FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono pre amp advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nmafonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmafonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phono pre amp advice
    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:13am
Hello,
I´m a new member and this is my first post.Smile
The search for a quality phono pre amp brought me here.
I recently re-build my entire system and I´m now looking for a phono stage to complete it.
I heard about Graham Slee quality long ago but hed never heard any of it products. So, I would like to have your opinions and recommendations for a MM phono pre amp that better suit my system and can extract the most from my turntable/cart.
I have a Rega Planar6 with Goldring1042 cart and Hegel Rost amp.
Thanks in advance

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:51am
Welcome to the Forum Nuno.
I would think that the GA 2SE, ERA gold or Reflex M would all bring a good listening experience. Which to choose depends on your budget and how they sound to you.
Did you know that you can listen to them at home, courtesy of the loan scheme? Perhaps start by loaning a phono stage that suits your budget.
To arrange a loan contact your area loan coordinator. I'm not sure what area you're in so I can't tell you who that is.
Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Blade View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:58pm
Hi,
Ive had my Gram Amp 2 SE with PSU1 for 6 months now and I am really impressed.

I have a modded Rega Planar 3 with Funk Firm FXR-2 tonearm and a AT VM750SH cart.

Not tried the others GS products yet but planning a move to the Proprius amps soon.

Glenn

L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
Hi Nuno
I have the Reflex M with the PSU1 power supply, great phono amp.
Can you give us your budget so we can give you a better I dear of what you should go for. that said the Gram Amp 2 SE would be a good starting point. That is what I started with and I was happy with it until I got the up grade bug, I think with the turntable you have the SE would be the best one to go for to start off with, you can then add the PSU1 

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
nmafonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmafonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:14pm
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your advice.
I know about the loan program. I´m from Portugal.
Cheers

nmafonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmafonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:27pm
Thank you for your precious advices.
My budget is about €600.
I already tried some budget options around the £250 mark (Musical Fidelity LX2 LPS and Cambridge Alva Duo) but none convinced me. I´m looking for a more full bodied sound and more drive.
I don´t know too much about technical specs, anyone know the difference betwwen the  ERA gold and the Reflex M? Are they similar?

Nuno
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by nmafonso nmafonso wrote:

I don´t know too much about technical specs, anyone know the difference betwwen the  ERA gold and the Reflex M? Are they similar?

Nuno

The Reflex M might be considered an updated ERA Gold, the Reflex is perhaps a little less "warm" than the ERA Gold with a little more extension at the frequency extremes. It really comes down to personal taste, I prefer my Reflex M with the AT cartridges I use.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic