FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Vinyl Quality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm

That sounds extremely frustrating. I had the same experience recently with two copies of Moses Boyd's Displaced Diaspora LP. I ended up giving up and just getting the CD. In some cases a looping groove like that can be fixed by using a conical stylus (never anything else!) and backcueing the loop several times. That will often leave a soft popping noise though, and it's not something we should have to put up with on a brand new LP, much less an expensive boxset. 

Earlier this year a friend gifted me an expensive 4xLP set and on the final side there was a deep scratch from poor factory handling. The rest of the set sounds amazing so you can imagine my disappointment. Trying to work with the label to get the issue sorted out. 

Sorry, only just seen your reply. In the end, I was torn between trying to do as you suggested or just sending it back as the set appears to be out of stock at most popular retailers unfortunately. Anyway, sent it back for a refund. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement that's sensibly priced. 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:31pm
finally played my second Christmas record; Staying at Tamaras’ George Ezra.  Whilst music does what it says in the tin, recording reminds me of the first GE album and why I tend to buy little modern music.

The recording in many ways is fine detailed and generally clean but remains lacking in true dynamics/compressed an ‘loud’.

I have my adjustable gain set to listen between 10 and 11.00 on the clock face, the latter being as loud as I normally go unless the recording is particularly low when I have been known to push towards 12.00.  I found myself listening at little more than 9.00 so altered my adjustable gain to suit.

From memory the vocals are cleaner and crisper than his first album although haven’t played for a few months as other system improvements have taken place.

At least the pressing have proved ok with no noise between tracks; without much by way of quiet passages this shouldn’t intrude anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
In follow up to the earlier comments re the re-mastered Kate Bush albums I bought a copy of ' kick inside' last weekend.

I haven't heard this for over 30 years and there were a few good tracks I had forgotten about.

Given that the only common component is my turntable and with the passage of time my recollection may have been a little wide of the mark but with these factors in mind the recording was good, Kate's voice carried the usual power though felt the overall balance had been morphed in to a more forward presentation with the lower frequencies 'flattened' with less power than I recall (albeit possibly connected to the last time listening the speakers had huge bass weight and scale) albeit what was heard today was tight and pretty enjoyable.  It would be interesting to compare with 'an original' though suspect the balance may have been tinkered with in the remastering?

As a footnote I thought I had one of Bobs 'warped' record (as seen on YouTube!) as when I looked at side B track two the arm was rising and falling quite significantly!  However, I freed off some surplus plastic from around the spindle hole and it was thereafter flat and the sound improved being a little warmer and less forward - maybe an unwanted artefact contributing to side 1;this now being warmer, sweeter and better balanced.
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:41am
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm

I have this box set and found the SQ excellent with very few pops and clicks and very low surface noise. Also have the Breaking Bad coloured vinyl box set and the quality is excellent on every disc in the set, Something I was not expecting considering the track record concerning coloured vinyl. Just shows what a lottery collecting vinyl today is.

Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:27am
Yes but is it any different from the variances in quality in the 70s or 80s?  From my experiences it doesn’t appear so.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm
I think bad pressings have been prevalent in every decade. I think it's just one of those things that come with vinyl as a recording medium. Frustrating nonetheless. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
Just played a new independent local record shop purchase (Bug Vinyl) support the local trade of Jeff Wayne’s concept album War of the Worlds.

Enjoyed the music and whilst over 30 years since I have heard the vinyl album sound is very good; massive soundstage, powerful, tight, detailed and sweet.  Very clean and detailed vocals from Essex, Lynott, Burton and Covington amongst others.

Unlike my Kate Bush purchase this was a better recording that the original (from memory) and a quiet pressing too.

Recommended if you like the music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic