FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Noisy pc what option should I choose?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:48am
If I listen carefully and on purpose I hear the fan motor slightly but no noise. When I sit on my desk and have background music I can't hear the fans. The PC is under the desk. I only hear them really when the CPU fan goes above 1000rpm. When my heating or air condition comes on in the house then it's noisy. Big smile           Have you ever had a Global Win FOP 38 CPU cooler with a 55mm fan? That thing is annoyingly noisy at 6800rpm!!! Or fans for AMD K6 2 Socket 7 MB they were loud! Thank god CPU fans are bigger and quieter nowadays. Clap 

Edited by musicdude - 14 Feb 2019 at 6:35am
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:20am
My music PC is hidden behind the TV, which sits between the speakers at about ear height.
The position does not help the noise.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:42am
Agree, I have a PC behind the TV for streaming from the net and it can be heard because I think the sound bouncing from the back of the TV to the wall amplifies it somehow. But luckily once the TV program or movie starts the sound is louder than the PC. LOL Beer
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:40pm
My PC is on my desk at the moment and I can hear higher pitched motor motion and lower pitched airflow. It is audible but not too intrusive. Although it would be nice to have a completely solid state system apart from an optional optical disc drive. I could probably disconnect the CPU fan and case fan without consequence with the current CPU heatsink or a slightly bigger one, as well as substitute the PSU for one that is fanless. The only time I hear the optical drive is initially at system power on or when a disc is inserted. The case is spacious with visibly good airflow capability so a fully silent PC isn't out of reach if I felt compelled to make it happen.

Another consideration would be a thicker fully metal case with fewer openings to enhance heatsinking and improve electromagnetic shielding, which should help to preserve the integrity of low level signals.

Edited by Ash - 14 Feb 2019 at 9:44pm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:40pm
I may be missing the point here, but why are such powerful PCs deemed necessary for managing and processing audio files?
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:48pm
Well I don't just want the computer for listening to music. I want to do other things with it too, such as watch films (e.g DVD) or play video games. Most media has sound elements to it so may as well reap the benefit with all of it, rather than only have something be great for one specific purpose. The internet is also how I find and hear new music. I'd like a system that is quiet and effortless. But that's just me. I don't have space for lots of different appliances.

Edited by Ash - 14 Feb 2019 at 10:51pm
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:22pm
Hi Ian, powerfull it is but it is already obsolete by today's standards. Tongue I use the PC secondarily  for music.
Andy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic