FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Musical fidelity lx-lps vs. Reflex-M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pjotr into music View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr into music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musical fidelity lx-lps vs. Reflex-M
    Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
hi! 

first post on this nice forum. I recently bought a Thorens 320 plus Goldring 1042 cartridge. As a phonostage i bought the MF LX-LPS. Nice stage but i was wondering if i would make a huge leap forward with the Reflex M plus PSU?

Can somebody help me out? 

thanks,
Peter
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:48pm
I have not heard the MF unit. I do have a Goldring 1042 and out of the phono stages I tried with it, the Reflex M was the only thing to cope with the high output on the most challenging, hotly cut records. Other phono preamps faltered and would create exaggerated sibilance due to overload distortion - basically the overload margin on the Reflex M is much, much more generous than other things out there today. It's not something you would notice right away if you just got your TT and cartridge - I noticed this problem with the 1042 after a few months of listening to it off and on (I play a lot of CDs in addition to vinyl). 

The best thing you can do is arrange an in-home audition through the loan program.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr into music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
Thanks David, makes a lot of sense. Very helpful. Hope some people on this forum know the MF LX-LPS also.

regards,
Peter

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:05pm
Even if no one has compared the two directly, you can always compare yourself. With the 1042 especially, I would imagine the Reflex would come out on top. 

Edited by patientot - 18 Feb 2019 at 5:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr into music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:16am
Thanks again David. 

Due to Kevin (thanks also!) I have been listening to the Reflex M + PSU1 for a few days. Cold out of the box it already had a lot more finesse, air , bass control ,3d space and just a complete feeling of Whooooaawwwww this is how my Thorens 320 + Goldring 1042 is supposed to sound like. 

First contender was Joni Mitchells The Hissing of summer lawns (this was Prince his favourite album). Instead of just hearing this great album, I immediately felt hooked to the sound and depth of the recording.
Right now i am listening to OK Computer and i have never heard this beloved album sound this good (of course the cd is not  a sonic marvel to begin with) . 

So i must admit all the forum claims about the Reflex are just very true. In the end my MF LX-LPS will be listed on Marktplaats (the Dutch e-bay) and i need to start saving some Reflex-money. 

In the meantime after the loan period i better stick to cd's. Can't go back. ;  )
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:43pm
Sounds like the test is going well! I definitely missed something when I sent the loaner back and was waiting for my own unit. I also ended up selling off my prior main phono pre. 

HOSL  and OK Computer - both great albums and classics for different reasons, though I would personally lean towards Heijira and the Bends for those artists, but that's just me. Smile
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
The Reflex is good, but you should hear the Accession. Wink
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic