FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New member interested in phono stages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
If I were personally committed to vinyl playback, I would buy the Accession MC without a second thought. The ultra-low noise power supply combined with the ingenious way of approaching record EQ would provide such a pure signal into the Proprius monoblocks.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:49pm
Just so OP doesn't get confused, the Accession MC is not compatible with the Sumiko Moonstone, whichi is an MM cart. If OP wants to use the Acc. MC, they need to buy a LOMC cartridge. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
I still play my CDs and get a lot of enjoyment out of them.
I know what you are saying you don't wont to waste your $$$ on something you will regret, that's why I think the Reflex M is for you ( read that post) 
My budget as taking a nose dive and spending on something I could regret would not be good, I know to improve on what I have would mean spending hundreds of £££ of which I don't have to waste
I wish you luck and you make the right choice  
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:56am
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.
I was hesitant to mention a CD player on a site like this Smile
I’m a child of the late 80s and 90s so I still have quite a few CDs as well.

Edited by mdnicke2 - 02 Sep 2020 at 12:56am
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
Don't be hesitant to mention digital or CDs on this forum there is a digital section on here and GS sells the Majestic pre amp and that has a DAC and a lot on here have CD players, there is still a case for CDs a lot of people and me own a lot of them and can't get some albums on vinyl or streaming sites. 
I don't think CD is dead just yet and for some time to come as they are still popular I still buy CDs.
A great way to buy good cheap music (second hand)
That's what HiFi is for listening to music at the end of the day no matter what format it is on.
Just enjoy it
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 2:12am
Agreed. There is a healthy number of CD Transports available for purchase at the moment, more so that ten years ago, from cheap and cheerful through to very bloody expensive. 
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:04am
I use CD as a source of high quality audio for ripping. I don't tend to use the discs for playback so haven't invested in a CD transport dedicated to playback. I much prefer file-based audio but refuse to pay for mp3 services, which are still very prevalent. I like quite a lot of independent stuff and can often pay to download FLAC straight from the artist.

Vinyl is large, heavy, easy to damage, often contains less content despite being double-sided, has to be cleaned/maintained and costs more than CD (sometimes MUCH more) even though the vinyl contents may come from a digital master. I have noticed many video game soundtracks being released on vinyl nowadays because of popularity rather than actual quality. They often say "remastered" when there was nothing wrong with the original material and can actually degrade the mixing of the work, leading to reduced enjoyment. A money-making scam in my eyes.

I still respect vinyl though because it sometimes exudes qualities the CD album is lacking. Often the difference is in the rhythm and bass depth, and it's not usually a slight difference...

Edited by Ash - 03 Sep 2020 at 9:19am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic