FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

New Member/Old Topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Telling it as it is

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:33am
OK, if you're here to learn but I once remember during a phone call being asked if I'd like to borrow his son's college books on op-amps. He said it might help me...

I was very polite... I suppose not being an electronics celeb, people might think that way.

I am not into hi-fi snake oil, but will say I used Elna ROD's in the past. Quite effective, but now banned being of an hazardous chemical nature. All components have characteristics, but I'm wise enough to avoid the opportunists.

Why "I would do that"? All I am actually doing is making a particular circuit work as well as can be expected. Making things do the best it could get might mean going to extremes in component value selection: 103.678 pF might theoretically do a better job than 100 pF for example, but all components have parasitics, and there are also manufacturing tolerances. Can the difference be heard? No is the usual answer. Can the difference be measured? Again I think the answer will be no unless it's some precision filter.

High end hi-fi is full of opinions and I know of some who are unstable enough to use violence in forcing their opinions. I think we can do without that? I remember one particular character doing the rounds of the forums telling everybody how bad the Solo headphone amplifier sounded. He later admitted he'd never heard one, but was just supporting his favourite brand.

And as for bypassing C9: I tried to explain what bypassing does in an earlier reply?
Not simple enough for Google-Bot to understand...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic