FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New music on order

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:08pm
It's the way things are, Jon.
Times change.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:14pm
yes I know. I'm what is know as a DINOSAUR. Still I'll keep going with my old ways until I have no choice. Hopefully a long time.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:21pm
Looks like the only choice you have is accept the way it is, or deny yourself what you desire.
Personally I have no issue with Bandcamp downloads, and I've bought a number of albums that way.
I've even had artists thank me for NOT going down the Amazon route - Amazon looks after Amazon first and foremost, and they charge the artists a lot to distribute their wares.

Get the download, and if you must have a CD burn the files to CDR and play them via that method.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:34pm
Chris
It's all down to the quality of download, what do they give you? I would not pay for an mp3 that's not good enough it as to be a minimum of CD quality.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 11:05pm
FLAC is an acronym for Free Lossless Audio Codec, so there's a clue with the word lossless.
WAVs are uncompressed PCM, which is effectively what you have on yer CD.
ALAC is an acronym for Apple Lossless Audio Codec, so again the clue is the word lossless.
AIFF is Apple's version of uncompressed PCM.

All four file types are CD quality.

The files I have downloaded from Bandcamp have all been FLAC, so all CD quality as a minimum.
Some of the files have been higher bit depth and higher sample rate (ie Hi Res, for want of a better term).

If your artist doesn't have a least CD standard download drop them an email and bend their ear - be nice about it, and they'll listen and hopefully comply with your request.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 6:51pm
Chris 
FLAC is OK with me. I am going to burn it to CD-R and hopefully it will play in my car, I think it will play in the home CD player (almost certain) It's the only way I'm going to own a copy of it as I not going to pay over £40 for the record to came from the USA.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 4:55pm
I've playing David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust to death lately so I've just ordered Hunky Dory, I went for this album as it is his early music and I find that most artists early stuff is usually their best. I quote  - Oasis "Definitely Maybe" their best album the rest of their albums were rubbish this is "IMO" Bigger than the The Beatles what a load of crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic