FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My Reflex M thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:45pm
Wouldn't describe the reflex at hard but suspect the Decca does have different needs due to its uniqueness. Does the Decca suit a softer sound of phono/amp?
matija4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matija4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:41pm
I think that quite a few people used this phono with decca. The other question is of course what they have tested up to now. One of the reasons for the unpleasant sound is perhaps also the speakers cable.  I have bi-wired the speakers with monster m (LF) and mogami (HF). Soon I intend to replace it with a higher model from cardas (single wire). Maybe I will borrow reflex again or revelation when I get the new cable.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:57pm
I think you will find it's the Decca cartridge. I have had a similar experience with other phono stages in the range. In my case up-tempo tracks sounded as if the bass player was having trouble keeping up. I played it to my engineers so they could witness it. All other cartridges tried could "keep up". It is an ancient design, but I can see the appeal, but it really ought to be kept as an ornament.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:20am
Originally posted by matija4 matija4 wrote:

One of the reasons for the unpleasant sound is perhaps also the speakers cable.  I have bi-wired the speakers with monster m (LF) and mogami (HF). Soon I intend to replace it with a higher model from cardas (single wire). Maybe I will borrow reflex again or revelation when I get the new cable.

Why not try the Spatia speaker cable available on the loan programme? It won't necessarily solve the Decca problem, but will be a great improvement over those you mention.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
matija4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matija4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:08am

After three years, I borrowed the reflex M again. This time with CuSat 50 interconnect.I changed the speakers and speaker cables. Now I have: kef ref. 203, parasound halo integrated, cardas cygnus.

Now the difference is much more noticeable.Compared to inbuilt stage of my parasound halo the sound was much more detailed, the bass is deeper and more defined, the dynamics is significantly greater with good rhythm.

Instead of CuSat 50 interconnect i also tried my own interconnect which is much more expensive. With the CuSat 50 I got a much more balanced sound.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 3:35am
Yes! The first step in my journey away from my budget system was to purchase my Reflex M. At the time I was using a Rega RP1/Elys2 and an old Arcam ALPHA 9 amp. The Reflex made a difference for sure, but I had to be patient, knowing that as I made other upgrades I’d hear more of its performance. 
Next step was moving through cartridges, the Rega Exact, the Ortofon 2M Bronze then Black. At each step along the way the Reflex just got better, and was clearly never outclassed. 
The I obtained the Majestic + Proprius combination, and my musical world really opened up! I just felt that the Reflex M was still giving, but the better the equipment around it got, the more of its ability was revealed. I then added the Rega RP8 and eventually the Rega Apheta 2 (with Elevator EXP) and my sound at home was noticeably better than I’d ever heard the same TT set up at a dealer. 
The final step was to add a complete loom of cables (Libran and Spatia), which settled everything into a wonderfully balanced system. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
matija4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matija4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:52pm
I listened to my turntable on two systems that are several times more expensive than mine, so I know how good is my turntable. I could replace my cartridge , but for now I don't want to do the extra cost, because i don't listen to the records very often.

Now I want to balance the rest of the system first. I will took advantage of the loan scheme and borrow spatia and lautus cables. I've already tried CuSat 50 on my cd player, and i think this is a step in the right direction.

I think the suggested amplifier (Proprius) is too weak for my speakers. Minimum requirements are 50W/8Ω.

Thanks everyone for all the tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic