FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MM mono carts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MM mono carts?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:01pm
afternoon all,

A question if i may? - what are peoples fav mono carts?

My collection of mono 7s runs the gamut from clean dead stock copies to g+ heavily skated its this copy or no copy, so whatever cart i get is going to go through the mill.

Thanks in advance, Craig

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:55am
Hi Craig,
   Have you tried the Ortofon 2M mono? Not too expensive and should be reliable?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:25am
There is also an AT VM610 Mono cartridge.
I don't personally run one, but it gives you another choice.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:40am
morning mick, looks the business

90% of my mono records are west african. The ones pressed in france and  uk- quality pressings, likewise the ones pressed up in ivory coast and emi in nigeria but after that... might be a decent pressing or might be one of the most ecentric pressings youve ever seen thats then seen plenty of action. 

So nothing too fancy as its going to go over scratches, heavy scuffing, glazed stampers and other heat damage - recordings themselves can vary between very nicely done portable nagra recordings and nice 4 track studio recordings to completely over saturated, recorded too low, and every other mistake one could make.

So something hardy whose job it is to lower noise floor is more important than high end audiophile reproduction.

I started looking online - saw a long debate on grados mono carts and gave up.

Ive been using a stereo cart summed to mono on accession into grahams monoblocks while i sort my life out and thats sounded awesome. Really added a whole new dimension to my records but i think separate mono cart to keep stereo cart away from horrors of my 7s is more sensible

Ortofon looks nice. Thats about the limit of my budget.

Craig
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:26pm
hi cagey,

Looks another good option

So both these are stereo summed to mono in the cart rather than a 'pure' mono design? Is there any difference here to summing the stereo signal to mono at the preamp stage?

Most of my mono stuff is like this

So its microgroove 60s / 70s mono - does this make a difference in cart choice?

Apologies for all the questions but i find the whole thing incredibly confusing and google makes it worse not better..

Craig
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:53pm
There is also the AT Mono3/LP High output mono which is a pure mono cartridge. LP Gear list ot as high output, but it is 1.2mV according to AT, which does not seem very hogh to me.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:51pm
that audio technica mono3 seems to be potentially the best solution. 

Looks like Africa was mono throughout 60s and 70s - i have things from 1975 marked mono - so im assuming african plants were using decomissioned euro mono lathes and stereo lathes summed to mono as were things pressed in france in 70s - so something that just takes pure mono signal rather than summed stereo but also has vertical tolerances built in looks the best bet (from my one hour of bumbled googling)

I will ask the boys if the output is enough for mm preamp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic