FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Owner of Jazz Club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner of Jazz Club
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 7:12am
Hello, I am the proud new owner of a second hand Jazz Club Phono Stage.  I have been a vinyl fan for years, but until a little over a year ago always listened to vintage receivers with built in phono stages. At that time I upgraded to a Decware Mini Torrii tube amp and a cheap Rolls phono stage. After a lot of research, I finally took the plunge on a Graham Slee Jazz Club. For the longest time, I intended to stay all tube and get a tube phono stage but could not find an all tube high quality tube stage within my budget. I was aware that many of the affordable ones are hybrids with questionable performance. Cheaper all tube models seemed to be based on older designs with imprecise RIAA EQ deciphering. While I had looked closely at some Graham Slee phono stages, I wan't entirely sold until this Jazz Club came up for sale at a price I couldn't pass up. I've only had it plugged in for a couple days, so from what I've read it will continue to improve as it settles in, but so far I immediately noticed far more detail yet also more "musicality" if that makes sense. I say more detail without being analytical. I tend to be someone that can get annoyed with something that emphasizes the highs, sounding analytical and inducing listener fatigue. This doesn't do that, yet there is clearly much more there.
I can't compare to a good all tube phono stage because I've never heard one myself. If I get the chance, I'd still like to compare just out of curiosity, but I am very pleased with the Jazz Club and excited to think it may get better yet as it settles in. I am also happy to have the option of listening to some older records if I find them as I am a huge jazz fan. I am currently stationed in Japan so am unsure what EQ standards they used on older records. Thanks for hosting the community here, as this forum is one of the reasons I considered Graham Slee to begin with, Jon.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 2:09am
Hi Jon,
   Nice to hear you’re enjoying the Jazz Club. Hopefully you’ll reach the same state that many Slee users occupy, where upgradeitis ceases to afflict you!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm
Hi Mick,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you have a good point that upgradeitis can be a real problem. I have been building my system in stages focusing on one component at a time, so that has helped. I also have promised myself that if I am spending so much on equipment that I can't afford music, it's a problem since this is all about the music for me. I intend to stick with the Jazz Club. I was hoping to get some thoughts from those that have compared to nice all tube stages, since I just don't have that experience myself, but this is leaps and bounds beyond what I have heard before and I am quite pleased. I will certainly not chase the unknown. Besides, my wife helps keep me honest with myself and the limits I have set.
Thanks again, Jon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic