FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 9:02pm
Would it be of any interest to you (or others) if we were to do a technical discussion on active crossovers, possibly aimed at a DIY solution?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 9:11pm
Yes please. Can we please start with some basic physics comparing inductors, capacitors and resistors contrasting their effects on frequency roll off and phase shift et al.

My thinking of having one Proprius per driver is that by adding another speaker (coiled device) into the same output circuit, inductance, capacitance and impedance are all potentially being altered, which will alter the electromechanical behaviour of both.

I'll probably cross both 12PW with 12P at about 100Hz. Maybe a shallow curve will blend them better. I'm not sure. I don't have your years of experience.

Edited by Ash - 17 Jul 2018 at 9:15pm
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:14pm
Yes, that would be useful. 

I've been using active crossovers for the past 8 years (12th order, 72dB  to 50th order 300dB). Phase shift with such steep slopes is not an issue in my system, nor is absolute time alignment but Grahams' input would be helpful, especially in optimising crossover points at the higher frequencies.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Would it be of any interest to you (or others) if we were to do a technical discussion on active crossovers, possibly aimed at a DIY solution?
 That can be a very deep topic.
Passive x-overs are very technical, maybe more technical than active ones.
I have only dabbled a little compared to Graham and others on this forum.

With all x-overs the final goal, of course, is how well it sounds.

I would always wish to learn more 
 and, as always, help clarify the technical stuff I know about.

That being said... the speaker manufacturers that do honestly design (not "farm the design out") systems for good sound for decades are going to make them sound the best. They have already made the "right" compromises where it counts.

Edited by BAK - 17 Jul 2018 at 11:28pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:38am
Passive crossover design isn't something I could do justice to, but I can give you the gist of it as a very basic passive crossover using an inductor and capacitor.

Digital signal processing (DSP) is also beyond my scope. DSP can do things which are impossible in analogue electronics.

Slopes of 12dB and 18dB per octave can be done in an active analogue crossover, and a number of articles have been published in electronics magazines over the years. Most, if not all, are variants of the same 1973 Wireless World design.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

I’ll agree with Chris and say you’ve identified the problem. Can you swap the speakers and see if you like it better?
Mick.

Turns out I had the DIRAC room equalisation turned off 🤦🏻‍♂️

Crikey, it’s night & day in these AVR850’s. 
Just sounds a bit crap without the software. 
Loving it now. 
Wish I’d done a bit more digging before I bought a new phono stage 🙄
Hellish long couple of weeks. Had not the brain power to look into it in depth (you should see the size of the manual for this thing).

Hey ho. Wanted an upgrade anyway. 

Have to say the 15 odd year old Gram Amp 2 is giving a good account of itself.  Must be the sound deadening I added
😜

So, cables next I think. 
How does the try before you buy thing work guys?

👍🏼

Edited by Old skool - 21 Jul 2018 at 3:04pm
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
Hi Tim,

The loan scheme works by sending a private message to Jon (aka Fatmangolf) - for UK loans - to request the item(s) you'd like to borrow. When sending back after the loan period you re-imburse Jon's shipping costs.

So the loan is free, but you pay for shipping both ways . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic