FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A REAL Hi-Fi Owners' Club Forum With REAL Members and a Loaner Program to Prove It!

A rule of fairness:
When other manufacturers websites allow people to recommend our products instead of their own then people can do the same here, but please not before! Such posts will be deleted.
See terms and conditions here...

Phono Preamp Pt2: MC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Pushing the boundaries

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 7:29am
The problem with the aforementioned designs is they easily pick-up interference - they do not have the immunity currently demanded by legislation.

It was noticed that on the introduction of RoHS compatible components that the incidence of interference increased. This might have been coincidental with an increased proliferation in radio frequency devices, and there are indications of relaxation of rado frequency legislation about that time.

However, I am convinced that the "removal of (alleged) harmful substances" (RoHS) had some unknown effect, because the sound quality also changed, leading me to rework virtually everything I had designed prior to that date. It did happen and I have the "scars" to prove it! The sound quality became quite dry and brittle, very much like tin-only soldered joints look and feel! And so I do believe the materials used have an influence on the sound, but I am at a loss to describe why.

But back on track, those circuits neither perform well interference wise or sonically today.

There are only two things to stop you being a success in life and they're both called Google - Notions are not solutions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic