FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New CD Transport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CD Transport
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:03am
Dear All,
   I wanted to share a good news story with you. For a little while now I've owned a C.E.C. TL5 CD transport, fed into the Majestic DAC. The two dovetail quite brilliantly! The Majestic seems to take everything fed to it and turn it into gold. CD replay is now on an even level with LP in my system (see below). I've finally achieved balance!

I als wanted to add my voice to the "we get ripped off on hifi prices" chorus. This is made emphatically clear by the value for money GSP offers and I am grateful. In Australia the TL5 retails for AU$4,100 and is a three week wait in special order. I bought mine directly from Japan via one of the personal shopping websites and, including the transport, their commission and shipping, paid AU$1,400. Added a AU$88 100v step down transformer and I'm in heaven!

What justifies such a mark up when it's not kept in stock or on demo?

Again, I'm just so impressed that whether my source is CD, LP or hi-res download, I can rely on the Slee electronics to give me a consistent performance. Bravo, Graham!

Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:22am
Yes, that is a big mark up, Mick.

I hadn't come across the TL5 before, so a quick google brought up the HiFiPig review:

Quote Similarly, the Majestic has an excellent 16 bit/44.1kHz engine that through the Class A/B Propius mono-blocks gave a powerful and musical performance that was able to show off the CEC to the fore.

And £2,600 equates to about AU$4,100, so we're getting fleeced too . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:24pm
Why does this not surprise us? I see that the CEC TL5 is generally priced at just under 102,000Yen, about £750, in Japan; in Europe about €2400. Even after shipping, duty, storage, etc that's quite a mark up.
It begs the question as to just how many things we pay over the odds for.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:21pm
I can only relate to UK pricing but it does appear small manufacturers (including Graham, audiomods as discussed on another thread and another manufacturer I have had discussions with very recently) all produce high quality, well engineered hardware with excellent back up and support with performance could easily be pitched against products vastly more expensive and win!

You could argue this is a balance between honesty/integrity/low cost operations/loyalty to customers and a desire to make more money? The three examples fall in to one category and others to greater or lesser degrees in their the latter.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 6:17am
Good observations, all.

Anyone els easing a dedicated transport?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
Hi Mick,
I often use a Musical Fidelity M1 CD transport into the Majestic. This is an excellent half-width
unit which unfortunately has been discontinued by MF.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
I use a Cyrus CD Xt Signature, but it's not yet partnered with a Majestic.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic