FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member - Solo ULDE enquiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JCL5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - Solo ULDE enquiry
    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 9:36pm
Hi Everyone

I've a Naim system at home and am looking to upgrade my headphone amp, a Headline 2 fed from an old Olive Hicap. Although I love my speakers, I’m finding I’m increasingly listening to headphones these days, especially with the lock-down and consideration for my neighbours.

I’ve just arranged under the Loan Program to audition a Solo ULDE and Lautus cables and am very much looking forward to hearing how it performs in my system. I first heard mention of this headphone amp on another forum and have recently read many great things about this piece of kit. Thank you John, for arranging the loan for me.

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone else hear uses Naim and Graham Slee products? Do the two brands generally work well together?

Similarly, my main headphones are Focal and I wonder how they will match with this headphone amp? Focal and Graham Slee a good match?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
Hi John,
   I’ve not used my Solo ULDE with Naim, but I have fed it from a few different sources. It seems pretty transparent to me, always reflecting the sound of the source or preamp from which it’s been fed. It doesn’t make everything sound the same, which I think makes it infinitely more flexible.

As for Focal, I’ve used an Elear for a year with it, and my friend brought over his Elegia for a listen. They both sounded terrific. Last weekend we both bought Utopias in a giant stock clearance in Melbourne, and after listening intently to the combo, I have no intention of changing from the Solo. I really enjoy it.

Good luck with trial,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
JCL5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:55am
Hi Mick
I plugged the Solo in yesterday afternoon and spent several hours listening in the evening.
It started a little lean from cold but was definitely improved in the evening. Looking forward to seeing how things improve over the weekend
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 11:36pm
I think we’ve all heard a big improvement over 24 hours, and a little more for the next day. Whenever I unplug everything for a spring clean or to move it, it’s never quite happy again until it’s been powered on for two days. 
How’s it driving your Focal?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
JCL5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 4:57pm
Hi Mick
The Solo appears to have no problem driving my Focals. I think they're relatively easy to drive. I've on occasions plugged them into my iPhone via a converter jack and the phone seemed to get a reasonable volume from them. Couldn't say the quality was that great but then it is only an iPhone and no real match for my proper hifi...
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 7:59pm
Hi John
when I got my Solo plus PSU1 I also got new headphones HD600 both new at the same time the sound straight out of the box was not good at all I thought there was some thing wrong, But after a day it got better. I then left the amp switched onto input 1 (not mute) and left the headphones plugged after a week, well what a difference that made. I now switch on to input 1 a good hr before I start listening it dose make a difference why with the headphones I don't know why it just dose (the amp I keep on all the time) I'm telling you this, It's just some thing to try out for yourself It may or may not work for you?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic