FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mm or mc high output cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mateusz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mateusz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mm or mc high output cartridge
    Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:35pm
Hi guys, I know there is a lot similiar topics here, but still would like your insight. I own Technics 1200 mk5 turntable, with stock arm. My pre amp is graham slee jazz club, than to rme babyface and quad esl 57 speakers. I never tried mc, and would like to upgrade my poor and cheap mm cartridge (or switch to high output mc) . I'm looking for transparency (magic word, which each can define different way) quality soundstage. I'm looking to spend up to 200 pounds for it on second hand market, so something up to 400 or 500 (lesser known till now, best kept secret alike)
It will be mostly for enjoying acoustic/jazz/blues records from 60-80s as current electronic music, even if very interesting, is poorly mixed. Regards
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 5:39pm
Hi Mateusz.

Recommending a cartridge is a tricky thing to do - everyone will have their own favourites based on their own preferences.

I bought a new-old-stock SAE1000E (high output MC) from Thakker sometime ago. I loved it so much I went back for its "line trace" brother - which I'm going to be running in soon after years in a drawer.

Rather than try and describe the sound, you can hear it on a Dexter Gordon Blue Note track in one of my videos (through a Reflex M):

No doubt others will give you their thoughts! Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:17pm
I've often wondered about this myself! I've been a MM user and have never had a MC in my system. That looks like a good price to think about experimenting with a high output MC. I assume the character would be majoring on subtlety and detail, being a MC?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 12:14am
I have in the past often recommended the Denon DL-110 HOMC and most seem to have enjoyed it.
It is not as inexpensive as it once was (little else is either) it can be purchased from https://www.thakker.eu/en/cartridges/?filterType=CharacterGroups&addFilter=31 in Germany or 2Juki in HK.

Although for Mick who is using a 2M Black already, the Denon would not be an upgrade, from there you might need to go to something more expensive and still find it different rather than better.

Edited by tg - 02 Mar 2017 at 12:29am
Tony G
mateusz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mateusz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
Thank you guys for input. Morris_minor, thanks for audio example. I'm really interested in sae1000e but it seems its hard to get one, not to tell in good condition. Maybe you could advise me where to look for it? Or maybe know someone who has one for sale? Regards

Edited by mateusz - 02 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 1:29pm
That link I gave to Thakker's German website is, as far as I know, the only source now for these SAE carts. They sell new, unused cartridges - left over from when production stopped. Hence the "New-Old-Stock" NOS label.

Something to bear in mind about MCs (low or high output) is that the stylus is not user-replaceable. When it wears out the choice you have with a NOS cartridge is either throw it away or pay to get it re-tipped - which may be more expensive than the cartridge was in the first place. New, current MC cartridges sometimes have the manufacturer offer trade-in schemes to get a replacement at a discount.

I would offer to sell you my SAEs but I like them too much! Wink 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
mateusz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mateusz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
I won't tear you apart ;) Did you have a chance to listen through audio technica mm cartridges: at150 sa or at150mlx ? I could get them new for the same amount as sae1000e. I'm also considering Goldring 2000series (used) Cheers

PS I'm listening to your upload of Miles Davis on Vimeo through the tablet speakers and I have a goosebumps! :D so lovely.

Edited by mateusz - 02 Mar 2017 at 3:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic