FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Vinyl Quality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
In November I bought and really enjoyed three of the remastered Kat Bush albums on vinyl: The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, and Aerial. No clicks and I like the slightly increased dynamic range. Great to finally have Aerial as an LP and new copies of the other two.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

In November I bought and really enjoyed three of the remastered Kat Bush albums on vinyl: The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, and Aerial. No clicks and I like the slightly increased dynamic range. Great to finally have Aerial as an LP and new copies of the other two.

Very nice. I'm keeping track of reports on quality on those. I'd like to get the Dreaming remastered either on CD or LP. For HOL I think I'm good because I have AF reissue done by Hoffman and Gray and I can't imagine any version bettering it. I never had Aerial so I'll have to get it on some format. Also Red Shoes is missing from my collection. I don't like her pre-Dreaming stuff too much so I'm going to pass on those. 
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:50pm
For some unaccountable reason, I missed the post by Drewan77 about the Solti Mahler-8, until a few days ago!  Thanks, Andrew for the screen shots.  It goes part-way to shedding some light on whatever print material may have accompanied the original vinyl release.  Apparently, the original contained a 21-page booklet: rather more pages than your Idaho friend has!  I've no idea whether the original booklet was one of those slightly annoying enclosures that have the same thing in several languages, or whether it's really very informative and all in English.  I'm guessing that it does contain the full libretto however.

The vinyl release is still officially available new, but it seems to have been caught in the massive queue for production that is affecting supplies worldwide of anything other than the most popular LPs.  My sister attempted to get me a new copy, but was put off so many times over several months that she resorted to getting me a 'Near Mint' second-hand copy - hence the surprise at the wrong enclosure and the inability of the supplier to do anything about it!  Ho hum... Disapprove
disjmr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disjmr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
The original Solti Mahler 8 release was 2 LP’s boxed, with a 21 page LP sized booklet. Only 2 pages of detailed notes in English, but it does have the full libretto in German, English & French, plus lots of photos. Certainly worth trying to get a hold of..
John R
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:23pm
I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

I received the new Police box set for Christmas and was only at the end of the first side when a repeating skip soured the experience! Had a look at the record under strong light but can't see anything obvious in the grooves. Gave it a couple of cleans on my RCM but no better unfortunately. It will have to go back. Ermm

That sounds extremely frustrating. I had the same experience recently with two copies of Moses Boyd's Displaced Diaspora LP. I ended up giving up and just getting the CD. In some cases a looping groove like that can be fixed by using a conical stylus (never anything else!) and backcueing the loop several times. That will often leave a soft popping noise though, and it's not something we should have to put up with on a brand new LP, much less an expensive boxset. 

Earlier this year a friend gifted me an expensive 4xLP set and on the final side there was a deep scratch from poor factory handling. The rest of the set sounds amazing so you can imagine my disappointment. Trying to work with the label to get the issue sorted out. 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:17pm
I was bought the ‘mama Mia - here we go again’ for Christmas double album.  I like the music and the recording is good (a lot better than cinema as perhaps should be expected).

Fly in the ointment, the pressing.  Returned 1 as there was an unseen background surface noise - no clicks but just an annoying swish for a Third of every revolution on the quieter tracks on side 1 in particular.

This was bought from HMV Newcastle and swapped at HMV in Hull.  Whilst ‘better’ it is still similarly noisy despite both havimh a good clean in my RCM and wonder if anyone else wants to admit to owning this and if so whether good or similar findings?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic