FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Order of quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bradders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Order of quality
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 9:16am
In a simpletons terms can someone give me the order of quality of the following,I've put themin the order I think they are but I'm not sure its correct?

1.HDCD?
2.CD
3.Apple lossless(iphone)
4.Apple compressed(iphone)
5.Kleer wireless to Rdac(from iphone)
6.Blue tooth to rblink(from iphone)
7.MP3

The Apple stuff is a bit confusing for me, until recently I could select which format I loaded a CD on with ie high quality or low now there appears to be no choice with the new software.

In the above where does the computer stuff appear?If I want connect straight into the Rdac whats the best format to store it on and will the computer stored stuff be as good as CD?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:28pm
Hi Brad, I like the idea of a quality list for digital material and would make a couple of suggestions which others made change or add to:

1) I would put HD downloads first i.e. 24 bit 96 kHz or better
2) then lossless rips of CD's and HDCD's with dBPoweramp or other software that checks your rip against other users' rips (I use Apple Lossless for compatibility with my iPod Classic, I use FLAC otherwise)
3) Lossless rips with iTunes (use the error correction)
4) HDCD provided you have a player that does the high and low level expansion (ideally it would apply the filters as well) 
5) CD
6) 320k or better compressed rips and downloads
7) 192k to 256k rips and downloads 
8) wireless audio, move up list if the bit rate is higher than the 192/256 etc.

Rip lossless if you have the disk space and play it back from your computer into the RDac.

With iTunes on PC, Hold the "Ctrl" key down and press the "," (comma) key to the general settings menu. There's an import settings button where you can choose Apple Lossless or AAC with custom bit rates.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful to you.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 6:02pm
On a Mac: iTunes preferences, General, Import Settings.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 4:15pm
I'm wondering what quality WMA file is as my car only plays files in mp3 or WMA (Windows Media Audio) I know all about mp3. The reason for asking is a album I wont is only available as a download FLAC and I know I can put it on a CD-R but not sure if it will play in the cars CD player, my home CD player will play it so I may have to put it on USB stick. with dBpoweramp I can convert to both file formats so that's not a problem. But which is best.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 4:35pm
Which ever works. Quality audio in a car is a challenge.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
I'm out of touch with the "in car entertainment" thing. As I  don't do much mileage now a days I just wont to hear music mostly on the way to work. I was just wondering if WMA was any good? I know I can play FLAC through my personal music player but it takes so long to boot up then find what I wont to play that I'm some of the way to work already. ICE is a more expensive hobby than HiFi
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 8:03pm
If you can tell the difference on playback in a car, please be careful when driving.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic