FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:22pm
Hello everybody,
I’m Tim and I’m new here. Just getting back in to hi-fi as I’m spending a bit more time at home at the moment.

Looking to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of my L*nn Axis / Akito / AT440Mlb. I’m currently using my 90s Audiolab 8000a as a phono stage feeding an Arcam A18 with Arcam 10p. The speakers at the moment are Dynaudio Audience 42, though I also use a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms, but they’re currently having a rest under the stairs. 

I’ve used the internal phono stage of the Arcam A18 and have recently put the Audiolab on phono only duties and I prefer the sound as to my ears it’s more detailed. However this is not the ideal solution and I’m wondering what gains could be made by going for a dedicated stage like the Gram Amp or perhaps the SE.

I would really appreciate any guidance or feedback from the knowledgeable members here.

Thanks,
Tim
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:42pm
Welcome. I can't speak to the phono stages in those Arcam or Audiolab units but I would say try the loaner program to figure out what might meet your needs. Maybe more than one unit so you can make some comparisons. 

Also, the 440mlb (I had a few of those) has been discontinued for a few years so if your stylus is up in hours played on it better get a new stylus for that cartridge. Anything over 1,000 hours is trouble and ideally I'd replace at the 500-700 hour mark. The current 540ML stylus will pop right on your existing cartridge body. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:11pm
HI Tim
I had a Audiolab 8300a and up graded to GS SE2 phono amp and I found it made a big difference in the sound quality and reduced the hiss and pops from the vinyl too. well worth it. I then went for the PSU1 power supply up grade again worth it. I can't say too much about the Gram Amp. but I will say that the phono amp built into the audiolab is not a vary good one from what I have heard and listen to myself
Hope that helps you make up your mind in some way

Jonathan 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the replies patientot and Jonathan.

The loaner programme is a great idea. I think I’ll have to utilise it soon. It’s very useful to be able to compare at home in your own system. Reading reviews, while useful, just sends me round in circles.

I prefer the phono stage in the Audiolab 8000a compared to the ones in other integrateds I’ve heard or owned around that price, but I’m hoping I have your experience Jonathan where a dedicated stage is a step up.

On the cart front the AT440 has been kept back until I unleashed it recently. So it’s not has too many hours yet. But lockdown has accelerated that.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:23am
Hi Tim
I only got back into vinyl when I had the 8300a so can't comment on other amps, my new amp has not got a built in phono amp but from what I've read most amps with built in phono amps are not that good more of an after thought! 
As for experience I just know what I like the sound of when LISTENING and at the moment I like the sound of my set up, But I'm sure others on here will give you better advice. But you are right about run in time if you get to try at home leave the phono on for at lest a day before listening 
(WHATS GOOD TO SOME ONE MAY NOT SOUND GOOD TO YOU) and It's your money you are spending so it's down to you at the end of the day
Good luck in your quest for better sound 

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
Hello Tim and welcome to the forum.

Up until nearly ten years ago I used an Audiolab 8000A integrated amp, including the integral phono stage. Then, as the first step of an overall system upgrade, I introduced one of Graham's phono stages (in my case a Revelation M) connected via a line level input of the Audiolab. The difference between the integral phono stage and the Revelation was like night and day. There was so much that I'd been missing from what I thought had been a fairly good system.

Whatever you're searching for I am pretty certain you will get closer to it with a dedicated, properly designed phono stage. Take advantage of the loaner scheme; you have nothing to lose and, I firmly believe, much to gain.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 4:04pm
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the welcome and the tip. Good to hear that a (former) Audiolab user like yourself noticed a real step up. It's these insights and experience I had been hoping to find through this forum. I've had really good advice from everyone so far.

I've got a Gram Amp SE coming through the loaner programme and I can't wait to get it into my system to hear what it can do.
Thanks,
Tim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic