FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member and obvious phono stage dilemmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 6:30pm
Not a bad RIAA stage in that JVC! The power amp probably lets it down. It uses those power amp modules that were all the rage back then (so did Amstrad). If you're going to try a Communicator, I'd pair it with a line input on the Kandy. Perhaps first use the JVC line out into the Kandy, so making use of the JVC phono stage?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JohnBrianstown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:38pm
That’s really interesting!!

The Kandy is technically far superior than the JVC, but the JVC has just got something in the way it sounds that is more romantic and musical than the Kandy.
It might just be harmonic distortion I’m in love with LOL

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by JohnBrianstown JohnBrianstown wrote:

The Kandy is technically far superior than the JVC...

Really? Is that what Roksan says?

Bloody marvellous what two Iranian students can design, isn't it? Turntables, arms, CD players, amplifiers, and at such a fast rate - really cool Cool
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 2:13am
The United States Victor Talking Machine Company (formed 1901) established the Japanese Victor Company in 1927, and two years later RCA bought the Victor Talking Machine Company, which included the Japanese Victor Company (JVC). From 1953 it was part of Matsush*ta Electric Industrial Co., Ltd (National Panasonic Technics).

Huh! RCA, the inventors of the transistor amplifier (the Lin - not L*nn - amplifier, early 1950s).

I'd say JVC knew what they were doing.

Late 1960s, RCA developed the DC-coupled amplifier, and by the mid-70's certain "rich" companies, who could afford the patent royalties, were producing DC-coupled amplifiers (the pattern part you now see under every lid, along with the donut transformer).

Now, obviously their marketing boasts the company founders as something kind of special, and the reviewers go along with that, and anybody who's a real audio engineer is silenced by the crowd, and since around 2005, by algorithms.

And now it's just all opinion, and everybody thinks they have one, except all opinions are shaped in people's minds by marketing departments.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Not a bad RIAA stage in that JVC! The power amp probably lets it down. It uses those power amp modules that were all the rage back then (so did Amstrad). If you're going to try a Communicator, I'd pair it with a line input on the Kandy. Perhaps first use the JVC line out into the Kandy, so making use of the JVC phono stage?

Using the JVC phono stage to feed the Roksan amp is a clever tie-breaker. I would do that.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 6:32pm

Thank you very much for your replies and inputs!

I have thought about the loan scheme and my only worry is that it would throw me into another rabbit chase involving spending, and more spending, and then more spending. WackoLOL

Once, when talking about different types and levels of cartridges, someone said to me "you are not missing what you don't know" which is very true!

When I bought the Roksan amp I also bought it because of its allegedly great on-board phono stage.
Which I don't miss a single moment on my vintage JVC which brings me to three potential conclusions:

1. the JVC also has a great on-board phono stage;
2. the phono stage in the Roksan is not all that great or;
3. I cannot hear the difference as my set up is not all that much of a set up, some would use the term mid-fi at best.

For what my set up is, I was considering nothing more than a Communicator as it would probably be in line with the level of the other components (perhaps being the cartridge on my turntable the most expensive bit of kit in my chain) and to eventually upgrade later on with the better power supply.

I have thought about jumping to the Era Gold V too and kind of future-proof myself with something so much better than the rest of my kit to be potentially something I wouldn't have to worry about for a long time, possibly (hopefully) never. But at the moment I don't feel like I should spend as much as I've spent on my deck for a phono stage. Geek

Doubts!!!!

I understand about not wanting to overspend on components. I am very frugal with stereo equipment compared to many I know. For years I used second hand vintage turntables that were a less expensive than any component in my system.

I only buy things that are planned purchases well in advance and never put anything on credit. The way I look at things is that when I buy a component, it's something I want to own for a long time, so I'm not jumping from lateral move to lateral move, selling and buying gear, and losing money in the process. Been there done that.

All I can say is that I have had around half a dozen different phono stages here and none of them lasted in my system longer than the GS Reflex which I purchased around 4 years ago now. As for the phono stage costing almost as much as the turntable, that is the situation I'm in and I have no regrets. The only thing that makes the turntable a bit more expensive now are aftermarket upgrades I installed over a year ago. Bottom line is there is no magic number or percentage for spending when putting together a system.

A lot comes down to the individual and what their preferences and priorities are.

FWIW if I were phono stage shopping today with the loaner program, what I would do is try to borrow at least 2 models and test them out in my system. If I liked the more expensive one better, I would just save up for it.

My 2 cents.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Thank you very much for your replies and inputs!

I have thought about the loan scheme and my only worry is that it would throw me into another rabbit chase involving spending, and more spending, and then more spending. WackoLOL

Once, when talking about different types and levels of cartridges, someone said to me "you are not missing what you don't know" which is very true!

When I bought the Roksan amp I also bought it because of its allegedly great on-board phono stage.
Which I don't miss a single moment on my vintage JVC which brings me to three potential conclusions:

1. the JVC also has a great on-board phono stage;
2. the phono stage in the Roksan is not all that great or;
3. I cannot hear the difference as my set up is not all that much of a set up, some would use the term mid-fi at best.

For what my set up is, I was considering nothing more than a Communicator as it would probably be in line with the level of the other components (perhaps being the cartridge on my turntable the most expensive bit of kit in my chain) and to eventually upgrade later on with the better power supply.

I have thought about jumping to the Era Gold V too and kind of future-proof myself with something so much better than the rest of my kit to be potentially something I wouldn't have to worry about for a long time, possibly (hopefully) never. But at the moment I don't feel like I should spend as much as I've spent on my deck for a phono stage. Geek

Doubts!!!!

I understand about not wanting to overspend on components. I am very frugal with stereo equipment compared to many I know. For years I used second hand vintage turntables that were a less expensive than any component in my system.

I only buy things that are planned purchases well in advance and never put anything on credit. The way I look at things is that when I buy a component, it's something I want to own for a long time, so I'm not jumping from lateral move to lateral move, selling and buying gear, and losing money in the process. Been there done that.

All I can say is that I have had around half a dozen different phono stages here and none of them lasted in my system longer than the GS Reflex which I purchased around 4 years ago now. As for the phono stage costing almost as much as the turntable, that is the situation I'm in and I have no regrets. The only thing that makes the turntable a bit more expensive now are aftermarket upgrades I installed over a year ago. Bottom line is there is no magic number or percentage for spending when putting together a system.

A lot comes down to the individual and what their preferences and priorities are.

FWIW if I were phono stage shopping today with the loaner program, what I would do is try to borrow at least 2 models and test them out in my system. If I liked the more expensive one better, I would just save up for it.

My 2 cents.

I agree with totally, Save and spend.

Edited by lfc jon - 03 Feb 2023 at 8:29pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic