FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Plug types on speaker wires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plug types on speaker wires
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:02pm
Banana plugs, spades or simply bare wire? Does anyone have any good advice or experience to share on this subject? Which is best or does it even matter? And are there important things to keep in mind? Like, if I only use bare wire ends should I not tighten the screws too hard or should I try to tighten them as hard as I can, must both ends of the cable be the same type etc.?
I'd be much obliged for any piece of advice! Smile

Johan

Edited by suede - 22 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:54pm

In very general terms, IIRC, in years past it was determined, in respect particularly of computer mainframe wiring that "wirewrap" connection was superior to solder connection.

Whilst this may have had an element of convenience in maintenance included, I believe that I have elsewhere seen recommendation that direct "conductor to conductor" connection is electrically superior to a "solder bridge", eg that the two conductors should be in physical contact and that the solder should merely maintain that contact rather than provide an electrical path itself.

How audible any of this might be within one's own system is altogether another matter.

Personally I use bare wire connections both ends but have used both spades and banana plugs.

I suspect that the connection of those terminals to the wire might be more important than the type of connector (given appropriate materials and construction of those) and that crimping with appropriate pressure/tools might be the best option with solder as a fall back with the above observation considered.

In general use, periodic cleaning of the contact surfaces with something like Caig Deoxit has been beneficial, I also use the same cleaner on I/C plugs and sockets.

suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 2:42am
Guess it is as one might have suspected then that the simpler the chain the better and special plugs are mainly practical.
Thanks for the reply!

Johan
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:03am

I think you have pretty well summarised my feelings about it - others may think differently.

I remember reading of a few avid DIY fans who when building their own speakers (usually single driver ones) will run the wiring direct from the speaker to the amp terminals in one run.

I think I recall another hardwiring his phono cartridge from cartridge pins through to the board of his phono stage.

A little less convenience than I prefer, but one has to admire the dedication Wink

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:16pm
If it helps I screw or crimp wires in the plugs (occasionally spades) at both ends and avoid soldering these. It makes life easier than twisting the cabe ends and clamping in terminals. I have tried continuous cables from the driver or crossover to amp but strain relief and air sealing at the cabinet is a hassle.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
bluey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:31am
If you move your equipment around a lot then use spades or banana plugs; if however nothing is going to be moved use bare wire. Wink
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:49pm
I sometimes get an urge to shift them an inch or so thinking this will finally be the definitive placement but I don't move them so I guess I'm good with just bare wire. It's just that the cables are rather heavy and the speakers stand almost 5 feet up so I worry that the total weight dragging down on them might strain on the bare conductor surface. This is also forcing me to screw them rather tightly done which I don't know, bu maybe could alter the currents signature?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic