Print Page | Close Window

Spatia Impressions

Printed From: Graham Slee at Hifi System Components
Category: Cables and Interconnects
Forum Name: Write A Review
Forum Description: Open to all our satisfied interconnect owners - share your experiences here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1614
Printed Date: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spatia Impressions
Posted By: morris_minor
Subject: Spatia Impressions
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 1:43pm
My Proprius amps have now been "bookended" by GSP cables in and out with the arrival of a pair of Spatia.

I'd previously been using a pair of generic 79-strand cables which had always seemed pretty ok - certainly fine for the AV amp the system had been using. [BTW, why 79 strand, why not 75 or 80??]

I've http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/proprius-in-my-system_topic1591_page1.html - posted elsewhere about tremendous sound the Proprii give out - full bodied, dynamic and detailed. Now with the addition of the Spatia it's as though the handbrake has been taken off and the full performance of these amps realised.

Without going into reviewer-speak (too much): the sound stage now spreads farther out from the speakers, the tonal colours of instruments seem more "saturated" (pre-digital photography fans think Kodachrome over Ektachrome), the bass response of my PMCs has finally been revealed, and the toe-tapping quotient raised yet another notch or two. With well recorded tracks vocals have an immediacy and presence, and solo instruments a holographic image that floats free of the speakers. Fantastic stuff . . .

I'll only mention one album by name (or this could on for pages): Vaughan Williams' Mass in G Minor, King's College Choir (EMI, around 1970). The ethereal, almost timeless, sound produced by the system now is spine tingling in it's recreation of the King's College Chapel acoustic. Who needs 5.1?

The synergy between amp and cables is plainly obvious and the Spatia is another star product from GSP! Clap

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Replies:
Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 8:51pm
Nice!

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: FreiheitZecher
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 7:24pm
Bob,

I'm going to replace my speakers cables, so I appreciated your comments on the Spatia. I've been using Ecosse MS2.3 for almost ten(!) years. I was going to replace this with a newer Ecosse, but not now. I'm going to order the Spatia when budget allows. Besides, methinks the designers at Ecosse speak with a Chinese accent. I read Ecosse cables are re-badged Asian products.

I'm having an "EMI" day myself: some unsurpassed , IMHO, recordings: Elgar's Sea Pictures with Baker/Barbirolli (remarkable detail on both JB's voice and JB's Philharmonia through my new Reflex M);
Elgar's Enigma with  Sir John and the Philharmonia (ASD 548). Now on to the Vaughan Williams Mass. But first the Shirley-Quirk Five Mystical Songs (a desert island favorite) and the greatest of all violin concertos: the Elgar.

Regards,
Rod

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 11:40am
Hi Rod,

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Spatia - there are sets available to borrow from Jon (Fatmangolf) if you want to check it out in your own system.

I have those Barbirolli discs you mention, plus ASD 521 - Elgar's Introduction and Allegro/Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia, IMO the best performances of both works bar none. I inherited my Dad's old mono copy - played on our radiogram - bought my own stereo version, and then a CD, and more recently a 180gm reissue. I do believe it was the longest available full-price HMV LP issued ever . .

Which Elgar Violin version were you playing? I only have two - Heifetz/Sargent and Kennedy/Handley.

Talking of Handley, I'm playing a CFP disc of his now - Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance Marches/Sea Pictures (Bernadette Greevy). This is the first play via my Reflex and the organ pedals in the marches are truly sumptuous. Lovely stuff . . . Smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 4:03pm
Hi Rod the Spatia cables are revealing and musical. Please pm me if I can help with a home loan.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Hi Rod,

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Spatia - there are sets available to borrow from Jon (Fatmangolf) if you want to check it out in your own system.

I have those Barbirolli discs you mention, plus ASD 521 - Elgar's Introduction and Allegro/Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia, IMO the best performances of both works bar none. I inherited my Dad's old mono copy - played on our radiogram - bought my own stereo version, and then a CD, and more recently a 180gm reissue. I do believe it was the longest available full-price HMV LP issued ever . .

Which Elgar Violin version were you playing? I only have two - Heifetz/Sargent and Kennedy/Handley.

Talking of Handley, I'm playing a CFP disc of his now - Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance Marches/Sea Pictures (Bernadette Greevy). This is the first play via my Reflex and the organ pedals in the marches are truly sumptuous. Lovely stuff . . . Smile

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 5:26pm
The Kennedy/Handley is my favorite performance. I had the Heifetz/Sargent, but didn't like Heifetz in this music (or in much else, to be frank).  I had high hopes for the Kennedy/Rattle, but found it disappointing. The Kennedy/Handley is very naturally recorded, but I sometimes feel the mike placement is too distant. Despite this, Kennedy's  beautifully responsive playing of the slow movement leaves me at a loss for words. I have this on a CD. Could the early digital LP be superior?

Agree on the Barbirolli ASD521, but my pressing is a late one. Is the new reissue an improvement? Original first pressings sell for $$$.

I fear these exchanges are not of general interest to many members. Would you like to PM re: specific LP's?

Regards,
Rod

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 6:02pm
The Elgar conversation is continued http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/topic1622_post14649.html#14649 - over here .

Back to the Spatia: more  miles on the clock, and a wider grin Big smile - there's not a lot else to say really. It does the job it was designed to do exceptionally well - to allow the window on the music to be as clear as possible and to let the speakers communicate the passion and the emotion of the musical signal being produced by the amplifiers.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm
I'd like to try a 2M set of Spatias, but I fear the postal charges both ways (in the unlikely event I have to return them) would be prohibitive.

Posted By: tg
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:38am

Rod,

PM mrarroyo (Miguel), he does the loans in the US. 

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by FreiheitZecher FreiheitZecher wrote:

I'd like to try a 2M set of Spatias, but I fear the postal charges both ways (in the unlikely event I have to return them) would be prohibitive.

That's why I went to great expense in sending our samples to the USA, Australia, Europe as well as in Britain.

The two way shipping in the USA should be reasonable.

-------------
Not simple enough for Google-Bot to understand...

Posted By: mrarroyo
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by FreiheitZecher FreiheitZecher wrote:

If you are in the USA (lower 48) shoot me a PM to coordinate.

-------------
Miguel

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 8:38am
My early morning music fix today is Days Of Future Passed by The Moody Blues, on a 96/24 download, the first play via the CuSat/Proprius/Spatia setup.

Wow! The opening orchestral track has a simply huge soundstage, the speakers totally disappearing as sources of the sound. Vocals are immediate and tangible. It's all so much more involving than before . . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:35pm
I think the Spatia cables are just as good as the well regarded heralded *ium Q Bl* (which are very good). Similar musicality and enthralling midrange with deep fast bass and extended high frequencies. A real change from the harsh and confused sounding speaker cables many of us have suffered.
They are good value for a high end speaker cable. Listening is believing on this.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:50am
The final link is now in place as regards speaker cabling as the Spatia Links arrived today - thanks John!

Not had a proper listen yet, but will report back in due course . . . 

Spatia cabling and links

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 1:54pm
Hi MM...look forward to your observations and comments. BTW where did you source your Hi-Res Moody Blues from?

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 2:35pm
I've fitted the Spatia links to my centre speaker, a GX150. They replace the MA supplied links. I can hear the voices clearly and pick out more of the ambient noise on the soundtrack. First impression is £24 well spent.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Suggs Suggs wrote:

Hi MM...look forward to your observations and comments. BTW where did you source your Hi-Res Moody Blues from?
Hi Suggs. I got the Moody Blues from HDTracks - when they were still accepting Paypal from UK customers. I can't say that I've seen it anywhere else.  

Having a listen to the Spatia links this afternoon I was able to notice how the music was that bit more defined. It seemed to hang together better and the result was even more holographic than just with the Spatia cables. A favourite album is another hi res download (from Aix Records) of Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir". The clarity of the fretwork is stunning, and some of the very high frequency chime-like percussion stretches the upper limits of my hearing. With the links in place the impression of the performers being in the room is stronger.

As Jon noted above - money well spent!

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 8:19pm
Thanks MM. I'll look out for the Laurence Juber

It's remarkable that just a few inches of cable can release so much buried info...John certainly can bring the best out of the  stringy bits needed for linking our kit together. More power to his elbow Clap

-------------
Derek

Posted By: Gary
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 10:33pm
Got a pair of Spatia cables and links last week to go along with the CuSat50 interconnects. I'll post a review later this week. I'm still listening to them, I'm very impressed with them.
Spatia and Links on MA GX50

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:33pm
Nice photos Gary, is that a GX50?.
That's the way I set mine up as well, cables into HF then jumpered to LF. Looking forward to your review.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:43am

Well I got my grubby little mitts on a pair of these this morning, postie playing catchup after xmas.

Looked them over having some recollection of them being directional but could not see anything obvious, so plugged them in and played a well known and much loved (and abused) recording to start things off, got the definite impression something was not quite as it should be, not bad mind you, just not quite right.

Looked up the specs and sure enough, they are directional, got out a torch and examined each lead rather carefully and finally found the telltale blue wrap under the flexbraid.

Sure enough, I had both of them a-about.  Turn off the amp, reverse both leads and have another try - much mo' betta.

Suggestion, perhaps put the blue heatshrink on the outside at the appropriate end.

The difference is audible as I found already, would have been good to avoid that, particularly for someone not suspecting such a thing.

Graham is right, they are definitely fast.

It will be interesting to see how I feel about them in a couple of weeks, particularly since I run very sensitive back loaded horn speakers from a low power SET amp with no global NFB.

Borrowed a Lautus too and fitted that to the back of the Reflex.

Report in due course.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:45am
We decided to make the marker subtle for the first batches of Spatia's. I get a number of people telling me how ashamed they are with me for following the directional cable "crap", and that my reputation with them is now hanging in shreds...

The thing is I never believed cable direction could have any effect... until I tried it in a blindfold test, which was very difficult as I was doing the test on my own!

This was a few years ago. I made two headphone extension cables. One had the cable with print running from source to receiving equipment, and the other had the print in the other direction. I threw both on the lounge floor and turned the lights off. I fumbled about in the dark and found one of the cables and having worked in a darkroom many years ago, I had learned the knack of finding little things like film cartridge end caps by feel, so found it relatively easy to find the headphone amp and headphone jack plug and connect up.

I can't remember the exact sequence but found one cable to have a "muddled" sound and the other much clearer.

When we started doing the CuSat50 the cable had print on the jackets, but the current manufacturer of the stock cable supplies it unprinted. I therefore get the job of finding the right direction by ear. It is quite easy though. I often use Los Endos by Genesis. There is a climax that uses a stereo trick to squeeze the music to centre stage before expanding out again to a full sound stage. If the direction is wrong you simply don't get the effect. Also, in the wrong direction the phasing sounds all wrong as if a loudspeaker is connected red to black and black to red.

With the Lautus it is imperative to get the direction right because the filters have to be put on an exact distance from the source end.

Looking forward to your impressions tg.

Graham

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:24am

You have described pretty much what I was hearing, vaguely amorphous and unfocussed, as you say, rather as if the phase was swapped at the speakers.

The Lautus was fine, I saw the arrows and followed the direction.

I did not think I would hear differences in cables myself until I inadvertently connected a directional pair I had the wrong way round and wondered what on earth I had done to the sound.

Opened up a whole new world of tinkering and expense, and joyful discovery at times.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Looked up the specs and sure enough, they are directional, got out a torch and examined each lead rather carefully and finally found the telltale blue wrap under the flexbraid.
I had a job finding it too . . Confused
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

We decided to make the marker subtle for the first batches of Spatia's. I get a number of people telling me how ashamed they are with me for following the directional cable "crap", and that my reputation with them is now hanging in shreds...
It seems to me that most, if not all hi-fi cables are now marked as directional - so anyone wanting a true bi-directional cable would have a hard job finding one . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:59am
I like the experimental approach i.e. try the cable the other way round  and listen. It's a relief to find I'm not alone in this!

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 2:53pm
On the Spatia links, I have switched from my usual biwired left and right speakers to single wired with links from HF to LF. Ellisdj pm'ed a bit on this as we have the same speakers and came to similar conclusions about the improvement the Spatia links give over the manufacturer's links, which are pretty good. The Spatia links open up the sound and there's more music to enjoy.

I think John's birthday is a good time to praise his technical expertise on these cables and the other cables. I appreciate the listening tests he, Graham and others must have done to make this work so well. Thank you.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I think John's birthday is a good time to praise his technical expertise on these cables and the other cables. I appreciate the listening tests he, Graham and others must have done to make this work so well. Thank you.
+1 from me Clap

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Nice photos Gary, is that a GX50?............
Jon

Yes, it's a GX50.
I'm very impressed with the Spatia cables. I'm satisfied that I don't need bi-wire with the Spatia links. The Spatia cables have cleared up the presentation throughout the speakers range, the top end is much clearer, most noticable with string instruments. Vocals are also clearer and the bass has become more defined. I now get a more focused larger sound stage, it's the first time I've had the sence of instruments appearing to be beyond the speakers instead of from and inbetween them.

Jon, I noticed you mentioned not using your sub-woofer now. I noticed a big improvement in bass responce when using the CuSat50 interconnects. I could feel base through the floor without my subwoofer, it's something I didn't think the GX50 were capable of. I've had to reduce the cross-over setting on my sub, the improved bass depth and defenition from using the CuSat50 and Spatia seems to make the sub intergrate alot better, the sub is connected via high level speaker inputs so also benefits from the CuSat50.

Posted By: ellisdj
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 9:41pm
Madonna - Like a Prayer from the immaculate collection is an excellent song for this - sounds outside the speakers

You get a drummer off to the right at the start and throughout - then you get a choir round both sides of you a bit later on - excellent bit of producing to get that effect.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Jon, I noticed you mentioned not using your sub-woofer now. I noticed a big improvement in bass responce when using the CuSat50 interconnects. I could feel base through the floor without my subwoofer, it's something I didn't think the GX50 were capable of. I've had to reduce the cross-over setting on my sub, the improved bass depth and defenition from using the CuSat50 and Spatia seems to make the sub intergrate alot better, the sub is connected via high level speaker inputs so also benefits from the CuSat50.

Hi Gary, I've had a very similar experience to yours. I had my REL sub connected to the old amplifier (840A v2) outputs, using the REL's crossover to blend the sub in. With the Proprius amps I think there's an extra octave of deep bass from my GX100's, which is another reason why the Proprius amps are great hi-fi. I agree the interconnects make a vital difference, with the Cusat50 and Spatia delivering the goods.

My apologies for missing your question, I'm only a year late in replying!

Jon

-------------
Jon

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 8:53pm
Thanks everyone for the great and truly enticing reviews and findings, they have convinced enough to put in an order for a pair of Spatia cables + links without even bothering having them on loan first.
Seems my system just keeps on getting more and more GSP based Big smile

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:12pm
Good call Suede, I think the Spatia cables and links will bring you many years of happy listening.

If anyone wishes to loan a set of cables and links please pm me.

Picking up on my earlier post I have reconnected my REL subwoofer high level inputs to the Proprius outputs and spent some time balancing things for hi-fi listening. The REL crossover is now only a few clicks above its lowest frequency which gives a good idea how much oomph the Proprius amps get from my standmount speakers! It sounds great - rich soundstage with clearly positioned instruments and ambience in the room. Thank you Graham.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 11:30pm
Suede, I did the same, after having a Solo ULDE and a set of CuSat50 interconnects I bought the Spatia cables and links without an audition, I`ve not regretted it.

Jonn, I had a old REL Q40 years ago, I now have a BK XLS300 subwoofer. The Q40 and my BK have the same high level connection method i.e. 3 wires (red, yellow and black). The red goes to right positive speaker terminal, yellow to left positive speaker terminal and the black to any negative speaker terminal. Is this the same with your REL, did you have to do anything special when using the speaker terminals on the Proprius mono amps? I`m just curious, when funds allow I`d like to try the Proprius amps and big DAC in the future.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 7:56am
Hi Gary, my REL subwoofer (Q200E) has similar high level connections except it has a positive and negative connection for both the left and right amp outputs. I plugged these into the Proprius amp terminals as well as the speaker cables.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 5:17pm
Got my Spatias today and I've really enjoyed the first few hours of listening now! The separation of instruments and voices is uncanny at times and the sound is very pleasant and smooth just like with the cusat50 interconnects. I do however feel the absolute top is a bit reserved at times and the sound is just a tad dark. I'm going to try connecting the other way around to the HF terminals and link-bridging to LF tomorrow when I've better light and patience for jimmying out the tightly fitted tiny plugs blocking the speaker terminals. I haven't used banana plugs with these speakers before and only removed the LF terminal blocking plugs when setting everything up earlier. Almost cut my thumb up on the screwdriver doing so damn things.
I guess I'll have more to say about the cables when I've listened more to them but right off I can definitely say I'm impressed.

Edit: Listened for a few hours now, currently to a terrific US pressing of Crime of the Century. These cables are really incredibly revealing. Having a blast! Big smile

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 10:14pm
Hi Suede

If you have Monitor Audio GX speaker - wired in HF then linked to LF sounds a 1000 times better.
I found the speakers to sound as you described when wired into LF and linked to HF.

In fact I would have hated them if thats how they sounded and moved them on - I would guess a lot of people have done just that without realising

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 10:59pm
Hi
Actually I think they sound awfully good just as they are wired now but I will definitely try them the other way around too

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
It's always worth experimenting with those sort of options IMO.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:16am
Did you get the Spatia Links? I wouldn't have believed the difference they made if not for one of the guys on here talking John C into making some. Wink

Yes, Graham Slee missed out on that opportunity until told to try them. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:50am
Yes thank you and the Spatia links are excellent. Significant improvement in Hi-fi sound quality for under fifty quid.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Did you get the Spatia Links? I wouldn't have believed the difference they made if not for one of the guys on here talking John C into making some. Wink

Yes I have the speakers connected with Spatia links bridging the terminals. My speakers now sound better than I've ever heard them before! I haven't yet tried with the Spatias connected to the HF terminals but I'm thinking I should save that experiment until I'm more familiar with the current performance so that I can better judge any differences. It sounds great as it is now anyway.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:04pm
A question about the Spatia links, are the arrows on them supposed to point the same way or is the arrow on the black supposed to return to the cable?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

A question about the Spatia links, are the arrows on them supposed to point the same way or is the arrow on the black supposed to return to the cable?
Mine point the same way . . . don't know if this is right though? Confused Great sound, nevertheless! Big smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:57pm
Arrows in signal direction (away from source). Blue "touch paper" (you can just see it under the Spatia braid unless John C changed the design) to the amp end.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:06pm
The direction is actually clearly marked with white paper tape, just like on the cusats, on the Spatia cables I got. I only wondered about the direction of the links which are also clearly marked. Just like Bob I have them both pointing away from the cable towards the other terminal posts. I was just curious as to whether or not this is the intended way of connecting

Sorry, I realise I should have posted the question in another thread perhaps. Maybe a moderator could move the discussion from the review thread?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:58pm
Don't worry.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:03pm
I tried them initially both ways and settled on the way they point i.e. pointing the direction the cable is running as being the best - so I would follow the direction of the arrow Wink

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:40pm
After experimenting a little it seems I've found the way to connect most suited for my current B&W 685 loudspeakers. Diamond crossing or whatever it's called, connecting + to HF terminal and - to LF.
It opens up the sound a bit more at the top while keeping the coherency I thought it lost some of if connected to HF terminals alone.
Anyway, the Spatias are mighty impressive cables in every aspect! They are truly the Cusats of speaker cables; controlled, revealing and very pleasant to listen to. Or rather not having to listen to the sound of a cable or distortion mixed in with your music. This is all music.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 11:27pm
Thanks Suede.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 9:08pm
I think I will be giving that one a try next, thanks Suede - have you ever tried it Jon?

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 9:13pm
I haven't before and will do so tomorrow if I have a chance. Thanks again to Suede for suggesting it.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 10:09pm
If you're using the Spatia links I found the best was definitely to have them both leading in the same direction even when cross-connecting.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:22am

I am just testing now - I swapped the black around to be reversed but left the red as is
I will try with the black around the same way in a bit once listened a bit more

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:40am
Suede I thnk your on to something here - it's early so it low volume testing ATM but....
My sound has become more lively and engaging with even greater separation - initial impression WOW - don't get many of them
I just turned the black back to face the same way as the red and gone - that seemed to flatten the sound down

So for ref I have red +ve hf and link facing towards LF
Black -ve and link facing towards HF

Gonna listen for a bit then go back to normal and report back - interested hear Jons and Maybe Graham's thoughts as from my initial impression it's more than worth a try - could be placebo but we will see

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 2:04pm
Yes I agree with you. The cross-connection is interesting and I'm still comparing it. It
On the link directionality I think of the link as an extension of the main speaker cable from the first terminal, so the arrows should continue in the same direction and point to the second terminal. That sounds like what you have done Terry.

I appreciate the alternative concept of the "loop" from amp + to speaker terminal + and back from speaker - to amp -. This would suggest the arrows follow the "flow" but I think it sounds better as described in the previous paragraph.

Hope that all makes sense and interested in other experiences.

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 2:19pm
That is how I think about it as well so automatically reversed the link when I changed the black to -ve
I have it set this for my centre as well and going to watch a blu ray

It's one of those - I link the sound this way enough to not want to put it back to how it was - that is usually a very good sign I find. I am finding better bass, more focused sound especially midrange, clearer treble, one thing my system was lacking a bit I now know.
However it does now show up not so good recordings more - is that a good thing? Probably is as good recordings sound better.

Again I need to test more yet

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by ellisdj ellisdj wrote:

I am finding better bass, more focused sound especially midrange, clearer treble, one thing my system was lacking a bit I now know.
However it does now show up not so good recordings more - is that a good thing? Probably is as good recordings sound better.

I had the exact same findings, I think it's a good mark that it now shows up lesser records more although it is of course a bummer in a way. Still with the good records now sounding better it just means the speakers are more transparent than they were I take it.

Posted By: shellac0778
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:32pm
The spatia speaker cables arrived late last night after a bit of a journey to just about every remote cottage and farm in these parts.  They finally ended up with a local farmer who didn't have a clue what they were for and was considering converting them into a pair of jump leads! lol. Fortunately I bumped into him before he had a chance to wreck them.
I put them in my system last night and have been listening to them for several hours this morning - and they are good. I have to admit I was very sceptical but have been very pleasantly surprised. They impart a clarity and energy and as everyone else has experienced, the soundstage undergoes a wonderful improvement. In comparison my normal cables sound dull and constricted.
My only caveat is that "discrete blue tape". It's so bloody discrete I have yet to discover it!

-------------
www.firestopsafety.co.uk

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 1:18pm
Make sure you do discover it as if you have the cables the wrong way round you are not getting the full sound quality - the blue tape end needs to go the amp end

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm

I had to go over the thing inch by inch using a torch to find it!

Although my ears had already suggested I had them wrong way round. Smile

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 2:28pm
I think I may have overdone my guidance to Kevin regarding the "discrete" blue tape. I also needed to use a torch to find it when I tried the Spatia cables, it is as subtle as the cables are sublime. I'm not sure the cables would be as directional when misused as jump leads by your neighbour! And I feel obliged to ask "Do you think he's the farmer?"

Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 2:45pm
I honestly found them easy - sounds like doing it in the dark using a torch is not the way to go ...... Lol

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by shellac0778 shellac0778 wrote:

They finally ended up with a local farmer who didn't have a clue what they were for and was considering converting them into a pair of jump leads!

I'm pleased you rescued them...  Sick

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 12:24pm
I've found the discrete blue tape!!!! Had to take them outside into the sunshine and there they were, about 6 inches from the ends......and of course I had them reversed so back to listening trial!
Is there a reason why they are so discrete?

-------------
www.firestopsafety.co.uk

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 12:48pm

Puts on pedant hat - I think the term is discreet rather than discrete - hat off.

quote from product description "Dielectric quality could also be affected by lay direction and the Spatia subtly suggests to the user the direction of best subjective results under its braided covering. The unobtrusive blue marker goes to the amp end."

There are some rather outspoken self appointed guardians of public knowledge who might consider any such notion as "snake oil" and rudely and vehemently attempt to thrust their views on any who might be more of a mind to decide for themselves.  I believe that is the main reason for their lack of obviousness, to avoid such accusations.

That has not been entirely successful Wink

Do note the rather equivocal manner in which this is phrased, I find a difference (and in fact suspected it immediately) - whether you will or not I cannot say.

Graham's description of the difference earlier in this thread equates to mine.

Let us know what you think.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Puts on pedant hat - I think the term is discreet rather than discrete - hat off.

this could go some way to explain the difficulties I had in locating them!

I've just teamed them up with an Era Gold V which has yet to burn in but even so.....wow. Course, now I'm unsure as to whether it's the cables or the phono stage  doh

-------------
www.firestopsafety.co.uk

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 10:59am

Course, now I'm unsure as to whether it's the cables or the phono stage  doh
It's both! Wink

As long as the end result is good . . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:59pm

Course, now I'm unsure as to whether it's the cables or the phono stage  doh
It's both! Wink

As long as the end result is good . . . .

The Era has been burning in for just over 4 days and the combination of the spatia cables and phono stage is very impressive. There just seems to be so much more room with individual instruments and voices occupying their own space - often well outside the confines of the speakers themselves. I am just thrilled to bits. The difference between the Chinese valve phono stage and Graham's offering really is night and day. Can't imagine what the Reflex M must offer.......in fact I'm trying my hardest not to!

-------------
www.firestopsafety.co.uk

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 5:35pm
Above all you're hearing more of the music. Glad the Era Gold V and Spatia are working so well in your system.
Jon

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:32am

There just seems to be so much more room with individual instruments and voices occupying their own space - often well outside the confines of the speakers themselves. I am just thrilled to bits. 
This echoes my experience, and my reaction after connecting the Spatia. I'd liken it to finding out I'd been driving a car with the handbrake on, and then taking it off and marvelling at the performance that was unleashed. Smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:36am

I'd liken it to finding out I'd been driving a car with the handbrake on, and then taking it off and marvelling at the performance that was unleashed.
How would you know, Bob? The Moggie Thou' isn't exactly famous for performance.

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I'd liken it to finding out I'd been driving a car with the handbrake on, and then taking it off and marvelling at the performance that was unleashed.
How would you know, Bob? The Moggie Thou' isn't exactly famous for performance.
LOL

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:25am

I seem to recall threatening to post my impressions on these some time ago.

Short version, I bought my own pair.

They proved better than what I had been using and I would not disagree on their strengths as outlined by others earlier in this thread.

Well named I think, they do bring a certain spaciousness to the sound, along with plenty of body, inner detail and good dynamics - going back to my previous cables after running these for a period was an audibly retrograde step and convinced me to invest in my own pair.

Date Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:33am
Clap 

Good news Tony! I'm loving the way the Spatia perform for me. I was always very sceptical about claims for cables (too much snake oil around LOL), but the Spatia's improvement on my system was far from subtle . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: CageyH
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:12pm
Are you Spatia guys still happy with your purchase?
I may see if Suggs has some 1m lengths and links to try against my Van Damme cables after I have received and run in my amps.

-------------
Kevin

European loan coordinator

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 11:16pm
I've had Spatia cables and links since December 2012, first on a pair of Monitor Audio GX50 and now on a pair of PMC Twenty 23. I'm still very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

-------------
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 1:38am

Kevin,

definitely give them a try.  

I have upgraded my amp, preamp & TT/cartridge since I bought my pair and find no inclination to look further for speaker cable, they continue to deliver with every other improvement.

-------------
Tony G

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:48am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Are you Spatia guys still happy with your purchase?
I may see if Suggs has some 1m lengths and links to try against my Van Damme cables after I have received and run in my amps.

Just let me know when you're ready Kevin Smile

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:03am
Thanks Derek,I will do.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:07pm
I have upgraded my system no end since buying the spatia (pretty much non stop) - I think I was the first owner of them and the links - think my idea

I still use them and the links and the lotus for analogue and digital (brilliant for spdif digital)

They are very good - in all honesty there have been times where I thought the spatia might be a weak link, the cause of a certain aspect of the sound that wasnt totally satisfying - then I have changed something else and it has shown me one very important thing

They are very honest cables - they are giving you what you give them - that is praise in itself in my book and they have not been the weak link in my chain at all

A friend recently demo'd my system - he commented / praised the cables and he has some very good and expensive XLO limited editions.

I have regularly recommended people to try them - they are very good

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 2:49pm
I have finally managed to get my hands on the loaners today.
How long does it take got the Spatia to be at their best?
I like what I am hearing at the moment, but I need to do a back to back before I can say anything meaningful about the cables.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:13pm
A day or so of use if they are pre-used/previously borrowed, longer if they are new and need burn-in.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 7:42am
Do you think it is essential to rewire the speaker internally to get the best sound?
I see that Graham lists Spatia wire for this, which may be just what I need if I go ahead with my FH3 build.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:32am
Funnily enough I rewired my FH3s yesterday, and I wish I'd done it lot sooner.
So in direct reply to your question the answer is yes, and in a speaker with no crossover it's possibly of greater significance, as your speaker is almost directly connected across the power amp terminals.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:41am
Did you use Spatia cable?
If so, are the shanks marked with direction markers?

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:51am
Nothing so exotic - I used Doncaster Cables flex 0.75mm2
WRT to your advise elsewhere, I'd be suspicious of the TQ stuff - I've heard a couple of applications where it actually strangled the sound of the systems it was used in.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:39am

... are the shanks marked with direction markers?

Yes

-------------

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 9:46am
I rewired my speakers with Spatia last year and can confirm that this made an audible improvement to the overall naturalness of the sound.  All cabling from source components to speaker drivers is Cusat, Lautus or Spatia. These are the best cables I have used and I have no need to think about further upgrades

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:13pm
Echoing Andrew's successful efforts and going a bit further, I rewired my Monitor Audio GX L/R and centre, and most of my Mordaunt Short Mezzo surround speakers. If you can solder this is a cheap but significant upgrade IMO. I think it has made the MA's mid/bass cone and HF ribbon blend even better, and over-enhanced songs are more bearable. It's reversible if you take notes/photos and keep what you took out.

I've got some more speaker internal rewires to do so will order more of the Spatia hook-up wire. When I get my own Majestic DAC (woo woo!) it will serve as my preamp with balanced connections to my Proprius amps, so I may put the amps on or under each speaker and use Spatia link wire for the remaining very short length needed, perhaps connecting directly to the crossover PCBs.

If you're used to silver plated speaker cables, cables with shielding, woven bundles of thin wires, the initial impact of Spatia cables is losing the "detailed treble" (pick a marketing term). Stay and listen to an album and you'll hear the music fill the room. The HF detail is still there and you'll find it's actually more detailed with hi-hats, cymbals, strings, etc. being easily heard along with the rest of the instruments, because the midrange and bass are just as well served by Spatia.

TBF I think TQ got a lot right (I own some of these cables) but the Spatia does cable memory/timing/relative phase and more for less money. If you wish please borrow a pair of Spatia cables and make your own mind up.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm
I have a pair of the loan cables. They are still relatively new, so not yet at their best. If I go for the FH3. I won't need terminated speaker cables.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:00pm
I have a pair of 2m Spatia cables for sale. I'm staying with my AKG K1000 so I no longer need the Spatia, as the terminations for them are different.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:06pm
If they were half the length, I would be interested.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:08pm
Gah, that's frustrating. They are the kind of item that will take months to sell. I'm pleased with their performance. I just want to minimise cabling. Smile

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:10pm
You should try a few other forums as well.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 6:36am
One week on with the Spatia.
The biggest difference between these and my current cables seems to be the soundstage.
It's more open. There is a better 3D image with the Spatia, and I am often left wondering how sounds can seem to be coming from beyond my speakers.
I am going to plug my cables back in over the weekend just to check it's not my imagination.

It will be an interesting test, as if I have a compelling urge to put the Spatia back in, that will tell me all I need to know.
I would be interested to know what cables you guys have all replaced with Spatia, and what the difference you found between the two were.

-------------
Kevin

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:17pm
It's not my imagination....
My old cable sounds good, but the Spatia has something extra.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:56pm

but the Saptia has something extra.

But how did the SPATIA sound
Sorry couldn't resist

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

but the Saptia has something extra.

But how did the SPATIA sound
Sorry couldn't resist

It's not often that you see the grammar police forgetting to use punctuation.

-------------
Kevin

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:20pm
Touche

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Print Page | Close Window