FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mono Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mono Switch
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:39pm
One of the many reasons I've been drawn to the Accession (or Reflex) is the mono switch capability.  I know its purpose but not the actual way in which it works.  How does the mono switch eliminate the unwanted vertical output of a stereo cartridge when playing a mono LP?

Are the L and R vertical outputs out-of-phase and so cancel out when the two channels are added together?  Does the mono switch actually add the two channels together? Inquiring minds....

Russ
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by RussL RussL wrote:

One of the many reasons I've been drawn to the Accession (or Reflex) is the mono switch capability.  I know its purpose but not the actual way in which it works.  How does the mono switch eliminate the unwanted vertical output of a stereo cartridge when playing a mono LP?

Are the L and R vertical outputs out-of-phase and so cancel out when the two channels are added together?  Does the mono switch actually add the two channels together? Inquiring minds....

Russ

Firstly, please can you tell me where I said it will "eliminate the unwanted vertical output of a stereo cartridge when playing a mono LP" because if I did it must have been in error.

The mono switch is simply A+B/2

True mono (from stereo) is impossible because the difference signals are attenuated by 3dB. The only way to make the difference signals right in level is to step one channel 90 degrees out of phase with the other, which requires changing the relative phase differentially and gradually on both channels, and that upsets musical timing. The only use of the "true mono" circuit was on AM music stations where bandwidth was limited.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:56pm
Hi Graham - I was not inferring that you said the operation of a mono switch is as I stated in the post.  I apologize if you thought so.  As I stated in the Grado thread a few days ago, I've just jumped back into vinyl after 40 or so years.  So my memory is a little cloudy of where I've read, heard, etc., about the operation of a mono switch.

So if I understand your response, the mono switch is simply there to select (mono) when playing a mono record when using a stereo cartridge, to reduce the output level by half. Makes sense (now) to me.

I have a large collection of mono LPs as I got into audio my first year in college in 1960. I've also recently purchased some new mono reissues.  Guess I'm going to need a mono cartridge to hear them at their best. Smile

Russ
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:30pm

Hi Graham - I was not inferring that you said the operation of a mono switch is as I stated in the post.  I apologize if you thought so.  As I stated in the Grado thread a few days ago, I've just jumped back into vinyl after 40 or so years.  So my memory is a little cloudy of where I've read, heard, etc., about the operation of a mono switch.

So if I understand your response, the mono switch is simply there to select (mono) when playing a mono record when using a stereo cartridge, to reduce the output level by half. Makes sense (now) to me.

I have a large collection of mono LPs as I got into audio my first year in college in 1960. I've also recently purchased some new mono reissues.  Guess I'm going to need a mono cartridge to hear them at their best. Smile

Russ

My selection of mono records is fairly small, probably less than 15% of my collection. For that reason, I like the mono switch. If you have a lot of mono records then a mono cartridge could be worth investing in, especially for a TT with a removable headshell. IIRC after a certain year in the early 60s most mono LPs were actually cut on a stereo cutter head with a mono signal. That is certainly true of most mono reissues coming out now. Some reissue programs will use a mono cutter head, but that is rare. Classic Records used to do that, but they had a host of other problems and eventually closed. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:59pm
A+B/2 (should read (a+b)/2) takes L and R groove output (usually after amplification and equalisation) and adds it. Replacing variables with 1's we get 1+1 which is 2, but we want 1, so we divide by 2. Hence the mono switch function of A+B/2 which keeps the loudness constant, but only if monaural to start with.

The V-groove places difference signals at 0.7 or -3dB and sum signals at 1 or 0dB, and in-fact, all stereo sources have it this way.

But by making one of the variables (a or b) zero, we obtain 1+0/2 which equals 1/2 or -6dB.

Therefore stereo cannot be made mono.

To obtain true mono would require one channel being at 90 degrees to the other, but all we can achieve in "flat" amplification is 0 or 180 degrees.

Therefore to obtain true mono from stereo we have to use all-pass filters which shift phase such that at any point the phase shift on one channel is 90 degrees different to the other channel.

This means the difference signals are reproduced at the correct relative level.

In comparing radio broadcast output from the AM days, the difference could be heard, with the commercial UK stations having a harder sound, which was simply down to the A+B/2 summing. The state broadcasters often used true mono converters. Such AM modulated phase effects might be heard by an off-tune station.

The reason for me knowing all this useless stuff is because I was given an old Studer catalogue and told I had to design everything they were doing, so my employer could sell the same gear. After studying all this, the other directors overruled the first director, and so all I'd learnt was in vain.

Or, to put it another way, if any of the above can be proven wrong, I'm blaming Studer! Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 9:31pm
Whilst on the subject of mono, another interesting circuit is the M+S converter. It is of no use to the hi-fi user, but without it stereo and mono FM transmissions would not happen from the same transmitter.

The mono and stereo signals are stacked on top of each other and separated by a pilot tone which indicates stereo reception.

On mono radios only the bottom deck is received, which is a 16kHz frequency range of left and right channels mixed by A+B.

The stereo signal is A-B derived from adding A to inverted B, so that only the difference signal is transmitted, and that's on a sub-carrier which puts it in the 22kHz to 38kHz spectrum (again the frequency range is 16kHz).

If the sub-carrier exists then the pilot tone is transmitted and that signals the FM stereo receiver to demodulate the difference signal and combine it with the mono signal where it becomes stereo again.

The M+S converter simply separates the A+B and the A-B signals and routes them to the required transmitter sections.
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Russ

My selection of mono records is fairly small, probably less than 15% of my collection. For that reason, I like the mono switch. If you have a lot of mono records then a mono cartridge could be worth investing in, especially for a TT with a removable headshell. IIRC after a certain year in the early 60s most mono LPs were actually cut on a stereo cutter head with a mono signal. That is certainly true of most mono reissues coming out now. Some reissue programs will use a mono cutter head, but that is rare. Classic Records used to do that, but they had a host of other problems and eventually closed. 

Hi David- I have many, many mono LPs, most old and a few recent reissues, as I entered this hobby long ago (1960).  So a mono cartridge used with a replaceable headshell (Technics SL-1200G) or a replaceable tonearm (VPI Prime Signature) would do the trick.  But a new phono stage is first on my list.

Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic