as the 1200 is silver and 1210 is black. There were a lot of look-a-likes and me-too's from other manufacturers. It's a remarkable piece of technology and well deserves its place in the Science Museum.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: garygillespie
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:52am
Originally posted by JamesD JamesD wrote:

I watched a BBC documentary program about Nile Rodgers on iPlayer over the weekend, it was good to see some sections of video showing what I think was a 1200 (or was it a 1210...) playing some great 70's disco music Wink

A nice box set came out call "Nile Rodgers presents The Chic Organization: Boxset Vol. 1", once it comes down in price I'm going to pick it up.
And if you didn't know he's working with Daft Punk on their new cd, along with Giorgio Moroder.

Posted By: garygillespie
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 1:00am

You have the same type of setup I'm going for.
I already have my 2M Black.
I wanted to know what type of cabinet you have, and what is that isolation platform?

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 6:51am

Thanks Bob.

Do you think so? I reckon an "audiophile collector" would snap it up . . . if not I'll give you a tenner for it LOL.

Thanks Bob, I'll bear it in mind when times get even harder LOL

-------------
Derek

Posted By: Aeolian
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:54pm

Makes a bit of a change from black Planar 2 for last 20 years. Sounds a bit better too, but wait... can you spot the deliberate mistake?

Date Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by garygillespie garygillespie wrote:

You have the same type of setup I'm going for.
I already have my 2M Black.
I wanted to know what type of cabinet you have, and what is that isolation platform?

Sorry Gary, only a month to reply....Embarrassed
The unit is a Soundstyle Finewoods (sadly no longer available) brilliant build quality with a Mission Isoplat under the RP6.

-------------
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50

Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 11:14am
My Roksan Radius 5 with Nima arm and Cartridgeman Music Maker.Smile
I uploaded four images but only two are showing?! If I try to upload the two missing again I receive a message that I've already done it?!Confused

-------------
Peter

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:28pm
 My turntable is a £90 one I bought from Comet a few years ago. I like it though. Has a built-in preamp as it is intended for digitising LPs.

-------------
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:38pm
Tonight is the first night that I have ever heard a vinyl record with the HD250II. The sound was very good even without any hi-fi equipment to pair with it. When I last listened to this LP, my headphones were rubbish, back when I had just started learning about high fidelity.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:39pm
Will somebody out there give Ash a job that pays sufficient wages so he can move to a proper sized room FFS!!!

Mind you I said it all changed in 1979, but my wife is the only one to remember as there wasn't such a thing as the internet in those days to share things...

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 11:23pm
A bed must be a good isolation platform from footfalls and suchlike!

Joking aside, to get the best out of the TT it needs to be on something solid and level. I'm guessing this is going to be a problem... Don't do any vinyl upgrading until you've solved this one...

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 11:36pm
No space for any decent hard resting surfaces. No decent walls to fix anything on either. As I said, I live in space poverty. Money is fine (I have a job and can pay my way) but space is a pain. This is the main reason that I have used headphones exclusively for a long time and another reason that I haven't pursued vinyl much. CD and computer audio is much easier for me to maintain and store; it's space efficient. I should probably leave vinyl purchases well alone because if I get started on Graham Slee products for vinyl, I'll end up in both space AND financial poverty. LOL My wallet is incompatible with gspaudio! So many great things to buy... Evil Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 6:03am
It's either an extremely small bedsit or you're stuck with ma and pa (like I was for a number of times - you wouldn't have the monopoly on that Wink).

I guess the 1950's were much better for housing because a mine worker could have a three bedroom house and afford the rent on his paltry wages. "Maggie, what have we done?" (sang old Roger...)

Have you seen how small the bedrooms are in these modern homes? Can't even get a bed into most of them!

And as far as those renting such tiny hovels there are often restrictions on putting shelves on walls - I remember I had to beg permission to fit shelves in the second bedroom of a two bedroom flat I once rented.

The UK north-south divide is such that whole families have to try and squeeze into one bedroom houses south of Watford Gap...

OK, this isn't helping Ash get any high fidelity listening (nor did any political party during my lifetime so far).

If there are no restrictions to prevent you putting shelves on walls you really ought to persevere!

The absolute worst ever house wall construction technique was dot & dab over breeze block - like the exterior walls are in my vastly over-priced 4 bedroom detached version of a 1950's pit house... (don't get me started Angry)

Stud walls are slightly better (but can be done really well if given some thought...). However, to comply with a certain "well insulated" politician's guidelines (Mr Prescott), many are 10mm plasterboard with polystyrene stuck to the back!

The other type of wall is plaster coated breeze block. The word breeze must refer to the ease in which large amounts of money could be made through the sale of the product...

Luckily companies like Rawl and Fischer have developed solutions to tackle "cowboy built" walls, not that you'll easily find them in your local DIY shed (B&Q, Homebase etc) where they insist on selling smooth wall plugs... such sackless wonders are these DIY supermarkets...

If your walls are dot & dab there will be a gap under the plasterboard before you hit the breeze block (you may be unlucky and hit the mortar joint which on perpendiculars are hardly ever filled).

Using Rawl blue plugs requiring an 8mm masonry drill you need to get deep into the breeze masonry and hammer it through the plasterboard and snug into the breeze by inserting a screw two or three turns. This usually cracks the plasterboard around the hole. However, by careful planning you use broad battens onto the wall which distribute the pressure when tightening the screws (or even more of the plasterboard breaks in).

For stud walls the same Rawl blue plugs work and if the builder hasn't buried naughty things behind it (like water pipes!), you're onto a winner!

Make your shelving adjustable by using Spur twin slot which is really expensive from the DIY sheds, but surprisingly inexpensive from here: http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/acatalog/spur-shelving-wall-mounted-twinslot.html - http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/acatalog/spur-shelving-wall-mounted-twinslot.html (just make up a trade name for yourself...)

Plain 18mm MDF is great for shelves if you don't mind boring light brown. The B&Q will usually saw an 8 x 4 sheet into the strips you want... to an accuracy of +/- 4mm Ouch

And what about all those unsightly holes that didn't let the wall plugs anchor properly? You'll need some interior grab adhesive like "No More Nails" and some emulsion of the right colour!

Talking about "No More Nails", you could stick battens to the wall with it! The ads show a toilet stuck half way up a redwood! Wink

And talking about emulsion, even if the screws don't feel like they'll take the weight, given a few weeks existing emulsioned walls grab whatever's in contact with them!

And if you can master these skills you can set up doing shelves for all those people who can't and earn some proper money!!!

-------------

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 3:25pm
Hello Ash

If you really cannot drill to the wall or any other fixed solution, then maybe a pair of something like this may be worth considering over the bed. Not perfect but depending on the weight of your speakers it may work? When not in use they could be disassembled

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 5:34pm
Thank you for the suggestions. Smile I'm not a DIY guy either. (which makes me a pretty useless individual... Dead) I've actually thought of a way to get myself two corners in my room for permanent speaker placement though... I have a single bed and my bedroom has the approximate area of... a double bed! The side opposite to my bed (where I was sitting in my Equator D5 photographs) has a radiator on the wall and a sliding door at the end. I could actually swivel my bed 180 degrees and put it back against the wall my speakers were placed in the photos. I would lose a little floor space, a little underbed space (because of the radiator) and only have a small gap to walk into the room but I would gain two corners. Wednesday is my next day off. I'll have to try it out. Smile My room will be less tidy but more functional. No doubt my mum will moan that my room no longer looks "homely" but sod it, at least it's not cluttered. It's quite empty to be honest but I like to keep it like this so that I can use what little space I do have.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Nuance_Ember Nuance_Ember wrote:

No doubt my mum will moan that my room no longer looks "homely" but sod it...

Mine eventually gave in and then I took over the "Sunday room" (the downstairs room people of their age group never used... just there for the ornaments...)

Just about built the disco system in there, and eventually she started enjoying the music too!

Her favourite? Mr Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra.

Happy days

-------------

Posted By: less
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 1:50pm
Graham Slee said: "The absolute worst ever house wall construction technique was dot & dab over breeze block"

My builder (They've nearly finished, thank goodness!) agrees. All new built walls have been hard plastered.

My turntable is sitting on a HiFi Racks wall shelf. Does'nt take up much room and gives a very solid base. (Piccies to follow!)

Regards

Les

-------------
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 6:50pm
I too would recommend wall shelves for turntables. This solves a lot of problems but check for buried mains cables so the DIY is safe and there's no hum on playback.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: earwiggo
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 9:04pm
I have to say that I have not had a good laugh for a while, but I really have enjoyed the learned opinions of wall constructions, and never expected to learn so much via a hi-fi forum.
When Drewan sent in that picture of the tray on wheels I got flashbacks of an old folks home we used to sing Christmas carols in and they were everywhere!
It also reminded me of when my mother got a 'hostess' trolley one Christmas - it was just like a scene from the Royal Family!
And Ash, if you do use shelving, use real wood - ash is good - and not that awful MDF c**p!
Keep up the top tips please!

-------------
...If only I knew that yesterday!

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:00pm
I remember the Hostess trolley we had...

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Wilki
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 5:58pm
Wow!
Some really awesome TTs. What a treat.
Tried to upload mine but file size apparently too big.
I'll have another try.

Regards Ian

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
Hi Ian, I think the size limit is 100k so a jpg of up to 1500 pixels high/wide should be okay. Eagerly awaited!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Wilki
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:23am
No luck uploading photo from my iPhone
Size is too big to upload

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net