FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My 24vdc Battery Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AbeCollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 24vdc Battery Project
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 5:39pm
I own the Graham Slee Era Gold V and the Elevator EXP, along with two PSU1 power supplies.  I measured the DC output and it appears to be 24vdc almost on the nose.  Is this a regulated supply or simply designed to put out ~24vdc under no load?

What is the safe DC input range for the Era Gold V and Elevator EXP?  Two 12v SLA batteries in series, no load, are putting out about  27vdc.  I'm also considering a couple 9.6vdc NiMH battery packs often used for hobby radio controlled cars and airplanes if ~18vdc is sufficient. 

What is the output voltage of the internal 3-terminal regulator?  What is a reasonable input voltage range for this regulator?

What is the typical current draw in mA at 24vdc for the Era Gold V and Elevator EXP?

I'll be using somewhat large 7aH 12v SLA batteries and to extend their life in terms of number of charge / discharge cycles, I plan to never go below about 50% of capacity before recharge.

I'll be searching a couple electronics stores today for some 2.5mm DC plugs.

Thank you!
Abe Collins - Colorado USA
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:33pm
These are actual measured voltages and not nameplate ratings which can differ on load if not regulated.

Also, it is very important NOT to try and power the Elevator EXP by the same supply that our other products are using (in this case the Era Gold V).

This is because the zero volt terminal (the negative terminal of the battery in this case) is actually -9V DC in the Elevator EXP. And in the case of the other products (Era Gold V included) zero means 0V.

By powering both from the same source they won't instantly destruct UNTIL you connect them together with an interconnect, when the RCA jack 0V of the Elevator EXP, which is actually 9 volts above the power supply zero terminal, is shorted by the 0V connection via the interconnect to the RCA jack 0V of the Era Gold V, which IS the zero terminal of the supply.

You instantly lose 9 volts via the interconnect and that's a short circuit, and if using a PSU1 the fuse would blow. With a battery things are not entirely the same - a series fuse may not prevent it.

So DON'T DO IT!

OK, now the info you wanted...

Firstly the currents: EXP = 50mA approx.; Era Gold V = 15mA approx.

To prevent the EXP's internal regulator overheating it is wise to stick as close as possible to its regular 24 V DC (27 volts is OK). The regulator will not be damaged because it is thermally protected, but it could shut down.

The Era Gold V draws substantially less current and can take up to 35V DC measured. Any more and the input filter electrolytic capacitor's life would be shortened. A considerable proportion more and it would blow.

The minimum voltage is not the regulator input voltage but the series protection diode voltage drop has to be factored in. With a zero ripple supply (which a battery is) 21 volts is the minimum. However, with an AC derived supply there will always be some ripple, and although minimal, it is best to allow half a volt more (21.5V DC, actual measured voltage again).

If you do use lead-acid remember that a discharged battery needs to be charged straight away, otherwise it will sulfate and be ruined.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:37pm
Graham -

Thank you very much for the detailed information. 

I will have to rethink my battery power supply as it now appears that I will need two separate 24vdc packs. 

I'm also looking into pre-made Li-ion battery packs which require very special care and charging.  I found a few, including chargers, that might work at http://batteryspace.com but Li-ion batteries are rather expensive.  Fortunately, at 15mA and 50mA draw, they won't have to be very big.

I'll let you know what I end up with.  Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 6:16pm
I'm running the Elevator EXP off a pair of 12vdc SLA batteries now.  The PSU1 linear supply must be outstanding because my quick unscientific test proved no difference between the battery pack and PSU1. ;-)

As posted on Audio Asylum including photos:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/86/868379.html
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:03am
Hi Abe,

Interesting stuff. Keep us informed on the differences between PSU1 and batteries as burn-in continues please.

The PSU1 is based on a much larger bench power supply which delivered just the "right" sound to my ears, so I tried to replicate it in miniature. Ever since, I've been trying to make the phono stage (and headphone amps) be less power supply dependant because of the Governator/Europe thing where they're trying to outlaw linear external supplies. That could be the reason why you're not hearing a difference right now. But I'll be pleased to learn if that changes as it helps me with further developments.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic