FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New cartridge advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Superdamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New cartridge advice
    Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Dear all,

I've not needed to be here for sometime as life with my Gram Amp 2 Communicator has been quite blissful. However, the inquisitive fingers of my 3-year old has done for my Goldring 1042 stylus and so a new needle is required. As this was my second 1042, I fancy something new/different so am open to any suggestion of a replacement around the £200 mark - and my first stupid question is, would a (high output) MC cartridge be an option?

The cartridge will be fitted to an Origin Live RB250 tonearm, playing a Garrard 401 mounted to a custom plywood plinth, feeding a NAD 3020 via the aforementioned Gram Amp 2 to a pair of Mission 752 floor standers.

Any, all and every bit of help and advice would be gratefully received.

Damian
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:37am
Hi Damian,
The Goldring 1042 is one of the best MMs around & has a really good stylus.
It currently sells for over £300 so an alternative at £200 could be a downgrade IMO.
You could look at something like an Ortofon, Nagaoka or AT but not sure if you'll get
better sound.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:55pm
I moved from MM to MC a few years back, I'm happy with the Reflex C/Hana SL/OL Silver Mk lll combination currently in use and don't see a return. My last MM was the 1042 which at the time was also used with an RB250; it's now back in its original packing and in storage. If your quest to find an alternative fails then you're quite welcome to this one. 

Malcolm  
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Superdamo Superdamo wrote:

. . .and my first stupid question is, would a (high output) MC cartridge be an option?
Hi Damian - not a stupid question at all!

FWIW I use a HOMC on my Sony Biotracer to great effect - an SAE 1000E (from here). You can hear it on the videos linked to from here (playing via a Reflex M). I had a G1042 going on a former TT, a GyroSE with a Tecnoarm, and the SAE is easily in the same mould as the Goldring - a great all-rounder.

I also use a p-mount HOMC on my Technics parallel trackers (an Ortofon X1-MCP).

Do an internet search on the SAE and you'll be hard pushed to find any negative comments. I liked it so much I went back for the "line trace" LT version as a spare . . 

Failing that there are the Ortofon 2M series, and a raft of audio-technica carts - that I only know by reputation, not first hand experience - though I do have at AT mono MC which is lovely.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Superdamo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:22pm
Thank you all for your helpful input.

RichW - as only the stylus is damaged beyond repair and the cartridge body perfectly serviceable, a new 1042 could be fitted within my budget. But as I mentioned this would be my second replacement with the same stylus - the previous damage self inflicted during a turntable move - and I am in the mood for something different.

Malcolm - many thanks for your offer. I have had no problem with the 1042 during its two incarnations and maybe 7 years with me, I am just interested in finding out what alternatives are out there. Out of interest, why did you retire the arm/cartridge?

Bob - the SAE sounds very interesting but, back to the stupid bit of my question, would I still be able to use my Gram Amp with a MC? I would hate to give it up!!!
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 8:59am
Hi Damian,
Another one to consider is the Grado Prestige Gold MI. These tend to have a warmer presentation
than many.
There's also the HOMC Sumiko Blue Point.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Superdamo Superdamo wrote:

Bob - the SAE sounds very interesting but, back to the stupid bit of my question, would I still be able to use my Gram Amp with a MC? I would hate to give it up!!!
Yes - high output moving coils are designed to work into moving magnet phono amps.

The GA2 Communicator has an input range from 2mV to 10mV. The SAE (for example) outputs 2.5mV. So you'll need to turn the volume up a bit compared with a typical MM cart (say 4.5-5.0.mV), but it'll work just fine.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic