FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A REAL Hi-Fi Owners' Club Forum With REAL Members and a Loaner Program to Prove It!

A rule of fairness:
When other manufacturers websites allow people to recommend our products instead of their own then people can do the same here, but please not before! Such posts will be deleted.
See terms and conditions here...

MM or MC ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Pushing the boundaries

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 10:22am
Most will know my feelings regarding moving coil. A few technically minded might just have noticed the difficulties it leads to - they only need to take a look at some of the earlier designs by reputable designers (there aren't many) to realise. Few of those designs work in today's "connected world" without hearing 'disturbances'. Electronic components exist to service the requirements of today (which manufacturer is going to run an expensive production line making components few will buy?), and the result of that is there are precious few suitable components available to do the job. I read elsewhere on this forum about a kit head-amp for MC with which the member was very happy. The FET used is no longer manufactured and neither are all the alternatives, so that's a dead-end. The British or Dutch made BC109C transistor which could have helped can now only be found in museums. Even so, these old circuits have something in common to the guitarist's fuzz box - they do not consider the slew-rate of the signal emanating from a MC cartridge. The math is simple and has existed numerous years so what's the excuse? It's no use me going and asking others for their help. Therefore I have to conjure up a circuit (or three) in an attempt to make the listener's lot a happy one, using components that are not designed for the job, because no component ever was (apart from a SUT of course).
There are only two things to stop you being a success in life and they're both called Google
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 12:07pm
Hi Graham,
    Yes, I've read through your (thoroughly technical and beautifully explained) ideas on the failings of MC. I'm very lucky in that where I live is mercifully quiet electronically, and in having a dedicated listening space in a studio that is not connected to the main house. I've enjoyed my 2M Black for few years now, but even on ten hours of experience, I know I'm going to enjoy the Apheta 2 even more.
The "problem" as I see it, Graham, is that you appear to have overcome the inherent weaknesses of which you speak when it comes to MC. Does that sound right? You identified problems, did your research and found solutions. Then you proceeded to find consistent and reliable ways to manufacture your product.
That sounds like good engineering practise to me! I'm loving the EXP/Reflex combination, Graham. Loving it.
Mick.
Rega RP8/Ortofon 2M Black/Rega Apheta 2 - Reflex M/Elevator EXP - C.E.C. TL5 CD Transport - MacBook Pro/JRiver - Majestic DAC - Proprius - PMC Twenty5.22
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 4:11pm
Seconding Mick's praise for GSP MC stages the Elevator EXP has made the difference between the three MC's I tried very clear but made them all excel with the music I played. I started with a second hand DL-103 then made it 'naked' but carefully removing the plastic box, the EXP made the difference in clarity obvious. When I bought a Zyx R100-L the EXP was there to reveal the extra detail, and after a couple of years of heavy use I got a second hand Transfiguration Phoenix and the EXP showed why that cartridge is highly regarded.

Occasionally I have heard interference coming through but it is an external problem and not a factor in my listening. Again I think the EXP's design helps with this. Thank you very much Graham for the years of work that went into developing the Elevator EXP and your honest account of the problems in amplifying the signal from an MC cartridge.

Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo UL, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links. and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic