FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono stage to beat a quad vena

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ossy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ossy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phono stage to beat a quad vena
    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm
Hello everybody. I have just joined as am thinking of buying a graham slee phono stage. Just have to decide on which one!

Am currently using a rega p3/exact into the phono stage in my quad vena 2 amp (speakers are ruark sabres). The phono in the amp is pretty good but am sure I can improve on this. 

What amp would you recommend that would give a tangible improvement on the quad’s phono stage?

Many thanks!
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm
You may try a Reflex M or an Accession M on the loaner program to listen in your home.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:57pm
David, I second Bruce's excellent suggestion and recommend a PM to John_C who runs the UK loan scheme.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:22pm
Having spotted the relays in the preamp section of the board, it may be a matter of the aux inputs sharing the same circuit as the phono preamp, like it used to be done for economy years ago. If that is so, I doubt you will witness any difference.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:37pm
For whatever it is worth...my AURA Evolution II AMP(British design) has a vertical SMD 2stage phono mudule surrounded with tiny ceramic capacitors for i am told ....interference ......but I can assure the Genera with it's own dedicated power 2Vdc Power supply after 30 or so hours provides a very very significantly deeper musicality experience ......And Yet AURA market their Amp on the basis of it's great Phono module .....but an external Unit with dedicated power supply proves different 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Having spotted the relays in the preamp section of the board, it may be a matter of the aux inputs sharing the same circuit as the phono preamp, like it used to be done for economy years ago. If that is so, I doubt you will witness any difference.

Yikes, so in other words anything plugged into the aux inputs will have the sound compromised? Reminds of the issue with budget turntables that have built in phono preamps where you can't get certain components out of the signal path even if you turn off the built-in unit. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:29pm
It may not be compromised but it was common to utilize the same gain stage for all preamp functions. Leak used it in the Stereo and Delta series, the Teleton by Mitsubishi (below) used it, and most valve preamps - and stacks more. It makes a compact circuit in a busy amp.

commercial phono-line preamp

Here, a spare wafer on the input switch is used to change the NFB between line and RIAA stages. Newer amps often use relays instead.

Going down the never ending comparisons path we could end up with a situation arising where a Crossley beats an Accession LOL

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Feb 2021 at 8:29pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic