New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Persistent brief, irregular interruptions in music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Persistent brief, irregular interruptions in music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persistent brief, irregular interruptions in music
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 12:49pm
Prelim note:  I posted this a month ago on Hydrogen Audio under the 'Misc' heading but didn't get any replies.  Perhaps it's unanswerable, but I'm trying again here.  I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place but I didn't want to put it in 'Off topic'.  Any ideas to help me sort this out?  Thanks in advance if so.  -- Brian
++++++++++++++++++++

Hi, Apologies in advance for being a bit vague describing this. I'm using HP Pavilion desktop Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz RAM 16 GB. I use Foobar2000 together with Sennheiser HD650 and Graham Slee 'Bitzie', but actually the problem has nothing to do with those (just added for background context). I never had any problem playing music from stored files in any format, or live from eg Naxos Muslc Library or You Tube, until about a month ago.

I had a crash of unknown cause and had to call in a professional. As a result of a lot of discussion and reading &c, I decided to completely re-arrange everything -- I put all my O/S, all programs etc on a newly installed SSD (Samsung 840EVO) as the 'C' drive, and put everything else on a new 'D' drive, HDD. Everything is working fine, very much faster.

However, whether connected with the above or otherwise (and it might be connected with several updates from Windows, NVIDIA graphics card, I don't know) whenever I play music or videos, whether from audiofiles or videos stored on my pc, or from websites such as You Tube, they play fine but unpredictably and every so often there's a very slight pause in the flow, fractions of a second, before the music or video continues perfectly. I compare it to a kind of hiccup. As you'll appreciate, this is a nasty problem when trying to listen to music. (I have temporarily transferred listening to a laptop which luckily I also use.)

I'm told by a friend that such problems can be a devil of a job to trace -- that it might for instance be due to some quite different program trying to start up, temporarily interrupting the audio or visual software, so I'm not asking you for a full solution here!

I'm really asking if you have any advice, suggestions as to where I can go, eg where to look on my computer for what's causing the problem?

I've done full malware / virus scans with 3 different anti-malware and anti-virus programmes, done a full defrag of the 'D' drive (but not of course of the SSD).

Hope you might be able to give me a pointer or two, as to the right direction to look.

Many thanks in advance

Brian

musicweaver [AT] btinternet [DOT] com
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 2:59pm
Just guessing here but it could be that you've got some streaming buffer set too low (if you stream the audio directly past the windows kernel?). Or perhaps a bad USB connection?
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 7:58pm
You happened in the right place! It's called DPC latency. And yes, it's a hell to find the cause. But let's try.

1) Go here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Use this utility, and see if you have red spikes when the dropouts happen.

2) If you have the spikes, go here: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
This tool will tell you which is the process that causes the spikes by taking hold of the system randomly and not leaving it free to process the audio stream. Note that this might even happen on very fast machines, and NOT happen on slow ones. Usually it's caused by some misbehaving drivers (USB stuff the main culprits). When you find which one it is, either you fix it with better drivers, or you disable the component from the Control Panel.

Good luck!

Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Just guessing here but it could be that you've got some streaming buffer set too low (if you stream the audio directly past the windows kernel?). Or perhaps a bad USB connection?

In my experience buffer size has very little influence when dropouts happen due to DPC issues, alas...

suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

In my experience buffer size has very little influence when dropouts happen due to DPC issues, alas...

Good thing for the OP you knew about that then

Edited by suede - 07 Jun 2014 at 10:37pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:32am
What a weird problem you're having. I could understand if you were using an asynchronous device that needs to 'handshake' constantly, but the Bitzie uses adaptive isochronous, which is the 'guaranteed timing' mode in USB. The PC just continually sends/streams and the Bitzie has the job of keeping up by using its 'S/PDIF-like' USB processing (the 'adaptive' part of 'adaptive isochronous').

Even on my failing and heavily thrashed 3 year old PC (most of my PCs die within 3 years of purchase due to their workload), on which nothing connected to the USB sockets is recognised (except the printer), audio is still streamed to the Bitzie (or Majestic), even though 'explorer' and 'my computer' tell me I don't have any USB sockets or devices attached...

However, I do get drop-outs playing audio CDs from the DVD drive, which is unbearable, so I rip them using EAC and play the WAV or FLAC result.

Mind you, having said 'what a weird problem', windows IMO is a complete mess of an operating system, and Mr Gates ears must be on fire with all the cursing that comes out of Slee HQ on a hourly basis, such are the demands our business places on its PCs and network.

I sympathise.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 11:51am
Graham, do you / have you ever used OSX in your testing process?

Interested to read your comments about windows and how your PC's only last 3 years. My mac is nearly 5 years running a business and still going strong. I do have upgradeitis though..

I have used both systems for music playback with a number of DACS (including the Bitzie) and find OSX to be the better platform. Audirvana really does sound better that Foobar. Not exactly a fair comparison as one costs around £70 and the other is free but it's well worth it imo.
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic