FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member and obvious phono stage dilemmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
JohnBrianstown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member and obvious phono stage dilemmas
    Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 2:59pm
Good afternoon everyone and thank you for letting me in this forum which I’m looking forward to take part of and learn and share a few things on.

I’ve started my journey in my own hifi system a few years ago and it has been so far a very interesting journey, full of happy surprises and bitter discoveries.

My current kit is a mix of old and new, I’m not a big spender and I think at most times that big boys gear would be wasted on me as I do love listening to music, mainly vinyls, and I do love good gear, but I’m also very humble with my ambitions.

I’ve owned expensive gear and I’ve owned cheap gear and at the moment, although I do have a Roksan Kandy L3 parked and collecting dust, my system includes a vintage JVC JA-S22 amp, Quad S2 speakers, Thorens TD160 with a Rega 300 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 HOMC (soon to be put against a Goldring 2300 MM) and a bunch of Audioquest cables here and there.

I’m happy with my gear and I’m happy with the sound I have, the JVC even though a lot cheaper than the Roksan gives me a lot more of that sweet midrange and a fuller sound and a better 3D feel of the soundstage.

My only wonder is if I might be happy-er by moving away from the internal phono stage of the JVC to a standalone phono preamp. The stage on the Roksan is praised on reviews and yet I do not find much of a difference when put against the older JVC. My old drummer’s ears might not be able to tell much of a difference anyways, no idea.

But bottom line is, would you guys genuinely tell me to save my money as I have absolutely no clues on what I’m doing or would suggest to try a better phono stage? LOL

Many thanks for your time!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 6:34pm
Hi Marco
The experience I had with a Audiolab 8300 amp was a bit of a surprise, I did expect to hear a difference and I was not disappointed but what hit me the most was the reduction in the surface noise when playing a record, it did come as a pleasant surprise. After that I took a bit more notice on the difference in sound quality.
One thing I would recommend is the loan program and have a listen to one in your system. It's your ears that count.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:57pm
I had a Roksan Kandy L3 (now my son’s), which I enjoyed as a replacement for a Technics SU-V303. People told me the phono stage of the Kandy was excellent and wouldn’t be bettered by an off board one. I tried the Reflex M, with the Kandy, through the loaner scheme and was blown away by how much better it was. A Reflex M was my first GS purchase. It was followed by a Majestic and a pair of Proprii, which have been equally impressive. Most recently, I replaced the Reflex M (now my son’s) with an Accession M.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by JohnBrianstown JohnBrianstown wrote:

or would suggest to try a better phono stage? LOL
Yes
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:10am
Welcome to the forum! I would second the idea of using the loan scheme to find out what one of Graham's phono amps will do for you. What I've found is that aside from any initial differences you find, those that come after you've removed the phono amp from your system are often much greater - sins of omission as it were.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
JohnBrianstown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBrianstown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:28pm
Thank you very much for your replies and inputs!

I have thought about the loan scheme and my only worry is that it would throw me into another rabbit chase involving spending, and more spending, and then more spending. WackoLOL

Once, when talking about different types and levels of cartridges, someone said to me "you are not missing what you don't know" which is very true!

When I bought the Roksan amp I also bought it because of its allegedly great on-board phono stage.
Which I don't miss a single moment on my vintage JVC which brings me to three potential conclusions:

1. the JVC also has a great on-board phono stage;
2. the phono stage in the Roksan is not all that great or;
3. I cannot hear the difference as my set up is not all that much of a set up, some would use the term mid-fi at best.

For what my set up is, I was considering nothing more than a Communicator as it would probably be in line with the level of the other components (perhaps being the cartridge on my turntable the most expensive bit of kit in my chain) and to eventually upgrade later on with the better power supply.

I have thought about jumping to the Era Gold V too and kind of future-proof myself with something so much better than the rest of my kit to be potentially something I wouldn't have to worry about for a long time, possibly (hopefully) never. But at the moment I don't feel like I should spend as much as I've spent on my deck for a phono stage. Geek

Doubts!!!!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 6:17pm
Fair enough. The opportunity is there if you want it on the future. In the meantime happy listening!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic