Forum Description: Technical Q&A, hints and tips
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1143
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 2:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cleaning the stylus
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Cleaning the stylus
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 10:57am
Any one tried this method of cleaning their stylus?

http://www.high-endaudio.com/Magic.html - http://www.high-endaudio.com/Magic.html

Adrian.

Replies:
Posted By: Dave Friday
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 2:51pm
Very Interesting,I've been using the sandpaper method on a Ortofon mc15 for years now,this works for a few sides then the stylus gets clogged up again[the Ortofon is nearly 20 years old!].

Posted By: suede
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:39pm
I have tried this and use it now and then, but I haven't tried any solvents or other more specific stylus cleaning products so I can't make a comparision.
What I can say is that it works fine for me, after a few dips you can see the bright sparkle of the diamond again. However I have read that there is a slight risk of tearing the stylus off from the cantilever if you do it wrong.

Johan

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:50pm
Audiotechnica made a ultrasonic thingi that you lowerd the stylus onto.
I never used one though.

Posted By: tg [RIP]
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:11pm

Cleaning the stylus is a good thing but wasted if you do not also clean your records, either with a RCM or by some manual wet cleaning method.

I do this even with new pressings and it always pays dividends.

Friends have been very pleasantly surprised when I have thoroughly cleaned their much played and cherished 30 and 40 year old records and then treated them with Last preservative.

Rudolf Bruil provides much good advice on record care on his "soundfountain" website - well worth a read.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:02am
Morning all,I have a lot of problems with dust and lint [we live near a dry river bed +3 cats n a dog].
I've tried using a brush on the stylus but it does'nt clean the lint off.
Yesterday i tried lowering the stylus onto a dampened velvet record cleaning brush,the stylus came out completely clean!!.
Waiting for some "magic eraser"

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:15am
There seems to be some good things said about this product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylus-Cleaner-New-Safe-Easy-Use-Polymer-19-/260730928954?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb4c63f3a - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylus-Cleaner-New-Safe-Easy-Use-Polymer-19-/260730928954?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb4c63f3a

Here is a review.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/vp_dustbuster_e.html

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 7:22pm
If it's any help, I agree with most of the above. I use an RCM (Okki Nokki) and have a 1980's ultrasonic stylus cleaner (Ortofon electro stylus cleaner) I use very month or so. And I use one of those antistatic guns as I turn the record over and before popping it back into a (anti-static) sleeve. I use a carbon fibre stylus brush and the audio-technica cleaning fluid (works well on the CF brush) at the end of the session, and in between records if they sound mucky.

Records can sound wonderful, dirt doesn't.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: wolfman
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 6:34pm
Also if you have a MC cart it is a good idea to demagnetize it on a regular bases. If you have a MM cart DO NOT demagnetize your cart I use a Aesthetix demagnetizer and it works very well Cheers Doug

Posted By: morris_minor
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 7:20pm
Does anyone else here dip their stylus (carefully!) into a little pad of "Magic Eraser" ? The little specks of dirt left on the white pad seem to show it's effective.

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:49pm
For cleaning the records i use one of these and think it is superb.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nagaoka-CL-1000-Rolling-Record-Cleaner-/290767481573?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b317aae5#ht_2970wt_962

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:51pm
For cleaning the stylus I recently got one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZERODUST-ONZOW-JAPAN-STYLUS-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-SHIPPING-FROM-EU-COUNTRY-/230844902009?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bf6daa79#ht_1601wt_689
So far I'm pleased with it.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:02am
Wow! The Nagaoka roller's become expensive! I remember it the first time round . . .  ICL1P - do you find there's any residue left on the records? (I presume not, but . . . ).

And I used the Onzow gloopy pad until I discovered the Magic Eraser . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:39am
Mine is actually the Nagaoka 152 and not the new 1000; it cost me a tad under £50. I thought that was expensive enough!! No residues that I'm aware of.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Mine is actually the Nagaoka 152 and not the new 1000; it cost me a tad under £50. I thought that was expensive enough!! No residues that I'm aware of.

Thanks for this. I have to say I am quite tempted . . Embarrassed

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Justin122
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:50pm
Usually just use a brush from my vinyl velvet.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thanks for this. I have to say I am quite tempted . . Embarrassed
There are two much, much cheaper options that I've seen on Analogue Seduction's website.  I'll get one for The Girl sometime.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 9:23pm
I sense that this thread has spread so my reply to the OP may be too late. I use a VP Dust Buster, less messy than the AT liquid and brush I used before.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: RichieCactus
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
+1 for the Onzow (goop).  Works great for me - but my stylus doesn't seem to collect gunk.  Bought it directly from Japan - saved 15% or so.

My newly bought records seem to have more static than my older ones, so probably will look into one of those zapper guns although they seem very expensive.

Rgds
RC

-------------
Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L

Posted By: Old skool
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:42am
I have an old Audio Technica electro brush/pad thingy. 
Been using a drop of isopropyl alcohol on there. 
Seems to work great although I have been warned that the alcohol could dissolve the glue that binds the stylus to the cantalever 😱

-------------
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:19pm
"I sense that this thread has spread so my reply to the OP may be too late. I use a VP Dust Buster, less messy than the AT liquid and brush I used before"

And I also have one of those 'ultrasonic' cleaners from the 1980's which I use now and then.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: chapsjon
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:38am
An alternative to the Onzoe that's about 30% cheaper and available on Amazon is Momila. Also from Japan and from what I can tell may be the same product under another name. If not exactly the same, it is very close. If you have a lot of build up, you may need to use something more, but for standard dust it quickly and effectively removes these from the stylus without danger. Just simply hold it under the tonearm and gently "drop" the stylus on top of "goop" from a few mm above. Lift off and stylus is clean. Dirt and dust remain behind.

Posted By: shashirao
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:15pm
Over the years I tried everything from the brushes to the goop to the ultrasonic stylus cleaners.

I have settled down to the basics: The MoFi stylus cleaner brush, and liquid. Looks and works like a nail polish brush. The liquid is expensive hence I do not mind using one of my vinyl cleaners. It if safe to clean vinyls, it is safe to clean the stylus.

I agree with the gentleman who suggested regular cleaning of the vinyls. I use the ultrasonic bath once every few years for my collection. Depends on how much I play those vinyls.

I have a routine, after playing each side, use the MoFi brush to clean the stylus regardless. Check with the magnifier for any dust or fuzz.

As for the rest, here are the reasons I stopped using them:

1. The Japanese goop. I did not find it very effective, especially in tacking fuzz. Found myself wasting time on multiple cleanings....if fuzz remain, dip again. I archive vinyls so usually have a vinyl on the platter - find it cumbersome to placing the goop on the vinyl.

2. The ultrasonic cleaner - found this more effective than the goop - really cleans the stylus well in a single go. However placing that on the turntable/vinyl after each side become tiresome. For anyone suspecting OCD tendencies behind cleaning the stylus after each side, you are correct. I do not want to take chances in my archival process with sloppy cleaning habits.

So it back to the basics, a quick brush works. The brush is thin enough to do a thorough job, a couple of strokes back to front of the stylus makes it shiny. I can also clean any dust I see on the cartridge body.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:28pm
FWIW I have a similar approach using a goop style cleaner after each side (which does a good job IMO)  and then a solvent/brush clean every few weeks. And yes an ultrasonic clean very couple of months on my more frequently played albums. So a very similar approach!

-------------
Jon

Posted By: shashirao
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:49pm
Yes - the goop and ultrasonic are effective and may come back in regular use when I get into listening mode. With my focus on archival, I end up playing 12-15 vinyls each day...hence the need for something simple, quick and reliable.

Posted By: Pike on the fly
Date Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:11pm
I use this  https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-stylus-cleaning-putty/ - https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-stylus-cleaning-putty/  about once a week, cheap & works. Not sure if its the same as anything mentioned previously, but just branded differently?
I also tend to brush after each side.

Posted By: lfc jon
Date Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:44pm
I have Onzow Zerodust and Vinyl Passion, Dustbuster both i find good the VP is cheaper but the Onzow you can see the dirt better. 
Plus clean my records with the Super Exstatic carbon fibre & velvet cleaning pad before playing my records

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:19pm
Just finished an experiment to see what cleaned the stylus better a brush or my Onzow Zerodust. The result was the brush was better than the Onzow on most dirt but not as good on the more sticker stuff that I seem to collect on my stylus, this may have something to with me being a vaper. But saying that the Onzow is a lot quicker and does give a good clean of the stylus.
After this experiment I've come to the conclusion that from now on I will use both but will use the Onzow more often this being after few days and the brush once a week. I am not a lover of using the brush as I am a bit heavy handed, but needs must.

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:50pm
I use a Dustbuster after each side, but gently.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:57pm
I'm saying after a few days but that is I don't always play records as I have a lot of music on CD. I do use a record brush before playing a record (both sides) and I store my vinyl right back in the sleeve after playing them (98% of the time) I'm always surprised how much dirt there is after brushing even though most times I put the records back in their sleeves right after playing them. It just goes to show how much dust is in the air. I should get into the habit of giving the record a clean before I put them back in the sleeve. I do clean the stylus after each side when I 1st get a new record but again I should get into the habit in giving them a wet clean before playing. 

-------------
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Posted By: Old skool
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:40pm
beware the VP DustBuster gel type cleaners. 

They break down after a while & start depositing crud on the stylus 

Avoid 

-------------
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....

Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:54pm
Try the Audio Technica AT6012 record cleaning kit.
I have one, and find that my stylus doesn't accumulate anything like the same amount of crud as it used to.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/anti-static-solutions-cleaning-cloths/audio-technica-at6012-record-care-pack.html - https://www.analogueseduction.net/anti-static-solutions-cleaning-cloths/audio-technica-at6012-record-care-pack.html

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
Tim
I have had this type cleaner for years now and have not found this to be the case. I do wash it from
time to time so may be this has prolong the stuff I use. the Onzow I use I have had it for about 3 years now and have not had a problem with it. I'm not saying it will last for ever.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:35pm
Echoing Jon's comments I clean my Dustbusters when there are any fluff spots, that is to say the stuff they clean off my styluses. Not seen or heard any gunk build up and I've used them for a few years now.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:01pm
I clean my dustbuster  under warm running warm water when there is a bit of crud on them.

But I also replace ever couple of years as well , I am  sure the VP guy suggested every year when I asked it asked him about it at a HiFi show.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:32pm
Thanks Steve for that info, I also have Dustduster but I don't use it as I find the Onzow shows up the dirt better. I will check it out as I have had it for about 2 years now, (maybe more) I do have a headband magnifying glass so it should be easy to see if anything comes off it and sticks to the stylus.
By the way this magnifying glass as been a god send and not just to set up and check the cart.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:03pm
I was just thinking what we have to put up with to play vinyl. the setting up, the cleaning, the storing of the records and many more things, you can see why people like digital music (plug it and play) but I still prefer vinyl closely followed by CDs. yes I do know they are digital!!! I just can't get into streaming. I did try out computer audio but have given up on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 7:52pm
Just had a look online at the price of Onzow and could not believe the price of it, it's now £74 and there is a new version of it called labo and that was going for between £76 - £124. Don't know what the difference between the two is? All I could see was that it came in different colours but in the same box. This to me is a rip off, VP was half the price of the old version of O Z. I have said this before when it comes to vinyl record stuff it's all very expensive for what it is.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Yikes!

Whilst I agree about the effort involved with playing vinyl, I think it is part of the experience as much as the sound of the music and the foot-sized photos.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 9:58pm
Totally agree.
I was just saying why some people would like digital. To me vinyl is more involving.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:24pm
Ageed. Digital is convenient but vinyl is worth the effort.

-------------
Jon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net