FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono Stage with balance control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phono Stage with balance control
    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:38pm

Edited by JonThurston - 15 Jul 2021 at 4:25pm
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:29pm
Hello jon lots of lps I own sound off balance but its down to the production mostly 
Sometimes you might have say a guitar riff that is only on one channel which makes it sound off balance 
How old is your stylus as they tend to do daft things to the sound before they die 
Regarding balance control its just another obstacle in the signal path which degrades sound 
Cheers paul
paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:17pm
Hi Paul - thanks for your reply & I hope you're keeping well?

In terms of stylus, I've noticed this phenomenon of a slightly off soundstage across several cartridges. The Benz I'm using at the moment has about 150 hours on it. I'm fastidious about set up: Mint Tractor and the HiFi News Test Record, and the arm on my Technics is adjustable in all planes.

In terms of recordings, I don't mean to construe balance as where an instrument is placed in the mix. To give you an example, I've got a NM 'Avalon' (UK 1982) and the 2017 half-speed remaster. Both, I assume, are mastered from the same mixdown, yet the 2017 noticeably shifts the centre of the soundstage to the right. I mention this as an example of ruling out set-up or hearing as the cause.

Aside from that, with headphones, even with digital sources ('Round About Midnight' in mono, for example), I'm at an age where I can detect a very slight loss of 'musical information' in my right ear. Not a gross hearing loss, not overall volume, but as though a bit is missing at certain frequencies. Never bothers me with speakers, but it can get distracting with headphones. Becomes really annoying if the source - like the 2017 'Avalon' - seems unduly tilted itself!

That's what led me to experiment with headphone amplifiers with balance control (Pathos Aurium, SPL Phonitor 2). In both cases - as you suggest - a noticeable degradation: transients go soft, the placement of individual mix elements lose definition.

This is what led me wonder about whether balance control is less destructive at different points in the amplification chain? Also, don't dual mono amps (Proprius) by their nature operate volume as balance control?

I also assume not all balance control circuits are made equally well? And if the circuit of the phono stage were dual mono, would this help the implementation of less destructive balance controls?

Maybe the Big Accession that's coming will answer some of these questions....?

Edited by JonThurston - 15 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:02pm
Could be an azimuth or anti skate issue jon 
Do you set anti skate on the test record 
I set mine by ear as there is no resistance on the test record so when stylus is in the groove its got a tiny bit of resistance 
Worth a shot

paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:11pm
Hi Paul

thanks for the tips.

I suspect if it was azimuth/anti-skate then the soundstage would be off - in a consistent direction and extent - with every record I played.

On HiFi News Record I use the 300hz test tracks on Side B (tracks 1, 4, and 8) to get a ballpark anti-skate dialled in averaged across the side, then invariably dial it back by ear to account for less consistent modulation in the real world. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic