FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Vinyl Quality Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:36pm
That's a great review Malcolm, it almost made me order a copy.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:33pm
Please forgive an aside on RCM's from an earlier post on this thread.

One of my work colleagues just got a second hand RCM and used it yesterday. It removed almost all the low level crackle and a lot of pops/clicks, he described the LP as being black and shiny afterwards. Used or new a quick clean does help the music shine. No I am not on commission!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:23pm
I bought a number of second hand records today on a trip to a rather damp Whitby. I'm cleaning most of them tonight and playing a few whilst I work on the remainder. RCM's are great once you have one.

Jon

Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi all!  I'm not sure if there is a 'right' place to post this.  It's certainly about new vinyl, and about the experience, though it's really a very unusual hope for help!

My sister has just given me a birthday present of Mahler's Symphony No.8 by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Georg Solti (Decca).  New!  But, weirdly, the enclosed notes and libretto are for the version by The London Symphony Orchestra and Leonard Bernstein (CBS).  When I discovered this, my sister phoned the supplier, who was surprised, but said that was how it was supplied to him!

As you can imagine, enjoyment is definitely enhanced if you've got the right notes for the LPs concerned!  I'm wondering if, by any WQofF, anyone on this splendid forum site can solve the problem: how can I get hold of the right leaflet/booklet (or whatever it is) in any form?  Download, photocopy - I don't mind!  I'd happily pay a modest sum, too!

This feels a bit like casting out a message in a bottle, but... any helpful suggestion welcomed!

(P.S.  I had a look on the prestoclassical website, but they don't supply the leaflet to download.)
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 8:32pm
By coincidence, today I am visiting a music loving friend in Boise Idaho & he has the Hi-Res digi version. Here are screen shots of the attached booklet but I'm not sure if this is what would be with the LP:

(images downsized as file sizes are large)

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:40am
Surely the retailer will get you another new set to replace what you have? It seems at the very least fair trade laws would mean you can get hold of the actual paid for product?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:20pm
For me new vinyl has been all over the place in terms of quality. I tend to pay attention to where things are pressed before buying. In the U.S., the bottom tier plants are United and Rainbo IME. The biggest problems with records pressed at these plants is non-fill and off-centeredness. Warps straight from the factory are also common because the plants are under a lot of pressure with the vinyl comeback trend to produce things as quickly as possible and make as many records as they can. So they don't allow LPs to fully cool when they come off the presses and cram them into jackets and shrinkwrap them too soon. That usually results in some type of warping. 

The better plants IME are RTI, QRP, Record Industry (Holland), and Pallas (Germany). But even there, there is no guarantee you will get a record free of defects. I usually wait for reviews and don't jump the gun with preorders or buy something right when it is released. Sometimes a new release or reissue will have a whole run with many reports of various defects. For those I usually wait it out, pass entirely, or try to buy from a retailer that is going to work with me if I get a bad copy. 

A few months ago I had to return two audiophile label jazz reissues that were pressed at one of the better plants listed above. They were warped right out of the package, probably due to the reason I mentioned above. Luckily the retailer was willing to work with me and accept the return, then inspect replacement copies for me. It's still a hassle and I had to pay to send the records back but they came through in the end. Many shops and retailers won't take returns or exchanges on new vinyl whatsoever. 

At B&M shops, I generally prefer to buy used or unsealed LPs. I can inspect them, and if there is a problem after I clean and play them the better shops in my area will at least allow me to return the LP for 100% store credit or give me a no questions asked refund. With new vinyl they won't always do that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic