FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

new cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new cartridge
    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
I have P******t TT but im thinking of up rating the MM cartridge from a Ortofon 2M silver but I don't know what one to go for I like to stay with MM as my gs phono amp is MM ie Gram Amp2 my HiFi is Audiolab 8300 i'ed like to stay with Ortofon but i'm open to idears I'll go to around £300 but I like to spend less its my 1st up rate to the TT
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 7:40pm
Hi Jon,
If I remember correctly the Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge body will accept other 2M stylii such as the Red or Blue. Or perhaps take a look at the Audio Technica MMs, VM95ML, VM540ML or VM740ML generally not quite as bright as the Ortofons.
The merits of the ML - Micro Line stylus are touched on in another thread. https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/audio-technica-at-vm95ml-cartridge_topic4686.html#59086

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:35pm
Thanks for the reply Ian
I did not know where ortofon silver fell in the 2M range of cartridges
I read some where 2M silver had silver in the cartridge?
I know it was made for P-J only
think I look into that and if I can just change the stlyii
thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
From what I can see on the Ortofon website the 2M Silver does indeed have silver wire coils and the stylus is interchangeable with the 2M Blue stylus, generally around £100.

Choosing a new cartridge is always difficult as meaningful auditioning is near impossible unless you find a dealer with an almost identical system to your own. Or one who will let you try out a cartridge at home. (One of the delights of the Loan scheme for auditioning.) Comparison between cartridges in a similar deck etc is something that dealers might offer.
It's worth looking at the manufacturers information for which stylus assemblies fit which bodies as a guide to later upgrades. For instance the AT VM540 and 740 series have some interchangeable stylus assemblies, as do Ortofon but to a lesser extent, ie you can go from 2M Red or Silver to Blue, From 2M Bronze to Black, but not Blue to Bronze or Black.
Happy searching.

Ian
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:23am
Jon. I went through a similar process when I wanted to update/upgrade the cart for my old Dual TT.
I had an email conversation with Ortofon to identify which might be a good choice and they sent me a useful description of their range with some reviews attached. If you want it please PM me with your email address and I will forward it to you.
I finally chose a 2M Blue, which needed an addition weight on the tone arm, which I fortunately already had.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:40am
Ian
yes I got the same info from a HiFi shop web site this guy had looked into it and said he to was looking replace 2M silver cart and went for the blue 2M
I'll be going Ortofon site to get more info for my self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:50pm
Hi Jon , The main difference in upgrading to the Blue will be an improvement in tracking ability, the character of the "sound" will be very similar with a very slightly improved top end.
If it's a different sound you're after, then you'll need to look at other manufacturers.
I have over the years used various Ortofon Carts, my favourites being the VMS 20 and 30, now long since gone. The 2M gives a more modern sound, but many, me included, find bright.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic