FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Power spike speaker damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power spike speaker damage
    Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:57pm
Two days ago I suffered a day-long power outage and since my small speakers (active Ruark MR1) haven't sounded the same. The treble has competely lost its crispness and they sound boomy and dull. Is there anything to be done at all, are the speakers lost or may they recover with time?
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 2:19pm
Did a power spike event take place? It might be just that they need some "recovery" time after being powered down. Did they sound like that from new?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 8:28pm
I'm just guessing the power spike but they sound very different now than before. They do sound a bit off in a similar way to brand new ones, only a lot boomier and with a markedly receeded treble or seemingly cut off at the very top end. They have been powered on since late Thursday evening which ought to be enough to get them back to form. They automatically switch off to standby when not playing and usually sound pretty alright within an hours playing. Now they just sound a lot boomier and sloppy-bassed, almost as if the phase was wrong.
Just striking me, could it be that whatever the electricians did when they dug up the street outside the other day the polarity has now been switched somehow by crossing wires? Could such a thing happen and would it even work?
It's too late to play music loud enough now, having a family with young kids downstairs, but I'll try the figure 8 switching thing on the PSU tomorrow and see.
Johan
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:42pm
Live and neutral won't have been swapped over. Maybe on a different supply/phase now? Is it definitely the speakers and not the source?
Aren't ears brilliant
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:04pm
Mad as it seems doing the figure eight lead 180 degree swap seems to have done the trick, well almost at least. I still maintain that they sounded a bit more articulate and with a nicer high treble before the power cut happened but that may well just be in my mind. Anyway they're not really HiFi to begin with but still perform better than I would have thought, even now. Thanks for the input Graham and James!
Johan
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 3:52pm
If you have live and neutral the wrong way round on your incoming electrical supply then you have a potentially lethal situation. So I'm with JamesD on this - no, it wouldn't have been done. It's routine to power different properties, sometimes even in the same street, from a different phase though.

suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:21am
Yeah they probably just swapped me over to a different phase feed then. It's kinda strange how much of a difference this can make
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic