FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Pioneer A400 and my upgrade-itus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:34pm
I have a Goldring 1042 which I've used with a few different phono preamps including the Reflex M and Reflex M + PSU. 

I never found it to be lacking in bass with any phono preamp, though the Reflex was superior in bass reproduction to other phono preamps I tried with this cartridge. 

What is the mass of the P******t 9CC arm? IME and according to Goldring, this cartridge has a fairly stiff suspension and needs enough weight on the arm to perform as intended. The resonant frequency of the cart/arm can be checked with a test record. 

Agree that the 1042 is very sensitive to set up in general. I have the VTA on mine set with the cart parallel to the record per Goldring's instructions. It did not perform well with "tail up" IME, though YMMV on that, and you can experiment if you have decent VTA adjustability on your arm. You can also experiment with VTF settings. I found the cartridge performed closer to the higher end of the spec'd tracking range. I set mine at 1.9-2.0g rather than 1.7g. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SnrDidcot SnrDidcot wrote:

Hi Folks after checking the VTF and the VTA and my own sanity I discovered that the lack of bass wasn't anything to do with the cartridge. So what was it ? Well, it was my fault first and foremost in that on getting my GS SE2 I hadn't read the bit about it being designed to be left permanently on , basically I'd been switching it on and off with all the other items. Now I leave the phono amp on and the BASS IS BACK with a vengeance. 

Glad you got your bass back. 
SnrDidcot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnrDidcot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:05pm
Ok having finally flogged ( sold ) my old P_____t phono amp on evilbay I used the realised funds to purchase some nice quality Atlas Element Integra RCA-RCA cables and WOW! again a major step up in performance the bass is both leaner and yet more substantial. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic